• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an INFP or an ISFJ?

pureheart9

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
After taking lots of tests and getting help from a few informed friends, I've discovered that I don't actually know my type... but I've managed to narrow it down to INFP and ISFJ. Here's how I feel about each one:

INFP
I've always thought of myself as an INFP. The stereotype of an INFP seems to be someone who is sweet, soft-spoken, feminine, submissive, and idealistic. People also seem to think that they are the most sensitive of all the types. I'm a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) and this could be where all the confusion is coming from. Still, I feel like my views are much like those of an INFP. I do a lot to help/support people who are mistreated by those in authority, such as prisoners, or kids getting yelled at by their parents. I'm extremely empathetic in this way, to the point where it annoys just about everyone. This is the problem I have relating to INFPs on a deeper level. According to several sites, INFPs keep their views hidden unless they are threatened, and they do not like to be the center of attention. I am not like this at all. I'm very outspoken about my views and the one thing I can't stand is being ignored (despite being painfully shy). Also, I love to think about and plan for the future. I have a lot of long-term goals and I think about them on a daily basis.

ISFJ
I wasn't particularly thrilled to find out that I might be an ISFJ, as two of my least favorite people are this type. I don't like the idea of being "traditional" or old-fashioned; I think it's important to recognize when something can be improved. For example, I have New Age beliefs and identify with the Green Party, while my entire family is conservative Christian. Despite this, I still have a lot in common with ISFJs. I feel obligated to protect anyone and everyone, whether I know them or not, simply because no one should have to be attacked, emotionally or physically, with no one on their side. This is just common sense to me. Extremely sensitive INFx guys tend to be attracted to me because of my nurturing and protective nature, even though I tend to prefer those who are stronger and more mature but still appreciate being cared for at times. It takes a lot to earn my respect, but it doesn't take a lot to be liked by me. I am extremely judgmental and may quickly brush someone off as being conceited or vain, but I feel like that's not the same as only liking someone after they display specific qualities.

Functions
All I'm sure of is that I most likely have Si. I don't know if it's particularly strong, but I probably use it more than Se. The rest sort of confuse me. If someone could explain them, that would be great. For now, I'm just sort of guessing. These are NOT supposed to be in order, by the way.

Se- From what I understand, this involves being aware of the physical world and operating in the moment as opposed to daydreaming or "spacing out". I've become much better at this recently. I don't prefer to use it, but I am very good at it when necessary.

Ne- Apparently this one is seeing hidden meanings in certain occurences. I thought I was good at this, but my intuition often leads me astray. It has led me into several abusive relationships. However, I'm still confused about what Ne really means.

Te- Categorizing/analyzing, from what I can tell. I think I'm slightly above average at this.

Fe- This function has me totally lost. I know it involves socially appropriate behavior such as being considerate, and I'm pretty good at that. But I've also heard that it's about dealing with the emotions of others. I'm not good at this at all. If someone else is upset, I always feel awkward and I wish I could help but I don't know what to do. On the flip side of this argument, I've cried while watching My Little Pony. It seems that I am very responsive to the emotions of others, but not quite sure how to deal with them.

Si- Using past experiences to make decisions. I used to be terrible at this, but now I'm very good at it. I see similarities in people I meet online and my abusive exes and a million red flags go up.

Ni- wtf is Ni? Someone help. If this is the one that involves seeing future possibilities, I'm pretty sure I'm awesome at it.

Ti- I was completely lost while reading the Ti description.

Fi- I've heard that Fi is about your own feelings/emotions. I don't know much else.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
you are INFJ!

>I do a lot to help/support people who are mistreated by those in authority, such as prisoners, or kids getting yelled at by their parents. I'm extremely empathetic in this way, to the point where it annoys just about everyone.

this is Fe stuff, combined with the independent directive action of Ni.

infp, like myself, are incapable of acting like this.

>INFPs keep their views hidden unless they are threatened, and they do not like to be the center of attention.

exactly. more than anything we hide our judgement, because our judgement is not optimized for sharing or being imposed on interaction, it's designed to be personal. we do share a lot of views if they are purely informal.
some Te judgement can not be filtered out.

check out teal swan infj 3w4 on youtube, she is more individuated and if you go in resonance with her, you will learn more about yourself

this was me, using a directive style of communication, telling you what to do, which i wouldn't usually do, as an enneagram nine infp, but since i am talking to an infj, hey why not.

(my usual style is informal, i tell you what things are like)

>I still have a lot in common with ISFJs. I feel obligated to protect anyone and everyone, whether I know them or not

this is actually not an ISFJ trait. ISFJ are enneagram one and don't want to make errors, they won't readily protect someone from authorities who are probably right somehow. they would sooner rat you out!

INFJ always feel that they are right. they have seen it with their own Ni-Se eyes. so there!

Si types have tons of doubts about what something, that they have perceived, really means in the greater theme of things, the theme of Ne.
They are very careful about getting spontaneously involved into a complex situation. Even the spontaneity of Ne in infp is limited to independent actions.
You are clearly not like this.
If somebody gets into trouble, Si dominant types will likely think it was their own fault somehow. INFP won't think like that, nor will INFJ.

>I'm a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)

INFP are also very sensitive overall, however many sensoric aspects of HSP are specifically due to the Ni-Se axis.

besides your socionics type is, according to your profile, IEI (which means NiFe) and socionics tests are much better anyway.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I'm leaning toward ISFJ judging by what's written here but I recommend you fill out an MBTI questionnaire and post it here.

Unionruler

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think you are INFx. Doesn't appear to me that your Si is particularly strong.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Of all the types I know INFPs present the most differently, they can be all over the spectrum, I know know clean ones, dirty ones, socially anxious ones and incredibly gregarious ones. The shared Ne being invigorating has been the only consistent I have found with them.

You mention HSP, are you talking about heightened senses or overly emotional, I have seen people use it both ways.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne- Apparently this one is seeing hidden meanings in certain occurences. I thought I was good at this, but my intuition often leads me astray. It has led me into several abusive relationships. However, I'm still confused about what Ne really means.

Ne is seeing possibilities, asking what-if questions, going off on tangents... It's also associated with ambiguity: when an Ne user sees something, their mind comes up with many different interpretations of it. Ne is the "it could mean this but it could also mean the opposite but what if it means both" function. Have you ever seen the princess bride?

Te- Categorizing/analyzing, from what I can tell. I think I'm slightly above average at this.

Nope, that's Ti. Te is about organizing the external world in a logical way to maximize efficiency.

I see similarities in people I meet online and my abusive exes and a million red flags go up.

Most people would be like this after a traumatic experience (especially if more than one).

Ni- wtf is Ni?

Ni: sensing that something is going on without being able to put it into words, having a good or bad feeling about something for no apparent reason (e.g. knowing who's the bad guy in a movie even if he hasn't done anything bad yet), knowing something without knowing how you know it, and focusing on your goals and your future.

Ti: likes to figure out how things work, is good at synthesizing thoughts and taking things/ideas apart to understand the basic principle behind them, usually keeps an objective point of view, values logic. I think MBTI/Maths=Ti/the process of finding the greatest common divisor between ideas.

I think you're INFJ.

pureheart9

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. What makes you like/dislike a person?
I give the benefit of the doubt, and it takes a lot for me to dislike people, but it also takes a lot for me to like people. I don't get along with most people. Everyone is either too shallow, arrogant, or awkward. I know I seem really judgmental. I'm not denying that. As a teenage outcast who behaves relatively "normal" compared to most people of my social status, it's easy for me to find fault in others. But I can pretty much narrow it down to 3 types of people I can't stand. 1) Overly-accommodating people who fake a ridiculous smile and seem to think they're doing you a favor by talking to you. 2) Authority-obsessed people who can't admit when they're wrong and never listen to the opinions/suggestions of others. 3) The "awkward" social activist crowd that is obsessed with causes, usually something gender-related. I pretty much like everyone else, as long as they can hold a meaningful conversation. But I've found that not many people can, at least at my age.

2. What do you like/dislike about yourself?
I like that I have a very strong ability to visualize things in my head almost effortlessly. At one point I thought that everyone could easily come up with complex story ideas and play them in their head like a movie, or "think through" an entire song in their mind without singing or humming. I found this to not be true, which shocked me. Since then I've been very proud of this skill. I also like that I have no problem working alone on projects. Often times in school I find that everyone else is talking with their friends, wasting time, while I'm solely focused on my task. Sure, I'm often lonely, but I'm able to put those feelings aside temporarily. I like that I'm protective of others and I'm not afraid to stand up for people who are being treated unfairly, even if I know that I could get hurt as a result. I DISLIKE how vulnerable I am, or rather have been in the past. I've been in several abusive relationships in a single year, in which I was manipulated. I also dislike that I have a bit of an identity crisis. I never fit in anywhere as a kid so I've developed complex alter egos that conflict with each other. They are ESFP (I call her my Freudian id), INFP (hopeless romantic; has led me astray many times), and INTJ (the one I'm primarily using now). Another thing I hate is that although I'm very empathetic and compassionate, I have a hard time dealing with the negative emotions of others, specifically sadness. I never know what to do when my friends are crying. Oh, I don't like my lack of self control either. I'm overweight as a result.

3. How do others see you and how does that compare to how you feel?
I've found that most people see me as an unlikable standoffish b*tch when they are first starting to get to know me. I'm not social or bubbly, and I'm not at all passive. After they get to know me, they tell me I'm the sweetest girl they've ever met, and that I always have good intentions. I think this is because of my disregard for rules and authority, especially when another person is being antagonized. It makes me feel very misunderstood. Everyone assumes that I'm just seeking attention at first. I wish more people thought like me.

4.what do you enjoy doing?
I really enjoy being an essential part of a community or organization, especially if it involves a specific activity rather than just a belief or something. One of the best times of my life was when I trained in a martial arts class. I was so much more into it than everyone else, and I quickly got into the process of assisting the instructor. I like to rise to the top of the hierarchy in all my activities, but once I have authority, I do not at all abuse it. I use it to encourage, inspire, and protect others. Anyway, I'm rambling. Physical activity that alleviates aggression is good. So is writing, reading INTERACTIVE fiction (regular books bore me), and singing. Whatever I do, I need to be recognized for it.

5. What do you think about?
I mostly think about my future plans and goals. How I want to be at the top of my class in college. How I want to teach a self-defense class. I fantasize about what I'll look like, how I'll dress, and how different situations will go. I also think about ideas for stories and such, but not nearly as often. I did this a lot more a few years ago.

6. What do you long for in life?
I'm indecisive. Sometimes I want to make a difference in people's lives. Sometimes I just want to be loved. Sometimes I want recognition. All I know for sure is that I want adventure. An interesting, dynamic, invigorating life.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Reading function descriptions is useful, and I would recommend reading posts created by both types and see what resonates for you. This thread has some of the info I am referencing: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-jungs-introverted-feeling-description-3.html

[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] are INFP 4w5's (and I've no doubt they are INFP because if they're not, I'm not) and see if you feel any connection when you read some of their posts. You should feel a connection based on enneagram, but look at how they express their thoughts. How they reference emotions. Tell me what you get from that, if anything.

And let me think if there are any ISFJ 4's on here. (There are not many ISFJs on the forum.) There are more INFJs. Similarly, what do you think when you read their posts? [MENTION=6971]21%[/MENTION] identifies as INFJ 4w5. So does [MENTION=8888]CuriousFeeling[/MENTION] but she has not been active for a while. There are more. Which manner of thinking most resonates with you?

As for my own read on you, I don't know your posts well enough yet to feel confident. Atm, I can see arguments both ways. Do you know your instinctual subtype? (Let me know if you don't know what that is.) OA is sp/sx and SK is so/sp, and this gives them each a unique "flavor" imo. If you'd like to explore that, I can provide some links too.

pureheart9

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Reading function descriptions is useful, and I would recommend reading posts created by both types and see what resonates for you. This thread has some of the info I am referencing: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-jungs-introverted-feeling-description-3.html

[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] are INFP 4w5's (and I've no doubt they are INFP because if they're not, I'm not) and see if you feel any connection when you read some of their posts. You should feel a connection based on enneagram, but look at how they express their thoughts. How they reference emotions. Tell me what you get from that, if anything.

And let me think if there are any ISFJ 4's on here. (There are not many ISFJs on the forum.) There are more INFJs. Similarly, what do you think when you read their posts? [MENTION=6971]21%[/MENTION] identifies as INFJ 4w5. So does [MENTION=8888]CuriousFeeling[/MENTION] but she has not been active for a while. There are more. Which manner of thinking most resonates with you?

As for my own read on you, I don't know your posts well enough yet to feel confident. Atm, I can see arguments both ways. Do you know your instinctual subtype? (Let me know if you don't know what that is.) OA is sp/sx and SK is so/sp, and this gives them each a unique "flavor" imo. If you'd like to explore that, I can provide some links too.

I'm sx/so.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISFJ.

I don't even have to read your thread, I can see it in your face, if that is you in your avatar.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd suggest looking into ISFP also. The avatar does heavily suggest ISFx...
I'd suggest looking at e6 & e9 also.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISFJ from the posts I've seen.

Cygnus

Perhaps we can identify your PoLR, the function for which you have zero tolerance.

INFP has Se-PoLR (intolerence to stressful physical environments, lack of willpower, no desire for sensory stimulation).

ISFJ has Te-PoLR (unable to disregard emotional atmosphere, no desire to appeal to or comply with systems of external logic).

I vote INFP but you'll have to see which PoLR you identify with to find out for yourself.