• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New here and just want to finally figure out my type.

LeetoLydia

MBTI Type
Unkn
I see that a ton of people have posted questions regarding their type, so here's my go at it.

A friend came over and told me he had been doing a lot of research and found the Myers-Briggs test. He initially typed me as an ISFJ. This was about a month or two ago. Now, he says he believes I'm an INFJ.

I've taken numerous tests online, all giving differing answers... INTP and ESTP from two different ones, and my friend saying ISFJ and then INFJ.

I've read descriptions mostly from this site: Psychological Type profiles , and I seem to relate to the three I types previously mentioned.

The major problem I have while taking tests online is that they aren't specific enough for me. Sometimes it'd be easier if they gave me a "for instance".

Can anyone out there give me some clues so I can be sure what my type is? It'd be much appreciated. =)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I see that a ton of people have posted questions regarding their type, so here's my go at it.

A friend came over and told me he had been doing a lot of research and found the Myers-Briggs test. He initially typed me as an ISFJ. This was about a month or two ago. Now, he says he believes I'm an INFJ.

I've taken numerous tests online, all giving differing answers... INTP and ESTP from two different ones, and my friend saying ISFJ and then INFJ.

I've read descriptions mostly from this site: Psychological Type profiles , and I seem to relate to the three I types previously mentioned.

The major problem I have while taking tests online is that they aren't specific enough for me. Sometimes it'd be easier if they gave me a "for instance".

Can anyone out there give me some clues so I can be sure what my type is? It'd be much appreciated. =)

Hello, LeetoLydia. You've come right to the point, I see.

You don't seem to have found a very good source of information, I fear. The site you found has nothing to do with MBTI, but is about a theory called Socionics, which is based on the same theoretical roots, but is fundamentally different on the technical and practical level.

I understand your frustration with lack of precision. The fact is that MBTI is not a totally objective system, especially not as administered in the form of online tests. You simply have to search for your best-fit type. This test seems to have been accepted as the one to trust, although many question it's accuracy. Also, you should find the descriptions of cognitive functions on this website and types on this website to be helpful.

If you search around on the sites in the links I gave you (and around this message board), you should find plenty of information on Interaction Styles and Temperament Groups (and their skill sets), which may help you to narrow things down.

If you want us to make semi-educated guesses as to your type, we will need more information about your habits, interests, and typical behavior in various situations.

Lastly, if you want the most definitive and widely accepted answer, you should seek to take the official MBTI. It's quite expensive at $150, though.

If you need any further clarification, please ask.

LeetoLydia

MBTI Type
Unkn
Thanks for your input. I'm filling out the Cognitive Process questions right now, and will post what it says.

LeetoLydia

MBTI Type
Unkn
Alright, so it says:

"Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INTP"

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
heya ris :hi:, i would actually say enfp more so than infp after having thought about it.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think one other thing which is helpful is to ask yourself which type you would prefer to be based on the profiles, and then distinguish this from a "wannabe" type by asking yourself and friends if it really describes you accurately. This was a helpful exercise for me, and I would guess it would be even more helpful for an NF. :)

LeetoLydia

MBTI Type
Unkn
Yeah, I'm probably going to have to do some research on this stuff.

While at work I was thinking of some characteristics that may help. Here are a bunch in to particular order...

-I like to work in the background. Easiest example is working backstage at a concert or some event. I've never liked being the center of attention. If I ever get married, just the thought of being in front of people...being watched...makes me uncomfortable.

-When it comes down to group situations, I don't like leading. I'd be more comfortable giving suggestions, like an adviser, but I like brainstorming with people. I can be the initiator when in a group of friends, but even then I try throwing ideas into the mix and seeing what they agree on. I like making sure others are comfortable.

-I'm very opinionated and can be argumentative. Other people can believe what they want, but when it comes to me (especially in relationships) I am very picky.

-I'm very stubborn...maybe to a fault, but I try to keep an open ear just in case.

-I like talking to people one-on-one rather than in group discussions. I don't like small talk, I like getting to the point. If I call someone, I say what's on my mind and after that, I'll ask how they are, what they've been up to, etc.

-People will come to me for advice. It's not unusual to learn a person's life story the withing first few hours of meeting. They feel comfortable around me. I'm a good listener if they have problems and would like advice, but if it's casual conversations, I talk too much and go on tangents...or at least that's how I feel.

-I love problem solving, puzzles, mystery books and movies.

-I am a huge procrastinator. I will wait until the last minute, but am good at finishing deadlines.

-It's common for me to arrive places late.

-I like to people watch. I like more quiet activities such as hiking, biking, swimming, snorkeling, reading, camping, visiting zoos and aquariums, and traveling. I'm not a thrill seeker, but I enjoy roller coasters and driving fast (you could say i have a lead foot).

-I've always loved animals and nature

-I try to be prepared. If I'm going to the San Diego Wild Animal Park, for instance, I'll bring clothes for warm weather, cold weather, and maybe a change of clothes in case I get sweaty. Then I'll bring shoes and sandals, water, snacks, a blanket...the list goes on.

-I believe in learning from others' mistakes. I know you have to learn somethings on your own, but I like doing things right the first time.

-I have a bad short-term memory, but I remember random facts. I typically remember general things rather than specifics. Like when I'll learn something...I'll listen, comprehend, and then decide whether I agree or disagree. Later on, I'll only remember if I agree or not and will not be able to explain why. I have by then forgotten the process that led me to my decision.

-I'm a gamer. Played WoW for 3 years. Have been playing video games for as long as I can remember.

-I like technology too. Computers, gadgets and such...if only I had the money for them. I'm pretty good with computers as well.

-I love taking pictures...mostly of nature; sunsets, animals, flowers, lakes, the ocean.

