User Tag List

First 12345 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I don't see as much difference between 7 and 5 as poriferan says there is.

They can help eachother. Learning how shit is, makes adventuring at lot easier. Adventuring gives you plenty of experience to learn the world.

I imagine it's far deeper than that, but on the surface, I don't see any real conflict. Contrast maybe, but... I'm kinda a contrast to myself a lot of the time.
    we fukin won boys

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The problem is that 5s are generally passive avoiders, whereas 7s are aggressive pursuers.

The biggest difference between the 7 and 5, as well as the biggest difference between the 7 and what I see in you, is that 7s try to control their feelings for the sake of projection. They try to look happy, look nice, look confident, look enthusiastic, even when they really aren't. 5s are emotional supressers. Just to bring 8s into the mix, they are emotionall turbulent, angry, despairing people.

A funny thing about the Enneagram is that they try to package it like there are nine totally unique types. Of course, I realized that there were surely some variables I could chop it down into. By analyzing the "brief enneagram tests" I got an idea of what variables they use.

So, if you take their archetypical profiles as authority, then a Seven has to be a faker of positivity. Likewise, I found that, unlike many other traits that they supposedly have, false positivity was one of things that actually existed as the value of a variable. The other two types with the false positivity trait are Twos and Nines.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I don't see as much difference between 7 and 5 as poriferan says there is.
    The main difference between 7 and 5 is how they deal with their anxiety.
    The 5 withdraws from the outside world while the 7 withdraws from the inner world.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ENFJ

Wouldn't 7w5 be a 7 on a good day, and a 5w7 be a 5 on a bad day?

It makes sense to scrap traditional wing theory, but then should we also scrap integration/disintegration? It seems like it'd work out better if wings could be any enneatype except the ones the type integrates/disintegrates to -- so a 7 could have a wing of any type except for 1 and 5, and a 5 could have any wing except 7 and 8, and so on.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    The main difference between 7 and 5 is how they deal with their anxiety.
    The 5 withdraws from the outside world while the 7 withdraws from the inner world.
    But what if I'm just never anxious?

I don't run away from my problems because I'm usually able to convince myself that they're not really problems.

When I do confess and submit, I do often withdraw.

Additionally, I'd say the source of anxiety would be play a large role in my reaction to it.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't run away from my problems because I'm usually able to convince myself that they're not really problems.

When I do confess and submit, I do often withdraw.

Additionally, I'd say the source of anxiety would be play a large role in my reaction to it.
    The problem is that the whole pattern is already usually defined in one type. It's not about switching back and forth between core and wing. Still, the habit you describe is a possible trait of 7s. To hide knowledge of problems from oneself, and then run when it can't be hidden anymore.

We're still at the drawing board though, because 8s do something similar. They convince themselves that they can handle anything(not quite the same as pretending there aren't any problems) and then huddle down when they realize that they couldn't handle something.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

(didn't read anyone else's response)

i vote 7w8

i think the 8 wing is played out strongly online; it's like a persona. your thought processes seem much more 7ish (only because i know how you talk on AIM, everyone else sees complete/edited posts)

edit:

hahaha soooo 7.

intellectualizing away your anxiousness because you'd rather not be bogged down by it.

MBTI
    ENTP

It seems pretty consistent that I'm 7 or 8.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, in that case

Misidentifying Sevens and Eights

Sevens and Eights are both aggressive types and can resemble each other in certain respects. Both are powerful personalities who are able to go after what they want in life, but what they want, and how they attempt to get it, are different.

Sevens are primarily interested in variety–they want to sample as many different experiences as possible and become practical in as much as their practicality gives them the means to pursue the experiences they want to try.

Eights, by contrast, are more interested in intensity–they care less about variety than about having intense experiences that they enjoy. Eights are also interested in power, both as a way to maintain their independence and as a way of asserting their dominance in the environment. Sevens are not particularly interested in having power, seeing the work necessary to maintain it as possibly infringing on their freedom.

Eights are an Instinctive type, and as such, make decisions from their "gut" instincts. They prefer dealing with practical matters, and although emotionally volatile at times, generally remain grounded and down to earth. Sevens are Thinking types, and can have brilliant, quick minds. At the same time, Sevens can get ahead of themselves with their plans, schemes, and interests: they can have trouble staying grounded and on track with their projects. Sevens see themselves as idealistic optimists, while Eights see themselves as hard-nosed realists.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm definitely not an 8.
    we fukin won boys