• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Many views, just one reply. What's wrong with my thread? Am I untypable?

DigitalSoul

Discovering personality psychology and the various typologies has changed my life, however, in order to be able to use these powerful tools for self-development, I first need to know my type, which is why I really need your help.

I answered the PC questionnaire. Some of you may not find it helpful enough; in that case, please suggest another questionnaire or a test.

Others here are more into the Enneagram and will perhaps find this questionnaire completely useless for such a typing. Again, please suggest a questionnaire or a test.

In any case, I wholeheartedly ask you to not simply ignore this thread; if there's anything wrong about it, by all means do let me know. The more people reply to this thread, the more confident I will be about the typing, as opinions will eventually converge, and being reasonably sure of my personality type means A LOT to me.

Thanks!

Background info: Male, 30+, non-native speaker of English

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type? N/A

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

God, Meaning, Wisdom, Knowledge, kindness, Social Justice, serenity, and quietness.

These are all part of my psychic firmware, not rational choices I made, but if I absolutely have to provide reasons for them then:

God because "He" is the Ultimate Reality, the Source of all Goodness, Holiness, Peace, Love and Joy.

Meaning because life (without God) is inherently meaningless; a pointless tragedy.

Wisdom because it is essential to self-development and counseling others.

Knowledge because it can increase wisdom. Also because I love -it's addictive- that moment when I learn something and it feels like part of my inner representation of Reality has been enlightened. Inside my head, I see darkness; something like a dark universe. Whenever I learn something fascinating, I can see in my mind's eye part of that darkness being illuminated.

Kindness, because I'm naturally kind, very polite, sensitive, and gentle. I feel the world is such a hostile place, full of harshness, rudeness, mercilessness, cruelty etc. As Thomas Hobbes put it "The condition of man ... is a condition of war of everyone against everyone.".

Social Justice because, my heart breaks at the fact that there are people who are hungry, homeless, without medical care, and access to basic education. These are the most fundamental and inalienable human rights, but thanks to Corporatocracy, there's never enough money available for these people. I'm also "not a big fan" of discrimination against women.

Serenity because the inner world of a neurotic person, such as myself, is turbulent.

Quietness because unless it's my favorite music, I don't like ANY kind of loud noise, especially bad music (of course that's subjective) and chatter/laughter.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I'm thinking of my time at university. I was a. living alone, and was thus 100% free to pursue my preferred lifestyle (for example, I didn't have my parents purposely throwing my recycling bags in the ordinary garbage), and b. doing one of the things I love the most, learning, and thus coming closer to finding answers to life's big questions (not a trivial knowledge fan here). I really miss that constant contact with knowledge and ideas. I also miss that false sense of living in the world (with all its ugliness and viciousness), and yet, at the same, being away from it, in a semi-secluded environment of exciting ideas and minds. Plus, I didn't have to adult back then.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

All the ways in which I'm different from the average, well-functioning in the real world person.

These include my severe procrastination problem, lack of assertiveness, well below average love for money, moderate ambitiousness, and general passivity and indifference towards life and the real world. They also include my chronic problems with various forms of anxiety and depression, as well as elements of other mental health problems. I don't feel comfortable to list here the remaining ways in which I'm different from the average, well-functioning person, but you get the idea.

I also feel inferior when I'm not performing in at least the top 5-10%, especially when it comes to tasks that involve cognitive performance. I need to be in the elite to simply feel "ok", and not worthless, average.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

It really depends on the decision.

In general, however, my decisions are usually compromises between what my inner self needs/desires and what my loved ones need/desire. I go to great lengths to avoid hurting them with my decisions, sometimes to the point of sacrificing myself and going with Plan B or even Plan C.

Once the decision has been made, I begin researching the details of the implementation and weighing up the pros and cons.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

My emphasis is always on the quality of outcome. I am an obsessive perfectionist, and by that I mean one who does not strive for perfection by choice, but by psychological need; I simply cannot stand to turn in anything that's less than perfect. It should come, therefore, as no surprise that I need to have total control of the outcome, which is one reason I don't like group work -rarely, if ever, are members of a work group equally skilled-, the other reason being that I like to work alone.

Being an obsessive perfectionist, I will spend an inordinate amount of time making sure everything's perfect and that, together with the fact that I'm a serious procrastinator, make me the perfect deadline extension request candidate.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I don't recall the last time I had a lot of fun. In fact, I think I'm "allergic" to the very notion of "fun", as it is commonly understood. I prefer to have a meaningful time. I mostly remember one or two images and the strongest emotion from the beautiful and meaninful times I've had in my life. I'm least likely to remember the clothes people were wearing, and the exact conversations we had.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?

I learn best by attending lectures, followed by reading. Nothing more is required.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?

I have a very organized mp3/e-book/cd/book/magazine/dvd collection. I also have a very organized "My Documents" folder and email inbox. Moreover, I have folders with all my important documents, and the same documents scanned and saved in an encrypted folder in my computer. I sometimes make "to-do" lists and create reminders on my phone's or my computer's calendar app, for important appointments (or for magazines/newspapers that are published fortnightly), despite the fact that I rarely -if ever- forget the things I need to do, especially my important appointments.

On the other hand, my room has always been very messy (sometimes extremely messy), I don't make very detailed plans, and I prefer my free time to be unscheduled and do things according to my mood and energy levels.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I don't think judge new ideas, as absurd as that may seem. I just absorb them, unless they're ridiculous, based on my own, I guess arbritrary, threshold for ridiculousness. The final judge is, of course, the existence of supporting evidence, the best method for acquiring such evidence being the scientific method. But, I enjoying learning about ideas such as Dark Matter/Energy, the Multiverse, and other stuff that are still hypotheses. Even if they're disproven, they sometimes serve as useful metaphors or analogies in philosophical/religious/psychological conversations. If an idea cannot be subjected to the scientific method (e.g., Ethics or Religion), then I'll go with what makes sense to me and "feels" right. I do concede to holding contradictory beliefs, seeing, for example, the valid points of each side in the Science vs. Religion argument, and not being able, therefore, to become a militant Theist or Atheist. My inner idea landscape is messy and I am aware of my self-contradictions.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

My primary source of sense of harmony and inner peace is from my living according to my religious and other beliefs. This is followed by making sure that everyone is doing fine, in the sense that they are alright physically and psychologically, and that they don't need any help (if they do, I'll gladly offer it).

Generally speaking, I'm not interested in whether people belong to a given group -it's their choice and their "problem". And if I'm interested about whether people belong to a group I care about, I'm not the type of person who will try to convince/push them to join.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

There's a strong chance that I'm an introvert, and introverts generally talk a lot less than they think, so I'd say that I think before speaking. I have noticed though that sometimes when I'm talking, I say things (e.g., insights) I've never thought before, so there's some chance that part of me is actually thinking while talking.

I definitely prefer one-on-one communication.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I definitely need to know where I'm jumping before leaping, and that's why I do A LOT of research before I make a decision. I'm risk-averse and don't like unpleasant surprises.

Much as I hate to admit it, action does indeed speak louder than words -you can guess I'm not good at action. You can preach philanthropy for days, and achieve a fraction of the motivational and educational effect you would achieve by simply offering a cup of food with your own hands.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I would stay at home and watch the show, unless it was a REALLY special occasion / night out.

I generally can't do things at such short notice. It's as if the information has to enter my system early, in order for my organism to do some sort of quiet, internal, unknown to me preparation for doing something.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

Binge eat and spend hours of, for the most part, mindless internet browsing, or watching TV. I might also go for a walk, during which I will not think "at all" (due to psychological exhaustion) and just notice whatever beautiful there is in the environment.

In case I'm stressed out while doing something, I may shout at anyone who interrupts my concentration.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

People who are harsh, angry, aggressive, domineering, or heartless/inhumane, feel like sulfuric acid thrown at my soul. I also don't like people who are blunt, rude, emotionally cold, materialistic, stingy, demanding, or with big egos.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

The Big Questions and their life (who they are, their psychological timeline, what they yearn for, etc).

