• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Everyone else fits this system ... why not me???!!! Please help!!!

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hello type experts :) I love this system, and it has been so helpful for many of my friends, but I just don't fit. Its partly because I'm not clearly either an extrovert or an introvert, but the other elements are tricky to pick too. Not sure why, but would love some help?? The tests are just no good for me, I can't choose without an actual scenario, preferences are VERY hard to recognise in oneself (or at least, I struggle to find them in myself!) If you can help, please do ... THANKS!!!

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My response to that is that you are doing one of two things. One, you are not providing enough information, or two, you are debating yourself into oblivion. Either way, the answer would be to answer several questionnaires, which are here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type-/72050-questionnaire-compilation-thread.html

Could be anything. First thing I would ask is to which it is, not enough information or debating yourself into oblivion. Or it could be that there is enough information, but it is challenging to sort it. <--- That would be very useful. I think.

Or it could be that you have a clear definition of yourself, but that definition doesn't fit with any of the other definitions. I doubt this based on what you said. If this is true, I can probably type you right here and right now from experience and logic.

Passacaglia

Types aren't binary; each lettered pair is really a spectrum, and you could be near the center of each spectrum.

Or you could just be indecisive because your S is demanding specific scenarios from which to make decisions in context. :D

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
My response to that is that you are doing one of two things. One, you are not providing enough information, or two, you are debating yourself into oblivion. Either way, the answer would be to answer several questionnaires, which are here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type-/72050-questionnaire-compilation-thread.html

Could be anything. First thing I would ask is to which it is, not enough information or debating yourself into oblivion. Or it could be that there is enough information, but it is challenging to sort it. <--- That would be very useful. I think.

Or it could be that you have a clear definition of yourself, but that definition doesn't fit with any of the other definitions. I doubt this based on what you said. If this is true, I can probably type you right here and right now from experience and logic.

Great! Thanks. Umm, so I'd say of your two choices I am debating myself into oblivion. Please go for it, type me based on experience and logic.

Here's my answers to one of the questionnairres (picked randomly and because it seemed short-ish):
1. if you could have one mythical creature as a pet, what would it be? - any talking animal would be great!
2. What do you want to be when you grow up? (yes, written by a 26 year old ) - am too old to answer this
3. If you were a fruit or vegetable, what fruit or vegetable would you be? - Fruit - kiwi, Vegetable, tomato
4. What is your favorite beverage? beer if it's hot, tea if it's cold
5. You're having a cookout... what do you make? Cookout? I don't like cooking really ...
6. What's the most recent cool thing you've learned? That I have the same measurements as Marilyn Monroe :)
7. What portrayal of the future do you like the best? One where technology is destroyed and we have to get back to nature, real skills, real relationships
8. You're on death row... what's your last meal? A huge burger

And because that was a rather strange list, here's another one (more carefully picked!)
1. What is your MBTI type, Enneagram, Socionics, Temperament, etc.? How did you arrive at them--tests, introspection, "trying it on".. ? How confident are you that they fit--how well do they describe you, and what about them doesn't fit? What other types have you "tried on" or thought you were? - Umm, MBTI I really don't know - have tested estj, infj, infp, enfj, intp, istj ... prob all of them at one time. Enneagram I think I'm a Nine with a one wing, not 100 percent sure of that either. Tests, introspection, trying it on, have done all of these trying to figure it out. I have THOUGHT I was intp or infp or infj or perhaps istj. I seem a mix of all of these whilst also appearing to be an extrovert ... pretty sure I'm NOT entp, estp, entj, intj, isfj, isfp, istp
2. Why are you here? Why do you study typology? (Maybe some inspiration from here...) - Just fascinated by the whole thing.
3. What do you value? What do you value in your environment, in the world, in other people, in dialog? - I value people, truth, meaning and connection, fresh air, frankness and openness, no pressure or expectation, trust, a good discussion, getting to the nub of things.
4. How do you present yourself to the world, at work, in conversation (perhaps in your choice of clothing or word choice)? - I present myself as friendly, not obtrusive but not colourless either. In conversation I encourage, I like to welcome people, to attract them, I guess, but I'm not flashy.
5. What is your favorite color? Favorite suit of cards? What symbols and ideas are you drawn toward? Why do you think you're drawn to these? - I love colours in general, don't have a favourite, I like sprinklings of wildflower colours, pink and orange and cornflower blue and yellow. I use a lot of red in my home, cheers up the cream and wood ... Favourite suit of cards, Clubs, just like the shape. Symbols, not sure, not really a pictures person, more a words person. I like letters, names. Ideas, I like ideas for improvement, ideas on how to use what's around you to get a job done or to make something ugly into something beautiful, or to perfect a system for, say, education or commerce or government ...

Just found this one and it seemed like a good one

1. Which would come out on top in a battle... Zombies, Vampires, or Werewolves? And why? - Vampires, hands down. They have brains.
2. What is your idea of the perfect day? - Waking up listening to waves, it's sunny and I'm in a cabin on the beach, on holiday or perhaps just moved in ... I have books to read, places to explore, its all new so my imagination can run wild, and who knows what I might come across. No time constraints ... bliss!
3. What really is the correct way to pronounce potato and tomato? - putayto and tummarto, of course! (I'm british )
4. If you could live anywhere, where would you live (doesn't have to be a real place)? Narnia
5. What changes would you make if you were president/king/emperor/ruler of the world? I would try to return power to families, tribes and communities so they can rule themselves
6. Using only words that start with the letter S, describe yourself. - Sensible, Silly, Smart, Sweet, Strong
7. If you could be a member of the opposite sex for one day...what would you do? - Play rugby!
8. What is your biggest pet peeve? - Can't think of a serious one, but people that drive either really slowly in front of me or really fast behind me are on the list somewhere ..
9. If you could have any animal for a pet, what would it be? Any animal? Perhaps a monkey. Or an eagle.
10. Are you a night owl or an early bird? - Both. I'm TERRIBLE in the afternoons.

Phewf, that should be enough information, right?

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Types aren't binary; each lettered pair is really a spectrum, and you could be near the center of each spectrum.

Or you could just be indecisive because your S is demanding specific scenarios from which to make decisions in context. :D

Yes!!! It is a LOT easier to make decisions in context ... does that mean I'm likely to be an S iyo?

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp

1. Which would come out on top in a battle... Zombies, Vampires, or Werewolves? And why? - Vampires, hands down. They have brains.
2. What is your idea of the perfect day? - Waking up listening to waves, it's sunny and I'm in a cabin on the beach, on holiday or perhaps just moved in ... I have books to read, places to explore, its all new so my imagination can run wild, and who knows what I might come across. No time constraints ... bliss!
3. What really is the correct way to pronounce potato and tomato? - putayto and tummarto, of course! (I'm british :))
4. If you could live anywhere, where would you live (doesn't have to be a real place)? Narnia
5. What changes would you make if you were president/king/emperor/ruler of the world? I would try to return power to families, tribes and communities so they can rule themselves
6. Using only words that start with the letter S, describe yourself. - Sensible, Silly, Smart, Sweet, Strong
7. If you could be a member of the opposite sex for one day...what would you do? - Play rugby!
8. What is your biggest pet peeve? - Can't think of a serious one, but people that drive either really slowly in front of me or really fast behind me are on the list somewhere ..
9. If you could have any animal for a pet, what would it be? Any animal? Perhaps a monkey. Or an eagle.
10. Are you a night owl or an early bird? - Both. I'm TERRIBLE in the afternoons.

Jaguar

Great! Thanks. Umm, so I'd say of your two choices I am debating myself into oblivion. Please go for it, type me based on experience and logic.

Here's my answers to one of the questionnairres (picked randomly and because it seemed short-ish):
1. if you could have one mythical creature as a pet, what would it be? - any talking animal would be great!
2. What do you want to be when you grow up? (yes, written by a 26 year old ) - am too old to answer this
3. If you were a fruit or vegetable, what fruit or vegetable would you be? - Fruit - kiwi, Vegetable, tomato
4. What is your favorite beverage? beer if it's hot, tea if it's cold
5. You're having a cookout... what do you make? Cookout? I don't like cooking really ...
6. What's the most recent cool thing you've learned? That I have the same measurements as Marilyn Monroe :)
7. What portrayal of the future do you like the best? One where technology is destroyed and we have to get back to nature, real skills, real relationships
8. You're on death row... what's your last meal? A huge burger

And because that was a rather strange list, here's another one (more carefully picked!)
1. What is your MBTI type, Enneagram, Socionics, Temperament, etc.? How did you arrive at them--tests, introspection, "trying it on".. ? How confident are you that they fit--how well do they describe you, and what about them doesn't fit? What other types have you "tried on" or thought you were? - Umm, MBTI I really don't know - have tested estj, infj, infp, enfj, intp, istj ... prob all of them at one time. Enneagram I think I'm a Nine with a one wing, not 100 percent sure of that either. Tests, introspection, trying it on, have done all of these trying to figure it out. I have THOUGHT I was intp or infp or infj or perhaps istj. I seem a mix of all of these whilst also appearing to be an extrovert ... pretty sure I'm NOT entp, estp, entj, intj, isfj, isfp, istp
2. Why are you here? Why do you study typology? (Maybe some inspiration from here...) - Just fascinated by the whole thing.
3. What do you value? What do you value in your environment, in the world, in other people, in dialog? - I value people, truth, meaning and connection, fresh air, frankness and openness, no pressure or expectation, trust, a good discussion, getting to the nub of things.
4. How do you present yourself to the world, at work, in conversation (perhaps in your choice of clothing or word choice)? - I present myself as friendly, not obtrusive but not colourless either. In conversation I encourage, I like to welcome people, to attract them, I guess, but I'm not flashy.
5. What is your favorite color? Favorite suit of cards? What symbols and ideas are you drawn toward? Why do you think you're drawn to these? - I love colours in general, don't have a favourite, I like sprinklings of wildflower colours, pink and orange and cornflower blue and yellow. I use a lot of red in my home, cheers up the cream and wood ... Favourite suit of cards, Clubs, just like the shape. Symbols, not sure, not really a pictures person, more a words person. I like letters, names. Ideas, I like ideas for improvement, ideas on how to use what's around you to get a job done or to make something ugly into something beautiful, or to perfect a system for, say, education or commerce or government ...

3. What really is the correct way to pronounce potato and tomato? - putayto and tummarto, of course! (I'm british )

Phewf, that should be enough information, right?

Vampires, pets, and being the opposite sex for a day? What troll gave you those questions to answer?

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Vampires, pets, and being the opposite sex for a day? What troll gave you those questions to answer?

Just doing as told ;) Give me some better questions then!! I kind of agree ...

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Everyone else does not fit the system. Hence this subforum.

Yes of course Nicodemus. Although perhaps that is because online no-one can tell, whereas in real life ... its kinda obvious. Trouble is, none of my not-online friends are able to type me either. Which is annoying. I can accept being between two types, but being all over the shop kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing, and I think there is more truth in it than that ..

gromit

likes this
To me you at last sound like a P. I am the worst typist ever though so who even knows?

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
FINE THEN - here is some why's and why not's for each function:
Fe - yes: friendly, complimentary
no: caring about social rules
Fi - yes: sensitive to emotion/friction etc, takes things personally
- no: shy
Te - yes: likes efficiency, lists etc.
no: hates organising people, rubbish at supervision
Ti - yes: likes definitions, enjoys thinking, figuring things out and debating
no: not sure if I'm actually logical or just make things sound that way?
Se - yes: like to see things actually acheived, enjoy being busy and getting things done
no: don't notice things in my environment unless am purposefully focused directly on them
Si - yes: love memories, enjoy history and long standing truth, feel settled and comforted by routines for everyday stuff
no: don't have strong sense of smell, taste etc. Careless, messy, clumsy with details
Ne - yes: grasp concepts and make connections quickly
no: hate brainstorming
Ni - yes: aha moments one of my fave things, insightful (when focused)
no: tend to take things at face value, not able to /interested in predicting the future

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
To me you at last sound like a P. I am the worst typist ever though so who even knows?

Thanks gromit :) I think I'm more relieved when I can be a P, but I try to be a J - perhaps because my parents were both J's so I value efficiency and feel bad when wasting time (when someone's watching!)

Any other insights for me?

gromit

likes this
I don't know about functions. Sorry kiddo.

Why do you want a type?

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't know about functions. Sorry kiddo.

Why do you want a type?

'kiddo' eh :) I want a type because I think the system has some real truth in it and I'd like to benefit from it. I'm the kind of person who fits around others a lot, and I'd quite like to know/remember my own preferences. Have been a mum for a long time, sort of forgot! Also, I am wondering what to do for a job, so thought it might help to know what I'm actually good at and might genuinely enjoy, rather than what I am just capable of and could make the most of.

Forgetting functions, here's the simple version:
Extrovert - maybe, because I'm friendly, like to talk, warm and open
Introvert - maybe, because I like to work alone, hate interruptions and the telephone, can have a marvelous time just wandering about by myself or reading
Intuitive - maybe, because I tie things together well and think philosophically
Sensing - maybe, because I like to get things done, and because I tend to take things at face value rather than reading into them
Judging - maybe, because I like routines and get stressed when I'm late or wasting time
Percieving - maybe, because I like to wander without time pressures and enjoy exploring in general

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
no... everybody does NOT fit... that's the joy of being human :newwink:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok ok, but what's the point of this forum if it's not at least to TRY!

there's plenty of points that don't have to deal with sticking yourself in a box... enjoy watching the interactions, predict what's going to happen next... some of the members are pretty awesome :shrug:

in my thoughts, if you don't have at least one x in your type you're not doing it right :tongue:

Susurrus

FINE THEN - here is some why's and why not's for each function:
Fe - yes: friendly, complimentary
no: caring about social rules
Fi - yes: sensitive to emotion/friction etc, takes things personally
- no: shy
Te - yes: likes efficiency, lists etc.
no: hates organising people, rubbish at supervision
Ti - yes: likes definitions, enjoys thinking, figuring things out and debating
no: not sure if I'm actually logical or just make things sound that way?
Se - yes: like to see things actually acheived, enjoy being busy and getting things done
no: don't notice things in my environment unless am purposefully focused directly on them
Si - yes: love memories, enjoy history and long standing truth, feel settled and comforted by routines for everyday stuff
no: don't have strong sense of smell, taste etc. Careless, messy, clumsy with details
Ne - yes: grasp concepts and make connections quickly
no: hate brainstorming
Ni - yes: aha moments one of my fave things, insightful (when focused)
no: tend to take things at face value, not able to /interested in predicting the future

No offense but you seem to have a very black and white view of the functions. What you described above has little to do with what the functions are and more of the byproducts that they entail. It's better to think of functions holistically rather than isolated functions acting independently of one another. Furthermore, no one is going to fit perfectly into one type, rather it's a model of cognition that estimates how you perceive and judge the world. Start by analyzing pairs of J/P functions(Ni-Te,Fi-Se,Ti-Ne etc) rather than analyzing each function separately. Ask yourself, "How do I take in information and come to a conclusion based on the information that I gathered?" You have to be like a scientist: interested in what your cognition is doing at all times, taking notes on particular interactions that give you a picture on what functions you're using at such times. There's a lot of information on the internet on the functions themselves, study them, and keep on applying them to yourself until you come to a very close approximation of what type you are.

Just my thoughts. Good luck :)

gromit

likes this
'kiddo' eh :) I want a type because I think the system has some real truth in it and I'd like to benefit from it. I'm the kind of person who fits around others a lot, and I'd quite like to know/remember my own preferences. Have been a mum for a long time, sort of forgot! Also, I am wondering what to do for a job, so thought it might help to know what I'm actually good at and might genuinely enjoy, rather than what I am just capable of and could make the most of.
Yeah don't worry it was meant tongue-in-cheek!

Anyway, for me, I like to just take the parts of the different types that I relate to, esp the parts about areas of growth, and apply situations where I'm struggling. So it doesn't matter if I'm just one type or not, because there is useful info in multiple profiles.

As for what you're good at/enjoy, do you really need a personality type to tell you that? :) I bet you could list off a dozen of things off the top of your head.

Otherwise... time for introspection

:horror: