User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Type?

Default My Type?

I would like to know my type. I have a good idea but am confused on some points.

I am very quiet, always getting comments as such, and can only really talk at length on particular subjects, or subject which require a certain kind of philosophical analysis. The subjects I am most drawn to are mathematics, philosophy, certain aspects of psychology. Science is ok, but I don't really like doing the experiments - I'm generally not a very hands on person, though I can be quite crafty. When it comes to homework and other things, I am definitely one to leave things until the last minute, though I've usually figured out how to do a problem in my head, so that when it comes to putting it down on paper I know the rough line I need to take and how long it will take.

I like to think visually, for example, seeing concepts represented in pictures in my head, or closing my eyes and seeing transforming sets of visuals - as a hypothetical example, I may see a bird fly around the sun, then cover it, and a face appear on the bird. I have a tendency to read into what people say in the sense of thinking of how what they say would make sense in a different context - however this may be due to paranoia.

I naturally dwell a lot on the past, trying to figure out what I could have done differently in certain situations (though I see this as a negative trait which I am trying to counter). I tend to view the future in somewhat simplistic terms, seeing essentially a linearity with the past, as opposed to a breeding ground for new ideas and possibilities. For example I may tend to see my life in the future as the archetypal "job, house, wife" set up, giving time frames for when I would like to achieve what.

I am at the same time generous and stingy - I will give to others as though it makes no difference whether I have something or they, but I will tend to not spend much and spend cheaply where I can. When interacting with others, I try to be warm, laughing at others jokes, giving a look of concern where it is due, and trying to make sure things run smoothly (except when something is done in good humour).

This is all I have for now. Ask questions to know more.

7w6 so/sx
    IEE Ne

Could be ISTJ, ISFJ, INFP, or ISFP, maybe ISTP if not INTP, but what you've described is pretty clearly INTP, but sometimes when you already have an idea in your head of what you are, it's easy to just spout off traits of that type.
    7w6 3w2 9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by roastingmallows View Post
    Could be ISTJ, ISFJ, INFP, or ISFP, maybe ISTP if not INTP, but what you've described is pretty clearly INTP, but sometimes when you already have an idea in your head of what you are, it's easy to just spout off traits of that type.
    I wasn't meaning to describe it as INTP, and if I do see myself this way, then I saw myself this way before learning about MBTI, as I first scored INTP on the tests I took. What in particular makes it INTP? I can see it in the first main paragraph of what I wrote. I see myself as somewhat of a philosopher.

Perhaps INTP is my "subjective" type (what I see myself as), and ISTJ is my "objective" type (what I really am)?

I used to go for long walks and "try on" a given type, think through what that means. Eventually through this method I "saw" that I was strongly using Si, and a bit of reflection later led me to think I was definitely a thinker. But I couldn't point to anything objective to say that this was my type for sure. It just stuck.

This typing came after I had learnt about socionics, but I wasn't using IE definitions, nor intertype relations, nor MBTI CF descriptions, it just came from the synthesized idea in my head of what the terms meant.

However, one thing that makes me think there really is INTP in my psyche, is that, when I was hanging out with an INTP, I noticed that a lot of what he says would seem pretty much like what I was thinking at the time. Now, does Ti have this quality of being what others are thinking, or could this imply a similarity between us?

Permabanned Array
    5w4 sx/sp

Are you sure you are a 9 and not a 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    Are you sure you are a 9 and not a 5?
    :P this goes along with the dilemma I am having.

I can see ISTJ 9 for myself. Yet, I can also see INTP 5. I am 95% confident that I am a 9, but 5 was always one of my highest scores, if not the highest.

I often get comments about how calm I am, and that I have a calming presence on others. I definitely avoid self assertion, and I will quickly back away from a lot of arguments if I don't think it will really help things. I have been described as "Jesus"-like in my attempts to calm down arguments that are going on. I am "democratic" and most highly value 9, 6, 3 and 2 traits. When going through the most stressing period of my life thus far, I became very suspicious of others, and saw my successes and built up images crumbling away. However, this last part can be explained without typology.

edit: Maybe we have an MBTI tritype corresponding to the enneagram one?

So my type would go something like: ISTJ 9 > INTP 5 > IxFP 4

Only I think it makes more sense to have 4 MBTI types, not 3.
    Last edited by Legion; 09-26-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Need help with enneagram.

I have 5w6 and 9w1 in my tritype, pretty certain. But I'm not sure which is the dominant.

