User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 44

  1. #1
    Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    10,064

    Default Need help determining my instinctual variant; also, tritype

    Instinctual variant is that one aspect of the enneagram where my knowledge is the weakest.

    I tentatively put Sp in my profile because I am the type of person with a good eye for potential dangers where others see no danger. Despite being a fairly impulsive risk-taker, I constantly evaluate a new situation (consciously, unconsciously, or both), scanning and analyzing every apparent variable and determining safety/danger. I won't necessarily back down from potential dangers, both physical and social, but I will always keep my eyes open, metaphorically speaking. But maybe that's actually Ne and I'm an NP in SP clothing.

    I am 95% certain I am a 9w8, but everything beyond that is a mystery.

    The more I read about 7, the more I identify with that type over 6 and 5, despite the fact that 7 is said to correlate mostly with extraverted MBTI types. However I think there are a great deal of misconceptions surrounding the 7 type--the philosophical party animal, for instance--although that summed me up from my late teens to my mid twenties.

    I think having an 8 wing for both 7 and 9 might explain where some of my more aggressive, dominating tendencies might come from. That seems to be one of the supposed contradictions about me in general: the passive, easy-going diplomat who occasionally becomes quite confrontational and will take charge of a group in a heartbeat if he sees no one else rising to that challenge. I probably resemble a meek, phlegmatic type more than I'd like, but at times I am anything but that.

    However, I've been wrong before.

    (Self-analysis seems to be an endless cycle around this forum.)

    Thoughts, anyone?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    I wish I could be of more help, but I'm sort of weak on tri type stuff, meaning that I haven't studied it and know very little about it. I do know that when I tested, I tested as a 9w8 with 5w4 being my next highest type and then I think it was a 3, but I can't remember for sure.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

  3. #3
    Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    10,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I wish I could be of more help, but I'm sort of weak on tri type stuff, meaning that I haven't studied it and know very little about it. I do know that when I tested, I tested as a 9w8 with 5w4 being my next highest type and then I think it was a 3, but I can't remember for sure.
    Could be. I think a lot of INFJs have 9 and 5 in their tritypes.
    Likes Ene liked this post

  4. #4
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,437

    Default

    Introverts with 7 fixes aren't unheard of at all -- I believe @gromit is one, though I could be imagining that. So if you identify most with 9w8/7w8/XwX then that seems fair to me. I'd thought you seemed more 5-ish, than 7-ish, but some of that could be you being ISTP, and IxTP being so heavily associated with 5.

    As for your heart fix, I'd definitely lean towards 3, over 2 or 4. Not sure about instinctual variants.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    Instinctual variant is that one aspect of the enneagram where my knowledge is the weakest.

    I tentatively put Sp in my profile because I am the type of person with a good eye for potential dangers where others see no danger. Despite being a fairly impulsive risk-taker, I constantly evaluate a new situation (consciously, unconsciously, or both), scanning and analyzing every apparent variable and determining safety/danger. I won't necessarily back down from potential dangers, both physical and social, but I will always keep my eyes open, metaphorically speaking. But maybe that's actually Ne and I'm an NP in SP clothing.

    I am 95% certain I am a 9w8, but everything beyond that is a mystery.

    The more I read about 7, the more I identify with that type over 6 and 5, despite the fact that 7 is said to correlate mostly with extraverted MBTI types. However I think there are a great deal of misconceptions surrounding the 7 type--the philosophical party animal, for instance--although that summed me up from my late teens to my mid twenties.

    I think having an 8 wing for both 7 and 9 might explain where some of my more aggressive, dominating tendencies might come from. That seems to be one of the supposed contradictions about me in general: the passive, easy-going diplomat who occasionally becomes quite confrontational and will take charge of a group in a heartbeat if he sees no one else rising to that challenge. I probably resemble a meek, phlegmatic type more than I'd like, but at times I am anything but that.

    However, I've been wrong before.

    (Self-analysis seems to be an endless cycle around this forum.)

