• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP or INFP

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi! I'm new here, so I thought it would be fitting that my first post would be figuring out my own type. Now, I know I'm a Ne user and a Fi user, I'm just unsure about the order.

I could write some things about myself, if that would be helpful. Or maybe anyone has some questions that would be helpful for me to consider, or in case anyone want to help me!

Thanks.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you were to fill out one of the questionnaires (from the "Questionnaire Compilation Thread") it would give people more information to type you.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Hi! I'm new here, so I thought it would be fitting that my first post would be figuring out my own type. Now, I know I'm a Ne user and a Fi user, I'm just unsure about the order.

I could write some things about myself, if that would be helpful. Or maybe anyone has some questions that would be helpful for me to consider, or in case anyone want to help me!

Thanks.

Yes, please fill out a questionnaire! It would provide some insight for us. I'm also in the ENFP/INFP boat--though based on the responses I've gotten here, I'm more of an INFP.

What's your Enneagram? Sometimes that can help when trying to find MBTI, because there are certain likely correlations.

Welcome to the forum! :D

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ

Thanks.

Yes, I think you ought to write out a bity more. I just read the 20 facts thread, and you were there as well, expressing type confusion. My impression based on your responses was ENFP, but I think some more info would be helpful.

An old rule of thumb is that if you're wondering which NFP you are, you're usually an ENFP. It's not always true, it's just a tendency.

I'm not sure exactly why this is the case, but it seems to be that ENFP's are much more likely to feel introverted or at least ambiverted. Since an ENFP's dominant extraverted function (Ne) focuses on abstract/intangible things, it often doesn't look like or feel like an extraverted function.

Even so, if you're an ENFP you're usually pretty hyper-verbal--especially about your dreams and ideas. INFP's are definitely more grounded in their feelings, and slower to warm up to new people.

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for all the responses! It seems like such a fun forum witha lot of interesting people. As for my enneagram I have only taken a test once, so I should really look into it more! I saw some others filling out this one, so maybe this is useful. I hope they made sense, I figured if I did them quickly and let every answer be what I first thought about they'd be the most truthful!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I think it's the Fi part that makes me unsure because I can't understand how much of a roll it has played in my life. Meanwhile Ne has been something I've been aware of that being a part of who I am before I even knew what MBTI was, if that makes sense. And like you said, Forever_Jung, the introversion/extroversion has also played a part in my confusion. I find the differences between the two interesting, but I cannot place me in either one of them. I do get energy by being around people, but it can also become overwhelming. I do fine alone, as long as I have something to keep me accupied or else I get bored and lonely and just want some human contact.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Happiness, being happy and making others happy in return. Anything that inspires me, most things do! I get really bored if I don't get to do creative things. So although I enjoy my job a lot, I hate that it leaves so little time for me to create things since what I really want to do is writing and filming and even photography. I also wants to create because I get so frusterated with media and how little diversity it is and how much better it could be.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

Oy! Probably now or when I was little. When I've been happy. I'm 19 now and 15-17 was just not good... Once I got out of school it was a lot better. Although school had some good things too like I got some great friends who were like me in many ways. I've never had trouble finding friends, but a lot of them have been bored about what excites me and if something gets me exciting I will talk about it. A lot. Also while I was growing up I went to summer camp every summer (ages 10-16 I think) and that just made me so carefree and I like that version of me. That also happens when I'm out of town. I love Stockholm and living in a big city but I don't like the day-to-day life and when things are the same all the time.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Whenever I feel anxious or sad. I was depressed a lot in highschool and everything with that came back to self-loathing and insecurities and not so fun stuff like that. Or when I hurt someone elses feelings, I do hate that a lot. I really don't know what to say here, guys haha.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

Oh decisions? Yesterday I took a picture of birthday cards and sent to a friend so they could decide because I just couldn't. "But the green has butterflies... oh the purple is so fancy" etc. However when they then said "take the blue one" I went "Nah I'm taking the purple one." However when I went to highschool (grades 10-12 here in Sweden) I knew right away when I saw their catalog. I was just like "there is where I need to spend my next three years". And that was a pretty big decision.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

Yes! Especially if I'm excited about it. Hopefully someone else is excited too, because I don't need to have all of the control, but I definitely need a say about it. But I'm interested in what other people think too and what they want to come from it.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I had a lot of fn yesterday when my friend had a birthday party. I had a bad headache though, but it was still a lot of fun because there were a lot of friends I haven't seen in a while and good food and I don't need much else!

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?

Jumping right to it, but I can be insecure about doing it right so hopefully someone there I can ask if I'm doing it right.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?

*Looks around room* Oh. Not very. But I'm getting better, because I'm starting to understand what kinds of rules and structures I need to make my life work.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

This was a hard one. I'm not sure, I think I'm trying to understand the idea and try to be optimistic about it and make it even better. This is not even the question, I am so sorry!

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Can't it be both? I do need to be myself, and I'm not good at playing games so that happens naturally I think. I think it's important that everyone belongs, and in return that they feel free to be who they are.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Sometimes I speak before thinking, then I usually realize it in the middle of the sentence like "wow probably shouldn't have started this but here we are... oh well let's just continue and see if we can make this less awful".
I think mostly I enjoy one-on-one, because in my family there's this "king of the hill" going on. You make sure to fight until the word is your and you don't even stop talking to take a breath, because if you do, someone else will start talking and you don't know if you'll ever get a chance to continue. And I gotta tell ya, it's hard to get your point across that way with everyone interuppting each other! Although if it's more peaceful, I do love group discussions, because there are more opinions around. Like in school when we had discussions, they could be a lot of fun and interesting.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

Like I said in a question before, I do rather jump in and learn as I go. Actions probably do speak louder than words, but I do need people to talk to me to say what they think or feel even if they are showing it by their actions. I'm needy
okay.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I do rather spend the evenings with friends. And I don't really watch tv, I watch the shows on my computer when I have time so it can definitely wait.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

Well yesterday my friend told me "you swear a lot when you're stressed out, don't you?" so there's that. I'm probably very rude and hurtful so I try not to talk to people until I've pulled myself together. I probably cry too. I don't handle stress well at all.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

It's actually rare for me to dislike people and if I do it's usually their morals I have trouble getting past. Even then, I'll try to give them the benefit of the doubt with the exception for bigotry. Othervise I guess dishonesty and gossiping are
things I have a problem with.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I love talking social justice, which I'm passionate about and can get emotional about. I love talking about identity and gender, sexuality and things like that. Film and television - both about how amazed I am by clever writing and character development and how disappointed I am when the show/character/couple had SO MUCH POTENTIAL!

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?

Oh. If I pay the least attention to it I doubt I'll even figure about what it is I'm missing to be honest, haha. Umm but I'm a time optimist, often late. I have horrible sense of direction it's a wonder I even know where I live. I don't know what to tell you, honestly.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

This was probably the hardest question. I'm not sure how they percieve me. They'd probably say about me not being good at being on time, bad sense of direction, can't pay attention to something for too long and all of that would be correct! Also that I'm overdramatic about things, such as my friend leaving for a year to live in America and she says I act as if she's leaving forever. I can't think of much that my friends think that is untrue. When I was younger I'd often get that I was cheerful and "always happy" and things like that although I was in a really bad place, so there's that. I'm not sure what they would never say about my personality probably that I have a good attention span? Hahaha.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Well now that I work fulltime, I really try to put my freetime to good use. I'd want to be outside if there was nice weather and be with my closest friends. I'd want to bring my camera and make films or take pictures. I would want to go to concerts, a zoo or an amusement park or just somewhere fun. And eat someplace with really good food.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=24092]Evelina[/MENTION] I have some additional questions for you. Please elaborate in your answers.

I do get energy by being around people, but it can also become overwhelming.
Please say more about how it is overwhelming.

I've never had trouble finding friends, but a lot of them have been bored about what excites me and if something gets me exciting I will talk about it.
Tell us about these topics.

However when I went to highschool (grades 10-12 here in Sweden) I knew right away when I saw their catalog. I was just like "there is where I need to spend my next three years". And that was a pretty big decision.
What did you see in the catalog that made your decision?

What do you write about?

How do you prefer to spend your time when you need to recharge? Do you prefer to recharge on your own, or with other people?

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure thing, hope this makes it clearer! Thanks [MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION]

It can be overwhelming if there's a lot of people for a longer amount of time. At my job, since I see people all the time so when I take my break I'm usually relieved if I'm alone in the staff's break room so I can have some silence. Although some of the people I know better there, and that put me to ease. But when there are people there I don't know well, I just am not sure how to act... Or at family gatherings. Don't get me wrong, I love them. But especially around Christmas there are alot of them because of my family being very seperated that I can get exhausted after being around that many people day in and day out.

The topics that excites me? Often tv shows, or my favorite actors and singers, politics, feminism, gender and sexuality, LGBTQ+ rights (and often relating that into media), lately a lot about mbti and how people work. Arts, funny stories I've read on the internet maybe.

Well, we went to a thing where there are a lot of people gathering to show the schools. When I talked to the people for that school it was first the fact that the school was especially for media production. They had a program that was arts and media, where I could specify in film and tv production which is what I really wanted and I think needed to get me through the last years. I got excited about school again because of the idea I could do what I loved (at that time especially video editing) and it would be education for something I could do in the future. I thought it would be something I could be good at, and I rarely felt like that. I just knew I needed to be there!

I write stories. Often scripts, because I wish to make something of it oe day! Sometimes just novels or short stories I write because I can. I love to create characters. Just creating people, that don't exist but they could exist, because they're realistic. Like they can be things I am, but I wish I wasn't. Things I wish I was and I admire in other people! Their backstories and character develpment. Or they're a minority that I don't think is represented enough in media and I feel are needed in the world. So I hope that one day, I can share my stories and characters with the world.

Both works. Lately I've been longing for people a lot more than I have before. But if I'm recharging I'm usually still talking to people over the internet I guess. Also watches movies or tv shows and I can do that with other people as well as I can do it alone. I mostly think it's that when there are a lot of people at the same time and I'm not sure what they expect from me, that's when I get overwhelmed.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
Here is my assessment of your type so far.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

Oh decisions? Yesterday I took a picture of birthday cards and sent to a friend so they could decide because I just couldn't. "But the green has butterflies... oh the purple is so fancy" etc. However when they then said "take the blue one" I went "Nah I'm taking the purple one." However when I went to highschool (grades 10-12 here in Sweden) I knew right away when I saw their catalog. I was just like "there is where I need to spend my next three years". And that was a pretty big decision.
Seems NP.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?

Jumping right to it, but I can be insecure about doing it right so hopefully someone there I can ask if I'm doing it right.
Seems FP.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?

*Looks around room* Oh. Not very. But I'm getting better, because I'm starting to understand what kinds of rules and structures I need to make my life work.
Seems P.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Can't it be both? I do need to be myself, and I'm not good at playing games so that happens naturally I think. I think it's important that everyone belongs, and in return that they feel free to be who they are.
Seems FP.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Sometimes I speak before thinking, then I usually realize it in the middle of the sentence like "wow probably shouldn't have started this but here we are... oh well let's just continue and see if we can make this less awful".
I think mostly I enjoy one-on-one, because in my family there's this "king of the hill" going on. You make sure to fight until the word is your and you don't even stop talking to take a breath, because if you do, someone else will start talking and you don't know if you'll ever get a chance to continue. And I gotta tell ya, it's hard to get your point across that way with everyone interuppting each other! Although if it's more peaceful, I do love group discussions, because there are more opinions around. Like in school when we had discussions, they could be a lot of fun and interesting.
Seems NP.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I love talking social justice, which I'm passionate about and can get emotional about. I love talking about identity and gender, sexuality and things like that. Film and television - both about how amazed I am by clever writing and character development and how disappointed I am when the show/character/couple had SO MUCH POTENTIAL!
Seems FP.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

