User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 55

  1. #21
    Member Gladius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII Ni
    Posts
    47

    Default

    @Legion
    Perhaps not, but then it's arguable that if you don't fit a professional description of the type you're typed as, then you are most likely not that type.

  2. #22

    Default

    I definitely see a lot of Fi in your descriptions, so I would start with guessing xxFP. I know you say your Se is low and that you don't enjoy doing things with your hands, but I haven't seen much evidence of Ne either. You seem very grounded and practical, so while there's no reason to doubt xnfp, I'd also take a look at xsfp. Don't over think the functions too much in this - just try it on to see if it fits.

    Second, I wouldn't etch the introverted part in stone. It sounds like you don't really relate to your peers (which could be for any number of reasons unrelated to personality type). But I don't know how you would act in a situation where you felt comfortable around people. I would suggest going through the extroverted versions as well. So, enfp, info, esfp, isfp. See how those fit.
    Likes Gladius liked this post

  3. #23
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
    @Legion
    Perhaps not, but then it's arguable that if you don't fit a professional description of the type you're typed as, then you are most likely not that type.
    Yeah but there are only 16 types and bilions of people. You're not going to be able to box everyone in too easily.

    Mind you, I just read an ISTJ description and I did relate quit well to various parts of it, like a focus on honesty and integrity.
    Likes Gladius liked this post

  4. #24
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
    @highlander , who's the author of this topic: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...atedworld.html has made some interesting statements about the INFP personality type.

    I'd like to discuss the following points:



    Once home, I'll check more about the profile of Highlander, but especially @SolitaryWalker aswell.
    For if this is a developed Si, I'd understand why I came to believe I was a sensing type, and so why others' have typed me as one. But one thing has to be stated: Assuming this and more is all Si (Memorizing the Data of the events and after memorizing it by seeing how others' have done, then being capable of fine-justing it to how I want to be / do the exact same, e.g. when it comes to moderating different kind of people in online communities) then I may have overestimated by Te side. While it isn't weak, it isn't strong either. That's what I believe, for now at least. But as said before, I'll check into that more later.
    @simulatedworld was the author.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  5. #25
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
    @OrangeAppled
    Interesting opinion. When I get home I will check up on the ISFJ personality more closely, but for now I've something else to say:

    Although you suggested me to let go of the Fe-Fi stereotypes, I feel more prone to Fi-Te than Fe-Ti.
    Assuming I've Fe, it means that I've Ti. But Ti style of thinking doesn't sound like me, nor does the Fe style of feeling sound like me.
    An ISFJ is different from an ESFJ however, but they still have the 4 same cognitive functions, just in slightly different order.
    Although my typing isn't the best, I'm inclined to believe my mother is an ESFJ for various reasons, one would be her generousity that always clash with my beliefs. It kind of feels like I'm the stingy, self-absorbed person who wants to be given, whereas she's the generous, selfless person who wants to give and can't understand why people wouldn't appreaciate her concerns. And since ISFJ and ESFJ both share the same functional stack just in slightly different order, yet I feel like the complete opposite of her, it makes me highly doubt being an ISFJ.

    Therefore I've doubted both Ti and Fe possiblities.
    This is an often used method of understanding type, and IMO, it is totally wrong. No types "have" the same functions. Your dominant function is your ego and the other functions exist in relation to it - these are mental attitudes in your psychology. In reality, we all use many forms of thought processes that do not all neatly fall under 8 categories. Your type is the prevalent attitude in your psychology that affects your visible personality.

    An ISFJ wouldn't relate heavily to Ti style thinking... But I'd see a lot of INFPs who do, because it's Introverted Judging, and they are grouped by Jung for a reason. They have a similar attitude, even if they prefer a different way of reasoning. If you relate to ISTJs but feel you prefer Feeling (value motivated) over Thinking (impersonal classification), then ISFJ makes the most sense. "Value systems" are not the sole domain of INFPs or even Feeling types, and honestly, IxFPs rarely experience it as a "system" (although I may use that term in the context of typology discussions, I would never describe myself as having a "value system"; to me, that phrase sounds like Je mentality).

    MBTI is a "best fit" system, as no description will fully and accurately capture you as an individual. The key is to look past details (which serve to illustrate) and see an overall, basic mentality each type is trying to capture.

    Everyone keeps noting how "Si heavy" you come across, and yet, an INFP's ego has Si pretty far down the totem pole, so to speak. Why not consider being a Si-dominant type? IMO, finding your dominant and then considering the auxiliary is a far more accurate way of typing, because looking at whole function stacks is misleading as to how type works and how functions will appear/be experienced in relation to one's ego.

    Don't look at whole ISFJ profiles, which have a strong bias towards American Women in them (male ISFJs may not have the "hostess, caretaker" flavor of Fe they often give in ISFJ profiles. Try reading Jung's & Van Der Hoop's descriptions of the Introverted Sensing Type and other profiles which talk about Si-doms. Lenore Thompson's book is pretty good to use in this way, as she discusses type by the dominant function, and then breaks them down further by auxiliary.

    Also consider if you are a dominant Pi (introverted perceiving) or Ji (introverted rational aka "judging") type. The mentalities of these are very different. Pi types use Je and Ji types use Pe, and so all IxxJs and all IxxPs, regardless of function, respectively share an "attitude". This is because their mentality is structured similarly even if they use different functions. Without grasping this, people come to many erroneous conclusions about type, as they tend to oversimplify "use of functions" & use that as indicators of type.

    IMO, if you relate more to an ISTJ than ISFP, then you're probably an ISFJ, not INFP. It doesn't matter if ISTJs and INFPs "have the same functions" - because really, they have very different "roles" in relation to their ego, and this results in a very different mentality. The ISTJ has an "Pi+Je" mentality. Whereas INFPs and ISFPs share the same function preference for the ego, and they both have a Ji+Pe mentality, even if their perceiving preferences are not exactly the same.

    EDIT: Carer to explain further why you've ruled out ISTJ...?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Gladius liked this post

  6. #26
    Member Gladius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII Ni
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Thanks for the latest comments.
    @OrangeAppled

    I know I come over as Si heavy although it's the tertiary function of an INFP. That's why I found reassurance in the "INFP's who have (strongly) developed their SI" script. Then again, it's arguable that Fi comes in the tertiary stack of the ISTJ. Checking the cognitive tests I shared at question 0, it's no doubt that Fi, Si, Te comes in that strength of order. Unless I of course, accidently made myself appear better (How I want to be) than how I truely am. But assuming that isn't the case, Fi, Si, Te comes in that strength of order. Young as I am, I'd assume that I've mainly developed my dominant function thus far in life, or normally should have. And since the Fi has always been scored high, even highest I'd assume it's my most developed function. Then the issue is that Si is my auxillary, not Ne (which should be my Auxillary if I'm an INFP). I'd highly believe this is Ne "Whenever I'm onto something I see lots of different possibilities. At times, I can be so sure that one is the correct solution / path / ... for some time until I'm sudden struck by a feeling that tells me "What if it isn't the right...?" and I start to consider the possibilities having an ever lower percentage of happening, leading me to uncertainty what decision to make." > Or something along this Ne was described for INTP's and INFP's when I read it once, and it applied good enough to me that I managed to memorize it... somewhat. (I've difficulties remembering quotes, statements etc. In fact I only remember things I don't need to remember at the given time.) Truth to be told, I don't understand Ne and Ni that well, therefore having Si this strong would make me believe I'm a Sensor type. But then the issue lies that for me to be a Sensor type with Introverted Feeling as Dominant, My auxillary would be Extroverted Sensing which I'm confident it's not. That's why I ruled out the possibilities of Being a Sensor, since it'd give me Extroverted Sensing rather than Introverted Sensing (Except for well, ISTJ which I'll come to later). I also have difficulties when it comes to assertiveness and applying "cold logic" to critisize someone, except when I get angry.


    ISTJ; There were a couple of reasons as to why I ruled out that possibility.
    In a nutshell They're defined as: (From my own subjective experience, of course)


    Thoughts?

  7. #27
    Member Gladius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII Ni
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ida View Post
    I definitely see a lot of Fi in your descriptions, so I would start with guessing xxFP. I know you say your Se is low and that you don't enjoy doing things with your hands, but I haven't seen much evidence of Ne either. You seem very grounded and practical, so while there's no reason to doubt xnfp, I'd also take a look at xsfp. Don't over think the functions too much in this - just try it on to see if it fits.

    Second, I wouldn't etch the introverted part in stone. It sounds like you don't really relate to your peers (which could be for any number of reasons unrelated to personality type). But I don't know how you would act in a situation where you felt comfortable around people. I would suggest going through the extroverted versions as well. So, enfp, info, esfp, isfp. See how those fit.
    @Ida
    Thanks for your opinion.

    About the Introversion, believe I'm more fit in that category due to socializing only comes to me with effort. I do not mind being alone and answers "yeah". "Ok. "Yeah" whenever someone goes on and on about things I do not find necessary to hear. I'm also only doing Work-home, work-home routine. I'm never out socializing with people (inclusive friends) for I'd rather play a video game or something than doing that. I usually score 100% on the E-I tests, and I'd kind of say I'm a Double Introvert due to being an Introverted Introvert (Unless of course, the introversion in MBTI is unrelated to Introversion in general, but refers primairly to the cognitive functions).

    Also, I've checked on some ISFP, ESFP, ENFP descriptions, but due to lack of Ne (?) & Se I do not think it fits me very well. I'll have to check up on Ne better to see how it's defined.

  8. #28
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post

    ISTJ; There were a couple of reasons as to why I ruled out that possibility.
    In a nutshell They're defined as: (From my own subjective experience, of course)


    Thoughts?
    These are my thoughts on how each point does (or rather doesn't) relate to myself.

    Again, don't worry about fitting to a description. Rather, collect information from a variety of sources describing each function, to get a better understanding of Si and Fi (and the other functions).

    Also, as has been mentioned, try and look for whether you are perception dominant or judgement dominant. When I first analysed my type beyond test scores, I was able to tell that I was IxxJ, though I had no idea which functions I had at the top. In fact, my terrible understanding led me to believe I was INFJ (y'know, intelligent and a nice person, must be N and F. Somehow I could relate to Ni and somewhat Fe back then, now I know Ni is something different, and I don't relate AT ALL to Fe).
    Likes Gladius liked this post

  9. #29
    Member Gladius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII Ni
    Posts
    47

    Default

    @Legion

    Thanks for your opinion once again.
    Any new thoughts?

  10. #30
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Are you the type of person who filters reality based on feelings that can't be separated from your own conscious state?

    For instance,

    I like this.
    I dislike this.
    I enjoy this.
    I detest this.
    I love this.
    I abhor this.

    Or are you more the person who treats feelings and emotions as something that can be separate from the conscious state or independent from the self?

    This is fun.
    This is cheerful.
    This is depressing.
    This is boisterous.
    This is sad.
    This is happy.
    This is enjoyable.

    Of course, we will all use a mixture of these phrases in day-to-day life, but the mode from which it is filtered is still the one in charge. For instance, the first type listed above can say "This is fun", but what is actually happening in their conscious mind is still "I think this is fun", in that mode, the feeling isn't separated from the self, it doesn't exist in the environment like the latter mode perceives.
    Likes Gladius liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Typology Central Members Personality Type Survey
    By Nonpareil in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 570
    Last Post: 11-11-2017, 09:46 PM
  2. ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ Thought consumed ENFP. New to the realization of personality types.
    By labyrinth_perhaps in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 03:53 PM
  3. Personality Types and Music
    By SuperServal in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 06:37 PM
  4. Personality Type and Growth
    By heart in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM
  5. IQ and aging - personal, conflicting thoughts
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 01:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO