• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or INFP based on cognitive functions?

sylviar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Hi. This is my first post, so bear with me! So after a few months of really delving into typology and MBTI personality types, I am finding myself more confused than I was in the first place.

At first, I typed as INFJ and every description I read made me feel completely understood. I watched copious amounts of videos and read literature pertaining to INFJs, and felt like I had finally found something that defined me and gave some perspective and logic to why I felt like I never fit in or viewed the world in the same manner as others.

However, there are certain aspects of being an INFJ that I completely don't relate to, and here's where it gets tricky. I do not empathize with people to the point of feeling their emotions - in fact, I am so highly judgmental that as soon as a I get a read on a particular person, which can happen in seconds, I immediately discredit them as a potential partner or friend, and decide to what extent I'm annoyed by them and their personality - I don't take into account why they might be like that or try to understand their perspective until later on, if I get to know them, which usually doesn't happen.

Once I get to know someone, I am extremely defensive of them. For example, I made friends with your typical 'sorority girl' type through circumstance this year - hated her at first, but eventually became very defensive of her personality to whoever criticized her because I had gotten to know her - but I normally don't take the time to get to know people that I discredit, so this is a rare occurrence.

Maybe I'm just an asshole. Although I love the idea of helping people and making the world a better place, and am extremely passionate about several social issues (once you get me started, I will rant for HOURS - there's a world of simmering anger at the world's many injustices underneath the surface), I find myself inherently annoyed by people and have very little patience for people's emotions and whims unless I know them and care about them.

However, in a public setting, I will act extremely warm and sociable, always checking in on people and pretending as though I care deeply - when in reality, I could absolutely loathe you and be harshly judging every word you say and every move you make.

I like to think that I keep everything hidden and below the surface, because I don't like to reveal how I'm truly feeling - but people who know me well say that if something is wrong, they can instantly see it in my eyes or feel my 'energy' shift.

Because I don't fully relate with the cognitive functions of an INFJ, I decided to take a few cognitive function tests - which, instead of clarifying things for me, confused me even more. Each time I take the tests, no matter how much I try to ensure that I'm being totally honest and realistic, I end up testing almost exactly the same in not only Fi & Fe, but Ni & Ne. We're talking perfectly - the last one I took, I tested around 50% Fi and 55% Fe, 75% Ni and 75% Ne.

I don't know how it is possibly that my use of both INFJ and INFP dominant functions bisects so perfectly. I'm hoping someone can provide me with some insights - I really enjoy the whole personality type thing, because it really helps me feel understood - but I've been so confused lately!

here's a questionnaire I found somewhere random, maybe this'll help too.

What makes you respect individuals, groups, or organizations? List whatever you can think of.

I respect people who have an appreciation for the cultured and aesthetically beautiful, and who are introspectively intelligent and highly aware of/concerned about social issues. I don't like it when people blindly follow an ideology, but love if someone is knowledgeable on one of the many issues that plagues our society and can speak on it in a manner that is both intelligent and empathetic.

What kind of things turn you off about a person, a brand/company, or a particular environment? What gets under your skin (in a bad way)?

Vapidity, arrogance, and people who blindly follow 'trends'. When people don't understand the big picture or are overtly insensitive to how others feel. People who try to control EVERYTHING about an environment and get upset or angry if one person steps out of line. If it doesn't seem like you appreciate art, culture, or the beauty of the world.

On another note, people who are overly emotional and expect others to always be their 'dumping ground' really get on my nerves. Emotionally needy is how you'd describe it, I guess.

How good is your memory for detail? Specific conversations you've had in the past, little tasks that need to get done, what you were doing the first time you heard a song or tried a food, etc.

I'm terrible at remembering small tasks, even if they are important. I forget to pay parking tickets and bring things to work, that sort of thing. However, if you wrong me or say something to me that I feel doesn't align with my ideologies or hurts me, I will never, ever forget it. I'm like an elephant, in that respect. I can remember things when they're triggered, but not specifics. Like someone will say something, and I'll think that I remember it from SOMEWHERE or say "oh, that reminds me of something, but I can't think of what."