This was probably the hardest question. I'm not sure how they percieve me. They'd probably say about me not being good at being on time, bad sense of direction, can't pay attention to something for too long and all of that would be correct! Also that I'm overdramatic about things, such as my friend leaving for a year to live in America and she says I act as if she's leaving forever. I can't think of much that my friends think that is untrue. When I was younger I'd often get that I was cheerful and "always happy" and things like that although I was in a really bad place, so there's that. I'm not sure what they would never say about my personality probably that I have a good attention span? Hahaha.
Seems NP or SP.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Well now that I work fulltime, I really try to put my freetime to good use. I'd want to be outside if there was nice weather and be with my closest friends. I'd want to bring my camera and make films or take pictures. I would want to go to concerts, a zoo or an amusement park or just somewhere fun. And eat someplace with really good food.
Seems E, and seems S.

The topics that excites me? Often tv shows, or my favorite actors and singers, politics, feminism, gender and sexuality, LGBTQ+ rights (and often relating that into media), lately a lot about mbti and how people work. Arts, funny stories I've read on the internet maybe.
Could be N.

I'm very sure about you being FP, the N or S is a bit hazy, and you seem to lean towards E from your responses.

Here's an S vs N question for you.
Which would you prefer. New experiences or new ideas? Please elaborate.

Your answer for the recharging question doesn't make your E or I preference clear. Here's the question again with some restrictions.
If you were feeling drained and needed to recharge, which of the following two options would you prefer? Note that you would have to spend the entire recharging time using only one of the options.
  • Spending time with people of your choice, engaging in an activity of your choice.
  • Spending time by yourself, engaging in an activity of your choice.

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could tell on the last question (regarding what activities I'd choose on a whole day to do whatever I want) that response was very Se. But it was in all honesty what I could think of because I feel like I don't see my friends enough. As for the S vs. N question I definitely prefer ideas above experience, and the experience I do like (such as traveling and concerts) I usually turn it into something that inspires new ideas. Not to mention that experience like that don't feel like they come naturally in the same way ideas do. I've been meaning to go to the amusement park with my friends for three years. Ideas however is something I work on a daily basis, I get kicks out of it. And I wouldn't say I do that as much of experience. I went skydiving last year. I was proud of myself for doing it and it was really cool. But I did not get a kick out of that as much as I do when brainstorming ideas for "just" a shortfilm. And each idea I'm hoping that maybe, maybe this will actually turn into something. It usually doesn't as I have a lot of other ideas that I think could be just as wonderful. Especially when I'm with my best friend, we can talk ideas forever, and it's pretty much all our texting conversations. "What do you think about this? This? No? If you don't like that here's another one!"

As for the E vs. I question, I find it very hard to decide which. I myself think I lean more towards E, but then I get unsure. I think I'd choose option one, but there are probably times where option two would sound a lot more appealing! I know this doesn't make it any more clear, and I'm sorry. I don't think I'd ever turn down being around my family or my closest friends even when I need to recharge and be away from people, because I'd prefer their company. But sometimes a night with just me is really good because I love the silence and just being alone, and it would make me appreciate the company of others a lot more afterwards.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
You probably aren't a caricature of type, study each tenant with equal fervor, and so on

