User Tag List

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default How does acting different in different environments matter?

So I took 3 tests all labeling me as a ENFP. Still, self-awareness and trying to answer with my true emotions can be tricky.

I came to the conclusion that I do tend to behave a bit differently depending on where I'm in. If I'm at home I'm a bit irresponsible, less talkative and not very affectionate for the most part (even though I love my family and they know I love them).

If I'm with my "true friends" I'm the king of charisma, silliness and overall awesomeness (yes, I got an ego, that much is true) even though I always try to not make others feel uncomfortable (quite the opposite).

When I'm with outside of these two groups I'm either meeting or interacting with new people/strangers (where I'm a nice guy that doesn't like to be told what to do) or I'm with my acquaintances (some ranking higher on the friend scale than others) that seem to generally think I'm a nice guy with an ego but tend to misinterpret my intentions a hell of a lot. Maybe I call them acquaintances (and not friends) because they tend to have a preconception of who I am that isn't really true. For example a lot of them deem me as stubborn in arguments and tell me I'm always trying to be in the minority and disagree on purpose.

It's due to these discrepancies that I find that if I took the test for each of these different environments and how I regard people and think about them, I'd score differently. For example, questions about decision making are always very tough for me to answer. I consider myself an intelligent person that doesn't jump to conclusions for example. That doesn't sound very ENFP does it?

Can anyone relate? Is there any more indepth MBTI test online out there? Is there a sure way to find out my MBTI personality?

And for the sake of argument, do you also behave (extremely) different depending on your environment?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Hey. You're Parker Lewis. You can't lose.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    FiSi

Maybe this is an E thing? Introverts are said to be more in contact with their inner thoughts and the "true" personality.

As an introvert I do very much introspection and have always been quite sure about what I am inside. I recognize that, yes, I do behave quite differently in different contexts (I use different functions and can often behave, for example, ENFPish or INTPish), but the different behaviour does not depend on or change my true personality - some kind of correlation always exists, of course - but it's rather adapting to the situation. My actions are (almost?) wholly related to my actual personality only when I'm alone or with my extremely close friends.

Actions stem from the personality and they adapt and change depending on the context, but the thing doesn't work the other way - or works, but the time needed is considerable.

(I don't know how much you have already done it, but) I suggest introspection.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I took the online test twice again, and I don't know if it's the selfawareness but I got ESFP and ESTP :confused:

I mean, how am I supposed to answer to "You prefer to act immediately rather than speculate about various options" ?? Everyone speculates about different outcomes when making a decision, right?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I took the online test twice again, and I don't know if it's the selfawareness but I got ESFP and ESTP :confused:

I mean, how am I supposed to answer to "You prefer to act immediately rather than speculate about various options" ?? Everyone speculates about different outcomes when making a decision, right?
    So, you think it was a trick question?
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    xNTJ

I remember learning in one of my psych classes about a concept called "locus of control"... if I remember this correctly, people who have a more "external" locus of control are more likely to act differently with different social groups (ie friends vs. parents vs. SO, etc) than people with an "internal" locus. The external locus people tend to be more fluid in their personality based on the situation or environment they're in.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by TrueHeart View Post
    So, you think it was a trick question?
    Well I realize it is, but I don't know what should be the criteria used to answer it :confused:

I actually found a test that I liked a lot more since the answers had a range rather than being YES or NO. Oh and there was a neutral answer. This test didn't feel as biased and was a lot more extensive. My results :

Extroverted (E) 64.71% Introverted (I) 35.29%
    Intuitive (N) 58.82% Sensing (S) 41.18%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Perceiving (P) 75.86% Judging (J) 24.14%

Type 1 Perfectionism |||| 16%
    Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||| 53%
    Type 3 Image Awareness |||||||||||||||||| 76%
    Type 4 Sensitivity |||||||||||| 50%
    Type 5 Detachment |||||||||| 36%
    Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||| 56%
    Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||| 40%
    Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||||||| 76%
    Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||| 60%

Btw the strength of the function letters in the tests I scored ESFP and ESTP where roughly 1% so I guess I was on the threshold.

What does this last one mean?

MBTI
    enfp

everyone does that.

i mean, everyone acts different with their family, than they do with strangers or friends for the most part.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by MedGirl View Post
    I remember learning in one of my psych classes about a concept called "locus of control"... if I remember this correctly, people who have a more "external" locus of control are more likely to act differently with different social groups (ie friends vs. parents vs. SO, etc) than people with an "internal" locus. The external locus people tend to be more fluid in their personality based on the situation or environment they're in.
    I always knew this, but never heard it defined scientifically. I call the people who adapt to their company "friendly," and those who always act the same "assholes."