• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does this sound more like enneagram 3 or 7?

CallumKL243

I've considered myself an enneagram type 3 pretty much since I first tested as one, but an INTJ friend suggested that I'm more "the 3 of 7-ness" (?) so I'm just trying to make sure I didn't mistype.

Here's how I can relate to both of the types:

Three
- I'm overly competitive about everything, even insignificant things that literally don't matter
- I'm a huge perfectionist
- I'm very concerned with appropriateness
- I try to always keep my composure
- I'm driven and need to feel successful
- I'm obsessed with being the best at what I do
- I've never trusted anyone enough to show them any vulnerability
- At times I wear a "mask" of how I think I should be, and because of that, end up pushing my own feelings aside

Seven
- I've always been an adventurer
- I have a tendency towards escaping from negative feelings/situations
- I'm extremely energetic, if not manic :yay:
- My range of interests is very wide
- I'm impatient
- I can be impulsive at times
- I can't handle routine
- Just the thought of commitment makes me uncomfortable - It feels like I'd be losing my freedom

I'm weird in that I obsess over seemingly seven activities (for example, I ran the Great Wall Marathon last year, and am now planning a trip to Rwanda to go gorilla trekking) but then chart out exactly how to make them happen, in effect taking all the spontaneity out of them. I then go on to what's next on the (now very long) list. It just doesn't seem like a very Seven-like approach to me.

In any case, I probably have both in my tritype. My friend also thinks I'm a high Ni-user, but from what I understand a future orientation could just correspond to types 3 or 7. Come to think of it, the only letter dichotomy I'm sure about is E since I run out of energy within about five minutes of being left alone and tested on the borderline for the last three letters.

Thanks for reading. I hope you all have a fantastic Valentine's Day.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see your conundrum; it's not uncommon to have traits commonly associated to many types, and some are just more stereotypical examples.

I think it's very true 7s can have a narcissistic streak, but at the end of the day, I think there's just a sense in which the 7's narcissism is self-indulgent and not quite a serious, fundamental concern with establishing one's value/significance in the way the 2-3-4 triad is concerned with. It's unpleasant to be criticized, it's pleasing to hear awesome things about oneself, but at the end of the day, there isn't as direct a rationalization of value/significance and more just an indulgent pleasure-seeking in the 7s.

The fact that the heart triad is concerned with one's value is not unrelated to the idea that Jung's feeling function makes judgments of value, but the key difference is that enneagram is more about complexes (sort of viscerally emotionally charged associations) than the higher level rationalizations of the ego, so it's possible to have a complex about one's value and be more of a T type (which 3s certainly can be).

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As someone who has both 3 and 7 in their tritype you can easily have both :). We have an heart, a guts and a head type and due to 3 being heart and 7 head this means both can exist. If you have both 3 and 7 this means then you can place 3 and 7 and then the final puzzle piece left would be your guts which is 8,9 or 1. Overall you seem 3w2 and 7w8 (Just an intial impression which I would take with a grain of salt) but more information is needed on the guts side though.

CallumKL243

Yeah, I definitely have 3w2 and 7w8, I'm surprised you could get the wings just from the few lines I wrote! :happy0065: And I'm pretty sure my gut type is 1w9. What's more confusing is figuring out my Core type.

CallumKL243

Also, if anyone got any sort of idea about the instinctual variant stacking that would also be very helpful. :hug:

Rouskyrie

I've considered myself an enneagram type 3 pretty much since I first tested as one, but an INTJ friend suggested that I'm more "the 3 of 7-ness" (?) so I'm just trying to make sure I didn't mistype.

Three
- I'm overly competitive about everything, even insignificant things that literally don't matter
- At times I wear a "mask" of how I think I should be, and because of that, end up pushing my own feelings aside

Seven
- I'm impatient
- I can't handle routine
- Just the thought of commitment makes me uncomfortable - It feels like I'd be losing my freedom

I'm weird in that I obsess over seemingly seven activities (for example, I ran the Great Wall Marathon last year, and am now planning a trip to Rwanda to go gorilla trekking) but then chart out exactly how to make them happen, in effect taking all the spontaneity out of them. I then go on to what's next on the (now very long) list. It just doesn't seem like a very Seven-like approach to me.

In any case, I probably have both in my tritype. My friend also thinks I'm a high Ni-user, but from what I understand a future orientation could just correspond to types 3 or 7. Come to think of it, the only letter dichotomy I'm sure about is E since I run out of energy within about five minutes of being left alone and tested on the borderline for the last three letters.

Given that your tritype seems to be 7w8, 3w2, and 1w9 in some order, you can relate to the description of archetype 137, correct?

That being, of course:

The Systems Builder
bless
Interest:
– achieving goals
– do your best + enjoy doing it
– success + recognition
– need completion
– enjoy freedom
bless
Mission:
– figure out what needs to be done + find a pleasant way to do it
bless
Character:
– diligent
– ambitious
– innovative
– ethical
– efficient
– upbeat
– self-motivated
– perfectionist
– appropriate
– positive
– successful
– orderly
– focused
– productive
– creative
– delusional
– think they know
– visionary
– enjoyable
– interpersonal
– achieving
– socially adaptable
– goal-oriented
– competitive
– extrovert
– assertive
– leader
– socially adept
– flexible
– open
– selfish
– arrogant
bless
Blind spot:
– very perfectionistic -> miss seeing what is important to them
– overly focused on what appears to be successful, positive or appropriate

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Three

Seven
- I'm impatient
- I can't handle routine

I thought this thread had some pretty good points: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/62235-difference-e3-e7.html