• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraverted Feeler or Introverted Feeler - can anyone tell me the difference?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...overted-extraverted-feelings.html#post2378011 was pretty good at describing the differences.

Though (as I said in the thread), I think “self absorbed” probably isn’t a fair way to describe Fi. I’ve heard both “self-absorbed” and “self-aware”, but- though technically, both of these apply if you remove the common associations- the associations they both have hinder their application. “Self-aware” implies a certain degree of mindfulness/enlightenment (ironically, there’s a distinct lack of mindful self-awareness in the belief that one is inherently more mindful or enlightened as a direct result of being a Fi’er); whereas “self-absorbed” implies a degree of mindlessness in one’s focus on one’s self. The ‘focus’ is on the self- but how mindful that focus is depends on something that (imo) has almost nothing to do with 'type' ('mindfulness' will likely vary in manifestation, to be sure, but it is not quantitatively inherent in any 'type').

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extroverted feelers (who are dominant or secondary) will usually express their feelings directly. Introverted feelers will usually morph their feelings into another form: Ne for xxFP, Te for xxTJ.

Fe's will usually try to side with a majority principle or the standard "operating procedures" of their social circle or society at large. Fi usually couldn't care less about what the majority or group thinks and only cares what they feel about something.

Fe's to Fi's appear more superficial in their opinions and judgements. Fi's to Fe's appear too self obsessed, relativistic, and stubborn.

Here's Judge Judy showing her ESTJ's Fi and towards a very Fe girl (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R84Xw5CciGU) - the Fe girl believes in the principle that guys can't be intimidating to girls in all situations while Judy is more interested in the girl poking her nose where it doesn't belong.

Here's Obama showing his very Fe side and quoting Ghandi who is also Fe. Fe's will usually be more concerned with organizing the social order or trying to make everyone get along: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6uZFSj_ueM

I don't want to get into a whole thing, but I largely disagree with this. Fe users are by no means social robots. I agree that Fi is more relative and Fe is more steady. I think a major difference is that Fe gets more upset when others disagree with what they believe is right. It's what I love about Fe honestly. They like make change happen. Challenge and reform. Fi will speak out against an idea, but rarely directs it at an individual. (Not sure if that's true. I will call people out if they're like bullying or being harmful in front of me. Hmm)

^ and true to type I'm just talking through ideas about these functions and trying to solidify my own understanding.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Phewww..... i am glad there is no 'vs' in the title. This forum can't take another one of those arguments.

Actually they are kinda entertaining. F drama.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
There's nothing helpful about a post like this^ at all.

I have been reading your thoughts here and in other threads and find your interpretations and your typing based on outward-facing superficial qualities. Unless you are a very young INFP, your typings feel more ISTJ to me, so reading how you present your thoughts leads me to question your own type more than anything else.

Here is what I have found: the manifestation of the judging function is highly reliant on a pairing with the instinctual subtypes of the enneagram, as AGA pointed out above.

I "type" like an ISTJ? I'm not sure about that. Although I'm 5w4 which is more common in INTJ and INTP than INFP.

I'm not really as experienced at typing as some people around here as I've only read about for like a week. I've taken tests occasionally for like a decade which has always rendered INFP for me - no matter which test or when I've taken it. I've never taken an official test so it's possible I'm mistyped, but every description of INFP feels right to me.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be helpful with that post.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fe's destroy lives, they gossip, slander, libel, manipulate, ostracize... I don't blame you.

Ahhh...they only do this when unhealthy or immature. Sort of like how immature Fi types cam go around with this melodramatic maudlin poor me attitude and seek vindictive revenge on those who they feel victimized them.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
As they should...

No, not necessarily. It is a good idea to seek justice (that's actually Te talking, and why inferior Te can make Fi types vindictive) and I whole heartedly agree that people who have done wrong should be stopped, but there's nothing really productive about constantly feeling sorry for yourself and seeking petty revenge. Interestingly I understand what PB means, because I have seen this overstated immature Fi in an ISTJ before, who continually sought petty revenge on this forum because of what he saw as a kind of unfair Fe nepotism towards Ns and certain individuals. That's what Fi looks like troubled, and I completely understand, I find it difficult to back down from people who have personally crossed me (not people who disagree with me, people who antagonize or just done something awful)...but it's a waste of energy and frankly makes you look like a big baby to walk around with a constant attitude of self pity, it doesn't help you grow, even if you don't care if other people like it.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
This is a worthwhile thread with some great discussion. I have enjoyed reading several of the posts.

However, I did remove some posts because they were not conducive to the topic at hand and were getting farther and farther from the intent and spirit of the conversation.

I would also like to issue a reminder that it serves everyone best if we refrain from making unkind, derogatory blanket statements against any particular type or leading function.

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hmm, well thanks everyone, but I'm still a bit confused about myself. Am beginning to wonder if I am a feeler at all, to be honest. I don't manipulate people, in fact I can't even if I want to, and I don't get maudlin. I rant and rage a bit if I'm fed up, but if I'm sad or depressed, I honestly don't know what to do and wish someone would save me, help me figure out what's wrong. I like helping others, but tend to do that with analysis, questions etc. I am more warm than cold though, and a welcoming friendly sort of person. Still confused ... sorry!! I realise I've taken up a lot of time already but any more helpwould be appreciated :) thanks

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Hmm, well thanks everyone, but I'm still a bit confused about myself. Am beginning to wonder if I am a feeler at all, to be honest. I don't manipulate people, in fact I can't even if I want to, and I don't get maudlin. I rant and rage a bit if I'm fed up, but if I'm sad or depressed, I honestly don't know what to do and wish someone would save me, help me figure out what's wrong. I like helping others, but tend to do that with analysis, questions etc. I am more warm than cold though, and a welcoming friendly sort of person. Still confused ... sorry!! I realise I've taken up a lot of time already but any more helpwould be appreciated :) thanks

Hi, [MENTION=23754]KML[/MENTION] I really think [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] made some excellent points.

Also, please don't be under the impression that feelers are synonymous with manipulation. That isn't the case. Some feelers "can" manipulate but not all feelers "do" manipulate. A lot of what gets described in discussions tends toward the unhealthy state. A healthy, balanced version of any type is a far cry different than a psychologically imbalanced one.

I'd say that a logical course of action would be to hang around, reading other conversations and to watch some of the videos that [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] has posted on here for reference purposes. Discovering one's true type takes time. Also, at first, it's easy to get swallowed up in descriptions of types. These aren't nearly as useful as learning to understand the functions. None of us ever fit the descriptions a hundred percent.

I can't remember if you said you had taken a test or not, but that's a decent place to start. Hope this helps a little.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Read 'Fe' posts and 'Fi' posts and feel them out. One side is going to feel more natural to you. That's how I figured out my type. At the beginning whenever I read a post that makes me go "yes!" and I glance at the poster's type it's usually INFJ. :blush:

And maybe dig up one of those terrible Fe vs Fi threads. They're a bloodbath, but usually give a lot of insight into how the two functions operate.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Read 'Fe' posts and 'Fi' posts and feel them out. One side is going to feel more natural to you. That's how I figured out my type. At the beginning whenever I read a post that makes me go "yes!" and I glance at the poster's type it's usually INFJ. :blush:

I very much agree with this. If especially because people seem to think it's a good idea to bring up 'differences between Fi and Fe' when someone is trying to determine INFJ or INFP- and there could hardly be a worse way to go about it. I'd probably identify as INFP myself if I'd come here looking to figure out which type I was and I relied on the common 'understanding' around here of Fe to direct me to that answer.

I think it'd be far more helpful to come up with some definitive comparison of Ji introversion vs. Pi introversion- common obstacles, needs, etc. of each. Until such a thing can be compiled (without being polluted by all the egos involved), it's probably most effective to simply read many posts until one type starts consistently resonating the most.