What do you spend the most time thinking about - the past, the present, the future? Practical topics, logistical issues, relationships with people, theoretical concepts, issues of morality/ethics? Do you find yourself fixating on one thing, coming back to it, and trying to figure it out, or are you more prone to meandering through multiple tangentially related topics? Do you often daydream/space out? When you do daydream or fantasize, what kind of things do you imagine and think about?

I am rarely in the present unless I am required to be. I would say my thinking is about 25/75 past/future. I do consider the past quite a bit, but am always thinking about how I can change myself, my situation, and my life to make it 'better'. If I'm upset about something, I definitely tend to fixate on it until I can get it worked out. If it's not a problem and more of a passing thought, I can shift easily between that topic and other related ones. Sometimes this even happens when I am solving a problem - something will remind me of another similar problem and I'll try to remember how I dealt with it, which will lead to me going back to that moment, which leads to me thinking about something else, etc. I do space out quite a bit when given the opportunity, often trying to plan how I could present myself better to the world, what my future will look like, how I can better the world/considering grandiose ideas for my future.

Think about a topic or two you're really interested in and like having conversations about. Do you think you would generally have more fun talking about that topic with an enthusiastic, curious listener who asks you lots of great questions, or do you think you would generally have more fun listening to an interesting, entertaining person talk at length about it and answer your questions enthusiastically?

In theory, I'd like to be the speaker, because I always dream about finding someone who will listen to me the way I listen to others. However, I recently have had a lot of great conversations with someone who I believe to be an ENFJ, and I love listening to her, getting her perspective and marveling and how closely it aligns with mine, and then interjecting when I can. I think if I felt comfortable with the enthusiastic listener (e.g. had known them for years), I would be interested in talking about my topic at length.

In the last question, what topic(s) were you think about?

Social justice issues, politics, art/art history, and themes in literature/film.

If someone is doing something that you strongly disagree with, how likely are you to confront them about it? If you do confront them, how do you usually tend to do it? How does your answer change depending on your relationship with the person, and whether their actions directly affect you?

I am very non-confrontational - not necessarily by choice. I get extremely angry and riled up about things, but even if I am infuriated at someone, I will still not bring it up to them. This leaves people extremely confused when I suddenly burst and go off on a total vendetta detailing exactly how they have wronged me and why I am so upset. They feel blindsided because there were no prior indicators that I was angry - in fact, many times, people think I'm on their side... until I'm not.

I confront people only when they back me into a corner or start misconstruing my actions/words. THAT'S my trigger. I'll let you literally back me into a corner and let you be angry at me all you want, but if I think for one moment that you've misunderstood where I'm coming from or are portraying my image negatively to others, I will go off on you. Or if you have 'wronged' someone I care about - you'd better move out of the way.

How interested are you in trying new things - traveling, trying strange and exotic foods, going on roller coasters, jumping out of airplanes, things like that? Regardless of how interested you are, how willing would you be to do those things if someone asked you to? How often do you actually do things like that? Give examples.

I don't enjoy taking physical risks at all. (e.g. making the first move in sexual experiences, jumping into pools, daring physical feats) I love trying new foods and traveling, though - I'm pretty good with new places and people and love to explore and learn about different ways of life and different facets of humanity, so I'm definitely adventurous in that respect. I am a lot more adaptable than I was when I was younger - not sure if this is maturation or circumstance. And no, I wouldn't jump out of a plane, it took me up until my freshman year of college to try a roller coaster.

How would other people describe your demeanor? It may help to ask people you know. How emotional do you seem to people? How rational? Do you tend to be quiet and reserved, or more loud and talkative? Do you seem to choose your words carefully, or talk stream of consciousness, or do you sometimes think so fast you stumble trying to get all the words out? Do you tend to finish your sentences, or skip to the next sentence in the middle of the one you're saying, or skip to new topics entirely? Do you interrupt - if so, when and how often? How do you feel if someone interrupts you? How often do you feel like you have so much energy you can't sit still and need to be up and moving? How hard is it for you to get out of bed in the morning, or get up after relaxing for a long time?

People have described me as very intuitive and insightful, capable of taking lots of data (for example, about a person), and summarizing it into a cohesive whole that makes sense on many levels. I'm emotional with those I know well, which is very few. Others would probably describe me as calm, and a little flatlined. But I can go off on a topic that I am passionate about if you get me going. Things people have said about me:

"Wow, you summed that up so well. Couldn't have said it better."

"I knew she was really angry because she started to raise her voice, and I've never heard her do that."

"I'm waiting for you to say something about it! You always have so many things to say."

"You don't seem very open with people/You're stand-offish."

"You think you're better than everyone else. You think that you're smarter."

"You always know just what to say!"

"You're the only person I would tell this to."

I don't like being interrupted, but I can sometimes interrupt others if something important is happening. I'm more reserved. At first, I carefully plan what I'll say, then I'll think as I go, stopping mid-sentence to consider what I'm saying and plan the next thing. I like to finish what I'm saying. I only have energy to the point where I can't sit still when caffeinated, but I am always jostling my leg or moving my fingers. More of a nervous tic than a compulsion to be moving, though. I find it really hard to get up in the morning... I feel depressed lol.

Are you involved in any creative activities or projects? What are they and why do you like them? What are your goals in these areas? What have you felt most proud of or satisfied with? How likely are you to finish a particular project you start?

I love art but rarely have the time or dedication to get involved. I'm an assistant art teacher, but that's the extent to which I'm involved. I only finish a project if I truly care about it or find it meaningful, I don't feel obligated to finish things just because I started them, unless they are for work or required of me. I am most proud of my photography, I love taking pictures. I worked on a photojournalism project where I documented a dance class - it combined three of my biggest interests: journalism, photography, and the arts/dance. So I loved that.

What are your age, gender, and nationality, if you feel comfortable sharing?
19/F/American

I am SO SORRY that this is so long. I just really love MBTI/enneagram and want to figure out who the hell I am

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A lot of things you wrote here definitely sounds like Fi to me: you are about being honest and authentic, so much so that you can be harshly judgmental (Inferior Te) against those who seem superficial (Dominant Fi) or against those who seem overly emotional and/or incompetent. What you wrote about never forgetting the way others have wronged you sound like a Fi-Si thing; you could care less about every day details, but if something triggers a memory that you feel strongly about-in which you write passionately about wrongdoings or injustice in general-then your Si kind of jumps out for you, if you can understand what I'm trying to say.

I do space out quite a bit when given the opportunity, often trying to plan how I could present myself better to the world, what my future will look like, how I can better the world/considering grandiose ideas for my future.

This is definitely Ne and not Ni, at least, in my opinion.

You're either an INFP or an ISFP, though I definitely think you are the former.

sylviar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
A lot of things you wrote here definitely sounds like Fi to me: you are about being honest and authentic, so much so that you can be harshly judgmental (Inferior Te) against those who seem superficial (Dominant Fi) or against those who seem overly emotional and/or incompetent. What you wrote about never forgetting the way others have wronged you sound like a Fi-Si thing; you could care less about every day details, but if something triggers a memory that you feel strongly about-in which you write passionately about wrongdoings or injustice in general-then your Si kind of jumps out for you, if you can understand what I'm trying to say.

I don't know if I'm about being honest and authentic... I expect that others care about social issues, but I don't expect everyone to be completely up-front and honest all the time. I'm definitely not. I just get annoyed when people are 'superficial' and don't seem to have anything deep that they care about, even if they don't share it with me. Also, memories don't necessarily make me feel emotions, I didn't mean to word it that way if I did. Someone on another forum told me that the self-critical thing and desire to present myself as 'perfect' to the world was totally Ni and not Ne, SO now I'm really confused haha

I also REALLY don't relate to any descriptions of INFPs, or descriptions of their use of the cognitive functions. With INFJ cognitive functions, descriptions, videos, and literature, I feel completely understood and find myself emphatically agreeing with many aspects. No INFP description has ever made me feel like someone finally gets me.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know if I'm about being honest and authentic... I expect that others care about social issues, but I don't expect everyone to be completely up-front and honest all the time. I'm definitely not. I just get annoyed when people are 'superficial' and don't seem to have anything deep that they care about, even if they don't share it with me. Also, memories don't necessarily make me feel emotions, I didn't mean to word it that way if I did. Someone on another forum told me that the self-critical thing and desire to present myself as 'perfect' to the world was totally Ni and not Ne, SO now I'm really confused haha

I also REALLY don't relate to any descriptions of INFPs, or descriptions of their use of the cognitive functions. With INFJ cognitive functions, descriptions, videos, and literature, I feel completely understood and find myself emphatically agreeing with many aspects. No INFP description has ever made me feel like someone finally gets me.

It could just be your enneagram type muddying the waters, then. I know that there are sources out there that said that there are correlations between certain enneagram types and MBTI types, and that INFPs are usually type 4s because of the authenticity/superficial thing. Of course, INFJs can and often are E4 types as well, if you take a gander around the forums here a bit. ;p

There is one fun quiz that I can recommend for you: INFJ or INFP Test
Give it a shot! I think that INFJs and INFPs may look alike, but when you really get down to the details, they are very different, cognitive function wise, and you'd be better off learning about the functions and see which ones speak to you. Reading descriptions on MBTI types can be fun, but they can be stereotypical and not really get to the meat of the issue, you know?

sylviar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
It could just be your enneagram type muddying the waters, then. I know that there are sources out there that said that there are correlations between certain enneagram types and MBTI types, and that INFPs are usually type 4s because of the authenticity/superficial thing. Of course, INFJs can and often are E4 types as well, if you take a gander around the forums here a bit. ;p

There is one fun quiz that I can recommend for you: INFJ or INFP Test
Give it a shot! I think that INFJs and INFPs may look alike, but when you really get down to the details, they are very different, cognitive function wise, and you'd be better off learning about the functions and see which ones speak to you. Reading descriptions on MBTI types can be fun, but they can be stereotypical and not really get to the meat of the issue, you know?

Yeah, I don't think I lean towards my dominant and auxiliary cognitive functions strongly enough for it to be easy to type me, if that makes sense. I relate to parts of Fi and of Fe, and of Ni and Ne. But certain aspects of Fi and Ne descriptions I'm like "no, that doesn't sound like me AT ALL." Whereas I relate strongly with 85% Fe and Ni descriptions.

And I completely agree! All of the INFJ descriptions display the type as these empathetic, psychic creatures and oftentimes don't make sense or contradict themselves.

And I've taken that quiz before! I type as an INFJ every time.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I don't think I lean towards my dominant and auxiliary cognitive functions strongly enough for it to be easy to type me, if that makes sense. I relate to parts of Fi and of Fe, and of Ni and Ne. But certain aspects of Fi and Ne descriptions I'm like "no, that doesn't sound like me AT ALL." Whereas I relate strongly with 85% Fe and Ni descriptions.

And I completely agree! All of the INFJ descriptions display the type as these empathetic, psychic creatures and oftentimes don't make sense or contradict themselves.

And I've taken that quiz before! I type as an INFJ every time.

Some articles that you can look at:
Here Are The Most Common Enneagram Types for INFJ
The INFJ-Enneatype Mix
INFJ 4w3, do you exist? (PersonalityCafe)

I hope this clears some things up with you. Remember that finding your true and final type takes time and research until you feel comfortable with the discovery of which one you truly are. Don't rush it! (;

sylviar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Some articles that you can look at:
Here Are The Most Common Enneagram Types for INFJ
The INFJ-Enneatype Mix
INFJ 4w3, do you exist? (PersonalityCafe)

I hope this clears some things up with you. Remember that finding your true and final type takes time and research until you feel comfortable with the discovery of which one you truly are. Don't rush it! (;

wow! I've seen 2/3 of those before, but not the third one. thank you!! I am definitely starting to feel more comfortable, but researching the cognitive functions has made me second-guess a bit. but the combo of MBTI/enneagram is starting to help my personality make more sense! thank you for your help!

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're INFP from a neutral standpoint. You seem biased towards INFJ internally.

skysickle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
nnn
Since you are having trouble between Judgement and Perception, just read up on those and choose whichever fits you. I am also an INFJ with no psychic powers. I just observe body languages (tone of voice,eye contact,hand gestures). The psychic/empath part that some articles write about INFJ can be really misleading and this cause me to ponder whether is this why people think they are not INFJ making this type the most rare.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
However, there are certain aspects of being an INFJ that I completely don't relate to, and here's where it gets tricky. I do not empathize with people to the point of feeling their emotions - in fact, I am so highly judgmental that as soon as a I get a read on a particular person, which can happen in seconds, I immediately discredit them as a potential partner or friend, and decide to what extent I'm annoyed by them and their personality - I don't take into account why they might be like that or try to understand their perspective until later on, if I get to know them, which usually doesn't happen.

Well, these aspects that are unrelatable to you sound more like an INFP anyway....INFPs tend to be more comfortable with suspending judgment, more inclined to try and grasp different perspectives, etc.
INFPs tend to build impressions over times, and then once they form a feeling about someone, it can be deeply rooted and hard to turn over. IMO, INFJs, like most IxxJs can form quick conclusions based on their internal perceptions (extrapolate a whole from a few indicators...trust their perceptions as realities, not something to be gathered slowly and ordered like an IxxP does), appearing quite firm and "judgmental", and then later reverse them totally when something changes their perception.

So INFPs can be more exploratory and comfortable with non-conclucions because their perception is turned "outward". However, I wouldnt expect most INFJs or INFPs to say this sort of thing, unless they have a misanthropic streak, which is about as likely for either type (and not unlikely :D ).

Personally, I remember strongly disliking people immediately as a very small child, but I now know much of that was a defence of my own vulnerability. I also have a strong sense of what I need/want, as well as feeling limited in my emotional resources, so I may keep people at arm's length who dont exude high potential. While I may not be interested in closeness with most people, I still don't really judge them, as it's more of what I call a "benevolent indifference", and my empathy still can be engaged. I can feel someone's emotion, but I don't necessarily mirror it outwardly (ie cry with them).

IDK if any of that resonates....

However, in a public setting, I will act extremely warm and sociable, always checking in on people and pretending as though I care deeply - when in reality, I could absolutely loathe you and be harshly judging every word you say and every move you make.

Er, seems to show more extroverted judging, perhaps Fe. That preference tends to make people want to meet certain social expectations (for whatever reason) even if it is not how they really feel.
The ego identifies more with the external response/results than the internal experience of feeling. This would be unlikely behavior from INFPs, who have their own, er, negative patterns.

I don't know how it is possibly that my use of both INFJ and INFP dominant functions bisects so perfectly. I'm hoping someone can provide me with some insights - I really enjoy the whole personality type thing, because it really helps me feel understood - but I've been so confused lately!

The function tests are not a good way to determine type.
I reccommend reading Jung and Van Der Hoop's 8 type descriptions to determine your ego type (sometimes referred to as the dominant function, but it is really more about identity than a process you "use"). This should be used in conjunction with MBTI results, profiles and general grasp of what the letters stand for. In other words, dont think about "using" Fi vs Fe, etc, but consider if you identify with an Introverted Feeling type or Introverted Intuitive type.

Be open to other types...sometimes people stuck between two types end up realizing they are neither.

As for the rest of your post....much of it sounds like you could be any NF, perhaps even an NTP or SFP.