• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it possible to be an INFJ with INTP tendencies?

aic

MBTI Type
INFJ
Can you please help me figure out my personality type? (a list of my personality traits is below). It's confusing because I am moderate in most things in life. I am open to any new personality type suggestions. Thank you in advance. Sorry for such a long list, haha.

INFJ: Try to be very empathetic and considerate with people.
Dislikes highly technical things. (more interested in humanities).
Very reserved and private but enjoy interacting with others.
Likes to listen, too.
Likes some structure.
Very sensitive and when I get angry, I tend to blow up.
Feels very guilty and bad if I hurt someone's feelings.
Tries to be diplomatic/likes to compromise
open-minded
Calm.

INTP: Very analytical.
Absentminded.
External can be very messy.
Don't like too much routine.
Can be very exact when I try to say things.
Very inquisitive.
Sometimes skeptical.
Can come off as aloof.
Leadership is not my first choice.
Likes to come up with logical explanations
Doesn't decide on things quickly
Unconventional.
Loves knowledge.
Somewhat ant-authority
open-minded
Not a stickler for rules.
Impish playfulness.
Likes individual work better

Misc: Very observant/remember certain details
get stressed easily/worry too much (on the little things)
easy-going
"superiority complexes" and arrogance are my biggest turn offs
moderate on the political scene.
Stubborn on certain things.
Bad public speaker.
Hates (and sometimes avoids) drama/ conflicts.
Bases decisions partly on feelings and partly on facts
Likes literature, history, social sciences/ dislikes math and general sciences.
Bad at art.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Both types use Ti, and with the tertiary temptation (the inclination to display/use your third function often due to external pressures), it is reasonable to expect that some INFJ mistype themselves as INTP (or, in your case, experience INTP tendencies).

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Especially male INFJs could possibly mistype themselves as INTPs, I think...

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
You sound quite like me, bar the moderate political leanings and compromise. Consider INFP, too.

Why do you think J?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Especially male INFJs could possibly mistype themselves as INTPs, I think...

Male INFJs use Ni and Ti
whilst the females use Fe and Se
in general - males are more introverted than females

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Male INFJs use Ni and Ti

That goes right into the INFJ geek thread xDD

aic

MBTI Type
INFJ
You sound quite like me, bar the moderate political leanings and compromise. Consider INFP, too.

Why do you think J?
well, i'm not quite sure if I'm a J. I like a some structure and rules but not too many but then again I'm rarely organized so I don't know. Also, I am pretty sure that i'm not an INFP. My adoptive mom is an INFP and we are pretty different. Maybe the wide ranges in the e/i, s/n,t/f, j/p continuums account for the differences. I'm more moderate and she's on the extreme side of F.

-Thank you,
aic

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
consider the functions and their nature before you do the T and F
its a lot less 2D

redacted

hahaha yes it's quite possible. it's that Ti and intuition. INTP profiles actually fit me better than INFJ profiles. i'm definitely an Ni user, though; not Ne. also, my dad is INTP and i basically copied his thinking style as a child.

i'm way more sensitive to the feeling world (Fe) than INTPs though. (but some of the people that i teach MBTI to swear i'm INTP)

INFJs commonly mistype themselves as INTPs.

don't get tripped up by the P/J divide. are you an Ni user or Ne user? does your Fe hinder your actions significantly? those are the questions you should be asking yourself.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Male INFJs use Ni and Ti

The theory is rather that because of cultural bias (male identity and stereotypes), male INFJs will focus on and exaggerate the degree to which they use Ti, and maybe wrongly think they use it more than Fe. Self-observation isn't an easy thing.

redacted

male INFJs will focus on and exaggerate the degree to which they use Ti, and maybe wrongly think they use it more than Fe.

why, though, would your middle two functions have to be in a specific order?

and whats the difference between exaggerating the degree of usage of Ti and actually using Ti more often?

aic

MBTI Type
INFJ
hahaha yes it's quite possible. it's that Ti and intuition. INTP profiles actually fit me better than INFJ profiles. i'm definitely an Ni user, though; not Ne. also, my dad is INTP and i basically copied his thinking style as a child.

i'm way more sensitive to the feeling world (Fe) than INTPs though. (but some of the people that i teach MBTI to swear i'm INTP)

INFJs commonly mistype themselves as INTPs.

don't get tripped up by the P/J divide. are you an Ni user or Ne user? does your Fe hinder your actions significantly? those are the questions you should be asking yourself.

I'm starting to think I'm more of an INTP but with a fairly developed Ne. Also, I'm guessing my somewhat difficult past helped me to develop my F side a good deal and taught me how to use the other side of the continuum for the other aspects. My mother thought that I was a ESTJ for the longest time. Nuts, huh?

redacted

Also, I'm guessing my somewhat difficult past helped me to develop my F side a good deal and taught me how to use the other side of the continuum for the other aspects.

interesting. it was the opposite for me; my past made me repress my F to the point where i basically lived in Ni+Ti mode. which is of course why i typed myself as (and am constantly typed as) a T.

i only developed my Fe as i became more introspective/healthy.

the MBTI letters are misleading...INTPs and INFJs seem much more alike than INTPs and INFPs or INFJs and INTJs. (i find that different judgment functions lead to much more disagreement than different perceiving functions.)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess perception compatibility means you "see" (take in) things the same way, but judgment is sort of the "output", and not being judgment compatible will cause clashes as you react to things in different ways.

aic

MBTI Type
INFJ
interesting. it was the opposite for me; my past made me repress my F to the point where i basically lived in Ni+Ti mode. which is of course why i typed myself as (and am constantly typed as) a T.

i only developed my Fe as i became more introspective/healthy.

the MBTI letters are misleading...INTPs and INFJs seem much more alike than INTPs and INFPs or INFJs and INTJs. (i find that different judgment functions lead to much more disagreement than different perceiving functions.)

Haha, that sounds very logical. I took the test again using my gut and I got IXXP so I took the tie-breaker and got the NF temperament.

redacted

aic

MBTI Type
INFJ
meh; people on the fringe of T and F are impossible to type with dichotomies. you really have to learn the functions.

you could also try this test:
Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

not amazingly accurate, but it might be a good starting point.

I guess I'm the dichotomy. I base my decisions on how other people might feel and reasoning way more than the way I feel. It's time for me to just accept not really fitting into a type and be unique but thank you very much for your insight!

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I like to base my decisions on how other people might feel and logical facts way more than the way I feel.

That sounds pretty "Fe Ti" to me. (aka.. INFJ)

redacted

I guess I'm the dichotomy. I base my decisions on how other people might feel and reasoning way more than the way I feel. It's time for me to just accept not really fitting into a type and be unique but thank you very much for your insight!

ha. you're INFJ; i agree with disregard (i still want to call her dana)