I'm somewhat of an intellectual, basing my self-concept around my philosophies and mathematical abilities. I spend a lot of time reading stuff on the net. I've been told I have a lot of fears, and I assume I need to formulate theories and practice these so that I will be able to deal with social situations, such as thinking of techniques to get me talking and responding to what people say.
    I'm not very assertive, a decent mediator, I tend to keep the peace rather than cause conflict, and I feel somewhat sick if a conflict is unavoidable due to someone stubbornly asking me to do something. As mentioned before, I am calm and have a calming effect on others (Si?). I am a big procrastinator. I feel anger towards myself quite frequently, due to past mistakes and having been (ab)used by others.

I think I would like to be 9w1, but am probably 5w6.

I'm also unsure of my heart-fix. The tritype test I've taken several times, and each time I get a different heart fix. I need to do some introspection on how I see my image.

I see myself as somewhat generous, people-pleasing, helpful.
    I am somewhat success focused, and feel shame when I don't perform at my best.
    I see myself as a unique person, and would probably use this as one of the first adjectives to describe myself.

I'm leaning towards 4w5.

Filled out this questionnaire for my enneagram type (and tritype and instinct stacking). I would appreciate anyone who would like to read it and tell me what they think.

Disclaimer: How are you doing? Are there any major life events/illnesses/other issues that might be influencing you? Did you write this in one sitting, or have you pondered these issues deeply? Give us a sense of "where you're at" right now.

(Note that some of these issues may be very personal, and if you'd prefer not to share, it's perfectly acceptable to skip questions.

I suffer from depression and possible bipolar, as well as anxiety. I am recovering from psychosis and am on antipsychotics.

I wrote this in one sitting, pretty much. I've read the questionnaire a while ago but didn't reflect deeply on it.

0. What's making you unsure of your type? What research have you already done to determine type?

I just seem to relate to several types and I am not quite sure of what the defining features of each are. Actually, I am writing this because I think I do know now what my type is, so I am looking for confirmation. I have read various descriptions and taken several tests several times.

1. Establish a "baseline mood"--when you're at home with nothing to do, where are you at mentally and emotionally? What do you notice in yourself? (Note, this is not a mood you inhabit "frequently", but your psychological baseline).

- mostly calm but slightly anxious, bored and doing something which at least slightly occupies my mind, pondering various subjects, not particularly happy, probably a bit tense

2. Describe yourself--
    a. What's it like to be you?
    b. What have others said about you?
    c. What do you think of yourself?

It's hard in that I'm constantly plagued my some mental issue or another and don't feel I can talk to people enough about it. It's also quite easy though since I don't do much. It's like being on a mission to uncover the deep truths of life so that I know how I should direct my life, what my aims should be and how to achieve those aims. It is somewhat lonely.

Others have said I am quiet, intelligent, modest, compliant, calm, lazy, thinker and overthinker, depressed, not domineering, worldy, earthly, wise, a nice and good person, organised and dependable, a good listener.

I think I am intelligent in certain areas but pretty useless in other ways. I suck at things at first but once I get good at it I don't easily forget it and I can do things with it few others can. I think I am a good person, perhaps not so much by my actions but my intentions. I have a fairly low self esteem and tend to not see myself as deserving of happiness.

3. What are the issues you've dealt with in life? List some recurrent themes, and tell us a little about each one.

I've dealt a lot with loneliness and having a hard time communicating to others. I never know what to say in a conversation, and barely know what I'm thinking or feeling. I had good bonds with friends as a child but have lacked that ever since and wish to return to it.

I've dealt with depression and anxiety and psychosis. I can't remember being happy much in the last 10 or so years. I have a lot of anxiety relating to social situations. I tend to see the past in a negative light and catastrophise about the future, and also not be fully engaged in the present. I have suffered huge paranoia as a result of drugs and remain a paranoid person to this day.

I've dealt with addictions and obsessions. Addictions to such things as weed, alcohol, tobacco, energy drinks, poker. Obsessions with things such as MBTI.

4. You're not good at everything--
    a. What personality traits and/or ways of being are impossible for you to adopt?
    b. What are qualities you'd like to have, but can't seem to develop?

I think it would be near impossible for me to become sadistic and just generally not considerate of others, and for me to be an outgoing, gregarious sort of person.

I would like to be able to converse at least semi-decently, to be more organised and active, and to be able to stand up to people more.

5. Why have you left friends and other relationships in the past and/or why have they left you?

I have had friends leave me due to psychotic/manic behaviour. I have left friends that have influenced me negatively over and over again and that I did not trust.

6. Which types do you identify with most?
    a. How do you relate to these types?
    b. How do you NOT relate to them?

I currently relate most to type 6. I have a lot of anxiety and I am a loyal and dependable person, and when I become neurotic I am very paranoid and conspiratorial. I am having a hard time however seeing how I focus on "security", but I probably do.

I also relate to type 5. I am very reserved and have a hard time expressing emotions. I am quite dark and intellectual with my interests. I don't like to be intruded upon. I think 5s however would have less of an interest with friendships, and perhaps be more knowledgeable than I am

I also relate to type 9. I often have a high sense of calm, I have trouble with self-knowledge and standing up for myself. I am very lazy and very modest. I don't think I'm a particularly loving person however, compared to others.

I relate somewhat to type 1 through being overly hard on myself for making mistakes and for my moral visions, and also to type 4 for my tendency to become inwardly emotional and my self-identity as being someone unique. However I am not organised like a 1 and I am not -that- emotional or self-reflective like a 4.

7. Which types are least like you?
    a. Why specifically do you not relate to these types?
    b. What points (if any) DO you relate to?

I relate least to 7 and 8. I am not much of a party person like a 7, but on the other hand I do tend to use escape to cope with my anxieties. And I am not at all assertive, however I do seem to have an aggressive side which comes out occassionally.

I don't quite relate to 2 or 3. I see both of these types as quite manipulative and I couldn't manipulate someone if my life depended on it. I don't particularly serve others, even if I do see the needs of others as equally important to my own. I do strive for success and get quite upset when I perceive myself as having not been successful.

8. They claim enneagram type is a hidden love need. What are your attitudes toward finding love?

Ever since I was a young child I have been very interested in girls. Since I can remember, I would fantasise about situations where I would be with a girl, often taking a protective role. I wish to find someone who will complete me and become my everything. I want someone who will help me grow and in turn I will help them to grow. I want someone who will accept me as I am, because they realise that how I am is not how I always will be but is rather a starting point that I can develop from and be all that I can be.

9. What is the message your superego tells you?

Consider a time when you felt poorly about yourself--this means your ego (i.e. YOU) is receiving negative feedback from your superego. Write a conversation between the two of them--what is your superego telling you about how to be? (Note: this obviously is very personal and may be better done privately. Report your findings).

The super-ego tells me I have done wrong. I have either wronged others and now I am paying for it, or I have made a big mistake with a choice that I made or didn't make. The ego says they didn't realise what they were doing or why they did it and wants to know how to change.

For the following, rank the issues in the order they apply and give a brief description of why and how you relate.

I have reordered these to be from most like me to least like me. I gave explanations for the first question of the three.

10. Determine your ego ideal--the way you strive to be and want others to perceive you. (Note, you may be consciously aware of failing at this, and you will be hard on yourself if you do. If someone else tells you you're NOT this way, it may make you feel hurt, violated, or angry.)

Which of the following ideals resonate with you the most, and why? Rank them.

11. Determine your "felt sense" of life. To do this it may help to look at how you perceive events. Another way to do this is to look back at your childhood and think of all the things your parents did to you. How did you/do you feel about these events?

Here are some common "felt senses" of life:

12. Core fears. You may have been aware of these fears even as a very small child, before anyone did anything to influence it. You'd be mortified to be in this position or have others perceive you this way.

Discuss which fears have played the greatest role in your life:

Last edited by Legion; 01-02-2015 at 02:14 AM. Reason: edited for formatting

5w4 sx/sp
    LII Ni

I don't believe security is your primary value. Your past drug use has brought out certain symptoms that make you seem like a security-conscious 6, but in fact you are a type 4.
    "I absorb energy like a sponge everywhere I go. It allows me to see the world and my purpose in it." Zak Bagans, Ghost Adventures (INFJ)

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I don't believe security is your primary value. Your past drug use has brought out certain symptoms that make you seem like a security-conscious 6, but in fact you are a type 4.
    This is interesting. Can you expand on your reasons for this?

How certain are you that I am a 4?

5w4 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    This is interesting. Can you expand on your reasons for this?

How certain are you that I am a 4?
    It turns out that I didn't understand parts of the description properly (confused by a lack of formatting to distinguish things you wrote versus other statements), so I took a harder look at it.

You're the 6-4-9 tritype, the "seeker." More specifically, 6w5-9w1-4w5, with 6w5 as your main type. You seem like a counterphobic 6. Your stated goal to be a good person is the clincher that distinguishes 6 over 5.
    "I absorb energy like a sponge everywhere I go. It allows me to see the world and my purpose in it." Zak Bagans, Ghost Adventures (INFJ)