• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying to type my 10-year-old

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I know kids can be tricky to type, but I'm curious about my 10 year old. I'm not new to MBTI, but I'm still learning about cognitive functions, so there's a lot I don't fully understand yet. When I type people I still look at I vs. E, N vs. S, and so on. If you have the time to read, I'd be curious about your thoughts.

I vs. E - my son is happily social, but he also loves to spend time alone. His activities of choice are drawing, crafts, video games and reading. (He's obsessed with video games and would play them forever if we let him.) Video games can easily be something social for him, where he can't wait to see a friend to tell them about a new development, or wants to play with friends when they come over. When video games were not an option with a certain friend, after a little while of talking, he pulled out a book to read (alone) and had to be taught that that behavior was rude. He plays happily with his younger brother, but often stops playing in favor of a book. He likes people, but gets a bit nervous about introductions. If someone has a common interest such as video games or Pokemon cards, he's chatting happily within minutes, but if someone's into sports or something else that doesn't really interest my son, he doesn't have much to say to them.

I'm guessing Introvert?

S vs. N - I don't have a whole lot of info here, because I'm still trying to understand this one. He's happy to play sports but only does so at our suggestion. He is an absolute space cadet during soccer, not paying any attention to what's going on or where the ball is. He gets a bit whiny when anything gets too physically demanding, like running laps. He's often lost in his own world of thought and we have to speak to him two or three times before he even hears us. He's not naturally drawn to mechanical things, but he is good at looking at directions and putting things together, such as origami or a shoe rack I bought unassembled. He is an 'ideas' person, always thinking of some new club or group he could form, or business he could start, and making grand plans.

I'm guessing N?

T vs. F - He taught himself to read and has always been really exceptional at retaining information. He would be the type to point out an error on a teacher's part, I think not maliciously but because any error bothers him. Before he's directed to think about it differently, he tends to assume viewpoints that oppose his are stupid. I would guess T so far, but I have also seen him become overwhelmed with emotion, something I'm familiar with as an INFP. If he's really embarrassed or the situation overwhelms him, he's been known to break into tears. (As an INFP, I often feel overwhelmed without knowing why. I'm not sure if he has the words to explain, because in these situations he says he doesn't want to talk about it.) He also has a blatant disregard for rules. He weighs consequences to decide if it's worth having his own way. He attempts to talk me down or reason with me when he's getting punished or when I make a rule he doesn't like. He can be a champion manipulator if allowed. He's also an instigator. Conflict doesn't seem to bother him a lot. He creates conflict on purpose sometimes and gets a twinkle of satisfaction out of making someone else squirm. He hates math, but he's good at it. He loves science. He also enjoys creative writing, if he can dictate and not have to write it out himself.

Guessing T?

P vs. J - Again, I don't have much info here, but the kid is extraordinarily messy and disorganized. His seat in the car can be filled so full of books, toys, and fast food wrappers that he doesn't have room for his legs, and it still doesn't bother him. The sheets could come off his bed and there could be toys and books right next to his head, and he'd sleep with no trouble. His friends keep Pokemon cards in organized binders, while his are usually in piles around the house. Occasionally he'll go on an organizing binge, but he usually doesn't fully finish it. He leaves a trail of messes behind him wherever he goes. He's usually the last one out of the house when we're going somewhere. He does like to make lists for special events, like what we're going to buy for vacation food, etc., but they're usually more artwork than list. He would procrastinate homework forever without being given a deadline.

I'm guessing P.

So right now, I'm leaning toward INTP, but I'm curious if anyone has thoughts.

