User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Introverted ENTP?

I know, it's called Extraversion for something but... today I was searching through the types for seeing which would fit better some characters, and giving a deep look into the ENTP... I think it describes me very well. I sometimes think I'm more of an Ne user than a Ti (despite I score very high on both), and I really really dislike doing things just 'because I should'. I also love arguing and 'playing' with other people's mind's (there's nothing funnier for me than when I tease my ISTP friend), but only when I feel just like that.
    I'm also like a INTP, geekly and stand-aloneish, and like to analyze things.

I wouldn't worry too much, but I'm sure that part of my Introversion comes from social anxiety. Maybe it's just a psicological issue that inhibits my Extroversion? I do admit that sometimes I like being the center of attention, but also like to watch things from an outer perspective.
    Also, I noticed that I try to overcome that 'social anxiety' by acting like a fearless Extrovert. If they know about MBTI in my school, they would type me as an ENTJ, for sure. I try to cover my fear of rejection on being like a nazi (the kind of girl who yells 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING, FUCKTARD?!' when someones try to tease me), but also have 'charmed' other people by my quick wit and that I'm not scared of anyone (in theory). Even, someone told me that I 'was cool because I always say what I think about other people'.

Could I be an E, after all? I don't know... I always feel insecure about other people. Even right now I feel afraid that I'll look like an idiot by posting this and probably I'll regret this... but I'm curious.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Extraversion-Introversion have nothing to do with shyness. the type concept is where you get your energy. From people and activities (E) or from solitude and reflection (I).

So, you can be a shy Extravert who hangs with just a few friends but still hates to be alone. Or, you can always be doing things--tinkering, cleaning, biking, etc. rather than sitting still for stuff. AND you can be a social Introvert who loves people but can only handle so many for so long before being totally drained.

One tie-breakerL: how long could you go on silent retreat? Many I's could spend days at a secluded cabin, and go back again and again. Many E's would love a few hours or even a day and would then be ready for action again.

I for example prefer Introversion but love talking to people in elevators just to see their reactions...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Introverted ENTPs are totally possible (as long as you're not using the same definition of introverted that MBTI uses). My brother is one, for example.

The E in ENTP just means you are an Ne dom. Ne doesn't necessarily have to focus on people.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Introverted ENTPs are totally possible (as long as you're not using the same definition of introverted that MBTI uses). My brother is one, for example.

The E in ENTP just means you are an Ne dom. Ne doesn't necessarily have to focus on people.
    you reckon? isn't it a bit odd to say that he's an Entp while being introverted? isn't that by definition contradicting? i could see him being an ENTP with a strong I side (say 60:40 split), but introverted altogether?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

There are different kinds of Extroverts, and the ENTP is probably the most reserved of all on average. I could say more, but I refuse.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching
    So, you can be a shy Extravert who hangs with just a few friends but still hates to be alone. Or, you can always be doing things--tinkering, cleaning, biking, etc. rather than sitting still for stuff. AND you can be a social Introvert who loves people but can only handle so many for so long before being totally drained.

One tie-breakerL: how long could you go on silent retreat? Many I's could spend days at a secluded cabin, and go back again and again. Many E's would love a few hours or even a day and would then be ready for action again.
    I like social interaction, and I have two or three friends which I always talk in MSN, and can last hours and hours with some short breaks, and if I let some days pass without talking to them I miss them. But IRL I can only stand about five hours before needing doing things alone.
    I'm not sure what would that mean.

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance

I see. I scored highter Ti than Ne in the test, but actually I think I use more my Ne, with the Ti axis. The problem is that my tertiary is for sure Si, since my Fe is nothing more than my Ne.

Thanks for the answers, I'm still unsure so I'll think about all this and try to observe how I behave about this.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

with mbti, there isn't too big of a distinction (except in extreme cases) between I and E. For example, if I read the INFP profile, there is a whole lot that applies to me. This may be true because of the fact that I have the same funtions of an INFP but a different orientation. Ex. ENFP (Ne, Fi, Te, Si) INFP (Fi, Ne, Si, Te). So really unless your an extreme of one or the other, you will find that both the INTP and the ENTP profile might fit you quite nicely. This is why a lot of times ill use the syntax XNTP or XNFP.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    you reckon? isn't it a bit odd to say that he's an Entp while being introverted? isn't that by definition contradicting? i could see him being an ENTP with a strong I side (say 60:40 split), but introverted altogether?
    That's why I said you have to use different definitions. You can have an ENTP that fits the dictionary definition of introvert.

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    I see. I scored highter Ti than Ne in the test, but actually I think I use more my Ne, with the Ti axis. The problem is that my tertiary is for sure Si, since my Fe is nothing more than my Ne.
    Yeah. Don't put too much weights in the tests. If you think you're an Ne dominant, you probably are.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    I know, it's called Extraversion for something but... today I was searching through the types for seeing which would fit better some characters, and giving a deep look into the ENTP... I think it describes me very well. I sometimes think I'm more of an Ne user than a Ti (despite I score very high on both), and I really really dislike doing things just 'because I should'. I also love arguing and 'playing' with other people's mind's (there's nothing funnier for me than when I tease my ISTP friend), but only when I feel just like that.
    I'm also like a INTP, geekly and stand-aloneish, and like to analyze things.

I wouldn't worry too much, but I'm sure that part of my Introversion comes from social anxiety. Maybe it's just a psicological issue that inhibits my Extroversion? I do admit that sometimes I like being the center of attention, but also like to watch things from an outer perspective.
    Also, I noticed that I try to overcome that 'social anxiety' by acting like a fearless Extrovert. If they know about MBTI in my school, they would type me as an ENTJ, for sure. I try to cover my fear of rejection on being like a nazi (the kind of girl who yells 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING, FUCKTARD?!' when someones try to tease me), but also have 'charmed' other people by my quick wit and that I'm not scared of anyone (in theory). Even, someone told me that I 'was cool because I always say what I think about other people'.

Could I be an E, after all? I don't know... I always feel insecure about other people. Even right now I feel afraid that I'll look like an idiot by posting this and probably I'll regret this... but I'm curious.
    Sonfabitch, this is totally me. Except instead of an fearless extrovert I've usually tended to just go with quiet introvert (workplace esp.)... I learned after a while it was just easier to keep my mouth shut.

Thanks for starting this thread, Kora.
    Last edited by 563 740; 09-13-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: That's it, I'm officially changing my type now
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!

MBTI
    ENTP

Read around my back issues heh, you'll see I've had much the same story. I've overcome the social anxiety now and am more easily recognizable as a true extravert, but even just 5 years ago you wouldn't have imagined I was the same person. And yeah, it was mainly social anxiety. I preferred being away from people only BECAUSE I had no social skills, so things went wrong. It wasn't because solitude genuinely recharged and energized me like it does for an introvert.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen