• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or INTP ? Help me know so I stop obsessing over this stuff

Tarocchi

MBTI Type
XNTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just CAN’T stand not knowing what is my type for sure, which is so stupid.
I’m not going to respond to a questionnaire cause these are long and boring. I’m going to expose a few problematic points/characteristics about myself that make me doubt if I’m either an INTP or an ENTP. Or maybe something else? (doubtful) But I’m open to anything guys.

- I hate going out most of the time. About two or three times a year I get kind of an itch to go party but then I’m satisfied for a few months. When I get to the place of the party I know I have a few hours in front of me, in which I am the center of attention and the one who make people laugh like crazy but after like 4 hours I get back to being very introverted. I can’t control it somehow. (INTP idk)

- When I was young - about 8 years old - I was so obsessed with ornithology (study of birds) that I memorized all the species of birds from where I live in Canada. (With the help of two books about the subject.) Every single one of them. I could identify them just by the way they sang. Adults were like wtf. (INTP ?)

- I avoid talking to people if I can but I’m not bad at it. I actually kinda enjoy small talk since it’s not too personal. I’m also a great liar and I bullshit people really effortlessly. (ENTP ?) But I feel that when people are talking to me they are always interrupting my important thinking business. (INTP)

- I’m the fastest person I’ve ever known at assembling Ikea furnitures. I don’t even need instructions. It’s a weird talent… It’s like I already know how to. (I feel this means something but I'm not sure what)

- I’m pretty self centred and not very emotional. (Like at all !) I’ve got this cold quality about me and a resting bitch face, sadly. People who know me better often say I’m pretty nice tho. I’m not judgmental at all. Live and let live. I don’t integrate myself in other people’s lives. Some people like this about me, others don’t.

- I used to be physically very awkward like the stereotypical INTPs but it bothered me and I learned to dance. (All by myself !) It corrected this weakness I had. It helps being taken seriously.

- I have like one friend that I talk to because of univ. The worse is that I feel more comfortable this way ? Idk thats weird right ?

- I don’t really get along with introverted feelers as far as I can tell and if my analysis is right. I like extroverted thinkers the most.

- i’m dead scared of being seen as incompetent. This summer I worked in retail and while I’m confident about the fact I’m an intelligent person everybody agreed I was the worst they’ve ever seen at this simple, stupid job. I’m completely unsuited for the world. I’m the complete opposite of street-smart.

- I’m not sensible to criticism at all.

Sorry this is so long! (Also English is not my first language so forgive my errors !)

00c

Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm thinking INTP. I'm still reading into all of the functions and stuff as my understanding is still a little hazy even after reading so much into it, but how you talk about being with others seems more introverted than anything.
I'm actually either an ENTP or ENTJ and yeah, people say they're like black & white, but that's because they separate them as if they're polar opposites when they're not, they're both rationals, they've got quite a bit in common, but the differences to me aren't so clear cut as I can relate to both.
ENTPs are really outgoing and quirky, they like talking and joking in a more social sense and I would believe INTP to be a little more self-conscious and reserved, not as outgoing when it comes to many people being around, perhaps as quirky, but in a more introverted sense. I had these INTP friends on twitter and they're always coming up with different ways of looking at things, pretty off-the-wall and unique, they caught my eye for their ingenuity, their Ne, but in real life they're pretty reserved and they have pretty small circles of friends.
I've been typed as an ENTJ by another, even then I'm still not sure, probably. As an ENTx, I've got a LOT of acquaintances and I joke around a lot and I never stop talking, I could go on and on and on.
If you hate going out and especially if you don't go out for that long, that's a pretty tell-tale sign of being an introvert. Do you feel energized or drained by people? As an extrovert, people generally make me feel better, I can bounce my ideas off them and talk and joke and I don't really tire of it. An introvert would be able to talk and joke too, but they wouldn't want to be around people as much. My way of explaining this is so scattered, sorry, but yeah, extroverts are more energized around people, introverts are more drained by people.

Tarocchi

MBTI Type
XNTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for the response ! Most people around say that I'm extraverted because I'm not shy but I think I'm way more of an introvert. I think the MBTI introversion and the most common meaning of the term is different. (Can't say precisely how.)
Yeah I get what you mean about types being different but the same. With 16 types, it's easy finding huge similarities and repeating characteristics. I've always though ENTPs were more laid-back than ENTJs but I actually do not know any people with these types around me so I can't really help much. :mellow:

00c

Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENTP and INTP have the exact same functions just in a different order. The fact that you feel tired after being with people for 4 hours is a pretty introverted type thing, in fact, most everything you've listed is a quite introverted type thing, ENTPs are known for being quite social. Your one reason for being an ENTP is "I’m also a great liar and I bullshit people really effortlessly. (ENTP ?)", I wouldn't really associate this too much with being either an introvert or extrovert.
Do you like being in relationships, do you bore of people real easily, jump from idea to idea, event to event, are you always the liveliest? Introverts can be lively, don't get me wrong, they can even fool people for being extroverts, too, but they much rather be in their own world doing their own things alone for the most part while an extrovert is generally the opposite. Perhaps not too good an analogy, but an introvert would be fine walking at a park alone, an extrovert would feel a little out of place and lonely. Being shy is wrongly associated with being an introvert while being an extrovert is wrongly associated with being loud, bold and confident, I'd say. Hell, I'm an extrovert, but at times I'm in my own little world, not paying attention to no one and nothing but my own thoughts, I can appear shy, but I'm the most bold person I know but I don't always care to be lively.

Tarocchi

MBTI Type
XNTP
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=23686]00c[/MENTION]

Nah the walk in the park thing is great actually. I might definitely be an introvert since I feel a little wrong/out of place when I'm with people and more comfortable when I'm alone. When I got home from school years ago (I was a teenager then), far from people, I felt like I could remove a mask and I felt really light, even if my situation at school wasn't bad or anything. Wow so I'm probably INTP after all.

What do you mean by bold ? I can also be really bold and choleric at times actually. Do you mean like the way you communicate, you dress, your personality ? The thing you say about not being really lively and not caring to adjust to others (when you say you don't pay attention to anything else than your thoughts) seems much more ENTJ to me but maybe i'm just wrongly assuming that ENTPs are always playful and jumping super fast from idea to idea. You also give me a vibe of being really decided about things and forward, from the way you type. Which I also think is more ENTJ. But I could be wrong. :I

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Introversion and Extraversion only refer to the orientation of your dominant function, not the words' traditional definitions. You wonder if you lead with Ne (extraverted intuition) or Ti (introverted thinking). The former connects different ideas and is responsible for seeing potential (Ne users can fall prey to analysis paralysis, in which they are overwhelmed by numerous potential actions and thus remain inactive); the latter seeks to organize the world into a logical framework, and results in having an innate, logical blueprint against which users contrast information (Ti users are often described as anal, nit-picking, and overly-literal). Ti users usually excel at detailing processes step-by-step.

Tarocchi

MBTI Type
XNTP
Enneagram
5w4
ISFJ ?? Shit gimme reasons why I'm really curious
I'm not an F... For sure.
Plus introverted sensing does not sounds like me... But you might know more than I do.

Tarocchi

MBTI Type
XNTP
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=20757]Opal[/MENTION] No I'm the least nit picking person ever. Omg extraverted intuition it is? It's much more like me. I'm all mixed up now.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
[MENTION=20757]Opal[/MENTION] No I'm the least nit picking person ever. Omg extraverted intuition it is? It's much more like me. I'm all mixed up now.

A Ti user could bottle her/his objection and not outwardly nit-pick--this would presumably be the work of Fe (self-effacement for the sake of group harmony). Learning about the functions can be very disarming, as most type profiles rely heavily on stereotypes, and can result in more confusion than help.

Here are some very brief descriptions of the functions, if you're interested.

Tarocchi

MBTI Type
XNTP
Enneagram
5w4
What would be your guess ?
(Thanks for the link)

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
What would be your guess ?
(Thanks for the link)

I'll have to observe you more. I'm still fairly new to the MBTI, so I need more information than some veteran members.

00c

Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Introversion and Extraversion only refer to the orientation of your dominant function, not the words' traditional definitions. You wonder if you lead with Ne (extraverted intuition) or Ti (introverted thinking). The former connects different ideas and is responsible for seeing potential (Ne users can fall prey to analysis paralysis, in which they are overwhelmed by numerous potential actions and thus remain inactive); the latter seeks to organize the world into a logical framework, and results in having an innate, logical blueprint against which users contrast information (Ti users are often described as anal, nit-picking, and overly-literal). Ti users usually excel at detailing processes step-by-step.

Eh, it's still referring to the "traditional" definitions, not just the orientation, it's both. It's more-so the latter than the former, but it can make it easier to understand the function orders within a type.

I do think I'm an ENTJ actually and if so let me dispel this stereotype that we're all complete and entire douchebags, I can be quite a child at times.
I'm usually a jerk though and if I think you're ugly I'll probably say it.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Eh, it's still referring to the "traditional" definitions, not just the orientation. It's both.

Extravert (noun):
"an outgoing, gregarious person"
or (to draw from two sources)
"an outgoing, overtly expressive person"

Do you understand how one can be focused on the external world without being outgoing, gregarious, or overtly expressive? The I and E refer only to the orientation of the first function. How the functional preference manifests behaviorally can be influenced by conditioning, among other things.

00c

Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Extravert (noun):
"an outgoing, gregarious person"
or (to draw from two sources)
"an outgoing, overtly expressive person"

Do you understand how one can be focused on the external world without being outgoing, gregarious, or overtly expressive? The I and E refer only to the orientation of the first function. How the functional preference manifests behaviorally can be influenced by conditioning, among other things.

Outgoing can be synonymous with enjoying company.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Outgoing can be synonymous with enjoying company.

Many Exxxs do enjoy company, but there are circumstances that can cause them to appear traditionally introverted; health can factor heavily into behavior. I'm only pursuing this tangent in the name of building an irrevocably stable foundation of understanding of the MBTI.

00c

Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Many Exxxs do enjoy company, but there are circumstances that can cause them to appear traditionally introverted; health can factor heavily into behavior. I'm only pursuing this tangent in the name of building an irrevocably stable foundation of understanding of the MBTI.

I understand, but it's both, the words chosen are introverted and extroverted for a reason. Yes, they can be seen as playing into how the other functions are organized, but they're not only for that or for that mainly.
They're mainly there to establish whether a person is more withdrawn or sociable, but like I said before and unlike how you established, yes, they can help you also read the order of the functions and whether they're introverted or extroverted.
Even within the generalized descriptions provided by Myers Briggs, it's clear that they're more so to describe how "out there" a person is, rather than simply order of functions.

agspath

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
9w1
I just CAN’T stand not knowing what is my type for sure, which is so stupid.
I’m not going to respond to a questionnaire cause these are long and boring. I’m going to expose a few problematic points/characteristics about myself that make me doubt if I’m either an INTP or an ENTP. Or maybe something else? (doubtful) But I’m open to anything guys.

- I hate going out most of the time. About two or three times a year I get kind of an itch to go party but then I’m satisfied for a few months. When I get to the place of the party I know I have a few hours in front of me, in which I am the center of attention and the one who make people laugh like crazy but after like 4 hours I get back to being very introverted. I can’t control it somehow. (INTP idk)

- When I was young - about 8 years old - I was so obsessed with ornithology (study of birds) that I memorized all the species of birds from where I live in Canada. (With the help of two books about the subject.) Every single one of them. I could identify them just by the way they sang. Adults were like wtf. (INTP ?)

- I avoid talking to people if I can but I’m not bad at it. I actually kinda enjoy small talk since it’s not too personal. I’m also a great liar and I bullshit people really effortlessly. (ENTP ?) But I feel that when people are talking to me they are always interrupting my important thinking business. (INTP)

- I’m the fastest person I’ve ever known at assembling Ikea furnitures. I don’t even need instructions. It’s a weird talent… It’s like I already know how to. (I feel this means something but I'm not sure what)

- I’m pretty self centred and not very emotional. (Like at all !) I’ve got this cold quality about me and a resting bitch face, sadly. People who know me better often say I’m pretty nice tho. I’m not judgmental at all. Live and let live. I don’t integrate myself in other people’s lives. Some people like this about me, others don’t.

- I used to be physically very awkward like the stereotypical INTPs but it bothered me and I learned to dance. (All by myself !) It corrected this weakness I had. It helps being taken seriously.

- I have like one friend that I talk to because of univ. The worse is that I feel more comfortable this way ? Idk thats weird right ?

- I don’t really get along with introverted feelers as far as I can tell and if my analysis is right. I like extroverted thinkers the most.

- i’m dead scared of being seen as incompetent. This summer I worked in retail and while I’m confident about the fact I’m an intelligent person everybody agreed I was the worst they’ve ever seen at this simple, stupid job. I’m completely unsuited for the world. I’m the complete opposite of street-smart.

- I’m not sensible to criticism at all.

Sorry this is so long! (Also English is not my first language so forgive my errors !)

Hi! So this is going to be based off all the information you’ve provided. First and foremost I’d like to give you a high-five because we’re from the same country.

I was so obsessed with ornithology (study of birds) that I memorized all the species of birds from where I live in Canada. (With the help of two books about the subject.) Every single one of them. I could identify them just by the way they sang.

You cannot be Si dom because this is not a hobby you have maintained for years and years. You are not Ni dom because this is not a single minded passion you’ve honed over the years. That brings us to Ne! Pair Ti, Ne, and Si together and you’ve got a perfect system for memorizing and cataloging information. In your case, birds!

When I get to the place of the party I know I have a few hours in front of me, in which I am the center of attention and the one who make people laugh like crazy but after like 4 hours I get back to being very introverted. I can’t control it somehow.

Ne! Ne! Ne! You know you’ve only got a few hours so you want to make most out of it and you play up your Ne/Fe side to get others laughing with your slightly oddball humour. Some of the most funniest people I’ve known were either Ne doms or auxs.

i’m dead scared of being seen as incompetent.

Doubting your competency is something INTPs do all the time! Their Ne keeps making them doubt if they are capable enough.

But I feel that when people are talking to me they are always interrupting my important thinking business.

Ti users (INTP/ISTP) need quietness to think. So you’ll find that you get quieter and quieter as the conversation goes on, because as you are speaking you are simultaneously going back into your head and cataloging every single thing the person is saying, checking for accuracy.

I’m the fastest person I’ve ever known at assembling Ikea furnitures. I don’t even need instructions. It’s a weird talent… It’s like I already know how to.

This is such an INTP thing…When INTPs need to figure out something (aka how to put furniture together) they will not even look at the instruction manual (that more Si/Te thing) INTPs will piece together parts of furniture using their system building Ti and Ne to understand how parts fit together. You probably enjoy doing this because it’s like a fun puzzle. INTPs love puzzles!

Finally, if you are curious about everything you are an INTP.

PS. If you’re an INTP (Ne aux.) you probably have a million different tabs open on your screen right now…

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I understand, but it's both, the words chosen are introverted and extroverted for a reason. Yes, they can be seen as playing into how the other functions are organized, but they're not only for that or for that mainly.
They're mainly there to establish whether a person is more withdrawn or sociable, but like I said before and unlike how you established, yes, they can help you also read the order of the functions and whether they're introverted or extroverted.
Even within the generalized descriptions provided by Myers Briggs, it's clear that they're more so to describe how "out there" a person is, rather than simply order of functions.

:bye: