• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing help appreciated

TexanType

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Okay, so I would like some help determining my MBTI!

When I take tests online, I get INFP or ISFP. I'm a 6w5 sp. Here, have a questionnaire :eek:

Personal concepts
1. What is beauty? What is love?
>> True beauty comes from the heart. It is joyous, pure, unaltered, stemming from raw emotion or fearlessness. It is a plant thrusting its way through the cracks of pavement in some inner city, when there's nothing green around it for miles. It is a homeless person who gives his change to a kid who can't afford the ice cream they wanted to buy. It is a person that could hide their blemishes or faults with makeup, but they choose not to. It's in the tears on someone's face when they're moved by a piece of music or a story. Love is much the same. Not to get all biblical on anybody, but I do believe that love is patient, and kind, and unselfish. Love sets aside all differences. Love is forgiveness, love is knowing when to let go. Love is a kind word, love is not judging unjustly. Love is universal.

2. What are your most important values?
>> Honesty, living a good life and being true to myself. As a 6w5 I am all about some self security, protecting myself and my own and being independent doing it, but at the same time I understand that embracing my fear will not help me enjoy life, it'll just allow me to live it. So knowing when to take a risk is important and enjoying every breath I take is important. Being open to expanding myself, to changing, is my greatest challenge and my greatest exhilaration. Never, ever being fake if I can help it, and righting any wrongs I've done.

3. Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
>>Yes. I consider myself spiritual, non religious. The why? Because accounts of ghosts, mediums, near-death experiences, out-of-body experiences and other paranormal phenomena fascinate me and when examined through the lens of science and careful thought they make the most sense. Work done by organizations like the International Academy of Consciousness give me hope that our minds, such as they are, can and do survive material death. I've read many books on meditation and out of body techniques in the hopes of having an experience, myself, and confirming some of what I've read about. No success yet, but I prefer to be open-minded. The thought of a material and oblivion-inducing death is horrifying and repugnant to me and I don't wish to expand on that further.

4. Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
>> Power, to me, is the ability to do great harm or great good with little or no repercussion. I think it's sad that we need a military but at the same time, as a defensive measure, I can see its necessity. Any war that isn't fought to protect or empower a wrongfully oppressed people is a waste of resources and of human life. Though we have different cultures and different systems of belief, we all still need and desire the same basic things. A home. A family, or friends. The means to feed and clothe ourselves. The right to worship or not worship, and to love or not to love whomever we're guided to. Going to war over things like money or hatred of another group of people or politics, I just cannot wrap my head around it. It's awful.

Interests
5. What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
>> I love anything that engages my emotions or my senses. I'm just as comfortable curled up with a novel for a few hours as I am sweating along some hiking trail hoping to see and not get injured by wildlife. I enjoy most things which can be done under my own power, without having to rely too much on other people. One, because I hate being a burden or owing others, and two, life feels a lot more enjoyable when I can claim my achievements as truly my own. I'm only a homebody because I take care of two disabled family members and my resources are extremely limited, not because that's how I want to live. If I could go out into the woods and study a family of marmots or learn how to guide people up mountains, I would be over the moon. But I love and am loyal to the few people in my life who are important to me, so I do what I have to. I really enjoy long conversations about books I've read, personal anecdotes, spirituality, animals. Whatever I have a reasonable amount of knowledge on, I will happily talk about. I tend to be reserved at first but I wear my heart on my sleeve and it's not hard to get me going on some subject or another.

6. Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
>> Definitely, re: health. I didn't used to really pay attention to or care about my body because of low confidence in myself, but that's really started turning around. While I am currently overweight, I am trying to better my habits and get more involved in different physical activities I find enjoyable. I don't believe in fast fixes or crazy diets and cleanses when it comes to weight loss nor am I totally obsessed with numbers. As long as I'm active, eating clean and having fun, I can be happy with myself and my body will catch up. I am not, however, really focused on fashion or being stylish to please other people. I don't follow the 'in' looks and I can be just as comfortable wearing baggy jeans and a t-shirt from some years-old event as I can be dressed in nice slacks and a blouse. I don't wear makeup and while I don't think I've ever worn anything crazy enough to warrant getting me submitted to People at Walmart, I have gone out willingly in what I knew was a fashion faux pas. I'm a lot more sensitive about hygiene than I am the clothes on my back, because my clothes are about function first and looking pretty second at all times.

7. What do you think of daily chores?
>> I'm fine with them. I'll put them off a lot of the time if there's something more fun I'd like to do (like answering these questions ha!) but nobody cleans like me ten minutes before I know company's coming over.

8. Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
>> Movies and TV: K-pax, Secondhand Lions, Interstellar, Extraterrestrial, Ong Bak, Book of Life, Lion King, How to Train Your Dragon, James Cameron's Avatar, Warm Bodies, Grimm, Avatar the Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, The Flash, A.L.F., Perfect Strangers, The Muppets, Paranormal Witness

Books: Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs, Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, Xanth series by Piers Anthony, Redwall series by Brian Jacques, Watership Down and Tales from Watership Down by Richard Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams, His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman, Chronicles of Narnia series by CS Lewis, Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke, Dark Reflections series by Kai Meyer, Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (NOT her son Todd), Mage Wars series by Mercedes Lackey, 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, any scientific papers or books on animal behavior and personality

The above are just a sample and sorely lacking, it's just what came off the top of my head.

9. What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
>> It's not hard to make me cry. I'm a very sensitive person and open about my emotions, so when something moves me or upsets me enough, there go the waterworks. Most recent example, a song by Train called Bulletproof Picasso was particularly moving to me and made me tear up. Also heard a story about a guy and his daughter who were homeless, and this group that raises awareness for the plight of the homeless and helps them gave his daughter an Easter basket and gave him a car, so he could drive to go to school and work. I have a hard time singing lullabies to my little girl because I get choked up with emotion, just so much love for her. What makes me smile? Acts of kindness. Baby animals. Funny videos online. A beautiful day. Couples doing cute things like holding hands in public. Singing and dancing flash mobs. People asking me to smile.

10. Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
>> I feel most at one when I am in nature, with no sound and no thoughts. Nothing I have to go do at home, no fear, no big rush to be anywhere. Or when I'm getting ready for bed, my kiddo's already long asleep and I'm just in my bed feeling thankful for the roof over my head and the day I've had and the day I'll have the next day. When I feel safe and at peace and timeless.

Evaluation & Behaviour

11. What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
>> Weaknesses! My temper. When I get upset over stuff, and it can be big stuff or little stuff, I can get stupendously angry. My mom once said I'm like a volcano, quiet and grumbling over time but then without warning I explode and it takes me a while to stop bubbling over. All that toxicity and heat and emotion has to come out til it's spent. Another weakness, inability to commit. I change my mind so frequently about what I want to do and how I want to be, it can be confusing even for people who know me well. When I have to be there for someone I will, don't get me wrong (I don't trust or get close to many people so I will not betray or fail on my friends and family who need me) but I don't enjoy having to commit my time to someone else and not have it open for other things I might like better.

12. What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
>> Strengths. My loyalty. My friends and family know that even if it annoys me or interrupts my day, I will be there for them no matter what. I am honest and will always keep in confidence what someone has shared with me if they ask me to. My value system, my personal code of ethics, is hugely important to me and I try hard to be a good person (I often type as a 1w9 if not a 6w5, I think it depends on how healthy I'm feeling when I take the test). I want to be morally upstanding, corrupted by nothing and someone with strong character. I try to do the right thing and I don't let a wrong go if it happens in front of me. I definitely enjoy the role of crusader and will take on any cause that catches my eye. I don't have a fantastic memory for events or conversations, either, so when I'm relating things to people during a discussion or in arguments my points can be pretty disjointed, sometimes inaccurate, out of order, etc. I pay a lot more attention to how things make me feel and I'm terrible at remembering things like faces or names, but I'll remember someone's interests, hobbies, their work, and randomly gift bomb them with something that made me think of them or that I know they would personally value.

13. In what areas of your life would you like help?
>> Commitment and patience. I am very impatient for results right NOW; planning things out, waiting for the right moment, I really struggle with that because I like to see my efforts rewarded tangibly. Committing myself to goals and laying out a framework for success...I'm good at setting goals, I guess, but horrible with the fine details and actually making everything happen. It's weird because I can be very detail oriented, and I can spend quite a lot of time focusing my attention on a task, but I get easily bored or overwhelmed by overcomplicated tasks or procedures.

14. Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
>> Yes. Money and freedom. I want the first and don't have enough of the second because of my obligations and it can really disheartening. I don't like hearing about people doing amazing things, I want to go do amazing things myself and I can't.

People & Interactions

15. What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
>> I value things like openness, honesty, decorum and consideration for others. There are two people I tend to get along with the least; 1 People who are very loud, brash, obnoxious, aggressive, indiscreet 2 People who are extremely heavy on the thinking, the abstract and lack of emotion. Words like logical, cerebral and scientific get under my skin because it brings to mind people who are uncaring, have no regard for the human condition and who dismiss feelings as being of no consequence. To me, everyone matters, life is a miraculous and beautiful experience and we have souls that are constantly learning, expanding, evolving, growing with each life we live, each person we encounter, every opportunity for love and caring that we embrace. Anyone that gives me the vibe of wasting or utterly disrespecting that gift of life, or who thinks or talks or acts like life is simply trivial and nonsensical and illogical, we're just not going to see eye to eye and I avoid them as much as I can.

16. How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
>> This is kind of tough. I have never been in a relationship with someone who was well-matched with me, so I'm inclined to say I don't like being in relationships but that's not really true. As much as I like to experience life solo and internalize and enjoy how that makes me feel, it's also enjoyable to share that with someone who can appreciate it. Someone who enjoys you as you are, for who you are, and that is supportive of you while still being their own person? That would be wonderful. I just haven't found that for myself. If I were looking for a partner, I'd look at their sense of humor, their drive, their independence levels. Someone who has strong feelings they can express well, who knows how to enjoy life but also who can settle down and get things done when they need to. Reliability and truthfulness, of course.

17. If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
>> I am raising one! And I probably look a lot more like an FJ type with her than I do an FP, ha. I'm a pretty strict and protective parent, but that's because she's autistic and so she has to have routine and consistency or it's going to be so much harder for her to function. My main concern is making sure that she's protected from anybody that would do her harm or give her a hard time and that she has as wide a support system as she needs to be successful. Second, her happiness. She has the best smile in the world and I try to do what I can to make sure it never leaves her face. That being said, I have no qualms at all saying No to her and she probably has a raging tantrum at me at least three times a day. I absolutely will not spoil her, but I still try to be realistic and I make sure to reward her, even for little things, because as much trouble as she has with stuff that normal people take for granted, I know the effort and strain it can cost her and I want her to know I see her trying and I'm in her corner.

18. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
>> It really depends. I'm pretty spiritually flexible and tolerant of other people having different beliefs from me, or even lack of beliefs. And if they are clear that's just what they believe or feel, I'm good with it, even if it makes me a little uncomfortable. If they state it as an undeniable fact, I'll be reserved on the outside ("Well, you're allowed to feel that way") but inside I'll be pretty annoyed if not outright offended. I don't like anyone being suppressed or made to feel like they're somehow lesser for being or feeling differently from someone else (as long as it doesn't clash with my own moral code) and I have a zero tolerance policy for bigoted or cruel behavior.

There were three more questions in this list but I think I've pretty much covered them in other questions. So yeah I hope this is helpful!

Last edited:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
More Ne than Se from what you have posted. INFP.:D

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=24680]TexanType[/MENTION] I have a question for you.

How do you prefer to spend your time when you need to recharge? Do you prefer to recharge on your own, or with other people?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You seem most like a stereotypical INFP 6w5.

TexanType

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thanks for the responses, guys! ^^ [MENTION=24431]robert666[/MENTION] I definitely need to recharge by myself. I take comfort in having some time to read, doodle, work on puzzles (logic, jigsaw, doesn't matter), etc.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
Here's my assessment of your type.

1. What is beauty? What is love?
>> True beauty comes from the heart. It is joyous, pure, unaltered, stemming from raw emotion or fearlessness. It is a plant thrusting its way through the cracks of pavement in some inner city, when there's nothing green around it for miles. It is a homeless person who gives his change to a kid who can't afford the ice cream they wanted to buy. It is a person that could hide their blemishes or faults with makeup, but they choose not to. It's in the tears on someone's face when they're moved by a piece of music or a story. Love is much the same. Not to get all biblical on anybody, but I do believe that love is patient, and kind, and unselfish. Love sets aside all differences. Love is forgiveness, love is knowing when to let go. Love is a kind word, love is not judging unjustly. Love is universal.
Seems N.

3. Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
>>Yes. I consider myself spiritual, non religious. The why? Because accounts of ghosts, mediums, near-death experiences, out-of-body experiences and other paranormal phenomena fascinate me and when examined through the lens of science and careful thought they make the most sense. Work done by organizations like the International Academy of Consciousness give me hope that our minds, such as they are, can and do survive material death. I've read many books on meditation and out of body techniques in the hopes of having an experience, myself, and confirming some of what I've read about. No success yet, but I prefer to be open-minded. The thought of a material and oblivion-inducing death is horrifying and repugnant to me and I don't wish to expand on that further.
Seems N.

5. What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
>> I love anything that engages my emotions or my senses. I'm just as comfortable curled up with a novel for a few hours as I am sweating along some hiking trail hoping to see and not get injured by wildlife. I enjoy most things which can be done under my own power, without having to rely too much on other people. One, because I hate being a burden or owing others, and two, life feels a lot more enjoyable when I can claim my achievements as truly my own. I'm only a homebody because I take care of two disabled family members and my resources are extremely limited, not because that's how I want to live. If I could go out into the woods and study a family of marmots or learn how to guide people up mountains, I would be over the moon. But I love and am loyal to the few people in my life who are important to me, so I do what I have to. I really enjoy long conversations about books I've read, personal anecdotes, spirituality, animals. Whatever I have a reasonable amount of knowledge on, I will happily talk about. I tend to be reserved at first but I wear my heart on my sleeve and it's not hard to get me going on some subject or another.
Seems F.

9. What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
>> It's not hard to make me cry. I'm a very sensitive person and open about my emotions, so when something moves me or upsets me enough, there go the waterworks. Most recent example, a song by Train called Bulletproof Picasso was particularly moving to me and made me tear up. Also heard a story about a guy and his daughter who were homeless, and this group that raises awareness for the plight of the homeless and helps them gave his daughter an Easter basket and gave him a car, so he could drive to go to school and work. I have a hard time singing lullabies to my little girl because I get choked up with emotion, just so much love for her. What makes me smile? Acts of kindness. Baby animals. Funny videos online. A beautiful day. Couples doing cute things like holding hands in public. Singing and dancing flash mobs. People asking me to smile.
Seems F.

11. What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
>> Weaknesses! My temper. When I get upset over stuff, and it can be big stuff or little stuff, I can get stupendously angry. My mom once said I'm like a volcano, quiet and grumbling over time but then without warning I explode and it takes me a while to stop bubbling over. All that toxicity and heat and emotion has to come out til it's spent. Another weakness, inability to commit. I change my mind so frequently about what I want to do and how I want to be, it can be confusing even for people who know me well. When I have to be there for someone I will, don't get me wrong (I don't trust or get close to many people so I will not betray or fail on my friends and family who need me) but I don't enjoy having to commit my time to someone else and not have it open for other things I might like better.
Seems P.

12. What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
>> Strengths. My loyalty. My friends and family know that even if it annoys me or interrupts my day, I will be there for them no matter what. I am honest and will always keep in confidence what someone has shared with me if they ask me to. My value system, my personal code of ethics, is hugely important to me and I try hard to be a good person (I often type as a 1w9 if not a 6w5, I think it depends on how healthy I'm feeling when I take the test). I want to be morally upstanding, corrupted by nothing and someone with strong character. I try to do the right thing and I don't let a wrong go if it happens in front of me. I definitely enjoy the role of crusader and will take on any cause that catches my eye. I don't have a fantastic memory for events or conversations, either, so when I'm relating things to people during a discussion or in arguments my points can be pretty disjointed, sometimes inaccurate, out of order, etc. I pay a lot more attention to how things make me feel and I'm terrible at remembering things like faces or names, but I'll remember someone's interests, hobbies, their work, and randomly gift bomb them with something that made me think of them or that I know they would personally value.
Seems FP.

13. In what areas of your life would you like help?
>> Commitment and patience. I am very impatient for results right NOW; planning things out, waiting for the right moment, I really struggle with that because I like to see my efforts rewarded tangibly. Committing myself to goals and laying out a framework for success...I'm good at setting goals, I guess, but horrible with the fine details and actually making everything happen. It's weird because I can be very detail oriented, and I can spend quite a lot of time focusing my attention on a task, but I get easily bored or overwhelmed by overcomplicated tasks or procedures.
Seems P.

15. What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
>> I value things like openness, honesty, decorum and consideration for others. There are two people I tend to get along with the least; 1 People who are very loud, brash, obnoxious, aggressive, indiscreet 2 People who are extremely heavy on the thinking, the abstract and lack of emotion. Words like logical, cerebral and scientific get under my skin because it brings to mind people who are uncaring, have no regard for the human condition and who dismiss feelings as being of no consequence. To me, everyone matters, life is a miraculous and beautiful experience and we have souls that are constantly learning, expanding, evolving, growing with each life we live, each person we encounter, every opportunity for love and caring that we embrace. Anyone that gives me the vibe of wasting or utterly disrespecting that gift of life, or who thinks or talks or acts like life is simply trivial and nonsensical and illogical, we're just not going to see eye to eye and I avoid them as much as I can.
Seems F and seems FP.

I definitely need to recharge by myself. I take comfort in having some time to read, doodle, work on puzzles (logic, jigsaw, doesn't matter), etc.
Seems I.

The Fi and the N seem pretty obvious to me. I am typing you as INFP.

TexanType

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thanks again for the response. On my own I've been researching how INFP's primary functions interact, focusing in particular on how inferior Te can affect INFP's Ne in a negative way if not focused and redirected in a healthy manner. If I had understood that better from the beginning, I don't think typing myself would have been so difficult for me. It's been such an eye opener, given my traits when I'm not embracing my Ne more (my aforementioned temper, lack of empathy, my perfectionist tendencies tend to get inflated to the level of ridiculousness and I can be forceful about pushing my standards and values on others without consideration for their feelings, becoming more inflexible and fixated on systems and the past rather than letting myself go with the flow). I can and have been able to work on my usage of Te to a more positive effect but when I don't, it's not good. INFP descriptions make that type sound like such wonderful people, but when I started doing more reading through posts by other INFPs with similar issues to mine it made me feel so much more normal. I appreciate an affirmation of what my gut was telling me.