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?

Fashion, perfumes, watches/jewelry, sports, cars, cafes/bars, gourmet cuisine, events, business news, and money.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

My friends perceive me as a good / kind-hearted guy who is very intelligent, very knowledgeable, deep, philosophical, but also a hermit who disappears with no warning for various lengths of time, oftentimes forever.

They would never say that I am the things I'm not, which are mentioned in Q. 4 and Q. 16 .

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

In the morning, I'd wake up, pray, have breakfast, and either watch tv (cartoons or a documentary), or, depending on my finances, go down town to my favorite bookstores (and record stores, when they still existed). After that, I'd take a long, solitary walk by the sea-side, where I would listen to lots of music (mostly classical, electronic, and ethnic), and think about the past/present/future (mine and of the world). Then I'd have lunch by the sea-side, while reading my favorite newspapers. After that, I would return home, I'd sleep for a couple of hours, and then I'd read a book or magazine. Next, I'd check my emails and social networks profiles, I'd reply to any messages, perhaps I'd chat with / call a friend, and quite likely would call my parents to check how they are. In the night, I'd watch the latest episodes of some of my favorite paranormal reality television series, read something spiritual and pray for an hour or so.

Last edited:

DigitalSoul

Ok, I'm hoping that by adding the following, I might help, even a little.

Random certainties about myself:

Wisdom is, in all likelihood, my most desirable virtue. For that reason, I've been collecting quotes since I was teenager, and I always remember the ones that make it into my notebook (back then) or .doc file. It was also back then that I realized that I identified with the archetype of the wise old man, at least 10 years before I read about Jungian Archetypes.

I have a big appetite for the paranormal. If there was a channel with only paranormal reality shows, I'd rarely change the channel. The paranormal, the otherwordly, the "other side", the mysterious attracts me like nothing else.

In philosophical, religious, or scientific debates, I have trouble taking sides and becoming an apologist for one of the opposing views, because I can usually see the good arguments in both sides. As Arthur C. Clarke put it "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", and this is exactly how I feel.

I've been told, and sometimes accused, throughout my life that I'm "sensitive", and by that they've always meant "too sensitive". The truth is that I was and still am a sensitive person, with a good chance of also being a Highly Sensitive Person. The only difference is that in the past decade I became significantly less sensitive, as chronic exposure to very difficult life circumstances makes your skin grow thicker. But in my teens, I was a "bleeding heart" at times, usually in romantic relationships.

I've also been accused of thinking too much, of being hyper-analytical. I don't view myself as an INTP or an INTJ, as I don't have THAT amount of mental/brain stamina for analyzing things, but the truth is that I am the kind of person that does dissect things a lot, myself being the usual victim, and that I have burdened teachers and counselors of all sorts with my questions, as I have many AND difficult ones.

I learn foreign languages easily and love words/languages in general. I care about spelling (as a child I was top of the class in spelling bees and had an extensive vobaculary), grammar, syntax, etymology, and good writing. People frequently compliment me on my writing and suggest that I should write something.

I've never been able to really care about, desire, and manage money. Until soon after university, I had a blind spot for money management. It was a good ESTJ friend who gradually taught me that things have prices, that prices differ from place to place, that you can save money by looking for "1+1" offers, and every other thing you can imagine about saving and managing money. He wasn't trying to teach me; he was just being himself. I, on the other hand, would spend money on buying textbooks and other books, and ended up owing money to the university for room and board. I'm a very impulsive spender when it comes to books and music. Whenever I go to a bookstore, I'm sweating like a horse, like an addict who can't have the exact dose s/he needs; only my "dose" is the entire Religion/Philosophy/Psychology section of the bookstore.

As I child I had very weird relationship with violence. I was very kind and good-natured, would never start a fight, but when someone would seriously hurt me emotionally and/or physically, I would beat him again and again. The most extreme example of this was when a child that was one year younger than me, in primary school, almost chocked me to death. I remember beating him for the rest of the school year, in almost every single break. As an adult, it has happend twice that someone threatened someone I loved dearly (usually my mother or some other loved one), and I exploded and turned into Hulk or something. Deep down, I'm afraid that some day, I might turn into Hulk again and seriously beat someone.

I have A LOT more mental energy than physical.

sardonic delight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe you're an INFJ. It's not from the the spiritual side of you. Your answers felt very Fe and the random things you mentioned about yourself I started seeing some Ni and inferior Se. Maybe you're INFP, but I just see a lot of higher Fe and lower Se.

I've never been able to really care about, desire, and manage money. Until soon after university, I had blindspot for money management. It was a good ESTJ friend who gradually taught me that things have prices, that prices differ from place to place, that you can save money by looking for "1+1" offers, and every other thing you can imagine about saving and managing money. He wasn't trying to teach me; he just being himself. I, on the other hand, would spend money on buying textbooks and other books, and ended up owing money to the university for room and board. I'm a very impulsive spender when it comes to books and music. Whenever I go to a bookshop, I'm sweating like a horse, like an addict who can't have the exact dose s/he needs; only my "dose" is entire Religion/Philosophy/Psychology sections of the bookstore...

I relate so much to this, especially the impulsively spending on books and music. Same reaction too. Books, movies, and music are like food and oxygen to me.

DigitalSoul

I believe you're an INFJ. It's not from the the spiritual side of you. Your answers felt very Fe and the random things you mentioned about yourself I started seeing some Ni and inferior Se. Maybe you're INFP, but I just see a lot of higher Fe and lower Se.

[MENTION=28526]sardonic delight[/MENTION], thank your very much for replying and for taking the time to justify your opinion. :) I agree that my spiritual side, though very important to me and NF-ish in appearance, isn't a safe indicator of being this or that type, so I'm really glad you were able to see "something", regarding the functions, in my text.

I relate so much to this, especially the impulsively spending on books and music. Same reaction too. Books, movies, and music are like food and oxygen to me.

Let's form a support group and call it "Mediaholics Anonymous". :D

Again, thank you very much for your reply! :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ - based on manner of expressing more than content of what was said (which just sounds like standard NF stuff for the most part).

DigitalSoul

INFJ - based on manner of expressing more than content of what was said (which just sounds like standard NF stuff for the most part).

Thank you very much, [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]!

I apologize for the late reply, but I wasn't checking my thread regularly as I have honestly given up hope.

yoliyoli

This is a late reply but hey, whatever. Let's go. Let's see... ISFJ. Mostly because of this quote:

DigitalSoul said:
Social Justice because, my heart breaks at the fact that there are people who are hungry, homeless, without medical care, and access to basic education. These are the most fundamental and inalienable human rights, but thanks to Corporatocracy, there's never enough money available for these people. I'm also "not a big fan" of discrimination against women.
An INFJ wouldn't word it like that. It's too simple. It's too easy. Not that you're simple or easy, far from. But INFJs tend to get all gushy about it. It's how you worded it mostly that gave it away. It's very Si ish in the way you say "never enough money available for these people" - it's just never for you. There's no reason behind it, it just is. And that's very Si. History and all that. Patterns. It makes sense.

And this, too, this is very introspective so it indicates to me inferior or tert Ti:

DigitalSoul said:
I've never been able to really care about, desire, and manage money. Until soon after university, I had a blind spot for money management. It was a good ESTJ friend who gradually taught me that things have prices, that prices differ from place to place, that you can save money by looking for "1+1" offers, and every other thing you can imagine about saving and managing money. He wasn't trying to teach me; he was just being himself. I, on the other hand, would spend money on buying textbooks and other books, and ended up owing money to the university for room and board.

It's very Ti to reference yourself like that, with the I. Also, ISFJs read. Like no other. So it makes sense you spent it on books, haha. My ISFJ friend does that. In fact she has a whole collection and very well organized too.

Si is very languagey too so it makes sense you've got a love for languages (me too <3). All in all you're very into specifics so you seem like an ISFJ, and a battle warrior ISFJ at that. They're great social activists too, you know.