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
I think your MBTI prediction is accurate for the info you have given. Children at that age may change through time though so don't expect INTP to be forever, it is likely he could become ENTP in his teen years.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
He scores ENP on that one.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENxP, I'm leaning towards ENTP.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I would guess Ti-dom but, as you said, kids can be difficult to type. I suspect my 12 year old is an ESTJ but I will see what the teen years bring in terms of cognitive development.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You laid it out yourself, and I agree with INTP. Sounds a lot like me as a kid, and I was reportedly quite social and happy to explore with many others back then. (Less so now because I understand that it drains me to meet and have to try to figure out people, and through experience learn that many people are difficult/not worthwhile and I am better off working on my interests alone than being around others) As far as I have noticed, Ti-doms are usually quite outgoing and children because they want to understand how things work, whereas Fi doms may be more likely stereotypically "introverted" because they consciously are thinking about feelings and the perceptions of others, making them hesitant to interaction for different reasons. Both, however, usually seem to be and feel out of place with others outside close friends and family, and will probably be ridiculed (or revered, for similar reasons) at school, because they're seen as "different."
For those saying ENP, I'm sure than he would be a lot more attentive to external happenings in your soccer example, and I'm quite confident that only IN types would really be that likely to be completely detached from the moment (low Se). There seems also an obvious preference for things and particular activities over people, and people are more important in relation to such things. As I am, I care to be aroud people (other than those very close to me) if they will contribute to my understanding or futher development in a field I'm interested in. If we can talk about it in depth, or work together, etc. His videogames and Pokemon are good examples, and I suggest trying to encourage it actually. If this is indeed his type, growing up it will be very important for him to be able to look at things in terms of logical systems. Not being able to often persue activities that can be seen through such systems would be a deviation from his natural mindset and could be stunting to growth or depressive.
It's actually a great explanation for why I, for example, get so immersed in just one game - or system, if you will. As he gets older encourage his moving toward more advanced systems so that he can expand his interests and knowledge. If he can learn the ins and outs of one game to the point where he can do practically anything within the system, that will be most satisfying to his Ti-Ne. Be wary though that there is definitely possibility for obessession, with Ti, and this you've seem to have noticed. At the same time, I recommend encouraging it and only moderating it when it becomes unhealthy, because for the most part he needs that time to think and analyze by himself. Any Ti-employing activity, you can think of as practice, or better yet, a long-term investment, as I still do. Just as with INFPs that I know, INTPs also go through lifetime exploration and development of the self. If I can try to explain my thoughts on this - a majority of types are interested in making impact upon the world, but INP types seem to be one of the few (probably mainly IP types) which view their experiences and observations of the external world as an extension to their inner databases, as though the inner self developing is all that truly matters. It's as though the primary thing that matters is the storehouse and their understanding of things, not so much what they really are but in the case of Ji-Ne, what they could be or what they may represent. Ne likes to cherrypick their favorite impressions of things, and ideals, motivations over a lifetime. This leaves them very seemingly unique and as though they live in their own world.

Anyway, I was raised by what I believe to be both IFP parents, and they have been very supportive and loving my whole life. Do be aware that there is room for conflict between the priorities of Fi and Ti. Sometimes you may want him to be around others more and he may see that as a deficit to the thing he is doing. In this case, I recommend encouraging and not doing any sort of pushing, because chances are he will know what's best for himself when it comes to Ti-related works. When it comes to others, it's best to try to put him in atmoshperes which will develop his understanding of his Ti-interests via social groups, leaving him with a positive impression of people and communities. So for example, let's say at age 15 he's interested in X game - try suggesting going to a nearby tournament, and simply let him understand what goes on there, interact with some people who may show him more about the gamr that he can delve into. Another great way to get an INP involved (I'm sure you probably already know these things since you're INFP, but I'm reiterating) is to turn social gatherings into something playful and with a goal of sorts. I guess something my (what I believe is INFP) dad doesn't share is the competitive aspect where if we were to play Monopoly, he has no intent to win but moreso to help those who are losing. Nonetheless, games of this sort bring together more introverted types and typically interest everyone, and I have seen many instances where friends felt more comfortable being themselves as a result. Basically, enjoy activities together - but I'm sure you didn't need to be told that.

Sorry for the ramblings, please let me know if there's anything I can contribute.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thanks so much for such an informative post. I'm going to read it a few times and take away whatever I can as a parent.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I went back an did the same child test with my son (I did it for him the first time) and he got ITP. I've looked at the two descriptions and can't seem to decide which fits him best, as they both have lots of things that apply and don't apply. So for now I think he is either ENTP or INTP, but it's not apparent which, yet.

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
He's still young, so it might be a challenge to see his type yet.

Having said this, here we go:

He is an absolute space cadet during soccer, not paying any attention to what's going on or where the ball is. He gets a bit whiny when anything gets too physically demanding, like running laps. He's often lost in his own world of thought and we have to speak to him two or three times before he even hears us.

Definitely an iNtuitive type, and possibly an Ni or Ne Dom.

He is an 'ideas' person, always thinking of some new club or group he could form, or business he could start, and making grand plans.

iNtuitives are pretty much ideas people (not that Sensors can't have ideas, but Sensing Dominants especially tend to value facts more than ideas) but what you're describing here might indicate a combination of Ni and Te or Fe.

He taught himself to read and has always been really exceptional at retaining information.

In my understanding, this has more to do with Sensation and iNtuition than with Feeling and Thinking, as the former 2 have to do with how information is taken in, and the latter 2 with how it is evaluated.

I'll just ask some questions, but aware of the fact that he needs to grow into his type:

1) Does he tend to talk about one thing for a long time? Or, does he tend to jump around from topic to topic?

2) Does he seem to use logic more for slow analysis, or for rapid problem-solving?

3) Do you think he has leadership qualities? Why or why not?

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thanks, Purple INFJ, for your thoughts.

To answer your questions:

1. He does tend to talk about one thing for a long time. He gets really fixated on certain subjects and ideas, and talks about them for long periods of time, and over and over for days and weeks.

2. I have no idea about this one.

3. I think sometimes he can rally his friends to get behind an idea and work with him on it, but overall, he seems to be self-absorbed and set in his ways, and doesn't really notice or pay a lot of attention to other people's feelings, so he kind of is a steamroller of a leader if/when he does lead. I'm not sure if that's the type of answer you're looking for. He can delegate responsibilities, but his bottom line seems to always be how everyone's talents and resources can best benefit him. :) Hopefully he'll mature a little bit in that area.

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
He does tend to talk about one thing for a long time. He gets really fixated on certain subjects and ideas, and talks about them for long periods of time, and over and over for days and weeks.

Ni.

I think sometimes he can rally his friends to get behind an idea and work with him on it, but overall, he seems to be self-absorbed and set in his ways, and doesn't really notice or pay a lot of attention to other people's feelings, so he kind of is a steamroller of a leader if/when he does lead. I'm not sure if that's the type of answer you're looking for. He can delegate responsibilities, but his bottom line seems to always be how everyone's talents and resources can best benefit him. Hopefully he'll mature a little bit in that area.

Seems like he's an NTJ. I think it might be early to tell if he's INTJ or ENTJ, but what you describe in your 3rd answer seems to indicate an ENTJ. I guess his Se is still underdeveloped, which I believe is normal for an ENTJ his age.

Btw, my 2nd question was to attempt to.determine if he used more Te or Ti. My understanding of Te is that it tends to be quicker than Ti. It's also (Te) more inclined at getting things done, Ti is more of a pondering function.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would be really surprised if he was a J, just because he tends to leave everything till the last possible moment and he's so disorganized. Maybe it's just too early to tell.

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would be really surprised if he was a J, just because he tends to leave everything till the last possible moment and he's so disorganized. Maybe it's just too early to tell.

I'm an INFJ and I've suffered from procrastination and disorganization for years, so don't buy that nonsense that all Js are organized and don't procrastinate, this is false.

What you need to look at is what his functional preferences are. Yes, they take time to develop, so right now you can only get a hint of what he could be like later in life.

His singular focus shows clear Ni to me, and if he tends to be a pushy boss, hurrying others to get things done, I think that may be a sign of Te.

NTJs have Ni (Introverted iNtuition) and Te (Extroverted Thinking) as their highest functional preferences. Yes, he needs time to develop, but I think he's an NTJ.

As he grows, it'll prob be easier to see which is weaker out of his Fi and his Se.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ok I'll definitely read more about Ni and Te. As I mentioned, I'm still learning about cognitive functions and there's a lot to learn. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like my ENxP son. Mine also taught himself to read and obsesses over video games. Right now it's Minecraft and he spends his time perfecting his strategy and building some amazing shit. He's 7.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kids are sensitive and stubborn, just as they're blunt and curious. Most likely his Fi/Ti hasn't fully developed yet. I'd definitely say INxP though.