• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI vs Jungs cognitive function = diff result + possibly different childhood type?

PerfectlyConfused

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey guys :)

I'll try to keep this brief, I do tangent, and there's a lot of information.

23: INTJ a few times, then INTP a few times. INTP seemed to fit better for me than INTJ.
26 INFJ in life. Helped me with emotions etc. 3 years later MBTI: INTP but now T is 1% from a regular 80%...

Identity crisis. Joined INTPforums. Short version: More likely INFP.
Which I a small part of me DID feel happy about being an F (so that probably means something).

After joining INFP PersC Forum 2 days ago, I had high hopes...
They were crushed when I saw how depressive and passive the other INFPs were.

Watched ENTP vid on youtube. The guys behaviour is what I used to be mostly like in childhood.
I searched ENTP and depression. First thread read, OP basically stated had been going against preferences and didn't realise. (I figured this out after 4+ years of intense personal growth attempts, that what works for most does not include everyone...) The OP went in for depression and was told Mild ADHD. I got ADHD dx at 26(after personal growth failure)

Jungs cognitive function tests I did other day: ENFP on both sites.
1 site gave most likely: 1. ENFP 2.Forget 3. INFP
(1% T is the closest ever been to F on MBTI, T was always around 80%)

I learn today ISTJ is basically ENTP understress (shadow type?).
Well as a child, I acted differently at home (withdrawn) than I did when out with friends. My childhood was emotional, verbally and psychologically abusive throughout.

When I was 20 and got own place "Can now finally deal with past, and then onto future" and so I started personal growth. Failed repeatedly for years! (new info, try, new info, try, new info, try) I got educated alright, but no change.

I cannot say I know my childhood MBTI for sure, at all, because I have missing blocks of memory and my behaviour was not always the same.

My question is for you guys,

Do you think it's possible that, I am an ENFP (I'm told it never changes),
that because I was under stress at home constantly, I was frequently/permanent in shadow functions for years, and by the time I had my own place, I went to shadow function as default, and then the isolation only made things worse. I was under stress at home as well, to get things done, and noisy neighbour.

^Which resulted in me getting my first INTJ(2+years isolation already) a few times, then INTP a few times?

I mean, for my T to drop 79% from personal growth (because I was detatched, numb, and so on) with an INFJ (GF), when does that ever happen?
So went from T to F. Went from J to P (INTP fit better than INTJ)
AND
My recent Jung cognitive function highest result was Ne @ 95%, which translate into ENTP or ENFP on the MBTI.
(and I can only say, it's probably not a question fluke to be @ 95%) (and I always select yes on MBTI "does speaking to others make you feel better" - This question catches my attention every single time)

I would say I am a thinker, but I also can say, others feelings/pain hits me hard, and feel inclined to help!

I think my childhood, and the detatchment and isolation was the reason why was my thinking was developed too (if going off I am a feeler first)

If Te is what I think it means, that would be from my "rebel against everything and everyone" after developing severe trust problem. (Biggest fear is being controlled. What my Enneagram is, Type 8w7)
(wonder if that tells us, since I fight what's for what's right and emotionally so, that means 70% of everything in the World is wrong? Lol)

Jung functions:

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (30%)
Ti (Introverted Thinking) (70%)

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (95%)
Ni (Introverted Intuition) (75%)
Se (Extroverted Sensing) (50%)
Si (Introverted Sensing) (55%)
Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (75%)
Fi (Introverted Feeling) (85%)

What do you guys think?
Thank you for reading this somewhat lengthy post, btw :)

PerfectlyConfused

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know people say "can't change it" it's static, and i'm not saying that's untrue, I don't know, I've studied a variety of things, not a few to top level.
Accepting it is static though:
I think it was possible for me to stretch this far from what I believe my original type was because,

After a 4th suicide attempt failure at 14, I can't remember the exact feeling, but hopeless and let go, would of no doubt been it.
A lot of the personal growth studying from 20, I did, WAS to select all the "optimum" thing/behaviours/attitude to "be the best I can be", and not what I wanted/enjoyed. (I didn't know what I wanted or know what enjoyed after my life how it was, I wanted to just deal with things. (I was detatched from self, body, emotions, all brain)

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd recommend just focusing on your preferences and forgetting about the functioms unless you're going to a certified professional in mbti. Whenenver you haven't taken the actual course, you'll actual find that functions confuse more than the help because of all the stereotypes and lack of scientific explanation online. People will do shit like associate creativity with Ne and athletic ability with Se, but you'll fimd that those stereotypes conflict with the descriptions of the functions on the official mbti site. I would recommend really looking into your mind, not thinking about the future or past, just paying attentio to how you think and feel in the immediate present moments and answer these questions:

The first piece of info will determine the attitude of your other preferences most of the time, also known as Extraversion/introversion. Extraverts will prefer outer stimulation because it energizes them and will be bored by a lack of it. Introverts prefer peace and quiet so they can focus on their thoughts and interests, often drained by outer stimulation. Extraverts are E, Introverts are I and if you are in between, you are an ambivert, which most likely means you are some kind of xNxP

The second preference is how you prefer to interpret or perceive information, aka Intuition and sensing. These do not literally mean sensing and intuition, but instead have certain personality traits asociated with them. Intuitives will most likely be a dreamer, creative, follow their gut, and will be more into mental satisfaction and non-material concepts, like love and adventure. Sensors will be more realistic, practical, down to earth, and will be more impressed with material things such as cars, sex, and anything that can be understood with the senses.

The third part of mbti is decision making, which is made in two possible ways, facts and logic(thinking), or beliefs, feelings, values or anything that can't be explain in terms of cause and effect(feeling)

The fourth part is often the easiest to determine. It was for me anyway. It's simple, perceivers will prefer to be spontaneous, disorganized, independent, and seek out information. Judgers prefer order, schedules, structure, planned actions, and will often be less open to information.

If you still can't figure it out, here's examples of two foiling characters(characters with opposing traits that make their personalities more obvious)
Spongebob(ENFP)
E- spongebob prefers the outside world if adventure and activities and talks to everyone he meets
N- spongebob prefers to dream and deal with facts, he's always coming up with off the wall ideas and notioms that annoy his sensor buddies
F- spongebob is completely emitional, cries all the time, but will fight to defend his beliefs
P- Spongebob may seem OCD and structure oriented, but he takes a live and let live approach to life and whenever he is off work, he does things based off the feelings of the moment, even if it's planning activites, he does it spontaneously

Squidward(ISTJ)
I- squiward is annoyed by spongebob's talking to him and just wants to sit in his house alone without all the drama. He often gets lost in his own art and music
S- squidward may appreciate art and creavity, but he is all but a dreamer. He is highly realistic and the mist practical you can get. No wonder he spends his time painting and playing the clarinet instead of fantasizing and being creative.
T-squidward makes all of his decisions on facts and hates drama. He gets mad at spongebob due to the fact that he destroys his house and messes with his stuff and not because he simply doesn't like him.
J- Squidward gets to the point of crying whenever his plans are ruined and will often become uncharictaristically intuitive out if stress in defense of his plans. Squidward would prefer structured and repetitive clarinet recitals over spontaneous playing around. Very responsible, and only thrown off track by spongebob.

Hope this helped.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTI is intended to type people who are rather average to healthy in terms of mental wellness, so if you are suffering from trauma and have some heavy emotional problems, then it is unlikely it will indicate the correct type for you, and you may find you test "all over the place".

It is quite common for people struggling with depression or other emotional problems to mistype as INFP or even ENFP. This is because questions intended to indicate certain dichotomies can be misapplied to mean, er, distortions in personality, not a healthy preference. The N-F-P end of the spectrum is more prone to this misapplication than the S-T-J end, and introversion is also more easily associated with negative personality "imbalances".

For example
"I" misapplication - someone who has poor social skills and may isolate themselves or feel no connection to others
"N" misapplication - someone who is very out of touch with reality, may use a lot of wishful thinking, believes they know/see things without any evidence (paranoid)
"F" misapplication - someone who has extreme emotions and uses these to make all their "decisions" (which is more like being an impulsive person), someone who is unable to function well in life because of such extreme emotions
"P" misapplication - someone who cannot function well in life because they are unable to adapt to existing structures (ironically, this is not the adaptability associated with P types), someone who is so frazzled mentally they cannot focus or accomplish much, not able to be responsible/relied upon because of erratic behaviors

The above is not a personality type in this system - that would be someone who is not well. I am not implying those traits apply to you, but only use it to illustrate how typing oneself when not well is pretty useless. Since you have been open about your problems, it seems that the typing system would not work as intended for you.

Your interpretation of inferior Te is not generally how it plays out at all. If you are interested in doing more reading, then Naomi Quenk's "Was that really me?" discusses how the inferior function plays out in a type, including when someone is "in the grip" of the inferior function to the point where it distorts the personality. It may be useful for those who are trying to determine type when they are not that emotionally healthy, but I personally maintain that a person may be "untypable" when too below the average/healthy range, and the system is not designed for indicating that.

I wish you the best in working in through all of this.

PerfectlyConfused

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you both for explaining, and the book suggestion, i'll definitely check it out.

I was reading and thinking, most of the day after I posted this.

and I did fit ENP before.
I also found several traits which no other types have, which I still have now.

I'll be continuing to research and think, but I have taken on board what you have said OrangeAppled :)
but ultimately I do believe i'm ENFP/ENXX in recovery.
My Enneagram type 8w7, and my RIASEC is IAE. It sounds right to me. (A being 1/10th less of I)

(I used to be like several ENTJs on this forum except now the smart mouth and aggression is a lot less, after 3years+ INFJ relationship)

iauiugu

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I'm by no means an expert, but I'd still recommend cognitive functions as a means of studying yourself, as if any part of this type system is innate, it would be these functions. the scales of N-S and such seem to reflect one's conditioned or cultivated habits and thought systems, while cognitive functions are supposed to address how we a priori receive and process reality in order to develop those habits and thoughts.

these functions are often described in terms of phenomenological, individual first-hand experience, which can make them easier to interpret against how you know your mind to work. like i'm an INFJ, and the cog process of my Ni dom, to often and easily generate single, 'deep' structure/norm-neutral abstract interpetations of the world around me, and experience a sense of disconnection with my body (Si) and the world around me (Se). I do not experience something like my Ne using friend says, as she is able to quickly articulate a plethora of possibilities from a single point.

your description of Te seems opposite of how its generally understood, as Te-dominant people tend to view things in terms of minimal, efficient structures that are verified through external experience and seek highly precise information to act from, while Ti have a personally designed sense of thinky subjects like effect, function, systems, and logic, sometimes contradicting wider norms in these issues

Fe people get a non-verbal emotional read from their environment that influences them towards seeking social harmony, and are moved to care about people as groups, with Fi people feel strong values towards few things deeply, seeming cold and aloof to those outside this circle.

I find that you should best count on your own faculties when making any final call on these things, and if you invest time into reading multiple accounts of them to get a broader sense of what they are, cognitive functions could help

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mis-typed as a ISTP in college. I was never ISTP. But due to emotional trauma, I tried to change myself into an unemotional, person grounded in only the here and now and hard facts.

It was not true and I spent most of my life running from who I really am.

So, I didn't change type, but I sure didn't live and grow my type. So, I would focus and getting healthy. Your mind isn't you friend. Meditate more. Exercise more. Get in touch with life more. Live in the moment. Get inspired.

Then, when you are healthy, come back to MBTI and test. But get in touch with yourself, first.