User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    ?
    Posts
    35

    Default

    the thing is, I'm good at lots of things ... just wondered what to hone in on at this stage.

    It seems I'm going to have to forget the system eh ... Thanks for your help tho!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Susurrus View Post
    No offense but you seem to have a very black and white view of the functions. What you described above has little to do with what the functions are and more of the byproducts that they entail. It's better to think of functions holistically rather than isolated functions acting independently of one another. Furthermore, no one is going to fit perfectly into one type, rather it's a model of cognition that estimates how you perceive and judge the world. Start by analyzing pairs of J/P functions(Ni-Te,Fi-Se,Ti-Ne etc) rather than analyzing each function separately. Ask yourself, "How do I take in information and come to a conclusion based on the information that I gathered?" You have to be like a scientist: interested in what your cognition is doing at all times, taking notes on particular interactions that give you a picture on what functions you're using at such times. There's a lot of information on the internet on the functions themselves, study them, and keep on applying them to yourself until you come to a very close approximation of what type you are.

    Just my thoughts. Good luck
    Ok, I'll try that, thanks

  2. #22
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Do you resonate with ENFP? It is just some vibes mostly, but it could fit you.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  3. #23
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    No one is gonna fit 100% into a type or function it's more about over arching patterns. if you focus on every situation and 100% of the descriptions then yah you're not gonna know. Some people are more middled than others. you sound like you want something to fit 100% and that's not gonna happen, unless you join brainwashing cults. those exist but they aren't related to typology and you have to be willing to do some weird shit and believe some odd things, and be ok with agreeing that everyone should have tile floors. me personally that sounds terrible. Just be you, if you figure out your type. Which you won't unless you stop thinking of exceptions.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    ?
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Do you resonate with ENFP? It is just some vibes mostly, but it could fit you.
    yes I think I do resonate with ENFP actually, but it's wierd as I'm so grown up and sensible and they are always portrayed as wild children, you know? Also, the one's I do know are SO flaky - I'm not like that. I'm quite realistic (I think?!) BUT, I am also very hopeful! I love down and out's, crazy people, you know, I aways thing they're the sanest ... I'm not FUNNY also, not like the famous ENFP's like Sandra Bullock. I'm a little like, say, Drew Barrymore, funny due to sincerity and clumsiness, but not ACTUALLY funny. Oh well, that's me.. I have very much appreciated your short but sweet comments, Gromit, and I LOVE your profile pic

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    ?
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    No one is gonna fit 100% into a type or function it's more about over arching patterns. if you focus on every situation and 100% of the descriptions then yah you're not gonna know. Some people are more middled than others. you sound like you want something to fit 100% and that's not gonna happen, unless you join brainwashing cults. those exist but they aren't related to typology and you have to be willing to do some weird shit and believe some odd things, and be ok with agreeing that everyone should have tile floors. me personally that sounds terrible. Just be you, if you figure out your type. Which you won't unless you stop thinking of exceptions.
    Yes, exceptions. Me thinking of exceptions. Is that a clue? Is that indicative of a particular function, as I DO think of exceptions ALL THE TIME. For me, there's always a reason, a loophole, something else to think through and either explore or close off (depending if I think it's good or bad, if you know what I mean).

    Any experts on the functions ... can you tell me if this gives you a clue? I don't mind not being a 'type' since clearly we are all individuals, as Brian once said, however, I feel suspect helping others by introducting them to this system and its insights, whilst saying I am somehow 'above' or 'outside' it .. surely if it's true for others (to some degree), it's true for me also (too some degree) ...

  6. #26
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Susurrus View Post
    No offense but you seem to have a very black and white view of the functions. What you described above has little to do with what the functions are and more of the byproducts that they entail. It's better to think of functions holistically rather than isolated functions acting independently of one another. Furthermore, no one is going to fit perfectly into one type, rather it's a model of cognition that estimates how you perceive and judge the world. Start by analyzing pairs of J/P functions(Ni-Te,Fi-Se,Ti-Ne etc) rather than analyzing each function separately. Ask yourself, "How do I take in information and come to a conclusion based on the information that I gathered?" You have to be like a scientist: interested in what your cognition is doing at all times, taking notes on particular interactions that give you a picture on what functions you're using at such times. There's a lot of information on the internet on the functions themselves, study them, and keep on applying them to yourself until you come to a very close approximation of what type you are.

    Just my thoughts. Good luck
    yep, plus if you wanted to you could probably come up to reasons why you're actually a cat based on the qualities of one but that does not make you a cat. This is what I was saying with you want it to fit 100%. I'm only good at typing people if I know them irl and see them interacting with others and it takes awhile for me to pick a type but i am 99% of the time correct. I collect info over time before make a decision on people, and that decision always has a chance to change. I look at the patterns over time not each event indiviudually if i did that i'd be just as confused.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  7. #27
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KML View Post
    Yes, exceptions. Me thinking of exceptions. Is that a clue? Is that indicative of a particular function, as I DO think of exceptions ALL THE TIME. For me, there's always a reason, a loophole, something else to think through and either explore or close off (depending if I think it's good or bad, if you know what I mean).

    Any experts on the functions ... can you tell me if this gives you a clue? I don't mind not being a 'type' since clearly we are all individuals, as Brian once said, however, I feel suspect helping others by introducting them to this system and its insights, whilst saying I am somehow 'above' or 'outside' it .. surely if it's true for others (to some degree), it's true for me also (too some degree) ...
    but anyone can find exceptions in the definitions that's my point, and like @Susurrus said you view of the functions are too black and white. I could find something I do and something I don't do with all the functions. We use all functions in our lives just our type tends to be our dominate ones what we're good at. and even those none of us fit 100%
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    ?
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yep, plus if you wanted to you could probably come up to reasons why you're actually a cat based on the qualities of one but that does not make you a cat. This is what I was saying with you want it to fit 100%. I'm only good at typing people if I know them irl and see them interacting with others and it takes awhile for me to pick a type but i am 99% of the time correct. I collect info over time before make a decision on people, and that decision always has a chance to change. I look at the patterns over time not each event indiviudually if i did that i'd be just as confused.
    Ok, so you are saying that I can only be typed in person? That sounds about right.
    In my defence, I do of course look at patterns over time, not just individual events, and have been 'collecting information' for some time now .. I was hoping to share some of it with someone so they could help me out here .. but no-one has asked me any questions and perhaps questions are not enough anyway .. as you say, irl is the way to do it ... thanks anyway!! and happy new year

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    ?
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Hey, I've figured it out. If anyone is interested ... I'm an INFP. I realised that when I put Ne in the context of Fi, it made sense of how I am most of the time. Also my obsession with Te made sense since it's the 'aspirational' function of the INFP. With regard to Si, I realised that perhaps that's why I find routines comforting and am happy to eat the same food all the time ... its not an area I care greatly about, but it's relaxing for me, and apparently Si is the 'relief' function of the INFP. Lastly then I realised that whilst I may come across as an ENFP when I'm being playful, I'm not Ne dominant, and I relate a lot more to the INFP self-descriptions (you know you're an INFP when ... ) than the ENFP. It makes sense that I would sometimes wonder if I'm ESTJ or ISTJ since they use the same functions, so maybe it's when I'm being super aspirational or something that I act like that!
    Anyway, just in case anyone is reading and this helps another person on the search ... that's me!!
    Likes gromit liked this post

  10. #30
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KML View Post
    Hello type experts I love this system, and it has been so helpful for many of my friends, but I just don't fit. Its partly because I'm not clearly either an extrovert or an introvert, but the other elements are tricky to pick too. Not sure why, but would love some help?? The tests are just no good for me, I can't choose without an actual scenario, preferences are VERY hard to recognise in oneself (or at least, I struggle to find them in myself!) If you can help, please do ... THANKS!!!
    It could be said that my test questions contain scenarios: how you behave at work, at play, in relationships...
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. type me! (please help!)
    By rumrunner in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2017, 07:08 PM
  2. my sister is a mystery to me, please help!
    By poppy58 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-09-2016, 01:01 PM
  3. Please tell me the Republican Strategist in this spot is not mainstream
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM
  4. "Does Everyone Else Know This?"
    By Eldanen in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 08:20 PM
  5. Not me this time : INTJ or INFJ
    By Thursday in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 03:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO