• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTJ or INTJ?

Harratus

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've just taken a cognitive processes test that seems to indicate that I am an ISTJ. The "normal" tests always show that I am an INTJ. The problem I have is that I don't know how to answer a certain type of question like "You feel more comfortable sticking to conventional ways". I tend to stick to conventional ways, because if they are still used today, they must have some merit. If I decide it doesn't work as well as it should, I usually find a new and better way with little difficulty. I enjoy solving problems and "fixing" things, but only if I feel it's worth the effort. So does this mean I'm more S or N?

redacted

Ns tend to think of their own ways to solve problems even if the current standard works fine.

I'd guess you're ISTJ. But it's really up to you to research the functions more deeply if you're still unresolved.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
If you took a cognitive test then it indicated nothing, other than currently you are using your Si more. Perhaps you are reflecting back on your past for some reason to gauge how you proceed with something in your life. Nevertheless, cognitive test cannot tell you your preference of type.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Cognitive tests indicate I'm ISFP, MBTI test indicate I'm INTP, in reality I'm INTJ, read the type descriptions, look at the cognitive processes orders, get to know the differences and you should be able to see what you are. There are some pretty significant differences between ISTJ and INTJ.

In terms of the question: I tend to stick to conventional ways, because if they are still used today, they must have some merit... Not even slightly true for me, I'm always looking for ways to improve on the tested and tried methods, always.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Oh! The cognitive functions test.

INJs are always testing badly on a particular one, with Si higher than Ni because frankly, the Ni questions make no sense to Ni-dominant users. Because Ni feels 'natural' to them and has no mystic aftertaste whatesoever, they score lower on Ni than SPs and even NPs.

Then again, that's provided it's the same test...

And, one big difference between ISJs and INJs is that SJs find a meaning in routine, while NJs tend to have strict routines because they'd rather just set their physical world to automatic... or so I've heard.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Oh! The cognitive functions test.

INJs are always testing badly on a particular one, with Si higher than Ni because frankly, the Ni questions make no sense to Ni-dominant users. Because Ni feels 'natural' to them and has no mystic aftertaste whatesoever, they score lower on Ni than SPs and even NPs.
Actually everyone tests bad on the cognitive assessments because it's simply not a good indicator of your overall function preferences. It merely gives an indication which cognitive function you are most likely using at the time of the assessment. I have taken then where Se was one of my last functions and Fe was one of my higher. It's not going to result in anyone determing their type.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
True.

I just remember the Ni questions being particularly bad, though.

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
Try this with me...
If I placed an apple in front of you, what would you tell me about it?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've just taken a cognitive processes test that seems to indicate that I am an ISTJ. The "normal" tests always show that I am an INTJ. The problem I have is that I don't know how to answer a certain type of question like "You feel more comfortable sticking to conventional ways". I tend to stick to conventional ways, because if they are still used today, they must have some merit. If I decide it doesn't work as well as it should, I usually find a new and better way with little difficulty. I enjoy solving problems and "fixing" things, but only if I feel it's worth the effort. So does this mean I'm more S or N?

I would say no. To not think of something new because the old ways are proven and efficient is no indication for a N or S or whatsoever. That is more a logical decision.

To grasp the difference between N and S is difficult, because they are both perceiving functions, and furthermore the N function is something from the unconsious parts of the brain.

The main difference between N and S is that the first concentrates on meanings or relations between objects and the latter concentrates on the objects.

That could mean, for example an Extroverted Intuitor that is introduced to some new people at a party, will after the introduction not remember all of the names or how the people looked. But he will probably have a sympathy or antipathy feeling he can associate with the people, he just got to know. Or to describe it better, when it is not a feeling, it will be something like a mnemonic thing, like "The guy with grey hair works for a company, I can make sells to". Or "The boobs of the woman with brown eyes, where under no circumstances for real".

A Sensor draws these connections aswell but his important points lay elsewhere. For example: "The woman with the long brown hair, brown eyes and beautiful dress, whose name was Elise, made a very firm and gentle receiving when I was introduced to her. - She maybe works in a public relations job".

So the N is more likely to draw associations, while the S focuses on the tangible. This sort of behaviour but is only clearly visible, if you encounter MBTI types, who use it as a primary extroverted function.

With your type it is more difficult. You have either primary Si and Ne or primary Ni and Se. This is a complex combination and it cant be really picked out of the blind.

First of all I can recommend to you, as I always recommend, reading this post. This is one of the best functional analysis I have seen this far:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/4629-infj-profile.html

Secondly I can describe it in my words, but I am not very good at it.

The Ni has the same meanings and relationships thing going on like for example the primary Ne. But he does it not with all things, but just with those things he likes. So he is more selectively and has most of the times areas, where he is an expert and where he comes up with applicable new ideas or relations between things.

The Si on the other hand is more routinized. He has through his tertiary Ne the faculty to find new associations between the to him unknown things in the world, but he is not on the search for it like everytime. The Si is more inclined to have a community he lives, loves and works in that does not change and has its own rituals. I bet but that is just an assumption, when an Si is perfectly content with the situation he lives in, it is very unlikely that he will be ever going to change it. But then again, to be realistic, situations are less likely to be perfect.

My best friend is an ISTJ and there are two great faculties he is a master in. The first is strategy (ranging from war games to business) and soccer. You really can not beat him at any of those two and I know him for like 10 years now. He plays in both of his fields of intrest by the rules and he is constantly absorbing new information about for example new players in soccer teams or new business strategies on the market.

I had another good friend, who I would type to be INTJ. I knew him for like 8 years, but I knew him a bit earlier than the ISTJ. Our friendship eventually broke up, because I had had several changes of my lifestyle and he could not keep up with the pace my personality changed. So he quit the friendship, because he did not trust me anymore.

He in comparison to the ISTJ was very into sports too. He also knew every new player. He played an online game with the ISTJ, where you had your own soccer team. He sometimes lost, he sometimes won the season. I remember him saying about the ISTJ that he is too predictable to him. What was a mistake, because my ISTJ colleague then changed strategies to unconventional and bet him :).
Furthermore the INTJ started to widen his intrest in sports. He started to explore new connections and possibilities and so he pretty soon became an expert on everything. You pretty could talk to him about american football, he knows a lot of the teams. I bet he even is intrested in gymnastics right now.

And that was not all. His intrest in sports and strategy within it, developed further until he found his profession, he had grown unbelievably professional at. Chess. I once played a game against him and I got so bored after the first two rounds, because he was waiting between moves for like 5 hours *lol*. I quit the game after the second round, because I had drunk my beer that fast that I could forfeit :D.

Another intresting fact is that he has become intrested in books aswell. Well he always was a big reader and in university he choosed the topic literature.

So what I wanted to say: If I were to ask my ISTJ colleague about developing intrest in some other sports besides soccer, he will surely make a joke of the sports game and then go back to soccer. He will, when he grows older, surely widen his intrest, but he will do it slowly. He has Ne and I have primary Ne, so we often exhibit a special cosmic quality in our meetings. When my ideas are reasonable and realistic, there is the possibility that he is drawn to them aswell and sees an epic possibility as I do. But this is most of the times only related to business strategies and to make cash. I can imagine that he and I will run some day our own business or at least work together.

The INTJ on the other hand is more likely to bring new aspects into his intrests, as long as they fit into his general intrest. He develops faster than the ISTJ towards his intrests. But he is the one that has grown a little bit out of reality and sometimes seems frightening. He has become a bit odd because he is fixated on his intrests and they start to interfere with a normal persons perception of reality. I do not know how he is today, havent seen him for like 3 years. Maybe I will give him a call...

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
entropie said:
And that was not all. His intrest in sports and strategy within it, developed further until he found his profession, he had grown unbelievably professional at. Chess. I once played a game against him and I got so bored after the first two rounds, because he was waiting between moves for like 5 hours *lol*. I quit the game after the second round, because I had drunk my beer that fast that I could forfeit.
Sorry if I'm interrupting, but for this part did you mean the INTJ did this? Why do you think that was the case?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Sorry if I'm interrupting, but for this part did you mean the INTJ did this? Why do you think that was the case?

Yea the INTJ. Well I do not know why exactly, his intrest in chess came out of nowhere as it seemed by the time.

I wanted to point out by that that he was using intuition by finding new intrests in his main intrests and starting to get intrested in them. He was always into sports and its rules and strategies but he really was never into board or card games.

So I draw the connection there: while I as an Ne really do never miss it to get to know a new way of seeing the world, thinking, opportunity for change or to put it briefly a new card game. He did the same, but with Ni and that was highly specialized in his field of intrest. What brought him to draw out of his intrest in sport strategies and all sorts of sports aswell a new relation, to become a professional chess player.

These are all just assumptions, tho. And it is describing the process, while Intuition is not really an explanation for the process, more for how he was perceiving things.

But I am really the world's last person to talk to, when it comes to the INJ psyche :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Here are a few reliable tests:

Thomson-Maidenbaum Personality Inventory

Discordia Inc.

Personality test based on Jung - Myers-Briggs typology

The "conventional" question is definitely them trying to discover if you're more S or more N, but I don't think it's a well-asked question because while I typically don't care what the conventional way of doing things is, sometimes I'd rather not bother reinventing the wheel, so I will find out what the conventional way is for doing whatever... but not because I'm an S.

Come back and let us know the results of the 3 tests.
The discordia one is really awesome because it's hard to skew it.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Here are a few reliable tests:

Thomson-Maidenbaum Personality Inventory

Discordia Inc.

Personality test based on Jung - Myers-Briggs typology

The "conventional" question is definitely them trying to discover if you're more S or more N, but I don't think it's a well-asked question because while I typically don't care what the conventional way of doing things is, sometimes I'd rather not bother reinventing the wheel, so I will find out what the conventional way is for doing whatever... but not because I'm an S.

Come back and let us know the results of the 3 tests.
The discordia one is really awesome because it's hard to skew it.
Mom, you referred him to Humanmetrics. I think there is a consensus that it's one of the worst when it comes to the arguments being made here. The other two are extremely good, but at some point people are going to realize that determining one's type takes self-analylsis and there are no quick fixes to this determination than anything else in life.

Well here is my sale for the umteenth time. If you are attempting to determine your type, the fail proof system is to determine your core temperament. If anyone is struggling with knowing their core temperament, then they're just mentally lazy. However keep in mind that you do prefer a dominant and secondary temperament. Here is the test that I generally refer people to. The test should be taken as though you are at work or with people, not as alone as other tests instruct. But even after you become comfortable with your core temperament, you still have to determine your best fit type where as I consider the interaction style to be most helpful.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Mom, you referred him to Humanmetrics. I think there is a consensus that it's one of the worst when it comes to the arguments being made here. The other two are extremely good, but at some point people are going to realize that determining one's type takes self-analylsis and there are no quick fixes to this determination than anything else in life.

Well here is my sale for the umteenth time. If you are attempting to determine your type, the fail proof system is to determine your core temperament. If anyone is struggling with knowing their core temperament, then they're just mentally lazy. However keep in mind that you do prefer a dominant and secondary temperament. Here is the test that I generally refer people to. The test should be taken as though you are at work or with people, not as alone as other tests instruct. But even after you become comfortable with your core temperament, you still have to determine your best fit type where as I consider the interaction style to be most helpful.
I was unfamiliar with anyone else's opinion of the humanmetrics test.
It's one of my favorites. I've been using it for many years.
I like it because I believe its length reduces the margin of error.
Surely NO TEST available on the internet is 100% accurate 100% of the time.
I doubt if even the professionally administered ones are either.
The test results are just to get a person pointed in the correct general direction.
Even after a person receives their results, they should still use their own intelligence and self-understanding to verify that the type description actually describes them to at least 85% accuracy.

I just took the test you linked.
I see that it is a product of Linda Berens.
I don't care for her work, but I did come out INTJ, though.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
Even though it was a "fruit", not an apple, the first thing that came to mind with the apple was "Adam and Eve"..