User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I know. I should have clarified. She's just like me in this aspect. Both of us are 'quiet observers' when we go out. Sits on the sidelines of the action without participating much - except with close friends. And unless she's with outgoing people (like 2/3 husbands) barely interacts with others at all. Seems drained by a lot of interaction, and never initiates conversations in groups. Isn't into any kind of group sport, social clubs, etc.
    There are two different definitions about E and I. Keirsey thinks Introverts are people who get drained by too much social contact, whereas Jung sees Introverts as those who are mostly concerned with the subject and Extraverts as those who are mostly concerned with the object. From your description your mother seemed to be very concerned with the outer world (can´t be alone, hosting family parties, likes to go to pubs), but I didn`t see anything which points towards preferrence of her inner world. Furthermore, dominant Si strives to preserve things and tends to be very responsible. Your mother doesn´t seem to be. ISJs are also good providers.

Another huge thing she is critical about is physical appearances and other shallow crap.
    She´s concerned with the sensory world, but not in a preserving way, it seems more like she´s flowing with it. Her critic seems to be about what´s in vogue and stylish.
    Going with Jung´s definition I think ESFP is very likely.

Thanks everyone - I've got to mull this over.

There are two different definitions about E and I. Keirsey thinks Introverts are people who get drained by too much social contact, whereas Jung sees Introverts as those who are mostly concerned with the subject and Extraverts as those who are mostly concerned with the object
    My info must be based on Keirsey. I've never heard of the latter description of E versus I.

I'm also going to look at the Interaction styles and Temperaments - forgot to do that.

Sorry about resurecting such an old thread, but I was thinking about my mother again and still wondering about her type. After rereading this thread, I'm fairly sure that she's ESFP - but a very reserved one. I also think she's using (attempting to!) use her Ni function quite a bit because she has these 'feelings' about the future and claims tha she's somewhat psychic. Or perhaps it's just the Fi 'gut feelings' ?

I believe that she spent many years 'unhealthy' and mildly depressed which was probably why she was distant and not emotionally there for us while we were kids. She spent most of her free time sitting on her bed, often in PJs. But since her late 40s she's gotten quite a spark under her butt and is making up for lost time, I think.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

if you have to think about it this much, then you're never going to type anyone correctly at all. If you're doing it right, her type will land in your lap when you're not focusing on it too much. But don't feel bad; you're not the only one that incorrectly tries to type by hyper-reflection over personalized "facts" about the person.

I'm sure you are right but I really haven't been thinking about it for over a year - I just revisited it. I don't have much of a problem typing people who are not very close to me - co-workers, neighbors, and so forth. I have a difficult time with close family and myself. It's also made more difficult by the fact that I only see my family once or twice per year for about 20 years so I mostly go by what they TELL me and what I remember as a child.

Hyperreflecting on facts? I don't think so at this point. I ordered a bunch of materials from Linda Berens which I believe has given me a deeper understanding of MBTI but of course there is more to sort through! For example, do the cognitive processes line up, the Interaction Style, The Directing vs Informing, Responding versus Initiating, The Core Beliefs of each type, and of course The Temperament. I'm probably over thinking at this point - but I'm enjoying the process.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

1. ISTJ
    2. ISTP

Just generally pulled from a couple bits of info.
    1. ISXJ is a given, she's clearly Si dominant, and enneagram 6 (which can also appear NFP like). All of her F like behavior appears to result of the enneagram.

2. Correction of grammar is like super Ti (which can appear Judging), plus, the reason for not believing in god appears to be rather Ti. Her attention to detail would be Se.
    5 3 9