• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I really INFP?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thank you as well for your emotional honesty as it helps me too... being reminded we're not alone in this. Which is half the self-improvement battle I feel and why I feel these type of materials are so effective. Being reminded that you are not alone on your journey, opening-up and finding the encouragement to take another step forward. I very much appreciate your posts.
Thank you, starry.
Whatever happens will happen. I can just accept that, with whatever ups and downs come my way.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not knowing your own feelings is at odds with being INFP, or Fi-dominant for that matter. I don't mean emotions, but value concepts.

People think anyone who is sensitive and feels misunderstood is INFP. In which case, are most teenagers INFP?

I agree the OP sounds like an enneagram 9. Not knowing what you want and just doing something out of pressure from others is a sign of 9. Unhealthy 4s get nasty and bite you and then retreat to their lair.

It's hard to Jungian type some 9s, as young ones who are, say, low-average dont seem to have a clear sense of self. People seem to frequently mistype 9s as INFP, yet INFP e9s more commonly have a stronger sense of self than common to other e9s - same with their value concepts.

The OP is right to question a lack of knowing what is important to her as a strong indicator she may not be an Introverted Feeling type.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Not knowing your own feelings is at odds with being INFP, or Fi-dominant for that matter. I don't mean emotions, but value concepts.

People think anyone who is sensitive and feels misunderstood is INFP. In which case, are most teenagers INFP?

I agree the OP sounds like an enneagram 9. Not knowing what you want and just doing something out of pressure from others is a sign of 9. Unhealthy 4s get nasty and bite you and then retreat to their lair.

It's hard to Jungian type some 9s, as young ones who are, say, low-average dont seem to have a clear sense of self. People seem to frequently mistype 9s as INFP, yet INFP e9s more commonly have a stronger sense of self than common to other e9s - same with their value concepts.

The OP is right to question a lack of knowing what is important to her as a strong indicator she may not be an Introverted Feeling type.

Lol I suddenly wonder if I could be INFJ instead.

I seemed to see some Ni and Fe in myself.

For example, once I set a goal, I am very stubborn and I just have to achieve that goal, and I can never feel happy until THAT specific goal manifest into reality.
INFJs are said to be lead Ni and they often have an inner vision of how things should be like, and I seemed to see this tendency in myself. One of my biggest goal at the moment, for example, is to become self-employed and work for myself, and this is what I envisioned myself doing as a career for an entire lifetime.
But my family doesn't really approve of this career choice of mine, and this frustrates me deeply, I hate having to change my original plans and goals, I hate the fact that my goals are unable to manifest into reality. In my mind, this is what my ideal career should be like, I should be working for myself, and I don't want to go for any other career route, I just want THIS particular career goal of mine to manifest into reality.

I also seemed to see some Fe in myself, for example, there was once when a coworker yelled at me. I knew I was feeling upset when she yelled at me, but I didn't know how terribly hurt I was until I started breaking down and crying.
I was so surprised by my own reaction. I didn't even know that I was so deeply affected by the way she treated me until I broke down crying.

And also, one of my classmates/acquaintances told me, "You are ok, except that you don't really reveal what you are thinking at times"

But then again, I am not sure whether the above situations that I am describing is correlated with Ni and Fe, I still have lots to learn about these functions.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some INFPs act like they have lots of J, some INFJs appear like they have a lot of P. I know an INFJ that whoever gets to see his tears should feel privileged, because he just doesn't cry in front of anybody. He's always tender, dreamy, light and slightly melancholic. But then I know another INFJ who would love and hate very clearly, people are divided into either friends or enemies, and his facebook is daily updated with sarcastic revelations and thoughts. THEN I know an INFP who appears almost like the second INFJ.
For myself, the J is naturally forced out of me when I'm in charge or around others, but deeply in my mind, the P is watching out.

But one thing for sure, you'll be more likely to catch the Fe-Ti say "you should" this and that.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Some INFPs act like they have lots of J, some INFJs appear like they have a lot of P. I know an INFJ that whoever gets to see his tears should feel privileged, because he just doesn't cry in front of anybody. He's always tender, dreamy, light and slightly melancholic. But then I know another INFJ who would love and hate very clearly, people are divided into either friends or enemies, and his facebook is daily updated with sarcastic revelations and thoughts. THEN I know an INFP who appears almost like the second INFJ.
For myself, the J is naturally forced out of me when I'm in charge or around others, but deeply in my mind, the P is watching out.

