• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do I use Fe or Fi?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark with this

Both allow a great capacity for empathy, but it happens in reverse order.

So the way I see it (and please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't want to spread yet more disinformation) is that

Those with a preference for Fe seem to literally absorb the emotions and feelings of others, then they might step back and use their perceiving function to get a sense of why people feel a particular way

Fi seems to work in reverse...i.e. the Fi user might first put their self in another's shoes, then the emotion or feeling is mirrored in the Fi user.

It can happen so fast that a person with strong feeling might have difficulty discerning the difference.

Am I wrong?

Dox

MBTI Type
????

So the way I see it (and please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't want to spread yet more disinformation) is that

Those with a preference for Fe seem to literally absorb the emotions and feelings of others, then they might step back and use their perceiving function to get a sense of why people feel a particular way

Fi seems to work in reverse...i.e. the Fi user might first put their self in another's shoes, then the emotion or feeling is mirrored in the Fi user.

It can happen so fast that a person with strong feeling might have difficulty discerning the difference.

Am I wrong?

I'm not really good at cognitive functions, so please take my words lightly. But I think this is pretty legit. Like you've said though, it can be so difficult to differentiate.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Am I wrong?

With me...taken I am inferior Fe...because I feel, think, and act different I can't put myself in the other persons shoes to see how they feel. I don't stress much, I don't feel much in the same manner others do. So I have to key off of a combination of knowing the person, the logic of what they say, and the persons emotions. So while something maybe easy for me, I can empathize with someone if I know they are struggling and it's hard for them. I don't need to feel myself as I cant. I think Fe dom removes the logic, and goes more straight off of the other persons emotions. But i think when they absorb it they dont mimmick the emotions, they judge them and take action on it., I look at the big picture though, not just a portion.

I know my girlfriend who is Fi aux will break down and cry if someone else is. She really does absorb the emotions, where as my ex who is Dom Fe doesn't do this, she wants others to cry with her, but she doesn't cry with them. She does help them, but not feel with them. They more do what you said as Fi feeling inside, except they don't have to put themselves I. The other persons shoes, they just feel, but it really is personal as they may feel different because they may lack the actual understanding. And be off base with reality.

My ex used to get angry on my behalf when I didn't care, get sad when I wasn't sad, etc. It's like she has these predetermined feelings based on situations and thats what she feels, not what the other person feels. That's what she acted on, these predetermined feelings.

Have to put more thought and analysis into this. I know the difference, just gotta figure out how to word it.

Kas

Fabula rasa

Am I wrong?

I believe it's true. I can't understand sb without imagining what would I feel in the very same situation if I woud be them( with their experiences etc). It's quick and automatic, but I know I do it very often.

It causes taking everything a little bit personally. That's probably the reason why I tend to be both very lenient and demanding to others.

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here's a YouTube video on this thread topic:

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With me...taken I am inferior Fe...because I feel, think, and act different I can't put myself in the other persons shoes to see how they feel. I don't stress much, I don't feel much in the same manner others do. So I have to key off of a combination of knowing the person, the logic of what they say, and the persons emotions. So while something maybe easy for me, I can empathize with someone if I know they are struggling and it's hard for them. I don't need to feel myself as I cant. I think Fe dom removes the logic, and goes more straight off of the other persons emotions. But i think when they absorb it they dont mimmick the emotions, they judge them and take action on it., I look at the big picture though, not just a portion.

I know my girlfriend who is Fi aux will break down and cry if someone else is. She really does absorb the emotions, where as my ex who is Dom Fe doesn't do this, she wants others to cry with her, but she doesn't cry with them. She does help them, but not feel with them. They more do what you said as Fi feeling inside, except they don't have to put themselves I. The other persons shoes, they just feel, but it really is personal as they may feel different because they may lack the actual understanding. And be off base with reality.

My ex used to get angry on my behalf when I didn't care, get sad when I wasn't sad, etc. It's like she has these predetermined feelings based on situations and thats what she feels, not what the other person feels. That's what she acted on, these predetermined feelings.

Have to put more thought and analysis into this. I know the difference, just gotta figure out how to word it.

They feel, they are mirroring emotions, it all gets filtered through Fi in a "how would this make me feel" way and it isn't always a conscious thought process so it could look like or seem like they are actually absorbing the emotions. They may feel different and be off base with reality if they lack understanding because they are referencing a similar experience and resulting emotion or if they have nothing to reference they are imagining how they would feel. I will also sometimes get angry or sad on the behalf of others when they are not even upset. This is because, again, with Fi, I am thinking about how that would make me feel. A certain situation might make me feel these things but the person experiencing it might not even be upset. In other words, I use Fi and filter the events through my own value system. If the events seemed wrong according to my values, I would expect it to evoke a negative emotion in someone else. Even as I've come to understand that this isn't always the case and I should check before deciding the other person feels the same way I would, actions that I deem to be "bad" based on my own value system, can still upset me even if they are happening to someone else.

As far as empathy goes, it's kind of hard to say. I mean, any person can be empathetic, regardless of their type. Maybe both Fi and Fe users are empathetic but they just get there in different ways?

Oh, haha, I just saw that had already been said. oops.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
The difference between Fe and Fi is that Fe judge people based on their actions while Fi judge people based on the intentions behind their actions.