    Thoughts, anyone?
    Ok man, I'm gonna come out and say it; I think you are mistyped 6w7 whom is sexual/self-preservation with social last. You fit the description to a T. After, all you talk about how you are always afraid and always scanning the environment for potential dangers, and this is self-preservation 6 as hell. The self-preservation 9 almost doesn't look like a self-preservation type at all. Self-preservation 9's are really chill. In fact, if you want me to paint a picture of the classic self-preservation 9, think of like the stoner guy on his couch eating Cheetos. Self preservation 9's are very calm, cool, and collect and tend to really not worry very much. To tell the truth, you really don't seem like a self-preservation 9 at all.

    On the contrary, you do seem like a classic sexual 6 with strong self-preservation secondary instinct. You tend to be very contradictory like a sx/sp 6; the sx/sp 6 tends to be naturally aggressive and that is how the sexual variant manifests itself in the 6. Sexual 6's tend to be very controlling, confrontational, dominant, and can often times want to be the guy that takes charge. However, you seem to have strong secondary self-preservation as well. The self-preservation 6's tend to have a defense mechanism of acting warm, friendly, and diplomatic towards others. So therefore, this creates an extremely conflicted type.

    Also, I think that the reason that you relate to 7 so much is because you are a 6w7 with a strong 7 wing. In addition, the sexual 6's often times tend to be much more worldly and hedonistic like 7's.

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Introverts with 7 fixes aren't unheard of at all -- I believe @gromit is one, though I could be imagining that. So if you identify most with 9w8/7w8/XwX then that seems fair to me. I'd thought you seemed more 5-ish, than 7-ish, but some of that could be you being ISTP, and IxTP being so heavily associated with 5.

    As for your heart fix, I'd definitely lean towards 3, over 2 or 4. Not sure about instinctual variants.
    Istp's with 7 fixes and that are core 7's aren't really that rare. 7's want to constantly experience new things, which is very congruent with his auxiliary function of Se.

  6. #6
    Nyarlathotep ESFJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,307

    Default





    1.(Personally, I agree with your current instinctual variant stacking from what I remember. Your energy seems largely insulated. This is the one I agree with.)
    2.(Perhaps the self perceived adventurous 7-ish flavor, is actually a product of this stacking.)
    3.(As for the last, if I recall correctly, you once typed as a 5, yes? Which integrates towards 8...this one seems the least likely imo, as I said, insulated. But I thought I'd throw it in regardless.)

    Just thought I'd drop those here for your consideration. Options are always nice.

    Anyway, contrary to disgusting stereotypes popular belief I see sp 9's as the most 6-ish 9's not at all exempt from mistyping as such(I do remember a certain someone doing that...). We're more nervous and wary(honestly, most sp firsts would be 6's if that alone constituted an e6) than the other 9 subtypes and only 2nd to the sx dom 9's, who give off a very 3 flavor due to a strong link to 3, as one of the least 9-like 9's. Succinctly, sp instinct begets a stronger link to 6 in 9's.

    When most think 9, I feel they erroneously elect to represent the entirety of 9 via social 9's or even sp/so 9's(who can look like p6's) to an extent. Couple this with some of the odder, highly unrepresentative stereotypes of sp doms as lackadaisical materialists, and thus the sp 9 "stoner"(Pfft, hardly.) is born. I never do grow tired of hearing that.

    As for your type, I never really did interact with you too much, but from what I witnessed, 9w8 seems correct for your core, as does the heart fix you currently display and I could perhaps see 6w5 as your head fix. Though 5w6 appears viable as well. I can't see 7 being as probable as either of those however.

    In regards to the instinctual variants, I prefer to treat them and the core type as a unit. If you're interested in that sort of take this is where I pulled the 3 descriptions above from: Nine Stacks | The Enneagram ...info from the underground.
    In that which is night to all things, therein the self-subjugated remains awake; but where all else is awake, that is night for the knower of the self.
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Also, I think that the reason that you relate to 7 so much is because you are a 6w7 with a strong 7 wing. In addition, the sexual 6's often times tend to be much more worldly and hedonistic like 7's.
    I suggested that as his core as well.
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

  8. #8
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    I suggested that as his core as well.
    This guy isn't a 7, that's for sure.

