• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IxTx... help me narrow it down!

venomoustentacula

I show up on MBTI-type assessments as INTJ, or ISTP, or even ISTJ, and the uncertainty is slowly driving me nuts. I'm definitely an IxTx, but apparently there's something going on with my preference for Intuition or Sensing AND my preference for Judging or Perceiving.

- I like to joke that I'm the most unobservant visually-oriented person you'll ever meet. I can spot a typo or a mismatched dye lot at twenty paces, but don't expect me to notice your new haircut. And don't ask me "Did you see what she was wearing?!" because I didn't see the "her" in question, let alone notice her outfit.

- I am excellent at logistics, but the absolute worst at making plans. Need someone to organize a project with lots of details and fiddly pieces? On it. I'll get you checklists and schedules and updates on progress, no problem. I cook professionally for a living, and you want me for offsite catering jobs because I can visualize my way through the entire event, and I'll bring the fish spatula and piping bag tips no-one remembered to add to the pack-out list. Need me to RSVP for something a year ahead? I'll be over here, breaking out in a cold sweat. It's NEXT YEAR. I have no idea what I'm doing next month. (You're lucky if I know what I'm doing next week.)

- My filing cabinet is a model of organization, my important papers are in my safety deposit box at the bank, and I have a will and a power of attorney. But my desk drawers are filled with detritus, and my housekeeping is indifferent, at best.

Going through all my possible types:

INTP: I have never tested as an INTP. The type description doesn't really resonate with me, either.

ISTJ: I test once in a blue moon as an ISTJ. I can kind of see why: lots of the test questions can be applied to work settings, and at work, I'm diligent, responsible, organized, and have a strong sense of duty. This does not necessarily hold true, however, for my behavior outside of work. Also, the emphasis on tradition and family doesn't resonate at all.

INTJ: Perhaps it's a function of poorly-written descriptions, but the part of the INTJ profile that mentions abstract concepts and big ideas tends to leave me cold. Yes, I can have a heavy-duty conversation about philosophy with you, and acquit myself decently while doing so, but I'm going to resent the hell out of you for making me do it. Also, I have a lot of INTJ friends, and while I get along with them very well, I can't shake the feeling of "Yes, we're similar, but we're not quite the same."

ISTP: This is the type description I identify with more closely than any other. It gets at my taste for concrete, hands-on work and my desire for autonomy... but what's this about performing poorly in school and not liking to read? Also, skydiving? No, thank you!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
likely istj. no istp would write that stuff, and you say you aren't quite an intj, though you *could* be an intj with a different enneatype than typical intjs....making you the same, yet different.

venomoustentacula

Hmm. Still can't see myself in the ISTJ description - everything about personal relationships pretty much sounds wrong - but I guess I could be an oddball INTJ?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Exactly!

I'm an oddball infj.

What do you think your enneatype is?