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
I could tell on the last question (regarding what activities I'd choose on a whole day to do whatever I want) that response was very Se. But it was in all honesty what I could think of because I feel like I don't see my friends enough. As for the S vs. N question I definitely prefer ideas above experience, and the experience I do like (such as traveling and concerts) I usually turn it into something that inspires new ideas. Not to mention that experience like that don't feel like they come naturally in the same way ideas do. I've been meaning to go to the amusement park with my friends for three years. Ideas however is something I work on a daily basis, I get kicks out of it. And I wouldn't say I do that as much of experience. I went skydiving last year. I was proud of myself for doing it and it was really cool. But I did not get a kick out of that as much as I do when brainstorming ideas for "just" a shortfilm. And each idea I'm hoping that maybe, maybe this will actually turn into something. It usually doesn't as I have a lot of other ideas that I think could be just as wonderful. Especially when I'm with my best friend, we can talk ideas forever, and it's pretty much all our texting conversations. "What do you think about this? This? No? If you don't like that here's another one!"
This seems very N. So I think NFP is right for your type.

As for the E vs. I question, I find it very hard to decide which. I myself think I lean more towards E, but then I get unsure. I think I'd choose option one, but there are probably times where option two would sound a lot more appealing! I know this doesn't make it any more clear, and I'm sorry. I don't think I'd ever turn down being around my family or my closest friends even when I need to recharge and be away from people, because I'd prefer their company. But sometimes a night with just me is really good because I love the silence and just being alone, and it would make me appreciate the company of others a lot more afterwards.
The bolded suggests that you would always choose to be with family or closest friends when you need to recharge, over being by yourself. Is this true? If not, then under what conditions would you give up being with loved ones so that you could recharge alone? Assume only that you are drained and need recharging and that you do not know why you are drained.

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=24643]Frosty6226[/MENTION] I'm curious though. Do you think so because I'm more of an introvert, or that my Fi dominates my Ne?

[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] It means that if a friend or family member says "let's hang out" or "let's go to dinner" I will say yes even though I feel drained because it does make me feel better. However if I feel drained I do not always seek up people to be around so I do often end up alone and I don't necessarily mind it but I will still think about it being nice to be around someone. So there's my confusion I suppose.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] It means that if a friend or family member says "let's hang out" or "let's go to dinner" I will say yes even though I feel drained because it does make me feel better. However if I feel drained I do not always seek up people to be around so I do often end up alone and I don't necessarily mind it but I will still think about it being nice to be around someone. So there's my confusion I suppose.

Ok, I guess I'm going to have to put more restrictions on the scenario.

Here's the scenario:
You are feeling drained. Note that I have not specified how you came to be drained. You only know that you are drained, you do not know if it was caused by being around people or caused by being alone or by anything else.
Now you are given two options to recharge yourself. You must choose one of these options for the whole recharging period. This means that you cannot start with one option and then switch midway to the other option.
The choice of the option is to be made by you and you alone, before you start your recharging. You do not get advice or suggestions from your friends or family.

Here are the two options, which one do you choose?

Option 1. You spend your recharging time with one or more of your friends or family members. You may pick any number of friends or family members, but you obviously must pick at least one. You will spend the time with the friends or family members engaged in any activity of your choosing.

Option 2. You spend your recharging time by yourself. You will spend the time alone engaged in any activity of your choosing.

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] I'm sorry that I keep twisting it, I don't mean to be that way! But between the two options, option 1. I do prefer spending that time with someone.

But sometimes I find it hard to reach out to people, and then I don't see that as much of an option. (This is not me switching to the other answer by the way. It is just a side note!)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
If that's you in the photo, and using your comments in this thread as an indicator, ENFP.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] I'm sorry that I keep twisting it, I don't mean to be that way! But between the two options, option 1. I do prefer spending that time with someone.

But sometimes I find it hard to reach out to people, and then I don't see that as much of an option. (This is not me switching to the other answer by the way. It is just a side note!)
Ok, I think I understand why you are confused. You may be thinking you have to be able to put up with people all the time, but even extraverts are allowed some time off. Also this does not affect your preference for the way you recharge yourself when feeling drained. So based on your picking option 1, I am going to say that you have an E preference. I am officially christening you as ENFP. :)

Starry

She does look like [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION], if that is her in her avatar.

haha she does and I didn't even make that connection. I did, however, trip-out on how much she looked like my old ESFJ supervisor...