• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I believe I am an ENFP, but keep scoring ENFJ. Why is this? What am I really?

Teal

MBTI Type
exfx
The first time I took the Jung Typology test I scored ENFP "Campaigner". It was 100% spot on. Every word was like viewing myself under a microscope. That was my Freshman year in college (about 3 years ago). I started to develop new and more efficient habits when my life became more demanding.

I took the test about 30 times over this past year because I kept scoring ENFJ "Protagonist". I scored ENFJ every time, even after going back changing the answers I was unsure about and taking different versions of the test. The description of an ENFJ does not fit me, although it is an amazing personality. I have a best friend who is an ENFJ and my bf's dad is one as well, but I don't share their habits.

I went and read up on the ENFP's strengths/weakness on 16personalities and they were again spot on. Then I read ENFJ's strengths/weakness and the strengths fit well, but not even one the weaknesses was mine. I'm certain that I'm an ENFP, external intuition and internal feeling. So why do I keep scoring an internal intuition-er with external feeling???

Ps. My Professor had us take a temperament test and I scored EXFX. I was found to not have a preference to sensing nor intuition (But I always think ahead and plan while using my past as a tool.), and no preference to judging or feeling (I know how I feel about mostly everything, I'm a Leo, ruled by the Sun.) That temperament test had the most frustrating result yet...I hope this PS. could be a big clue for someone regarding what I am. Still, I need an explanation for why I'm scoring ENFJ.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tests are not clear. The MBTI is more about temperament. The research shows that people who test the same way have similar traits. A ENFP really will act in ways similar to Es, ENs, ENPs, Ns, Fs, Ps, NFs, NPs, FPs, EPs, EFs, ENFs, EFPs, etc. So tests might show you are in a ballpark.

Cognitive functions have less supported research, but people like Dario Nardi are bringing neuroscience into the process to validate the system.

So, if you use NeFi you are a ENFP and likely have the distinct brain patterns of a ENFP. Tests might screw up the results because of how the tests are designed. And personal bias plays a factor.

I have a very good ENFP friend and we are pretty similar, just different ways to similar results....... My sister is a ENFP and it feels similarly.

Likewise my other sister is a INFJ and she feels very much like me, but more introverted...

Teal

MBTI Type
exfx
Tests are not clear. The MBTI is more about temperament. The research shows that people who test the same way have similar traits. A ENFP really will act in ways similar to Es, ENs, ENPs, Ns, Fs, Ps, NFs, NPs, FPs, EPs, EFs, ENFs, EFPs, etc. So tests might show you are in a ballpark.

Cognitive functions have less supported research, but people like Dario Nardi are bringing neuroscience into the process to validate the system.

So, if you use NeFi you are a ENFP and likely have the distinct brain patterns of a ENFP. Tests might screw up the results because of how the tests are designed. And personal bias plays a factor.

I have a very good ENFP friend and we are pretty similar, just different ways to similar results....... My sister is a ENFP and it feels similarly.

Likewise my other sister is a INFJ and she feels very much like me, but more introverted...

renaissanceman51

If you were already satisfied with your ENFP score the first time you took it, why keep taking it again after that?

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you were already satisfied with your ENFP score the first time you took it, why keep taking it again after that?

Because accuracy. Because truth. Because not living a lie.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Repeatedly taking the same test to try to get the result you want is not truth...

The fact that someone got a test result once certainly doesn't make it accurate. No one suggested one should retake the same test in search for a "desired result."

renaissanceman51

If you go back to the original comment, Teal said he/she took the test 30 times and kept getting the same result, which he/she doesn't think fits him/her. That absolutely IS retaking the test to get a desired result. I've met a lot of people over the years who don't have a very accurate view of the type of people they are; seems like this Teal person is one of those...

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Teal said he/she took the test 30 times and kept getting the same result
Statistics can be good if you are not that familiar with type descriptions and you are using a relatively good quality test and you know yourself enough to be able to answer the questions accurately and honestly. The problem is that people often don't know themselves well enough and the quality of tests is often very poor. A good test should consist of a lot of very primitive questions that are very simple and easy to answer accurately even without much thinking or deep self-knowledge.

I still think that trying to match your personality with detailed type descriptions is the easiest way to find out your "flavor" especially if you aren't standard enough to accurately map yourself to one specific type.