User Tag List

123 Last

Cool PICK ME PICK ME! jk (kinda) I'm not sure if Ne-dom or Fi-dom (ENFP v. INFP) Help??

I'm new here but I've been really into personality psych for about two years now. For the past two years, every time I test I would get INFP. I looked into it and it definitely resonated with me, but there were things that didn't (as with most people, I'm sure). I also have been in a bad funk the past couple of years, too, with terrible work atmospheres and the whole "figuring out who I am".

Okay, I'll get to it...I have been feeling much better the past few months with (finally!) a job atmosphere more conducive to my style and overall being more confident.

Now, I am not a super extraverted person socially; I don't have a ton of friends I hang out with, but I think a lot of people like me/kind of drawn to me. I'm also very flirty but don't mean to be. I love getting to know individuals and can't stand awkward silences. I also hate when I feel like the person I'm with doesn't want to talk. I have read that the majority of INFPs keep emotions inside. I DO NOT DO THIS. I simply cannot do this. I have to talk about my feelings.

I just can't figure it out!! I don't believe in ambiversion, though, because that would mean two functions are constantly fighting each other and I don't think that's how our minds work.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any insider info!! x PEACE.

P.S. I don't know what the thread icons are so I just picked one I liked. Didn't think about that before I posted. Sorry if it's "wrong" for this thread!!

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

I dunno, just from reading this, you seem a little more ENFP. I've heard that a great number of them don't necessarily act like the stereotypical extrovert, and can be very selective regarding friends. The first thing I would consider is the basic recharge question. Do you revitalize yourself by being alone? You might feel that sense of exhalation and relief, maybe like a wonderful cooling sensation. Or do you revitalize yourself by surrounding yourself with people (not necessarily strangers)? You might feel a sense of lighting up, like a "happy buzz."

As an aside, I'd have to disagree with you on the ambiversion thing. I most definitely think it's real; we humans are messy individuals, and I think function theory can only go so far. Ambiverts usually have a slight leaning towards one end of the spectrum or other. This leaning, I speculate, would probably determine which function is dominant. And then again, I believe functions can be used at equal capacity, or can switch places. Again, humans are really weird. I think all of us have things inside us that always seem at war.
    Likes stardusted liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Your attitude toward other people suggests ENFP, at least to me. But yeah, a good question to ask yourself would be, how do you feel when you have to be alone? Is it relaxing and refreshing, or does it make you feel anxious?

Hey, the mightyfetus, thanks for the reply. It's weird because I have a sleep disorder so I get tired all the time anyway, so that may be why it's hard for me to gauge the energy thing. But I would say I get invigorated usually, unless it's someone super loud/overbearing.

And also- I like your opinion on the ambiversion thing; interesting theory. I think extraversion/introversion can have multiple meanings (i.e., social, cognitive, possibly more), and kinda stole my opinion from personalityhacker's podcast titled "Do Ambiverts Exist?".

Either way, you should check it/them out...Really interesting stuff!!
    Last edited by stardusted; 03-26-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Likes themightyfetus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Your attitude toward other people suggests ENFP, at least to me. But yeah, a good question to ask yourself would be, how do you feel when you have to be alone? Is it relaxing and refreshing, or does it make you feel anxious?
    Hey there!! Did you do that artwork in your avatar, BTW? Pretty sweet.

And thanks for the reply! Honestly, sometimes I find it soo relaxing. Other times, I feel depressed. I really am wondering if I've falsely thought I was INFP for two years now! I also wonder if that funk I was in made me really clam up and become anti-social because the situation at that job made me really depressed...

I have tried to be all "feely" and write and stuff, but I get so bored doing it. I also have never been a big fantasy person, i.e., I feel more grounded than many INFPs (from what I can tell). I am wondering if that may be due to an extraverted focus? I have also always cared very much about what people thought of me--no matter how hard I tried not to! Their opinion seemed truer than mine...OF ME. I've gotten better with this though.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by stardusted View Post

I'm new here but I've been really into personality psych for about two years now. For the past two years, every time I test I would get INFP. I looked into it and it definitely resonated with me, but there were things that didn't (as with most people, I'm sure). I also have been in a bad funk the past couple of years, too, with terrible work atmospheres and the whole "figuring out who I am".

Okay, I'll get to it...I have been feeling much better the past few months with (finally!) a job atmosphere more conducive to my style and overall being more confident.

Now, I am not a super extraverted person socially; I don't have a ton of friends I hang out with, but I think a lot of people like me/kind of drawn to me. I'm also very flirty but don't mean to be. I love getting to know individuals and can't stand awkward silences. I also hate when I feel like the person I'm with doesn't want to talk. I have read that the majority of INFPs keep emotions inside. I DO NOT DO THIS. I simply cannot do this. I have to talk about my feelings.

I just can't figure it out!! I don't believe in ambiversion, though, because that would mean two functions are constantly fighting each other and I don't think that's how our minds work.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any insider info!!
    I agree with the other folks who posted that you sound more like an ENFP to me. Either way, Welcome!

I am most definitely ENFJ, but when I am in a funk I can really isolate myself and become much for "I" like. I also thought that your comment about wanting to talk with the person your with and not liking it when they don't, sounds very E to me. Ultimately, you are the only one who can know for SURE what type you are, but good luck!

Enneagram
    495 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I'd agree with ENFP. You definitely seem Ne leading Questionnaire might yield more clues, if you want to do that.

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

I might check it out! Thanks for the suggestion.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

@stardusted Haha, no, I didn't draw it. I just found it on the Interwebs. I'm a dirty thief.

You really do sound very ENFP-ish to me. In fact, a lot of what you said reminds me of my ENFP ex-boyfriend. He doesn't mind being alone, but he's definitely energized when he's around others. And he loves talking and getting to know people. He can talk to literally anyone. It's one of the things I find simultaneously admirable and annoying about him.

He also doesn't care about fantasy or sci-fi stuff. But I'm not sure those are type-related.

And I could see how a depressed ENFP might mistake themselves for an INFP. If they focus too much on their inner world, they can seem like introverts.

But I'm not an ENFP! I just know a lot of them. @five sounds, @Qlip, @Chanaynay, @labyrinth_perhaps, any thoughts?
    Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

You definitely seem Extraverted, either Ne or Se. The INFPs I've met tend to feel a bit anxious about talking about their feelings, and tend to feel like they're the source of awkward silence. I've been in two different phases where I've thought I was Introverted. The first is when I was in a depression, and I would consistently test as an INTP, skewing towards T is not all that unusual for a male. The second is recently where I wondered if I wasn't an INFP, because I'm pretty comfortable with myself and have been wielding my Te like a curmudgeonly old man's cane at the expense of socializing in uninteresting situations.