  9. #9
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corsiva View Post




    1.(Personally, I agree with your current instinctual variant stacking from what I remember. Your energy seems largely insulated. This is the one I agree with.)
    2.(Perhaps the self perceived adventurous 7-ish flavor, is actually a product of this stacking.)
    3.(As for the last, if I recall correctly, you once typed as a 5, yes? Which integrates towards 8...this one seems the least likely imo, as I said, insulated. But I thought I'd throw it in regardless.)

    Just thought I'd drop those here for your consideration. Options are always nice.

    Anyway, contrary to disgusting stereotypes popular belief I see sp 9's as the most 6-ish 9's not at all exempt from mistyping as such(I do remember a certain someone doing that...). We're more nervous and wary(honestly, most sp firsts would be 6's if that alone constituted an e6) than the other 9 subtypes and only 2nd to the sx dom 9's, who give off a very 3 flavor due to a strong link to 3, as one of the least 9-like 9's. Succinctly, sp instinct begets a stronger link to 6 in 9's.

    When most think 9, I feel they erroneously elect to represent the entirety of 9 via social 9's or even sp/so 9's(who can look like p6's) to an extent. Couple this with some of the odder, highly unrepresentative stereotypes of sp doms as lackadaisical materialists, and thus the sp 9 "stoner"(Pfft, hardly.) is born. I never do grow tired of hearing that.

    As for your type, I never really did interact with you too much, but from what I witnessed, 9w8 seems correct for your core, as does the heart fix you currently display and I could perhaps see 6w5 as your head fix. Though 5w6 appears viable as well. I can't see 7 being as probable as either of those however.

    In regards to the instinctual variants, I prefer to treat them and the core type as a unit. If you're interested in that sort of take this is where I pulled the 3 descriptions above from: Nine Stacks | The Enneagram ...info from the underground.
    That website's description of a 9 sounded more like a self-preservation 6 to me.

  10. #10
    Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    10,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Introverts with 7 fixes aren't unheard of at all -- I believe @gromit is one, though I could be imagining that. So if you identify most with 9w8/7w8/XwX then that seems fair to me. I'd thought you seemed more 5-ish, than 7-ish, but some of that could be you being ISTP, and IxTP being so heavily associated with 5.

    As for your heart fix, I'd definitely lean towards 3, over 2 or 4. Not sure about instinctual variants.
    I've never ruled out 5 completely, but I arbitrarily typed myself as a 5 before I had a strong working knowledge of enneagram theory. This was around the same time I was mistyping as INFJ and INTP, incidentally.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Ok man, I'm gonna come out and say it; I think you are mistyped 6w7 whom is sexual/self-preservation with social last. You fit the description to a T. After, all you talk about how you are always afraid and always scanning the environment for potential dangers, and this is self-preservation 6 as hell. The self-preservation 9 almost doesn't look like a self-preservation type at all. Self-preservation 9's are really chill. In fact, if you want me to paint a picture of the classic self-preservation 9, think of like the stoner guy on his couch eating Cheetos. Self preservation 9's are very calm, cool, and collect and tend to really not worry very much. To tell the truth, you really don't seem like a self-preservation 9 at all.

    On the contrary, you do seem like a classic sexual 6 with strong self-preservation secondary instinct. You tend to be very contradictory like a sx/sp 6; the sx/sp 6 tends to be naturally aggressive and that is how the sexual variant manifests itself in the 6. Sexual 6's tend to be very controlling, confrontational, dominant, and can often times want to be the guy that takes charge. However, you seem to have strong secondary self-preservation as well. The self-preservation 6's tend to have a defense mechanism of acting warm, friendly, and diplomatic towards others. So therefore, this creates an extremely conflicted type.

    Also, I think that the reason that you relate to 7 so much is because you are a 6w7 with a strong 7 wing. In addition, the sexual 6's often times tend to be much more worldly and hedonistic like 7's.



    Istp's with 7 fixes and that are core 7's aren't really that rare. 7's want to constantly experience new things, which is very congruent with his auxiliary function of Se.
    Outwardly, most people who know me see a somewhat lackadaisical, laid back dude who tends to go with the flow more often than not. I never said I was afraid, I just tend to be a lot more aware of my surrounding environment than people realize. For instance, I can be in conversation with someone and appear detached, yet repeat everything back to the other person. This happens a lot with my wife--she'll yell at me for not listening, but then I'll repeat what she just said. "Oh...well you didn't look like you were paying attention"

    I'm not saying you're wrong and I do appreciate your analysis, btw.

    Another thing--if and when I act warm and diplomatic toward people, its not defensively. That's always been my natural way of interacting with people, although there is a slightly cold, calculated side to me that also shows often--I am a walking contradiction in that regard.

    I also wouldn't say aggression comes naturally to me. I can be forceful and persuasive when I need to, but usually aggression, whether physical or verbal, is not my primary approach to people and the world around me. Take charge? Yes, as I said earlier, I can and will, but usually only when no one else has stepped up to lead. I'd still much rather say in the background doing my own thing.

    I don't think 6 is my core, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corsiva View Post
    Self-pres/Sexual

    This subtype is self-effacing also, but is generally more assertive. They may be the subtype of Nine which is most aware of the boundaries between themselves and others and at the same time, possibly the most frustrated when those boundaries are violated. They can be aware of being walked over and they might even be aware of the anger it causes, but they become frustrated with their seeming inability to control this pattern. This is true, to some degree, of all Nines, but with the self-pres/sexual instinctual stacking, there seems to be a complex and interesting balance between the withdrawing energy caused by the dominant self-pres instinct and the assertive energy of the sexual instinct. This combination seems to raise consciousness of this dynamic.

    Getting healthy for this subtype, and for all Nines, involves becoming aware of this dynamic and realizing they do have the power to control their boundaries. Part of this must come from the realization on the part of the Nine that they have invited this overstepping of their boundaries from others by not defining them.
    Close relationships will usually work or not for this subtype depending on how well they deal with this issue
    .



    1.(Personally, I agree with your current instinctual variant stacking from what I remember. Your energy seems largely insulated. This is the one I agree with.)
    2.(Perhaps the self perceived adventurous 7-ish flavor, is actually a product of this stacking.)
    3.(As for the last, if I recall correctly, you once typed as a 5, yes? Which integrates towards 8...this one seems the least likely imo, as I said, insulated. But I thought I'd throw it in regardless.)

    Just thought I'd drop those here for your consideration. Options are always nice.

    Anyway, contrary to disgusting stereotypes popular belief I see sp 9's as the most 6-ish 9's not at all exempt from mistyping as such(I do remember a certain someone doing that...). We're more nervous and wary(honestly, most sp firsts would be 6's if that alone constituted an e6) than the other 9 subtypes and only 2nd to the sx dom 9's, who give off a very 3 flavor due to a strong link to 3, as one of the least 9-like 9's. Succinctly, sp instinct begets a stronger link to 6 in 9's.

    When most think 9, I feel they erroneously elect to represent the entirety of 9 via social 9's or even sp/so 9's(who can look like p6's) to an extent. Couple this with some of the odder, highly unrepresentative stereotypes of sp doms as lackadaisical materialists, and thus the sp 9 "stoner"(Pfft, hardly.) is born. I never do grow tired of hearing that.

    As for your type, I never really did interact with you too much, but from what I witnessed, 9w8 seems correct for your core, as does the heart fix you currently display and I could perhaps see 6w5 as your head fix. Though 5w6 appears viable as well. I can't see 7 being as probable as either of those however.

    In regards to the instinctual variants, I prefer to treat them and the core type as a unit. If you're interested in that sort of take this is where I pulled the 3 descriptions above from: Nine Stacks | The Enneagram ...info from the underground.
    Everything I bolded in that quote almost perfectly describes me.

    Thank you for the link.
    Likes ESFJ liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. [Inst] Help me determine my instinctual variant
    By Turiddu in forum Instinctual Subtypes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-10-2017, 08:28 AM
  2. [Enne] Need help determining my type
    By PurpleFlowers54 in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2016, 03:49 PM
  3. Need help determining my enneagram type
    By PurpleFlowers54 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2016, 10:34 AM
  4. help with my instinctual variant...
    By CatBalou in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2013, 09:40 PM
  5. [Inst] How to determine my instinctual variant(s)?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Instinctual Subtypes
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO