• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I want no bias here...

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmm. Maybe I didn't state that clearly. I don't think TJ's make goals for security sake. The reaching of the goal is why they make it. But I do see the act of setting them gives them a sense of sureness. Hope I cleared that up?

Well, you could be an extrovert. I don't know. You speak of having vision and youu seem to be a little of everything. I think intj and infj are good places to start.

Yes I have that sureness a lot, it's natural to me. I do not connect it with wanting security though, it's absolutely not about that. Maybe you as a TP assume it's out of a desire of security. It's not. At least not in my case.

The vision thing, I only developed it a little at age 20ish, so I don't think I'm Ni-dom. I'm also definitely not inferior Se, it's not weak like that lol.

OK, can you please say more on the TP's getting single-minded when getting hit in the emotional core thing?

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
yeah, I get bored sometimes before I even reach the goal. I have barely passed any of my video games as an adult. I play and get bored near the end and move on. I never really even had the goal to finish it. I just play for fun and learn. Then I piss people off because I get really good and I don't really care. Its like I had every spot on wii sports and I still hold the top spot after years. My nephew called me in and was like "i am gonna knock you outta the top spot and destroy your score" I responded with....ok...I really don't care, I was trying to get perfect and I got damn close and moved on. Sometimes I just say screw it come back later and try again until I get bored.

Interesting. Well, ok, I'm not at all like that. I do finish things. I do get real good too but I want to get to the end state that I had in mind and I do! With your nephew, I would have instantly got competitive. :p

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
[MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION]

One more note. I don't think I'm "a little of everything". I'm rather clear on my T preference, for example.

Thanks for trying to help so much btw! To [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] too, of course

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

One more note. I don't think I'm "a little of everything". I'm rather clear on my T preference, for example.

Thanks for trying to help so much btw! To [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] too, of course

Ok. Cool. I didn't realize you had a defined T. Must have missed that. Everything else is unknown tho?

Not sure how much more I can describe about TP's getting single-minded when hit in an emotional core. Sometimes it puts a fire
under them that strengthens a resolve toward a goal. Or maybe a decision.

Maybe their introverted judging is expressed in a definitive way with an inferior Fe.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I would say you are TJ with a very high Ti aspect. Usually TJs who have their emotions in check have a much stronger Ti side. Without emotions in check, well, they are all bitchy with buttons everywhere and one big ball of emotions that get projected on everyone else. Possibly introverted perception with Ti as a close second in use.

NP, honestly, you are who you make yourself to be. Take your strengths and allow them to raise you up so when you work on your weaknesses you don't knocked back down to nothing.

Why do you care so much what type you are?

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Ok. Cool. I didn't realize you had a defined T. Must have missed that. Everything else is unknown tho?

Actually pretty sure on S too unless I'm really deluded or something, heh. I did develop some N stuff at age 20ish though.

And, it would be cool if I was an E but I'm just not.

So it's really this J/P thing that's confusing.

Here's a short test on it:

Judging Characteristics

Plan many of the details in advance before moving into action.
Focus on task-related action; complete meaningful segments before moving on.
Work best and avoid stress when able to keep ahead of deadlines.
Naturally use targets, dates and standard routines to manage life.

Perceiving Characteristics

Comfortable moving into action without a plan; plan on-the-go.
Like to multitask, have variety, mix work and play.
Naturally tolerant of time pressure; work best close to the deadlines.
Instinctively avoid commitments which interfere with flexibility, freedom and variety

I bolded the ones I relate to. I never plan too many details before taking action, I just have a rough outline of the main logical points and the rest of the details become clear on the move or while doing a task - unless I must know all the requirements before I start certain tasks. I am ok with working close to a deadline, I don't mind the upped intensity. Though long term it can be a bit of a burn out if I always do very large amounts of work last minute. I'm also comfortable with starting well in time and do a bit of the job regularly everyday, I do this when it's a very big job that can't be completed in one day. OK so those were the P>J parts. However, I don't mix stuff, I definitely do not multitask much, for example and I'm ok with targets/goals, dates and routines and commitments. And that's the J>P part. :Shrug

Not sure how much more I can describe about TP's getting single-minded when hit in an emotional core. Sometimes it puts a fire under them that strengthens a resolve toward a goal. Or maybe a decision.

Maybe their introverted judging is expressed in a definitive way with an inferior Fe.

Do you have a concrete example you observed about this?

I did wonder before if the Fe being the Je function is what makes me more J at times. But I don't always directly need Fe for this :shrug

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Not sure how much more I can describe about TP's getting single-minded when hit in an emotional core. Sometimes it puts a fire
under them that strengthens a resolve toward a goal. Or maybe a decision.

yeah, don't pull my emotions out. it can be scary, we are talking 100MPH in traffic weaving in and out, taking shoulder, grass, etc. my single mind, to get the hell out of my head. My emotions are pretty much stuck due to my head. fear is gone, care is gone, every other emotion is gone. This is when I get in the grip of my emotions and I just want out. My ex pushed me here every once in awhile...well...to often in my opinion. I don't have a death wish so I will stay within my comfort zone death wise, except as I go more and more I get better and better and my comfort gets higher and higher. Kinda like someone over dosing, except physically...it would be DAMN THAT WAS AWESOME...but he is dead now

It has a flip side to, it may cause me to fall in love uncontrollably...gasp....lol...this grip I enjoy and don't really want out of.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I would say you are TJ with a very high Ti aspect. Usually TJs who have their emotions in check have a much stronger Ti side. Without emotions in check, well, they are all bitchy with buttons everywhere and one big ball of emotions that get projected on everyone else. Possibly introverted perception with Ti as a close second in use.

NP, honestly, you are who you make yourself to be. Take your strengths and allow them to raise you up so when you work on your weaknesses you don't knocked back down to nothing.

Why do you care so much what type you are?

TJ with high Ti aspect? That sounds reasonable. That is, ISTP with a J side? Oh wait you mean Pi+Ti actually? So Pi is what is J to you then?

I don't have all my emotions in check, lol, no. Some yes some nope. I don't project them though or I didn't notice.

Why I care, why not.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually pretty sure on S too unless I'm really deluded or something, heh. I did develop some N stuff at age 20ish though.

And, it would be cool if I was an E but I'm just not.

So it's really this J/P thing that's confusing.

Here's a short test on it:

Judging Characteristics

Plan many of the details in advance before moving into action.
Focus on task-related action; complete meaningful segments before moving on.
Work best and avoid stress when able to keep ahead of deadlines.
Naturally use targets, dates and standard routines to manage life.

Perceiving Characteristics

Comfortable moving into action without a plan; plan on-the-go.
Like to multitask, have variety, mix work and play.
Naturally tolerant of time pressure; work best close to the deadlines.
Instinctively avoid commitments which interfere with flexibility, freedom and variety

I bolded the ones I relate to. I never plan too many details before taking action, I just have a rough outline of the main logical points and the rest of the details become clear on the move or while doing a task - unless I must know all the requirements before I start certain tasks. I am ok with working close to a deadline, I don't mind the upped intensity. Though long term it can be a bit of a burn out if I always do very large amounts of work last minute. I'm also comfortable with starting well in time and do a bit of the job regularly everyday, I do this when it's a very big job that can't be completed in one day. OK so those were the P>J parts. However, I don't mix stuff, I definitely do not multitask much, for example and I'm ok with dates and routines and commitments. And that's the J>P part. :Shrug

Do you have a concrete example you observed about this?

I did wonder before if the Fe being the Je function is what makes me more J at times. But I don't always directly need Fe for this :shrug

Probably ISTJ with a fairly middle of the road J/P split. put ISTx or IST(J/P)

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Probably ISTJ with a fairly middle of the road J/P split. put ISTx or IST(J/P)

So you think Si+Ti? How about, Ti+Si+Se, lol. I do have a P side that does seem to come from Se.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
yeah, don't pull my emotions out. it can be scary, we are talking 100MPH in traffic weaving in and out, taking shoulder, grass, etc. my single mind, to get the hell out of my head. My emotions are pretty much stuck due to my head. fear is gone, care is gone, every other emotion is gone. This is when I get in the grip of my emotions and I just want out. My ex pushed me here every once in awhile...well...to often in my opinion. I don't have a death wish so I will stay within my comfort zone death wise, except as I go more and more I get better and better and my comfort gets higher and higher. Kinda like someone over dosing, except physically...it would be DAMN THAT WAS AWESOME...but he is dead now

It has a flip side to, it may cause me to fall in love uncontrollably...gasp....lol...this grip I enjoy and don't really want out of.

Trying to follow this - are you saying your experience is that if you get outside your comfort zone enough you get better with the emotions being pulled out? If I completely misinterpreted then can you better structure your sentences as I find it hard to follow.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you think Si+Ti? How about, Ti+Si+Se, lol. I do have a P side that does seem to come from Se.

I would still put your dom as what leads you which seems like introverted perception followed by Ti even if going by time under tension puts Ti in the lead. or as a 4 letter dichotomy stick with ISTx. if someone cares to ask you can just explain that your really middle of the road. Its your call though what you decide.They all have merit. Its just a preference of whats more important...dom or time under tension. time under tension if you don't control life can and will change since its not your dom. Change it when time under tension changes if you choose Ti+Si+Se. A lot of ISTJs I know have a very high Se, as time goes on it is known to dwindle down lower....time under tension...and a more mature and stable Fi will rear its head.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. So ISTJ or ISTP. That is easier to distinguish!

My mother is an ISTJ (e1) So was an ex (3 years together). ISTJ's are lead sensors, so they often have really good ability with hands-on things, sports, etc.

Their stereotypes/profiles are some of the saddest, IMO. I met my ex because at a birthday party for a mutual friend he, not knowing me, approached and placed icing on my cheek and then licked it off. :shock: Just saying.

Not boring. Any reason why you haven't entertained ISTJ?

Si and Ti are easy to figure. Have you looked into these functions? This would help with your J/P dilemma

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Trying to follow this - are you saying your experience is that if you get outside your comfort zone enough you get better with the emotions being pulled out? If I completely misinterpreted then can you better structure your sentences as I find it hard to follow.

comfort zone as in control of car. as I push the car harder and I get better my comfort zone in that car goes up and I push harder. I do that normally, but its a greatly accelerated rate when emotions kick in as I have a goal...to get out of my head. I am trying different things recently to avoid this and change, in the process of not doing this my emotions come out more and stronger.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

My mother is an ISTJ (e1) So was an ex (3 years together). ISTJ's are lead sensors, so they often have really good ability with hands-on things, sports, etc.

Their stereotypes/profiles are some of the saddest, IMO. I met my ex because at a birthday party for a mutual friend he, not knowing me, approached and placed icing on my cheek and then licked it off. :shock: Just saying.

Si and Ti are easy to figure. Have you looked into these functions? This would help with your J/P dilemma

Yeah, I don't like ISTJ descriptions and I don't like some ISTP ones either. I think the ISTP ones make us bigger and more badass then we really are. And I think that ISTJ ones make them more boring then they really are. Its the whole...dom Ti means the person is this way with other people...no it means they are this way with themselves internally. How they are with others is a combination or nature and nurture and experience

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah. I know what you mean. I had this happen recently. Current bf made me livid. Long story but he put himself in a no win situation where he could have been really hurt due to his own carelessness.

I don't get angry really but yeah. I thought I could have lost him and that made me not understand just how much I was feeling. I was overcome. Conflicted. Numb.

Not a good place to be behind the wheel but it - hate to say this - but no place else to be either.

Pure fire. Blue flame in your head. Sometimes you need an engine.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah. I know what you mean. I had this happen recently. Current bf made me livid. Long story but he put himself in a no win situation where he could have been really hurt due to his own carelessness.

I don't get angry really but yeah. I thought I could have lost him and that made me not understand just how much I was feeling. I was overcome. Conflicted. Numb.

Not a good place to be behind the wheel but it - hate to say this - but no place else to be either.

Yeah, compared to an Fi type it really is a numb and avoidance type of mechanism in regard to anger. learning how to let it out in a better manner. it doesn't really happen much either anymore. Last time was a maybe 3-4 years ago...due to ex as well. That was the one I attempted another method, talked with a friend, let out the emotions. Plus my speed bag helped as well.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, compared to an Fi type it really is a numb and avoidance type of mechanism in regard to anger. learning how to let it out in a better manner. it doesn't really happen much either anymore. Last time was a maybe 3-4 years ago...due to ex as well. That was the one I attempted another method, talked with a friend, let out the emotions. Plus my speed bag helped as well.

Yeah. It is immediate though. I think that is the scary part in hindsight that I wasn't thinking until I was halfway into the situation, then you start to use your brain but it is still hard because it does feel good.

In the past, I haven't spoken too much to friends. I do but a lot of times never like the feeling afterward. Ugh. I usually run - a lot. Until I wear myself out physically then I feel able to let go emotionally. It's like taking an emotional shower.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I would still put your dom as what leads you which seems like introverted perception followed by Ti even if going by time under tension puts Ti in the lead. or as a 4 letter dichotomy stick with ISTx. if someone cares to ask you can just explain that your really middle of the road. Its your call though what you decide.They all have merit. Its just a preference of whats more important...dom or time under tension. time under tension if you don't control life can and will change since its not your dom. Change it when time under tension changes if you choose Ti+Si+Se. A lot of ISTJs I know have a very high Se, as time goes on it is known to dwindle down lower....time under tension...and a more mature and stable Fi will rear its head.

OK. Why do you think I lead with Pi? I really want to hear some logical reasoning for this one or at least provide me the data that made you see that/describe your impression or whatever.

Why not Ti > Si, why Si > Ti, essentially, as I did give you both TP and TJ aspects about myself?

Of course it is my call to decide on this, this is a no brainer. :) :p

What do you mean by "dom or time under tension"? I'm again not following there as you again went a bit too random in wording your stuff. I don't mind, it's just real hard to follow. Note I'm not a native speaker of English. Maybe that also gets in the way...? I focus on grammar a bit more in this language than in my own native language. (Tho' I'm pretty oriented towards it in my first language too)

I do figure you are trying to say something like, ISTJ would spend more time with Ti under stress? But you talked about some change stuff too, what was that? I couldn't decipher that part :p

What does this high Se for ISTJs look like? I don't think my Se dwindled down over time. It's still the same as when I was a kid.

When does their Fi come out first? At what age usually? 'Cuz I cannot see a trace of Fi in myself and I'm not exactly a teenager. Though I'm not old either, no I'm past 25 a bit.

Yeah it's one of those two, I suppose, no need to overcomplicate it with other options that I've basically excluded.

What, lol, was he/she drunk?

It's annoying to read the bullshit on liking traditions and whatever peaceful crap. I couldn't give a flying fuck about that peaceful orientation thing. I don't revere authority either, I am my own authority.

Lol but seriously, I just cannot relate to any of that in the ISTJ descriptions. I do relate to some Jish things including ability to stick to some commitments. Some. I can get irresponsible in smaller things.

I also cannot relate to the part where it says ISTJs readily absorb unconnected facts being listed. No, I have to first link them. I cannot absorb them to actually remember them in any other way. My mind just does not take them in as separate facts. Maybe unconsciously it can do it somewhat as I do surprise myself with automatic recall of facts here and there where the context calls for it, so this is a highly context dependent recall of them. But, I do prefer to understand them, not just rote learning of them. Again, in a conscious fashion I just cannot learn facts without first linking them together in an understanding.

I don't get the idea on Si tbh. Isn't it supposed to be a perceptual function? Descriptions are full of things that sound like jungian Rationality, that is, actually judging things internally, like, strict organization and categorization of details. Not simply perceiving them but actually going into the trouble of processing them in a Rational way, making *distinct* judgments. It does not seem to simply "flow" on its own like perceptions do. Or maybe I misunderstand something there...

More importantly, a core concept about Si seems to be that it's about collections of impressions. That does seem to be irrational/perceptual, not rationality/judging. But, I don't seem to be doing this in a conscious fashion or I haven't noticed. I don't ever consciously reason "I experienced this in the past and this is now different from that". I can notice if something changed if say, an object is in a different location than before. Or a different object is there, with different colour, shape, etc... But that's about it I think.

OK, now, out of curiosity - give me your definition and/or description on how you live your own Ti. :)

Yeah, I don't like ISTJ descriptions and I don't like some ISTP ones either. I think the ISTP ones make us bigger and more badass then we really are. And I think that ISTJ ones make them more boring then they really are. Its the whole...dom Ti means the person is this way with other people...no it means they are this way with themselves internally. How they are with others is a combination or nature and nurture and experience

Hm, I think ESTP is made to sound a lot more badass tbh. :shrug

ISTP descriptions seem realistic, somehow. To me anyway. I can see where it tries to go overboard but I can still fit those parts into reality in the correctly modified way (made more realistic easily). Whatever that means.

As for the Ti-dom being whatever way internally. I do think the ISTP descriptions describe ISTP from a POV that's too external, not written by an ISTP, just by someone who observed them. Hardly anything is noted about how things truly work internally for them. (Or for other types, either, I think)

I did read the Lenore Thomson descriptions of ISTP and ISTJ and those do attempt to show the things going on internally in the mind, that is nice, but the interpretations she gives are weird to me. I think her main tenet of linking functions to either the right or the left brain hemisphere is fundamentally flawed so her reasoning is also flawed.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
comfort zone as in control of car. as I push the car harder and I get better my comfort zone in that car goes up and I push harder. I do that normally, but its a greatly accelerated rate when emotions kick in as I have a goal...to get out of my head. I am trying different things recently to avoid this and change, in the process of not doing this my emotions come out more and stronger.

OK I get it now, the earlier description. What I still don't understand in this one is, what do you mean by having a goal of getting out of your head? Do you get stuck in your head? And if you leave your head, emotions come out more or what?

EDIT: nevermind I reread and lol, I think I was missing the whole context. I get it now, ok.

Hm. I'm more familiar with anger. Maybe it's my enneagram 8 (or 1? But I think 8 more than 1)

I have more trouble with other emotions. Anger is fine. That's really basically the only one that's fine, where I do have my own autonomy over the emotion. Where I can easily get into the emotion and yet I stay in control enough for the most part. That is, I still keep my logic fine. It's good :) ...yeah even when raging.

No uh this anger shit may be enneagram related more than Fi/Ti related. Are you 9 in enneagram by any chance? The going numb and avoiding anger is a very enneagram 9 mechanism. I cannot relate to it but I'm not a 9.

Can I ask, when you talk to a friend, do you express your emotional states directly beyond just giving a mostly logical sounding rant in words?

Poki said:

So going back to this post of yours. For me emotions that are *not* anger (as I said I have a much more refined handle on the emotion of anger and its variants), they either are or they are not: very black and white. If it's some emotion I never experienced before and I experience it for the first time - and such discoveries happen to me from time to time -, I'm like, wow this is alien. Lol. It can get kinda scary or weird, sure. I don't think it's an entirely negative thing though, I don't always try to fully reject them. Sometimes I try... then sometimes not. Sometimes it's 100MPH sometimes not.

That falling in love thing. What do you do if one day you wake up and you are out of the "grip", no feels anymore, and it all becomes pointless? Or do you still consider yourself in love still?

Yeah. It is immediate though. I think that is the scary part in hindsight that I wasn't thinking until I was halfway into the situation, then you start to use your brain but it is still hard because it does feel good.

The anger? That's what feels good?

In the past, I haven't spoken too much to friends. I do but a lot of times never like the feeling afterward. Ugh. I usually run - a lot. Until I wear myself out physically then I feel able to let go emotionally. It's like taking an emotional shower.

Hm I find I don't like to use my sports training to deal with emotions. I'm not sure how I get to that point you talk of, but don't really want to do it via sports. Idk why. I just find it makes me rage more and more when I actually probably need to face a different emotion, not rage. Just a random comment lol