If an Fe type sees someone steal for example, they will immediately judge and condemn that person because according to an Fe type what that person did is inappropriate whereas the Fi type will try to figure out the intentions behind their actions and they will think to themselves, "Why did that person steal? Is it because they have some financial difficulty and they resort to stealing out of desperation?"

Both Fe and Fi will find stealing inappropriate, but the Fe type will judge and condemn that person immediately whereas the Fi type will take the time to think about that person's actions and figure out why that person resort to stealing.

I'm an INFJ and the bolded is very accurate for me. Action always trumps, I am quick to make judgements. I may not always share these judgements, but they do formulate and crystallise and get 'noted'. I do relate to some of the Fi traits, and I will eventually come around to considering the intent or 'spirit' behind an action, but it's something that happens after some time, long after I've made my initial judgement, which still stands.

I'm pretty new to all of this myself, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Ok, so, I value respect for all people and I strongly dislike when people cheat. I think it goes beyond disrespect. However, I would never say that I strongly dislike people who cheat. I would say I strongly dislike WHEN people cheat. Part of showing respect to all people is not judging them as completely useless or bad when they make mistakes. In the scenario, I would likely feel really bad for the person who got cheated on because I would be using Fi and relating that back to when I had been cheated on and how that made me feel. BUT, I would also feel bad for the cheater that everyone was yelling at because I would relate that back to times when I did something wrong and everyone made me feel judged and disliked.

I've noticed the bolded is very true of my IXFP friends. Fi seems more sophisticated in the realm of ethics, whereas Fe is reluctant or unable to compartmentalise, which is why the Fe judgement has a wholesale, holistic aspect to it. Also why INFJs are strongly connected to doorslamming.

Yes, I can slip on the Fi and come to understand intent and reasoning behind an action, but the question still remains, "If a person isn't their actions, then what is a person?" But I ask that as an Fe-user who cannot cleave a being from their actions. And I consider my actions more important than my word, which is already bond to me. I guess it comes down to character and really knowing someone: if you can't trust someone's actions, then what?

Dox

MBTI Type
????
Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread. I really appreciate it. :)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed the bolded is very true of my IXFP friends. Fi seems more sophisticated in the realm of ethics, whereas Fe is reluctant or unable to compartmentalise, which is why the Fe judgement has a wholesale, holistic aspect to it. Also why INFJs are strongly connected to doorslamming.

Yes, I can slip on the Fi and come to understand intent and reasoning behind an action, but the question still remains, "If a person isn't their actions, then what is a person?" But I ask that as an Fe-user who cannot cleave a being from their actions. And I consider my actions more important than my word, which is already bond to me. I guess it comes down to character and really knowing someone: if you can't trust someone's actions, then what?

I agree with 97% of this, but "doorslamming" seems less connected to any one MBTI type.

gromit

likes this
It's really simple.

• If you are selfish and whiny and only think about the things YOU care about, you use Fi.
  • If you are rigid and try to enforce group agenda on dissenters, you use Fe.

wolfy

awsm
It's really simple.

• If you are selfish and whiny and only think about the things YOU care about, you use Fi.
  • If you are rigid and try to enforce group agenda on dissenters, you use Fe.

OMG, so much wizdom

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's really simple.

• If you are selfish and whiny and only think about the things YOU care about, you misuse Fi.
  • If you are rigid and try to enforce group agenda on dissenters, you misuse Fe.
Fixed that for ya.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
You sound like me! I'm definitely Fi, but I can't really say that's true for you, because I don't have enough information. :)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You seem Fe>Fi to me but that's just my $0.02 from the posts of yours I've read in this thread. :shrug: I could see TP or FJ though (minus STPs).

Dox

MBTI Type
????
You sound like me! I'm definitely Fi, but I can't really say that's true for you, because I don't have enough information. :)

I sound like a lot of people. Wonder why. Stahp.

- - - Updated - - -

You seem Fe>Fi to me but that's just my $0.02 from the posts of yours I've read in this thread. :shrug: I could see TP or FJ though (minus STPs).

*cries and gives up on MBTI*
Thanks for your insights anyway.

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe you use both a lot! Maybe you are some sort of badass feelings machine! I (think? ha) know that you don't use Fi and Fe together, but that doesn't mean that you can't use both of them a lot, does it? I took a bunch of those functions tests and every single one of them said I use Fi first and Fe second. I don't know how accurate that is, but that's what they said.

I think you might step back from functions as separate things, and look at the overall profiles of the types you think you might be, since the functions all work together anyways. Aside from that, I feel like MBTI is not this big definite, but rather a tool for learning more about myself and others. This thread made me think and I definitely learned from it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe you use both a lot! Maybe you are some sort of badass feelings machine! I (think? ha) know that you don't use Fi and Fe together, but that doesn't mean that you can't use both of them a lot, does it? I took a bunch of those functions tests and every single one of them said I use Fi first and Fe second. I don't know how accurate that is, but that's what they said.

I think you might step back from functions as separate things, and look at the overall profiles of the types you think you might be, since the functions all work together anyways. Aside from that, I feel like MBTI is not this big definite, but rather a tool for learning more about myself and others. This thread made me think and I definitely learned from it.

I think there may be something to this.

The Jungian functions are too fluid and dynamic to fit into a rigid 16 type system. It's too "either/or" and it results in more confusion than clarity, as can be seen in this and countless similar threads.