• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thinker or Feeler?

Royal Xavier

MBTI Type
INXP
Every test that I take says that I'm an INTP...but I'm not so sure lately. Though I have some thinker qualities, I think I might actually be closer to INFP.

On the T side:
-I like computers...I'm not a techie, but I have adequate technological skills and can spend lots of time playing with gadgets and stuff like that.
-I like games, especially strategic ones, and I can be competitive sometimes.
-I'm not very comfortable talking about emotions.
-I analyze things habitually(though I haven't always been this way).
-I do fairly well in school, making mostly As and a few Bs, and I'm interested in English grammar.
-I sometimes make charts just for fun.

On the F side:
-I don't tend to criticize people, besides sometimes poking fun at them in a harmless way.
-I keep a journal, though I don't pour my emotions into them like some people may do.
-I'm usually good at sensing what people are thinking/feeling, especially in a quiet atmosphere.
-My mood often depends on the way others are feeling or acting; I often act the opposite of what others are acting just to even things out(for instance, happy when others are sad, negative when others are positive, bored when others are excited, etc.)
-I don't like to be criticized, especially by people I respect. To some extent, I care what others think of me.
-I tend to take lots of personality tests(like the MBTI) and am interested in finding out who I am.
-I'm easily inspired, especially by good music and some other forms of entertainment.
-I'm generally pretty appreciative, though I don't always express this.

Though I'm able to see how I'm a thinker and how I'm a feeler, I have trouble making sense of it and deciding which traits play a bigger role in determining my type...any thoughts?

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
you are just getting older :)

I experience the same (with different symptoms, but still...)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you're thinking too much about it. Much of what you describe can describe a T or F. It can also fit with IxxP style behavior.

As far as conflict:
- F's often avoid conflict because they hate going there (unless they feel passionate about the cause/person -- whereupon they often still hate it but can't help themselves).
- T's sometimes avoid conflict because they hate the uncontrollable display of emotion in others, that they don't know what to do with... it seems irrational to them and leaves them feeling vulnerable/unsure.

Likewise, F's often push for harmony; but T's sometimes push for harmony too, just to avoid having people encroach on their autonomy.

Royal Xavier

MBTI Type
INXP
you are just getting older :)

I think I acted more like a feeler when I was little kid...I think I'm a little more analytical and realistic than I used to be. My thinking traits started to become more visible when I was 12 or so.

- F's often avoid conflict because they hate going there (unless they feel passionate about the cause/person -- whereupon they often still hate it but can't help themselves).
- T's sometimes avoid conflict because they hate the uncontrollable display of emotion in others, that they don't know what to do with... it seems irrational to them and leaves them feeling vulnerable/unsure.

This is interesting, because I often avoid conflict for both of those reasons. I guess you could say that I avoid conflict in general, really...most of the conflicts I have are in my mind, when I'm trying to understand something. How much logic or emotion I use depends on the situation.
Good comment :)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
On the F side:
-I don't tend to criticize people, besides sometimes poking fun at them in a harmless way.
-I keep a journal, though I don't pour my emotions into them like some people may do.
-I'm usually good at sensing what people are thinking/feeling, especially in a quiet atmosphere.
-My mood often depends on the way others are feeling or acting; I often act the opposite of what others are acting just to even things out(for instance, happy when others are sad, negative when others are positive, bored when others are excited, etc.)
-I don't like to be criticized, especially by people I respect. To some extent, I care what others think of me.
-I tend to take lots of personality tests(like the MBTI) and am interested in finding out who I am.
-I'm easily inspired, especially by good music and some other forms of entertainment.

I don't even get why the bolded parts are F-qualities. T, to me, doesn't mean you're impervious to inspiration or emotions (or that you're an asshole), it just means you have a strong preference for logical fluidity and are more willing to sacrifice people's comfort for an elegant solution to a problem (or for truth).

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i work for the computer science corporation and im an F. im also an avid gamer

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Every test that I take says that I'm an INTP...but I'm not so sure lately. Though I have some thinker qualities, I think I might actually be closer to INFP.

On the T side:
-I like computers...I'm not a techie, but I have adequate technological skills and can spend lots of time playing with gadgets and stuff like that.
-I like games, especially strategic ones, and I can be competitive sometimes.
-I'm not very comfortable talking about emotions.
-I analyze things habitually(though I haven't always been this way).
-I do fairly well in school, making mostly As and a few Bs, and I'm interested in English grammar.
-I sometimes make charts just for fun.

On the F side:

Though I'm able to see how I'm a thinker and how I'm a feeler, I have trouble making sense of it and deciding which traits play a bigger role in determining my type...any thoughts?

Since this is quite big problem for you, you are probaby T.

T

ThatGirl

I tend to run head on into conflict for the sake of figuring it out and getting past. I won't ignore it if its in the room because it is a distraction. I don't have patience for unecessary conflict and will discard people or situations where it is present that is by choice. I don't critisize anything that someone is not capable of fixing ex physical features etc but will bluntly point out a flaw that is affecting someone who is complaining about it but ignoring the fact. Other than that I actually find put down humor discusting but truthfull ironic humor hillarious. The double meaning. I don't like to write or when people express feeling but can apreciate the feeling contribution if taken as a sub factor in a situation and presented as a fact or piece of it. So I will sometime express feeling in what I believe is an objective manner but to those listening is very personal.I don't like when people talk about feelings that are irrelivant.

There's a comparrison for you

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'd say the fact that you took the time to put the facts together in such a logical format to try to "figure it out" is more indicative of your type than what you actually included.

Also, I have rarely come across an F that doesn't know it.

Royal Xavier

MBTI Type
INXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Xavier View Post
On the F side:
I don't even get why the bolded parts are F-qualities. T, to me, doesn't mean you're impervious to inspiration or emotions (or that you're an asshole), it just means you have a strong preference for logical fluidity and are more willing to sacrifice people's comfort for an elegant solution to a problem (or for truth).

I know feelers aren't necessarily always more emotional than thinkers, I guess it's just that they usually happen to be...and I guess you're right about inspiration, though sometimes when I'm inspired I'm less detached than the average thinker would probably be(if that makes any sense).

i work for the computer science corporation and im an F. im also an avid gamer

I know of an INFP who owns an MMORPG and likes computers...so yeah, I guess an interest in technology isn't always a sure sign that you're a thinker.

I tend to run head on into conflict for the sake of figuring it out and getting past. I won't ignore it if its in the room because it is a distraction. I don't have patience for unecessary conflict and will discard people or situations where it is present that is by choice. I don't critisize anything that someone is not capable of fixing ex physical features etc but will bluntly point out a flaw that is affecting someone who is complaining about it but ignoring the fact. Other than that I actually find put down humor discusting but truthfull ironic humor hillarious. The double meaning. I don't like to write or when people express feeling but can apreciate the feeling contribution if taken as a sub factor in a situation and presented as a fact or piece of it. So I will sometime express feeling in what I believe is an objective manner but to those listening is very personal.I don't like when people talk about feelings that are irrelivant.

There's a comparrison for you

So you use thinking to get out of conflict rather than to plunge into it...I've done that before...I guess there's a difference between trying to resolve a conflict and just "getting involved" with it. I've seen my fair share of pointless arguments lol.

Since this is quite big problem for you, you are probaby T.

I'd say the fact that you took the time to put the facts together in such a logical format to try to "figure it out" is more indicative of your type than what you actually included.

Also, I have rarely come across an F that doesn't know it.

Both interesting comments...I hadn't thought of it like that before :)