• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I want no bias here...

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I tried to keep it short for you all, oh great expert typers. With that many questions, that's not exactly possible, so, I'm happy already if you just skim parts but do give some input. Thanks for reading this =)

A bit of background on myself: I'm female, 25+

Questionnaire:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I seem to have two modes of how I think. One seems right brained holistic vs the other one rather left brained detail oriented. I don't want to explain more on these modes, to not bias anyone.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

Working through crazy impossible seeming tasks. E.g. I had to find the way in a completely foreign place with almost zero information provided and with serious restriction on the time, it was great solving this task seemingly effortlessly; in reality I was relying a lot on gut instincts, it is fun how well that can work. I actually have done this many times :p

Physical challenges. Feeling in flow.

Also feel great when I feel like a real computer... Looking at a whole screen of numbers and effortlessly seeing the patterns in them and manipulating them.

I have a similar feeling also when I've got through a real thorough detail oriented analysis of details and experiences and as a consequence can see how things work together, I see the main principles, the logical links establishing structure, determining the degree of relevancy for everything, all of it allowing me to make judgments very easily and quickly.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

People stuff. Also I don't like creativity tests requiring brainstorming...

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

The objective first and foremost. Main decisive factors of the situation/issue effortlessly selected with priorities determined either directly based on the objective or also by previous thorough analysis of the details if complexity warranted such thoroughness.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

The objective determines the rest. Yes I want control.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

With friends, not feeling left out, actually involved.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?

Depends on the subject that I need to learn and on the circumstances, do I have enough time to cover everything, do I even need that to achieve my goal, etc.

I have two ways primarily. One of them is learn on the move whatever I need for the task at a given moment. The advantage is that I learn it through direct experience right away. I don't like how it may not cover everything though. It will stay as a persistent annoyance in the background if I do not have complete understanding but I don't always have the time to get into everything deep enough :/. The other way is sit down learn and cover everything via thorough analysis. I will however need to practice what I've understood to commit it properly to memory and to become quick and flexible enough at application as it initially is a rather rigid understanding.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?

I am very organized for my long term goals and for some daily things, many things I own have their own places as well. I do have some disorganization too that I'd rather not have so I fully clean it up periodically. Some of the small details I don't ever find enough interest to fix, though, it'd be just a waste of time. I'd rather not show those details to others tho'.

I don't keep my daily schedule completely strictly either, I can and will easily shift timings of things, though I do get the important things done as I intended. Certain tasks that don't need more than a day's work I only do right before the deadline and that way the quality of the work is just fine but with other things that need more work than that I will try to start well in time to ensure the quality doesn't suffer.

So overall I don't think I'm organized in everything, I'm not sure how I am compared to others though, things that I find really basic seem like overkill in terms of organization from the viewpoint of some people. At the same time I'm also accused of disorganization and procrastination, not by the same people obviously.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

Principles pulled from a lot of information if it's truly a new topic. If it's in an area I already have a strong understanding of, I will just make snap judgments, right away.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

The former but oh, so rarely do I have attention on this. Only if I feel responsible for the group.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Both, I can easily speak of the snap judgments, other things I will have to think about. Either way of communication works though in groups my attention is only on one person at a time and I have to constantly switch my focus between the different people to keep things together in my head.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

Depends but I am often too impatient to look up things/details and then I either jump in blindly, which does bother me a bit but does not stop me from doing so, or I will quickly decide on the main decisive factors about whether to go or not to go and then again I jump in quickly. In other cases I'll get some information first. Actions and words are equal in terms of importance, words can be nice but I will check for consistency between the two.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I will go if I'm convinced it'll go well or if I decide I should go for whatever reason. Favourite show in these cases is to be watched later.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

What counts as stress?

I suppose what most people call stress, I don't perceive it as such, but I do easily get irritated at impersonal obstacles in my way and I don't hide that. I may get into outbursts with certain people if I have an issue with them, this is mostly anger related emotionality. If I feel exhausted, I'll do passive rest for a bit. I may also analyse a lot if I feel a sore lack of understanding and/or if I feel I need to change something to fix things, this happens when I get real disoriented.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Unsympathetic attitude from some people?

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Intellectual topics, e.g. scientific understanding of things including my own deeper thoughts
Computers/some gadgets
Sports, tho this becomes analysis too, really.
Some girly things :)

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?

People in a personal fashion
Out of the box thinking

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

I've heard so many things said about me... however they would never say that I'm crazy out-there imaginative.

These also often come up, strongly and consistently emphasized by many different people: logical, insensitive, aggressive, confident, persistent, successful, know-it-all, helpful, enthusiastic.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I already have my days like that. I do what I want.

Last edited:

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
[MENTION=24643]Frosty6226[/MENTION] [MENTION=20044]chubber[/MENTION] and everyone else reading:

So. ISTP somewhat fits but here's some things against it. I read that ISTPs don't voice their logical opinions/judgments much, I'm actually often OK with doing so. I do keep a lot of other judgments to myself tho'.

Also, I can make quick decisions and I like that. In another mode, I do collect and cover a lot of information first and go through the details and analyse before I get to a decision, which is again a quick process after I went through everything. I prefer having made it and don't want to keep options open. When the options are still open it is only because I'm thorough in checking out things and analysing them.

And, sure, I have a mode of improvising via easily seeing direct concrete options/opportunities with the ability to quickly move around those; but I also have a mode where I block them out and I don't improvise then because I go by my previously decided plan. It requires a mental switch to go to improvising mode then.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have no problem voicino it. I just don't because it's doesn't always come up and I am generally not one to push myself into the world. Those close and I talk to alot will here it more, others I am just more of a listener. Not alot of people I am close to, so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't come out much.

At work it comes out ALOT due to my position and being treated alot lime a consultant where people are looking for my opinion and logic and understanding.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I have no problem voicino it. I just don't because it's doesn't always come up and I am generally not one to push myself into the world. Those close and I talk to alot will here it more, others I am just more of a listener. Not alot of people I am close to, so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't come out much.

At work it comes out ALOT due to my position and being treated alot lime a consultant where people are looking for my opinion and logic and understanding.

OK that makes sense. The only difference here would be that I can do it with people who aren't close to me if I'm not being as reserved in the specific situation.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I still find the ISTP descriptions too narrow and too stereotypically P. It's like it's missing a whole other side of mine. Do any other ISTPs feel this way about it?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK that makes sense. The only difference here would be that I can do it with people who aren't close to me if I'm not being as reserved in the specific situation.

I can, I just don't have a desire to so I dont. I am pretty reserved and drunk just makes me more flirty, not more Ti Ni unreserved.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I still find the ISTP descriptions too narrow and too stereotypically P. It's like it's missing a whole other side of mine. Do any other ISTPs feel this way about it?

Depends on description. Those that focus on emotional aspects or what Ti means are off base with me. As if since I a Ti dom I can't see anything not "logical" and everything I do is based on logic. I know I personally feel more like a cross between istp and estp. And more estp in person, not necessarily descriptions.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I can, I just don't have a desire to so I dont. I am pretty reserved and drunk just makes me more flirty, not more Ti Ni unreserved.

I sometimes do have a desire... maybe because that's a way to try and participate in the convo going on. You are less interested in that then?

I do use other ways too to participate, btw. This is one of them.

Depends on description. Those that focus on emotional aspects or what Ti means are off base with me. As if since I a Ti dom I can't see anything not "logical" and everything I do is based on logic. I know I personally feel more like a cross between istp and estp. And more estp in person, not necessarily descriptions.

Yeah I feel like a cross too between those two types! :p And ST in general, except ESTJ, I definitely don't relate to Te-dom

So are you saying that you are not always doing things strictly based on logic and that you do actually have some emotions?!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I sometimes do have a desire... maybe because that's a way to try and participate in the convo going on. You are less interested in that then?

I do use other ways too to participate, btw. This is one of them.

Yeah I feel like a cross too between those two types! :p And ST in general, except ESTJ, I definitely don't relate to Te-dom

So are you saying that you are not always doing things strictly based on logic and that you do actually have some emotions?!

I am extremely analytical. Logic is a method to analyze. Emotions don't control my life much. I have no issues with emotions, mine or others. No issue understanding them or anything. Just because I understand does not mean I agree. Not controlled by logic either. I would say learning and analysis from cause and affect is the biggest thing that controls my life.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I am extremely analytical. Logic is a method to analyze. Emotions don't control my life much. I have no issues with emotions, mine or others. No issue understanding them or anything. Just because I understand does not mean I agree. Not controlled by logic either. I would say learning and analysis from cause and affect is the biggest thing that controls my life.

So how do you mean this, analysis from cause and effect controls your life but logic doesn't? I'm honestly not following. :)

Anyway. I looked at the ISTPs and they seem more laid back with no care for anything in the world than I am.

ESTP is too extraverted however.

INTJ too intellectual in a sense, more Ni than I have.

INTP even more so, even more "too intellectual".

Forget about F types, I think.

So? Why don't I relate to any of these?

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
OK. It basically says:

TJ types = work in an organized fashion for goals
TP types = take problems as they come and solve them

I do both, enjoy both.

Now what?

Thanks for thoughts.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'll summon a few people who I've seen post in other type threads as I'd really appreciate some input on this.

Please see mainly posts #4 and #13, beyond the questionnaire in the initial post - the rest are not so important to read.. if that helps :p.

[MENTION=25892]Smilephantomhive[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION]
[MENTION=22628]Sil[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION]
[MENTION=16650]Morning Star[/MENTION]
[MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION]
[MENTION=26002]estorm[/MENTION]

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You don't use Ne at all, so throw out any types using Ne.

You use Ti. Logical analysis seems pretty strong here.

You use Se. You jump into experience and figure things out.

So, your only choices are ESTP, ENFJ, INFJ, and ISTP. Let's not complicate things more.

Now you felt pretty STP to me and since I saw Poki was on this, I didn't believe I previously needed to help out.

Don't discount a NFJ type too soon. I originally tested as a ISTP 20+ years ago on the official MBTI. I have never been a ISTP in reality, it just reflected that I coped with a difficult childhood by trying to reject feelings and become introverted.

Of course, while I thought that, I have multiple degrees in humanities, was the guy organizing parties during finals in grad school, was the most outspoken student in every class from preschool to grad school, and the most social guy in any office I have ever worked in.

Sometimes we don't see ourselves clearly, until we peel aware the layers of ego constructs.

Finally, we can look at the inferior:

When you get really, really, really stressed, worn out by too much stuff to do, deadlines, etc., how are you?

Are you hyper self critical?

Do you indulge in frivolous activities and shopping?

Do you get hyper emotional about others?

Do you get crazy worked up over a single remote possibility?

Do you get hyper critical of others and super vigilant of any incompetence?

Do you get overwhelmed by too many possibilities?

Do you get trapped in rigid thinking or past experiences?

Do you get self-absorbed in an emotional spiral?

Which of these best suits you when you are at your worst?

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
You don't use Ne at all, so throw out any types using Ne.

Fair enough, lol, I certainly don't see any Ne in myself.

You use Ti. Logical analysis seems pretty strong here.

You use Se. You jump into experience and figure things out.

So, your only choices are ESTP, ENFJ, INFJ, and ISTP. Let's not complicate things more.

OK we can go by these assumptions atm.

Though I'd like to add that I don't necessarily jump into experience right away to figure things out. I described two different modes of learning, only one of them is like that. But, even with the other mode of learning I'm much better off if I can translate it into experience sooner or later.

Don't discount a NFJ type too soon. I originally tested as a ISTP 20+ years ago on the official MBTI. I have never been a ISTP in reality, it just reflected that I coped with a difficult childhood by trying to reject feelings and become introverted.

Of course, while I thought that, I have multiple degrees in humanities, was the guy organizing parties during finals in grad school, was the most outspoken student in every class from preschool to grad school, and the most social guy in any office I have ever worked in.

Sometimes we don't see ourselves clearly, until we peel aware the layers of ego constructs.

I agree on the last sentence :)

I don't relate to anything you wrote about yourself, though, I'm kinda the opposite totally, though I organized a couple parties and I can get quite outspoken sporadically (like I explained to Poki). I suck at the humanities topics...

Finally, we can look at the inferior:

When you get really, really, really stressed, worn out by too much stuff to do, deadlines, etc., how are you?

Which question is which inferior, can you tell me?

1) Are you hyper self critical?

No lol this issue is alien to me

2) Do you indulge in frivolous activities and shopping?

Not typically, though the shopping part happened

3) Do you get hyper emotional about others?

No, in the sense that if I do get hyper emotional about others it's not simply due to being worn out by stress from usual practical issues. I don't break down that easily... So if this happens, it's directly due to problems with those people. Though the more stress comes from such people related sources, the worse I will be with this.

4) Do you get crazy worked up over a single remote possibility?

Not really, even if it comes up -not often, I'd have to be really really very stressed for it-, I will tell myself that it's unrealistic, I may even calculate that the probability is <0.001 and imagine that number in front of my mind's eyes, works pretty well :p

5) Do you get hyper critical of others and super vigilant of any incompetence?

No

6) Do you get overwhelmed by too many possibilities?

No, as I'm good at shutting them out.

7) Do you get trapped in rigid thinking or past experiences?

What counts here as rigid thinking? This is unclear to me, please clarify. My thinking is pretty rigid by default in some things, I don't have to be stressed for it, I don't think..?

No I typically don't get trapped in past experiences when under stress. In some weirdly traumatic moments I did get flooded by them a bit, though.

8) Do you get self-absorbed in an emotional spiral?

What is meant by "emotional spiral"? This is again a bit unclear, clarify please.

But something like that has happened before but I had to be in some real crazy situation for that, really prolonged stress. What it was like, just extreme emotionality out of nowhere. With people, without people, randomly.

Which of these best suits you when you are at your worst?

Some mix of variations on 3) (if that counts), 4) and 8) if I interpreted it right?

What does that tell you?

Diablesse

And here I was wondering how Ne would express itself in writing, since I am not necessarily seeing Ne in the writing of those claiming to be Ne dominants. If Ne is a perceiving and information gathering function how would it express itself?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fair enough, lol, I certainly don't see any Ne in myself.

OK we can go by these assumptions atm.

Though I'd like to add that I don't necessarily jump into experience right away to figure things out. I described two different modes of learning, only one of them is like that. But, even with the other mode of learning I'm much better off if I can translate it into experience sooner or later.

I agree on the last sentence :)

I don't relate to anything you wrote about yourself, though, I'm kinda the opposite totally, though I organized a couple parties and I can get quite outspoken sporadically (like I explained to Poki). I suck at the humanities topics...

Which question is which inferior, can you tell me?

1) Are you hyper self critical?

No lol this issue is alien to me

2) Do you indulge in frivolous activities and shopping?

Not typically, though the shopping part happened

3) Do you get hyper emotional about others?

No, in the sense that if I do get hyper emotional about others it's not simply due to being worn out by stress from usual practical issues. I don't break down that easily... So if this happens, it's directly due to problems with those people. Though the more stress comes from such people related sources, the worse I will be with this.

4) Do you get crazy worked up over a single remote possibility?

Not really, even if it comes up -not often, I'd have to be really really very stressed for it-, I will tell myself that it's unrealistic, I may even calculate that the probability is <0.001 and imagine that number in front of my mind's eyes, works pretty well :p

5) Do you get hyper critical of others and super vigilant of any incompetence?

No

6) Do you get overwhelmed by too many possibilities?

No, as I'm good at shutting them out.

7) Do you get trapped in rigid thinking or past experiences?

What counts here as rigid thinking? This is unclear to me, please clarify. My thinking is pretty rigid by default in some things, I don't have to be stressed for it, I don't think..?

No I typically don't get trapped in past experiences when under stress. In some weirdly traumatic moments I did get flooded by them a bit, though.

8) Do you get self-absorbed in an emotional spiral?

What is meant by "emotional spiral"? This is again a bit unclear, clarify please.

But something like that has happened before but I had to be in some real crazy situation for that, really prolonged stress. What it was like, just extreme emotionality out of nowhere. With people, without people, randomly.

Some mix of variations on 3) (if that counts), 4) and 8) if I interpreted it right?

What does that tell you?

ISTP....

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
And here I was wondering how Ne would express itself in writing, since I am not necessarily seeing Ne in the writing of those claiming to be Ne dominants. If Ne is a perceiving and information gathering function how would it express itself?

Random ramblings? :D

Sorry, that's from my POV :p

Also, to me it seems rather vague whatever they talk about.