-I'm bad at english composition, history (bad memory). Good at editing and math. (I guess because they follow strict rules.)

-I'm an idealist and think I see things realistically. I used to expect perfection from myself and everyone. This changed after I got into a serious relationship and learned that perfection can't exist with people.

-I like lists. Helps me remember things. If I don't write a to do list, I'll probably wander off and forget what I was doing.

-I'm religious. Go to church every Sunday, pray, and it's one of the biggest priorities in my life.

-I can't stand when people are illogical or excessively emotional.

-I like House, Bones, Law and Order, Dr. Who, cartoons, fantasy, sci-fi, some ramance stuff, and comedy. Dislike soap operas, and tv shows like The OC.

A long list, I know...I've been adding thoughts as I was going over what I wrote down earlier today.

Any clarifications needed? And does this all point to a more specific type?

LeetoLydia

MBTI Type
Unkn
Yes, but how do the female INTPs differ from the male ones? Can you give any examples?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yes, but how do the female INTPs differ from the male ones? Can you give any examples?
OK now I think you're INFP. Seriously.

People all have things in common.
Women all have things in common.
INTPs all have things in common.

We're all the same, and we're all different.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
What was your Ti score on that test? Your description sounds like you use that more than Fi, but maybe you omitted Fi things for some reason? Your description sounds more INTP, but you could be an INFP with well-balanced T/F.

Just a test to see how much you like computers... :D

int variable1 = 5;
int variable2 = --(++variable1);

variable1++ += --variable2;

What is the value of variable1 now?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think one other thing which is helpful is to ask yourself which type you would prefer to be based on the profiles, and then distinguish this from a "wannabe" type by asking yourself and friends if it really describes you accurately. This was a helpful exercise for me, and I would guess it would be even more helpful for an NF. :)

Hmmm my husband thought ENFJ was more accurate for me, although to be honest - I have a very strong Ni as well as Ne. I think it is good for clear-cut cases, but where preferences are balanced, it might not be as easy. In general, I think this is a good idea though.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I'm probably going to have to do some research on this stuff.

While at work I was thinking of some characteristics that may help. Here are a bunch in to particular order...

-I like to work in the background. Easiest example is working backstage at a concert or some event. I've never liked being the center of attention. If I ever get married, just the thought of being in front of people...being watched...makes me uncomfortable.

-When it comes down to group situations, I don't like leading. I'd be more comfortable giving suggestions, like an adviser, but I like brainstorming with people. I can be the initiator when in a group of friends, but even then I try throwing ideas into the mix and seeing what they agree on. I like making sure others are comfortable.

-I'm very opinionated and can be argumentative. Other people can believe what they want, but when it comes to me (especially in relationships) I am very picky.

-I'm very stubborn...maybe to a fault, but I try to keep an open ear just in case.

-I like talking to people one-on-one rather than in group discussions. I don't like small talk, I like getting to the point. If I call someone, I say what's on my mind and after that, I'll ask how they are, what they've been up to, etc.

-People will come to me for advice. It's not unusual to learn a person's life story the withing first few hours of meeting. They feel comfortable around me. I'm a good listener if they have problems and would like advice, but if it's casual conversations, I talk too much and go on tangents...or at least that's how I feel.

-I love problem solving, puzzles, mystery books and movies.

-I am a huge procrastinator. I will wait until the last minute, but am good at finishing deadlines.

-It's common for me to arrive places late.

-I like to people watch. I like more quiet activities such as hiking, biking, swimming, snorkeling, reading, camping, visiting zoos and aquariums, and traveling. I'm not a thrill seeker, but I enjoy roller coasters and driving fast (you could say i have a lead foot).

-I've always loved animals and nature

-I try to be prepared. If I'm going to the San Diego Wild Animal Park, for instance, I'll bring clothes for warm weather, cold weather, and maybe a change of clothes in case I get sweaty. Then I'll bring shoes and sandals, water, snacks, a blanket...the list goes on.

-I believe in learning from others' mistakes. I know you have to learn somethings on your own, but I like doing things right the first time.

-I have a bad short-term memory, but I remember random facts. I typically remember general things rather than specifics. Like when I'll learn something...I'll listen, comprehend, and then decide whether I agree or disagree. Later on, I'll only remember if I agree or not and will not be able to explain why. I have by then forgotten the process that led me to my decision.

-I'm a gamer. Played WoW for 3 years. Have been playing video games for as long as I can remember.

-I like technology too. Computers, gadgets and such...if only I had the money for them. I'm pretty good with computers as well.

-I love taking pictures...mostly of nature; sunsets, animals, flowers, lakes, the ocean.

-I'm bad at english composition, history (bad memory). Good at editing and math. (I guess because they follow strict rules.)

-I'm an idealist and think I see things realistically. I used to expect perfection from myself and everyone. This changed after I got into a serious relationship and learned that perfection can't exist with people.

-I like lists. Helps me remember things. If I don't write a to do list, I'll probably wander off and forget what I was doing.

-I'm religious. Go to church every Sunday, pray, and it's one of the biggest priorities in my life.

-I can't stand when people are illogical or excessively emotional.

-I like House, Bones, Law and Order, Dr. Who, cartoons, fantasy, sci-fi, some ramance stuff, and comedy. Dislike soap operas, and tv shows like The OC.

A long list, I know...I've been adding thoughts as I was going over what I wrote down earlier today.

Any clarifications needed? And does this all point to a more specific type?

Geez you sound like me with the exceptions of: Not being comfortable in front of people, not liking emotional things that much, being religious, and being bad in English and history.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
you find out your strongest letter (the letter you score highest) and slowly move to the weakest letter. There is always one letter or two that won't change.