• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or ENFP

darknessinzero

All I know for sure is that I'm an ENXP. I also studied the difference between Fi and Ti. Fe and Te. But then I think I always kind of use Fi Ti Fe and Te, so I'm a bit confused as to which type really I am.

Lemme give you a list of my ENFP/ENTP traits:

My ENTP traits:
I like studying about everything (Psychology, technology, philosophy, anything that interests me)
I like studying how things work.
I love debating, and when I hear a wrong argument, I always feel like I'm compelled to rectify the error in the argument.
However sometimes, I felt the need to hold back, since I don't want to hurt people's feelings.
I see life as a game and I see myself as a player, I view people as chess pieces and I want to know how to control them by their will. (I'm sorta Machiavelli, in a sense)
I value criticism, especially the sensible ones.
I don't really care about people, I just want to do what I want sometimes.
I analyze to the core of the thought, and I even end up concluding that everything I thought is wrong because I felt it doesn't fit within the logic that I knew of.

My ENFP traits:
I'm emphatic, and I like helping people and counseling their problems.
I can be sensitive to people's criticism too, but not always. (Just some ad hominem ones)
I'm a sanguine-phlegmatic type.
I can be irrational sometimes.
I have my own personal values, but I don't follow them quite often, I can go with the flow even my values are hurt.
I can hide what I really feel towards people.
I don't handle well within conflict. Especially if I'm the bad guy. I hate being hated by people (Like I said, I'm a sanguine phlegmatic)

Thank you for your help!

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"I'm emphatic, and I like helping people and counseling their problems."

"I don't really care about people, I just want to do what I want sometimes."

These are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I'm very empathetic and will happily give a kind word to a stranger, or help someone out, but I also don't get emotionally affected if they are. And really don't care if they listen to my advice.

"I don't handle well within conflict. Especially if I'm the bad guy. I hate being hated by people."

I actually like conflict. Embrace it. It can be exhilarating. But I'm not sure this is an ENTP trait. Plus I wasn't like that when I was younger. I definitely will try to keep the peace if people start to get upset, even if I'm not the one involved. I'm a great mediator. But if I feel wronged or violated, I have no problems saying what's on my mind, and um, may God be with you, haha. And if someone calls me an asshole (if only I had a dollar for every time), I could give a fuck. But really, only if I felt justice was served.

I'll actually feel really bad if someone gets their feelings hurt from misinterpreting me.

Right now, I'm leaning towards ENTP for you, especially after the "seeing people as chess pieces" comment, lol.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I second Mr. Yukon.

Another vote for ENTP.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Your ENTP list is stronger than the ENFP list.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I grow up paying more attentions to feelings FOR MY OWN GOOD.
I try NOT TO create conflicts just because I see life "as a game" most of the time (and a place where learning is very important),
but most people don't think this way. I try to respect that more and more.
It does not mean I'm not ready to fight for some ideas or some important values.

How many times did you take the MBTI test ?

For me, "le noyau dur" (NT) was very obvious in EVERY test (1 time on 8 ONLY I was told to be NF).
Even if by reading types I could have think being an ENFP.

I would not describe ENTP as being phlegmatic:D

An ENTP can naturally hide his/her feelings too...

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually, this may not be as clear cut as it first appears. The two can be both hard to tell apart, and easy. Just depends.

How do you behave/act/deal with stress?

Which matters more? Justice or mercy?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's more. Turns out google is full of these.

I checked for you as I was struck by your saying that ad hominems bother you. Those are at the very bottom of most NTs 'bother list' as they prove and say nothing at all.

darknessinzero

"I'm emphatic, and I like helping people and counseling their problems."

"I don't really care about people, I just want to do what I want sometimes."

These are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I'm very empathetic and will happily give a kind word to a stranger, or help someone out, but I also don't get emotionally
affected if they are. And really don't care if they listen to my advice.

Oh true.

"I don't handle well within conflict. Especially if I'm the bad guy. I hate being hated by people."

I actually like conflict. Embrace it. It can be exhilarating. But I'm not sure this is an ENTP trait. Plus I wasn't like that when I was younger. I definitely will try to keep the peace if people start to get upset, even if I'm not the one involved. I'm a great mediator. But if I feel wronged or violated, I have no problems saying what's on my mind, and um, may God be with you, haha. And if someone calls me an asshole (if only I had a dollar for every time), I could give a fuck. But really, only if I felt justice was served. I'll actually feel really bad if someone gets their feelings hurt from misinterpreting me.

I liked conflict too, in a way that there's no ill emotions involved and learning is encouraged and promoted. I love debating with people who also love debating. But then what I hate is when people are sensitive and just blurt out things such as "did you know that you hurt my feelings?" and suddenly became violent. When I felt wronged or violated, I just don't talk since I might say things that I could regret. However, this is different when I view things are wrong, this is where I voice out what I think.

For instance, I have a teacher before who's about to drop one of my classmate (I don't know him btw) because of excess absences. I voiced out to the professor that the student must not be dropped since there are still 2 allowable absences that he didn't consume.
Then the professor got angry at me, and me, who's the asshole, smirking like a jerk (and I love it). She caught me smirking and got angry :)) From that day on, my teacher called me a lawyer :))

And oh yeah, I kind of feel like awkward when people I knew I wronged got angry at me. So I tend to avoid them. I feel like I don't want to see them anymore because of guilt. (Though, this is rare. And this happened on mostly on my High School days. I'm a college student now btw)

darknessinzero

How many times did you take the MBTI test ?

I think, hundreds of times already.

I would not describe ENTP as being phlegmatic:D

This is exactly the reason why I doubted my Type :)) I'm a 3w2 7w6 9w1 in my enneagram

So I tend to:
Show off what I can do (though I'm not boastful)
Got dissapointed when people don't appreciate what I can do
Loves adventure and trying out new things
But also mind security as well
Peace loving

darknessinzero

Actually, this may not be as clear cut as it first appears. The two can be both hard to tell apart, and easy. Just depends.

How do you behave/act/deal with stress?

Organize my thoughts, though I'm not good at it since I hate thinking about it.

Which matters more? Justice or mercy?

That depends, sometimes I value justice, sometimes mercy. But if it's mercy that I feel, I check first if the person to be judged is just showing-off or truly sincere.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Thinking doesn't matter more to a Thinker, it's simply what they have a tendency to do.

So you shouldn't really value justice or mercy more highly (assuming justice=T, mercy=F), at least assuming an acceptance of your opposite side.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thinking doesn't matter more to a Thinker, it's simply what they have a tendency to do.

So you shouldn't really value justice or mercy more highly (assuming justice=T, mercy=F), at least assuming an acceptance of your opposite side.

Uh. I'm not saying whether or not it's definitive. Like you are, for instance, but I am saying it matters in some way. Because it does. I'm not speaking JUST T and F, but a mixture of ENTP and ENFP.

To the OP, I see your answer, and I get what you mean, I think. I can care, but if I have to choose, it will always fall on justice's side. Keeping in mind, of course, that justice in this context isn't always what the law says it is.

darknessinzero

Uh. I'm not saying whether or not it's definitive. Like you are, for instance, but I am saying it matters in some way. Because it does. I'm not speaking JUST T and F, but a mixture of ENTP and ENFP.

To the OP, I see your answer, and I get what you mean, I think. I can care, but if I have to choose, it will always fall on justice's side. Keeping in mind, of course, that justice in this context isn't always what the law says it is.

Indeed, justice can fall to either of the following criterias:

Personal values (based on what you feel is right)
Self calculated judgement based on the logical side of things. <----And I happen to fall here

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Oh true.

I liked conflict too (EN IT very not EN IF), in a way that there's no ill emotions involved (EF) and learning is encouraged and promoted. (ENTP) I love debating (ENTP) with people who also love debating. But then what I hate is when people are sensitive and just blurt out things such as "did you know that you hurt my feelings?" (Your EF hating some selfish assholes IF) and suddenly became violent. When I felt wronged or violated, I just don't talk since I might say things that I could regret. However, this is different when I view things are wrong, this is where I voice out what I think. (EN IT)

For instance, I have a teacher before who's about to drop one of my classmate (I don't know him btw) because of excess absences. I voiced out to the professor that the student must not be dropped since there are still 2 allowable absences that he didn't consume. (EN IT)
Then the professor got angry at me, and me, who's the asshole, smirking like a jerk (and I love it). She caught me smirking and got angry :)) From that day on, my teacher called me a lawyer :)) (Classic ENTP gamesmanship!)

And oh yeah, I kind of feel like awkward when people I knew I wronged got angry at me (EF). So I tend to avoid them. I feel like I don't want to see them anymore because of guilt. (Though, this is rare. And this happened on mostly on my High School days. I'm a college student now btw)

:D In pain laughing at this clearly ENTP post! :D

ENTP: EN IT EF IS Rational - Inventor
ENFP: EN IF ET IS Idealist - Champion

In your post above, I've put brackets where you are clearly an ENTP or using the functions of an ENTP. In your case, you don't seem to be using IF or ET at all, and are very strongly using IT and EF.

ENFP's are not debators at heart, but will enjoy making fun OF debates and playing on the ideas of the debate as opposed to making the argument then saying it. ENFP's are more egalitarian and liberal (wishy washy) and aloof with having offended someone, whereas you (ENTP) sound quite firm in voicing your stance (EN IT) yet aware of the feelings of the people around you (EF).

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Look at the differences between Ti and Fi and how they might work for you. I had the same issue once, exacerbated by the fact that everyone insisted I was "blatantly obviously" an Fi-user. Then I figured out (or rather, observed my brain doing it) I'm really good at finding the "underlying principle" on the spot and my perceived lack of social skills was actually semi-repressed Fe.

Ignore the stuff about Fi meaning you have principles and convictions and stuff--me too. Examine what your brain actually does.

Based on your list, I'd reckon ENTP, though. ENFP seems like circumstantial evidence.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems so. But I'd value more the facts than the circumstantial one. So ENTP it is?

Well you know yourself better. I'm only speculating based on a short list of characteristics you've provided. But it does seem like you have an inclination toward Ti over Fi.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think, hundreds of times already
This is exactly the reason why I doubted my Type :)) I'm a 3w2 7w6 9w1 in my enneagram

9w1 can be very much phlegmatic,
3w2 NO WAY !!!

As for 7w6 they can easily become anxious under the "smiling surface".

For me there is no "pure absolute type". I am ENTP but was often mistaken with INTP many times (let's say I'm a "fake extrovert").

ENTP Ne Ti Fe Si
INTP Ti Ne Si Fe

Looking at the functions, that's what you must do to discover your true type !

In the example above I am sure not to be Ti dominant!
To help you, you can also compare yourself with some people on this forum, the way they express themselves and what they really focus on,
and thinking about watching some videos about the differences of each function.

:bye: