• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help with my type

Jhudd

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this site, and I've only been studying typology for a few days, so I apologize if I ask something that seems obvious.

I've tested as INTJ, ENTJ, INTP, and ENTP. I would like some help narrowing down the options, but I may not be any of those four.

What I've read about ENTP sounds the most accurate to me. I have a very good sense of humor and I like to entertain. I love debating and analyzing for their own sake. I'm highly logical but I have no problem communicating with people, and I think I am very receptive to the emotions of others. I am always coming up with new ideas, but I get bored easily, and sometimes don't follow through as I find implementing my ideas can be mundane. As a result, I look for the next idea, and I start more projects than I finish. I always dream of adventure and travel, and the idea of a 9-5 job scares me.

There are some reasons me me to believe that I am a J rather than a P. I am very skilled with words, and my logic seems to be sequential. I also move mechanically in sports. However, in my personal life I'm not too organized, and I usually clean as a matter of principal rather than an internal desire to have things organized. I like planning as a way to imagine an exciting future, but I really dislike deadlines and obligations, although I always obey them because I fear the consequences of not meeting them.

I seem to act more like an introvert, but I feel more natural as an extrovert. My shyness seems to come from anxiety and fear rather than a natural way of doing things. I feel happier and more energized when i am social and entertaining others, but I'm often afraid to be.

So think my main question is to what extent can environmental factors cause us to behave in ways that aren't necessarily natural to our type? When I was very young I suffered through a lot of emotional stress and trauma. Is it possible that it has caused me to be more introverted, when I would have otherwise been more extroverted? As I have gotten older I have become more extroverted, and happier. Could this also partially explain why I don't like deadlines and structure, but at the same time fear a lack of structure? As for the left vs right brain logic, I seem to use both sides. I am skilled at writing and reading, as well as music. Here's an idea, and it might be way off: due to an illness when I was an infant, I have poor eyesight. My left eye is lazy, and I see almost exclusively with my right eye. Is it possible that this has influenced the way I learn?

Sorry for the really long post. I'd really appreciate any help and feedback.

Thanks,
John