User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4x3

Default Why do people care so much about other people being mistyped?

Serious question. I honestly do not understand why people care. It's one thing to try to help people see their type in an open, curious, helpful manner and to point out things here and there...it's another thing to seriously freak out if people seem mistyped, to make whole threads about it and to constantly complain. It seems like it has more to do with being insecure than it does about exploring typology.

Or maybe it's an age thing? Are people here very young? I don't mean that to sound condescending, it just seems very high-school-cafeteria to get so upset about an issue of someone else's self-identity.

Honest question for the forum: If you're someone who gets very triggered, frustrated, angry, or over-focused on others' mistyping...why?????

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Categorizing people and connecting to it for personal identity appeals to people because most want to be understood and want feel a connection to others who are similar, so when their category doesn't represent them it can upset or hurt them. If they feel they identify with the theory of the category, but when other people identify with that same category and behave differently, they can feel it reflects on them poorly or it increases feelings of being misunderstood. Some (more often T's) respond by getting very rigid about categories, when the underlying system itself can also be too limited to account for all the fundamental behaviors and impulses in people. Getting more rigid about boundaries doesn't necessarily solve the problem when the system itself is subjective and imperfect. To hammer the issue with too much rigor can imply the individual has control issues.

I dislike categories of all types because they serve the purpose of creating a lower resolution of reality. Yes, that is necessary for dealing with large amounts of data, but on the personal level it has limited use and can distort reality in this way:.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)
    Likes N/A, four, Totenkindly, Z Buck McFate liked this post

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by fia
    If they feel they identify with the theory of the category, but when other people identify with that same category and behave differently, they can feel it reflects on them poorly or it increases feelings of being misunderstood.
    Yes, this is an annoying thing to experience, to say the least.

To hammer the issue with too much rigor can imply the individual has control issues.
    Indeed. It may be compensating for a feeling that one lacks self-control or control of the world around them. The rigidity is an attempt to cope with this that usually doesn't work that well.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes labyrinthine liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4x3

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Categorizing people and connecting to it for personal identity appeals to people because most want to be understood and want feel a connection to others who are similar, so when their category doesn't represent them it can upset or hurt them. If they feel they identify with the theory of the category, but when other people identify with that same category and behave differently, they can feel it reflects on them poorly or it increases feelings of being misunderstood. Some (more often T's) respond by getting very rigid about categories, when the underlying system itself can also be too limited to account for all the fundamental behaviors and impulses in people. Getting more rigid about boundaries doesn't necessarily solve the problem when the system itself is subjective and imperfect. To hammer the issue with too much rigor can imply the individual has control issues.

I dislike categories of all types because they serve the purpose of creating a lower resolution of reality. Yes, that is necessary for dealing with large amounts of data, but on the personal level it has limited use and can distort reality in this way:.
    Thank you for answering my question so thoughtfully. I think you're right; to see people "mistyped" makes people confused about themselves. So other people's types become about them. I have a sense that this has to do with a sort of adolescent developmental stage. I'm really not trying to be patronizing here, but it makes sense that young people (or immature adults) who are trying to "find themselves" would be threatened by others in this way. Everyone else's type becomes about them. It's weird.

I don't relate at all to this aspect of "typology subculture" so to speak. I find the psychology interesting and the types useful, even though they are imperfect and limited. For example, I know I am not a type six, but I identify with a lot of it, I get a lot out of reading about the type and trying to figure out why so many sixes are in my life and trying to figure out why it speaks to me so much. It must be stressful to think the types are static and perfect and to feel like one has to argue constantly about them as if they are scientific ideas like gravity or evolution. If one looks at the types that way, then no wonder there's so much freaking out.
    Likes labyrinthine liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

I think part of the reason is that people tend to over-estimate their own capabilities.

People come on this site, knowing little about typology, and they then attempt to soak up whatever information they can as quickly as possible. As most of the easily available information online is basically stereotypical surface level garbage, that is what usually translates.

Armed with a rudimentary understanding of typology, but not knowing how basic and narrow it really is, people then set out to find a way to justify all the time they spent- they want credit for their work, to prove their understanding. So they throw out their understanding of type, ESTJ's are bossy, you are not bossy so you cannot be an ESTJ for this this and this reason-half-assed shallow 'fact' after 'fact', trying to prove that they really are . Most people can only use as much knowledge as they have, few are able to really theorize accurately fo themselves.

And I am sure part of the reason is that when someone gets comfortable with the idea(particularly if it is their own) of a type, and then someone comes who doesn't exactly jive-could start to feel like a threat, and the person goes on the offensive. A one of these things is not like the other scenario, and the one needs to be cast out to retain absolute homogeneity.

Not sure if that should be necessarily discouraged, as I would think that it would lead to improved understanding(ie:learning from experience/trial and error. And it isn't like it never has merit.) Just seems to be part of the reason it could happen.

Not that there aren't mistypes, because there surely are.
    Likes four, BadOctopus liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4x3

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Not sure if that should be necessarily discouraged, as I would think that it would lead to improved understanding(ie:learning from experience/trial and error. And it isn't like it never has merit.) Just seems to be part of the reason it could happen.

Not that there aren't mistypes, because there surely are.
    Yeah. I mean, it doesn't have to be discouraged persay, but it will almost always seem egotistical and adolescent to care so much about what or who another person "is" when you don't even know them. To argue with another person literally about what they "are". There's an argument to be made that this is a really negative thing for society. To be so forceful about other people's identities. But whatever helps one sleep at night, I guess...

I agree that people get upset when others with the same type as them behave differently than they do. I think this creates a weird self-regulating sort of homogony, so that some people are actively monitoring what they say so they appear more like the stereotype of their type, in order to appease others and not have their "identities" questioned.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

personally, I think it's up to the person in question to decide what type they are since they know themselves way better than any internet person could... sites like this should just offer the tools that they need to more easily assess themselves

however, there's always some smarmy little know-it-all who HAS to make sure that everyone's cut into the correct shapes to fit into their appropriate little boxes... either to prove that they're the smartest and know more than anyone else does about typology or because they're some sort of control freak

and like @hel mentioned, there's some sort of obsession with intratype consistency, as in "maybe if they behave that way and I behave this way it means that I'm not the same type... but I CAN'T be wrong! I spent so much time taking those quizzes so I guess I'll call them out like we're in salem town hall or something..."

personally, it's one of the major factors as to why I don't have a type down in my profile... I don't feel like I should have to waste my time with people who stick their noses where they don't belong
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by four View Post
    Yeah. I mean, it doesn't have to be discouraged persay, but it will almost always seem egotistical and adolescent to care so much about what or who another person "is" when you don't even know them. To argue with another person literally about what they "are". There's an argument to be made that this is a really negative thing for society. To be so forceful about other people's identities. But whatever helps one sleep at night, I guess...
    Right, I don't really see the point in going out of your way to deconstruct someones idea of their type- unless you ask for it. It doesn't necessarily seem like an issue to me if someone points out that hey, you MIGHT be an ISFP because you show this, or have you looked into the ENFP profile- it is a typology forum, so people will have their opinions, and I think should be able to share them. But there is a difference between suggesting and telling, and telling someone that they are or are not this-no further discussion, irritates me.

But actually, on this forum, most people seem pretty good about not being overly forceful about their opinions. For the most part I have found, that it is relatively few who will openly start a discussion on an individuals type outside of a few set threads.

This is pretty much what you stated though, but I don't know- sometimes one persons definition of forceful is different than anothers. People like to share what they think, for whatever reasons and mo matter how potentially misinformed, but I can see why there would be frusteration on either side.
    Likes four, themightyfetus liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post

But actually, on this forum, most people seem pretty good about not being overly forceful about their opinions. For the most part I have found, that it is relatively few who will openly start a discussion on an individuals type outside of a few set threads.
    ^^^^^
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so