But one thing for sure, you'll be more likely to catch the Fe-Ti say "you should" this and that.

Hmm I rarely say the words, "you should" and stuff like that. It actually sounds kinda condescending to tell people what they should or should not do.

I am the "live and let live" type.

Or maybe I am INFP afterall, I am very non-judgemental and accepting of people.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lots of Fe-Ti wouldn't say things like "you should" until they're close to somebody. Saying "you should" doesn't always mean they're condescending though, it just shows how they believe their thoughts are relevant and their ideas are best to be turned into practice.

If I have to find 1 thing that 3 INFJs I know have in common, it will be something like this: they told me about their struggles and dark time and how they have "changed and improved" yet felt judged because of those things sometimes, hence loved it when somebody would see them for who they are. Naturally, I tried to tell them I could relate and that just made me feel even closer to them, and whatever it was they chose to do or feel, it was for a reason. THEN it was my turn to tell them about my darker side and struggles and how things "had not yet" left me alone, they started to give me advice on how to change and improve because those methods worked for them. As I went on being stubborn about I was who I was and it was not that easy to just become certain ways, they would say something like, "then keep doing that, and good luck with feeling miserable for the rest of your life", etc. etc. :freaked::dont:
Still love INFJs though. They become much more tender with age.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Lots of Fe-Ti wouldn't say things like "you should" until they're close to somebody. Saying "you should" doesn't always mean they're condescending though, it just shows how they believe their thoughts are relevant and their ideas are best to be turned into practice.

This reminds me of something.. One of my xxFP friends has this tendency to confide in me about her personal problems, and sometimes I will give her advice, and she told me the way I give her advice sounds a bit harsh at times.
I don't really say the words, "you should", but my tone when giving advice can sound a little bit harsh at times??

I have also been accused by a few of my friends (mainly xxFP types) for being "critical". Do INFPs ever called "critical" by others? Or could I be INFJ afterall? :/

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do INFPs ever called "critical" by others? Or could I be INFJ afterall? :/

Yup. More often than anticipated. I know I am critical of others in certain areas. I feel the critical vibe from other INFPs in my life.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Yup. More often than anticipated. I know I am critical of others in certain areas. I feel the critical vibe from other INFPs in my life.

Interesting. I guess our critical nature probably comes from our Fi, since Fi is supposed to be a judging function, lol.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When an INFJ gets critical, it's their Ti convictions motivates them to give an Fe reaction. And get ready to be pissed at or doorslammed at if you challenge their Ti.
When an INFP gets critical, it's our compromised Fi values motivate us to use Te to challenge somebody's ideas/opinions. And get ready to see us passive aggressively disappear into our own world if our opinions are disregarded. This can sometimes be misunderstood as "doorslamming".

Destiny

A wannabe dog
When an INFJ gets critical, it's their Ti convictions motivates them to give an Fe reaction. And get ready to be pissed at or doorslammed at if you challenge their Ti.
When an INFP gets critical, it's our compromised Fi values motivate us to use Te to challenge somebody's ideas/opinions. And get ready to see us passive aggressively disappear into our own world if our opinions are disregarded. This can sometimes be misunderstood as "doorslamming".

But I heard INFJs only doorslam people when people challenges their Fe. INFJs are one of the most logical feelers out there so I don't think they will doorslam someone due to their Ti convictions getting challenged, they are more likely to doorslam someone when their Fe gets challenged. For example, if an INFJ sees someone doing something immoral, they will straightaway doorslam that person, whereas INFP is able to see things from multiple perspectives, for example, if an INFP sees someone committing an evil deed, the INFP will start thinking up all the possibilities why that person committed that particular evil deed, whereas INFJs will just judge that person as an evil person and then doorslam the person straightaway due to their Fe getting violated.

And yes I agree the part about INFP. I actually enjoy debating with people, I find myself often using Te to debate with people because I want to get to the bottom of the matter and find out the truth behind the subject that I am debating about.
Sometimes, I will also debate from a viewpoint that I don't necessarily believe in just to see whether the opposing party is able to explain their view points. This is so Te of me :D
Doorslamming someone though, it depends on how they presents their argument. If they force their opinion down my throat, this is when I start getting angered, but if we merely have different opinions and they don't try to ram their opinions down my throat, I won't really get angered over it, because I accept that everybody have different opinions and different ways of viewing things.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Switched to 9 eh?

:yesss:

mangotang

MBTI Type
ISFp
Those answers kind of remind me a lot of INFJs I know, though I'm thinking NeFi, so maybe you actually are INFP?
From what I've seen, though, and this also refers to me, it's usually the ones with the F function that tend to refer back to what they've learned about their MBTI, if they learn about it, and feel disappointed and confused when they find something that doesn't fit with what they've been typed as vs. their actual personality (or what they believe their personality is). Though, that might just be a really wrong inference !!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you considered anything besides INFP or INFJ?
Not saying you are not either, but just noting that neither being a clear fit could mean that neither is your type.
But yes, definitely look into deeper descriptions (like Jung's) and don't get stuck on details. Behaviors can be more closely related to enneagram, attitudes to temperament (ie SP or NF), and emotional state to your health level.

It's generally thought that depressed people may not be typable, as it distorts personality. Enneagram tries tries to account for this, but Jungian type less so. Because its about cognitive preferences and visible personality, MBTI type can be very affected by depression. People may type INFP when depressed due to the depression.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Have you considered anything besides INFP or INFJ?
Not saying you are not either, but just noting that neither being a clear fit could mean that neither is your type.
But yes, definitely look into deeper descriptions (like Jung's) and don't get stuck on details. Behaviors can be more closely related to enneagram, attitudes to temperament (ie SP or NF), and emotional state to your health level.

It's generally thought that depressed people may not be typable, as it distorts personality. Enneagram tries tries to account for this, but Jungian type less so. Because its about cognitive preferences and visible personality, MBTI type can be very affected by depression. People may type INFP when depressed due to the depression.

I have considered many other types, such as ENFP, ISFP, ISTP, ENTP, INTJ, but I don't identify with their thinking style when I read up about their functions.
I identify most with Ni-Fe and Fi-Ne in terms of my thinking style and the way I processed information. And I typed myself as INFP because I use socionics to narrow down my type. In socionics, I actually identify more with the strategic dichotomy rather than the tactical dichotomy, I am very goal-oriented and I care a lot about achieving my goals, I tend to be results-oriented in achieving my goals and I will also change my methods when it comes to achieving my goals. my goals are fixed whereas my methods are flexible, so yup I am Strategic/Result type making me EII in socionics and hence INFP in mbti.

Result + Tactical= Not much of an overall picture; can switch between tasks (leave them entirely incomplete) and changes up methods (no need to be consistent) until result is achieved
Result + Strategic = Overall picture of what you want the end result to be. As long as you get there, job well done; Method isn't necessarily held to or developed ahead of time
Process + Tactical = Not much of an overall picture; when they pick up a task, they identify what method to complete it with ahead of time and keeps to method
Process + Strategic = Overall picture of what you want the end result to be; Determines "process" to get there ahead of time and keeps to method; Easier to switch goals entirely rather than change methods especially mid way

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Lol this is my results from key2cognition:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) **************************** (28.1)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) *************************** (27)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************************** (35.2)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************* (31.2)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************** (30.1)
good use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Alright guys, I think I might be INFJ afterall.

I think I use Ti. I have this strong need to know my mbti type, I feel irritated and frustrated when I don't know what's my mbti type. I heard Ti types often have this strong need to categorize things, so I might be an INFJ afterall.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright guys, I think I might be INFJ afterall.

I think I use Ti. I have this strong need to know my mbti type, I feel irritated and frustrated when I don't know what's my mbti type. I heard Ti types often have this strong need to categorize things, so I might be an INFJ afterall.

You probably are. INFJs are the most complex type after all.