User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 12

  1. #1
    Junior Member bats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    12

    Default Mistyped husband

    My husband works at a college where every few years they have their staff take tests to determine the Myers-Briggs type. He used to get INTJ but this time he got ISTJ. That got him confused. So I was wondering what would be the biggest differences between a INTJ and a ISTJ that would really stand out if you knew them well. I've read descriptions of the types and I can see a little of him in both. But I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows people of these two types and can tell me the biggest differences between them that
    they've observed.

  2. #2
    Senior Member OptoGypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bats View Post
    My husband works at a college where every few years they have their staff take tests to determine the Myers-Briggs type. He used to get INTJ but this time he got ISTJ. That got him confused. So I was wondering what would be the biggest differences between a INTJ and a ISTJ that would really stand out if you knew them well. I've read descriptions of the types and I can see a little of him in both. But I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows people of these two types and can tell me the biggest differences between them that
    they've observed.
    Does he see morals/ethics as intrinsic or instrumental, is he the ethical type or is his main priority to only care about results?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,443

    Default

    INTJ is knowledge centered (NT) and ISTJ is authority centered (SJ). The temperaments have significant differences.
    Have a look:

    Temperament Theory

    And check this out:

    Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to the 4 Temperaments-4.0: Linda V. Berens: 9780979868443: Amazon.com: Books

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    10,082

    Default

    let's have the most objective possible description of your husband. quirks, behaviors, ways of interacting, etc

  5. #5
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Present/practical versus future/conceptual focus, just in my experience. ISTJ is very grounded in present reality and will draw heavily from past experience in establishing and maintaining current operations. INTJ is very focused on future vision and will enact current plans as a means of reaching objectives and goals.

  6. #6
    Junior Member bats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    INTJ is knowledge centered (NT) and ISTJ is authority centered (SJ). The temperaments have significant differences.
    Have a look:

    Temperament Theory

    And check this out:

    Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to the 4 Temperaments-4.0: Linda V. Berens: 9780979868443: Amazon.com: Books
    Interesting. I read over these four types and felt he was equally a Theorist and Catalyst. I read all of the descriptions to him and he said the same thing. I think he's fallen into the role of Stabilizer simply because the massive amounts of responsibility on his shoulders has made him unwilling to take the risks in life that he wants. Maybe this is what made him come out as ISTJ? Hmmm... But lately he's realized giving up on his dreams has been slowly killing him inside and he's started working on some ideas for a business he wants to start. Which is great because he's coming to life again.

  7. #7
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Does he prefer Big picture (N) over details (S) or vice versa?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bats View Post
    But lately he's realized giving up on his dreams has been slowly killing him inside and he's started working on some ideas for a business he wants to start.
    Screw MBTI type. Tell him to go for it.
    Likes bats liked this post

  9. #9
    Junior Member bats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    let's have the most objective possible description of your husband. quirks, behaviors, ways of interacting, etc
    I don't know how good I can be about being "objective" in this case. I know that many people see him as an elitist know-it-all, but I strongly disagree. He's highly intelligent, very well-read (reads about a couple hundred books a year), he gets bored with small talk. He thinks he's capable of acting polite when listening to small talk, he tries, but it obviously burdens him and this offends people. He also isn't interested in popular culture or sports. It's not because he's a snob. He's even tried developing interests that would make him seem more down to earth, but he just can't fake it.

    He's also viewed by most as highly dependable. And I agree. He will go the extra mile for people who don't even give a crap about him and everyone knows it. So, he won't get invited to a lot of parties, but he's the first person everyone calls when something goes wrong. He's a brilliant problem solver, thinking of solutions on his feet that no one else could think of and he has a cool head in a crisis. He often comes across as a misanthrope, but that's because he gets tired of being alienated as a friend, but always depended upon in a jam. But he's a deeply caring person who puts up an abrasive exterior to protect himself.

  10. #10
    Junior Member bats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    Does he prefer Big picture (N) over details (S) or vice versa?
    He's good with both, actually.

Similar Threads

  1. Mistyping John Locke and Fox Mulder
    By nightwatcher in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 06:58 PM
  2. [MBTItm] My husband tested ISFP but seems to be NT sometimes
    By BookLady in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 06:42 AM
  3. Biggest problems in typing - People mistyping themselves
    By alcea rosea in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 01:53 PM
  4. I've Mistyped Myself
    By Urchin in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM
  5. A woman got her husband on me...
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO