• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Everyone else fits this system ... why not me???!!! Please help!!!

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
the thing is, I'm good at lots of things ... just wondered what to hone in on at this stage.

It seems I'm going to have to forget the system eh ... Thanks for your help tho!!

- - - Updated - - -

No offense but you seem to have a very black and white view of the functions. What you described above has little to do with what the functions are and more of the byproducts that they entail. It's better to think of functions holistically rather than isolated functions acting independently of one another. Furthermore, no one is going to fit perfectly into one type, rather it's a model of cognition that estimates how you perceive and judge the world. Start by analyzing pairs of J/P functions(Ni-Te,Fi-Se,Ti-Ne etc) rather than analyzing each function separately. Ask yourself, "How do I take in information and come to a conclusion based on the information that I gathered?" You have to be like a scientist: interested in what your cognition is doing at all times, taking notes on particular interactions that give you a picture on what functions you're using at such times. There's a lot of information on the internet on the functions themselves, study them, and keep on applying them to yourself until you come to a very close approximation of what type you are.

Just my thoughts. Good luck :)

Ok, I'll try that, thanks :)

gromit

likes this
Do you resonate with ENFP? It is just some vibes mostly, but it could fit you.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No one is gonna fit 100% into a type or function it's more about over arching patterns. if you focus on every situation and 100% of the descriptions then yah you're not gonna know. Some people are more middled than others. you sound like you want something to fit 100% and that's not gonna happen, unless you join brainwashing cults. those exist but they aren't related to typology and you have to be willing to do some weird shit and believe some odd things, and be ok with agreeing that everyone should have tile floors. me personally that sounds terrible. Just be you, if you figure out your type. Which you won't unless you stop thinking of exceptions.

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Do you resonate with ENFP? It is just some vibes mostly, but it could fit you.

yes I think I do resonate with ENFP actually, but it's wierd as I'm so grown up and sensible and they are always portrayed as wild children, you know? Also, the one's I do know are SO flaky - I'm not like that. I'm quite realistic (I think?!) BUT, I am also very hopeful! I love down and out's, crazy people, you know, I aways thing they're the sanest ... I'm not FUNNY also, not like the famous ENFP's like Sandra Bullock. I'm a little like, say, Drew Barrymore, funny due to sincerity and clumsiness, but not ACTUALLY funny. Oh well, that's me.. I have very much appreciated your short but sweet comments, Gromit, and I LOVE your profile pic :)

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
No one is gonna fit 100% into a type or function it's more about over arching patterns. if you focus on every situation and 100% of the descriptions then yah you're not gonna know. Some people are more middled than others. you sound like you want something to fit 100% and that's not gonna happen, unless you join brainwashing cults. those exist but they aren't related to typology and you have to be willing to do some weird shit and believe some odd things, and be ok with agreeing that everyone should have tile floors. me personally that sounds terrible. Just be you, if you figure out your type. Which you won't unless you stop thinking of exceptions.

Yes, exceptions. Me thinking of exceptions. Is that a clue? Is that indicative of a particular function, as I DO think of exceptions ALL THE TIME. For me, there's always a reason, a loophole, something else to think through and either explore or close off (depending if I think it's good or bad, if you know what I mean).

Any experts on the functions ... can you tell me if this gives you a clue? I don't mind not being a 'type' since clearly we are all individuals, as Brian once said, however, I feel suspect helping others by introducting them to this system and its insights, whilst saying I am somehow 'above' or 'outside' it .. surely if it's true for others (to some degree), it's true for me also (too some degree) ...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No offense but you seem to have a very black and white view of the functions. What you described above has little to do with what the functions are and more of the byproducts that they entail. It's better to think of functions holistically rather than isolated functions acting independently of one another. Furthermore, no one is going to fit perfectly into one type, rather it's a model of cognition that estimates how you perceive and judge the world. Start by analyzing pairs of J/P functions(Ni-Te,Fi-Se,Ti-Ne etc) rather than analyzing each function separately. Ask yourself, "How do I take in information and come to a conclusion based on the information that I gathered?" You have to be like a scientist: interested in what your cognition is doing at all times, taking notes on particular interactions that give you a picture on what functions you're using at such times. There's a lot of information on the internet on the functions themselves, study them, and keep on applying them to yourself until you come to a very close approximation of what type you are.

Just my thoughts. Good luck :)

yep, plus if you wanted to you could probably come up to reasons why you're actually a cat based on the qualities of one but that does not make you a cat. This is what I was saying with you want it to fit 100%. I'm only good at typing people if I know them irl and see them interacting with others and it takes awhile for me to pick a type but i am 99% of the time correct. I collect info over time before make a decision on people, and that decision always has a chance to change. I look at the patterns over time not each event indiviudually if i did that i'd be just as confused.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yes, exceptions. Me thinking of exceptions. Is that a clue? Is that indicative of a particular function, as I DO think of exceptions ALL THE TIME. For me, there's always a reason, a loophole, something else to think through and either explore or close off (depending if I think it's good or bad, if you know what I mean).

Any experts on the functions ... can you tell me if this gives you a clue? I don't mind not being a 'type' since clearly we are all individuals, as Brian once said, however, I feel suspect helping others by introducting them to this system and its insights, whilst saying I am somehow 'above' or 'outside' it .. surely if it's true for others (to some degree), it's true for me also (too some degree) ...

but anyone can find exceptions in the definitions that's my point, and like [MENTION=19715]Susurrus[/MENTION] said you view of the functions are too black and white. I could find something I do and something I don't do with all the functions. We use all functions in our lives just our type tends to be our dominate ones what we're good at. and even those none of us fit 100%

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
yep, plus if you wanted to you could probably come up to reasons why you're actually a cat based on the qualities of one but that does not make you a cat. This is what I was saying with you want it to fit 100%. I'm only good at typing people if I know them irl and see them interacting with others and it takes awhile for me to pick a type but i am 99% of the time correct. I collect info over time before make a decision on people, and that decision always has a chance to change. I look at the patterns over time not each event indiviudually if i did that i'd be just as confused.

Ok, so you are saying that I can only be typed in person? That sounds about right.
In my defence, I do of course look at patterns over time, not just individual events, and have been 'collecting information' for some time now .. I was hoping to share some of it with someone so they could help me out here .. but no-one has asked me any questions and perhaps questions are not enough anyway .. as you say, irl is the way to do it ... thanks anyway!! and happy new year :)

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hey, I've figured it out. If anyone is interested ... I'm an INFP. I realised that when I put Ne in the context of Fi, it made sense of how I am most of the time. Also my obsession with Te made sense since it's the 'aspirational' function of the INFP. With regard to Si, I realised that perhaps that's why I find routines comforting and am happy to eat the same food all the time ... its not an area I care greatly about, but it's relaxing for me, and apparently Si is the 'relief' function of the INFP. Lastly then I realised that whilst I may come across as an ENFP when I'm being playful, I'm not Ne dominant, and I relate a lot more to the INFP self-descriptions (you know you're an INFP when ... ) than the ENFP. It makes sense that I would sometimes wonder if I'm ESTJ or ISTJ since they use the same functions, so maybe it's when I'm being super aspirational or something that I act like that!
Anyway, just in case anyone is reading and this helps another person on the search ... that's me!!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello type experts :) I love this system, and it has been so helpful for many of my friends, but I just don't fit. Its partly because I'm not clearly either an extrovert or an introvert, but the other elements are tricky to pick too. Not sure why, but would love some help?? The tests are just no good for me, I can't choose without an actual scenario, preferences are VERY hard to recognise in oneself (or at least, I struggle to find them in myself!) If you can help, please do ... THANKS!!!

It could be said that my test questions contain scenarios: how you behave at work, at play, in relationships...