User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: ENFP or INFP?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    5

    Default ENFP or INFP?

    I am certain this topic has been approached before, but I'll ask again. How do I know if I am truly ENFP or INFP? I have tested ENFP everywhere...but I was raised by an ISFP and and ESFJ. Both lead Fi and Fe. I feel like in my relationship w/ my ENTJ spouse; I am all Fi lead. It's really hard for me to see any kind of possibility with him in our encounters anymore because I know how the encounters will go. If I know how something is going to go time after time, then I'll stop trying to dig for a new way around the interaction and just go w/ what is routine. (It probably comes from years and years and years of trying to pull a little empathy out of his backpack.) With the general public I find myself Ne-ing the crap out of "what if" w/ regard to relationships. I also have no problem with problem sovling or coming up w/ ideas if it has to do with anyone BUT myself. I'm kind of funny that way. My Ne focuses greatly on the dynamic w/in relationship possibilities and ideas on how to make my relationships better. I am also a 4w5 7w6 9w1. I am new to enneagram, but it took me about a year to really nail down whether or not I was a 4 or a 9.

    My sister IS in fact INFP all the way around. I feel like she definitely plays the cards closer to her chest than I do. She's VERY intelligent. I know she has feels. All INFPs have them as deeply as any ENFP or NF for that matter....but sometimes I think INFPs are better at guarding or hiding them. That being said, I read a lot of stereotyping comments across FB (recently deactivated my acct after many years. Needed a break.) and other forums about INFPs. I guess it's just hard for me to tell at times what I lead with because % wise my Fe/Fi tend to be very close along w/ my Ne/Ni....my Perceiving is quite a bit higher than my Judging function and my E/I is pretty balanced as well. I'm one of the more shy ENFPs. I find I will defend ideas and people equally if there is a reason to do so. Keep in mind I've been tested professionally. I don't answer like I think I should answer. I answer to how I am and how I hear others perceive that I am.....but I find I am not the stereotypical bubbly, bouncy, puppy-like ENFP. I am quite serious...and maybe that's what I am struggling with....the idea that ENFPs look or act a certain way, when for so many of us it's just not the case. I also personally think male ENFPs behave differently from female ENFPs. (Don't worry I realize people can take that as a sexist comment....it's not meant to be one...it's just my personal opinion and observation of different ENFPs in the same room, over the years.) Do you think type is fluid in that we can rely on one function over another? I know I am extroverted simply because I draw my best energy around people in idea think tanks. That is when I am happiest....in a group setting discussing any old idea and forming plans and goals. I know my weaknesses and have learned to utilize help in the going the distance and finishing a project part of any goal. I think part of growing up is just learning what you're good at, and what you're not good at; then fully accepting it and learning to work w/ what is. (I am very good at doling out responsibilities to those I know can do well at different points in a project.)

    That being said, in my love relationships I've always lead w/ my feels more than my Ne...the Ne was rampant in the beginning for sure; but as I settled in I notice that I'm dealing more w/ Fi than Ne. Does that an INFP make?

    Soooooo in your opinion what are the biggest differences between ENFP and INFP, typically?
    Last edited by dbtech; 08-09-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Testing keyword functionality
    "Truth is, I'll never know all there is to know about you just as you will never know all there is to know about me. Humans are by nature too complicated to be understood fully. So, we can choose either to approach our fellow human beings with suspicion or to approach them with an open mind, a dash of optimism and a great deal of candor."
    --Tom Hanks

  2. #2
    Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    5,634

    Default

    lol just based on your writing style i'm gonna go with ENFP. all your little asides and parenthetical comments seem very Ne to me. also speaking of your INFP sister holding her cards closer makes me feel ENFP might be right for you.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Maybe that's the Ne curse...seeing how one could fit into various types. Thanks for your response.

  4. #4
    Nyarlathotep ESFJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    Socionics - the16types.info - MBTI: Form of the Inferior Function

    Perhaps this may be of some use. You seem to have decided on ENFP for the time being, so this is just in case you wanted some additional info or way to discern.

    Additionally, from what I have observed with the 2 ENFP's in my life, Pe(in this case Ne) accepts then screens with Fi, Ji(In this case Fi) screens first then accepts.

    Also, if your enneagram typing is correct it would indeed stand to reason that you would be a more introverted ENFP, as 4 is a withdrawn type.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne
    Posts
    783

    Default

    What helped me a lot was looking at the Inferior function, so you might want to read up on Inferior Te (INFP) and then Inferior Si (ENFP).

  6. #6
    Senior Member yeghor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erintopia View Post
    I am certain this topic has been approached before, but I'll ask again. How do I know if I am truly ENFP or INFP? I have tested ENFP everywhere...but I was raised by an ISFP and and ESFJ. Both lead Fi and Fe. I feel like in my relationship w/ my ENTJ spouse; I am all Fi lead. It's really hard for me to see any kind of possibility with him in our encounters anymore because I know how the encounters will go. If I know how something is going to go time after time, then I'll stop trying to dig for a new way around the interaction and just go w/ what is routine. (It probably comes from years and years and years of trying to pull a little empathy out of his backpack.) With the general public I find myself Ne-ing the crap out of "what if" w/ regard to relationships. I also have no problem with problem sovling or coming up w/ ideas if it has to do with anyone BUT myself. I'm kind of funny that way. My Ne focuses greatly on the dynamic w/in relationship possibilities and ideas on how to make my relationships better. I am also a 4w5 7w6 9w1. I am new to enneagram, but it took me about a year to really nail down whether or not I was a 4 or a 9.

    My sister IS in fact INFP all the way around. I feel like she definitely plays the cards closer to her chest than I do. She's VERY intelligent. I know she has feels. All INFPs have them as deeply as any ENFP or NF for that matter....but sometimes I think INFPs are better at guarding or hiding them. That being said, I read a lot of stereotyping comments across FB (recently deactivated my acct after many years. Needed a break.) and other forums about INFPs. I guess it's just hard for me to tell at times what I lead with because % wise my Fe/Fi tend to be very close along w/ my Ne/Ni....my Perceiving is quite a bit higher than my Judging function and my E/I is pretty balanced as well. I'm one of the more shy ENFPs. I find I will defend ideas and people equally if there is a reason to do so. Keep in mind I've been tested professionally. I don't answer like I think I should answer. I answer to how I am and how I hear others perceive that I am.....but I find I am not the stereotypical bubbly, bouncy, puppy-like ENFP. I am quite serious...and maybe that's what I am struggling with....the idea that ENFPs look or act a certain way, when for so many of us it's just not the case. I also personally think male ENFPs behave differently from female ENFPs. (Don't worry I realize people can take that as a sexist comment....it's not meant to be one...it's just my personal opinion and observation of different ENFPs in the same room, over the years.) Do you think type is fluid in that we can rely on one function over another? I know I am extroverted simply because I draw my best energy around people in idea think tanks. That is when I am happiest....in a group setting discussing any old idea and forming plans and goals. I know my weaknesses and have learned to utilize help in the going the distance and finishing a project part of any goal. I think part of growing up is just learning what you're good at, and what you're not good at; then fully accepting it and learning to work w/ what is. (I am very good at doling out responsibilities to those I know can do well at different points in a project.)

    That being said, in my love relationships I've always lead w/ my feels more than my Ne...the Ne was rampant in the beginning for sure; but as I settled in I notice that I'm dealing more w/ Fi than Ne. Does that an INFP make?

    Soooooo in your opinion what are the biggest differences between ENFP and INFP, typically?
    Ne-dominants need constant external stimulation to keep themselves occupied, happy and distracted from their core issues.

    Also, please check the thread linked in my signature.

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    What helped me a lot was looking at the Inferior function, so you might want to read up on Inferior Te (INFP) and then Inferior Si (ENFP).
    Unless the poster is psychologically mature (mid 20s or older) I would focus more on the tertiary function.

    ENFPs will have developed Te to some extent by adulthood whereas INFPs may not use it at all.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Usually, if you have to ask: ENFP.

    Also, your writing style is much more Ne. Welcome to da club.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Unless the poster is psychologically mature (mid 20s or older) I would focus more on the tertiary function.

    ENFPs will have developed Te to some extent by adulthood whereas INFPs may not use it at all.
    Interesting you say this, because I noticed my Te much more than my Fi during my adolescence. It kind of gave me a bit of an edge. I thought I was ENTP for a while because of this, but now ENTP seems preposterous as I enter my mid 20's. I think Te can be very noticeable in ENFP's because it's a very blunt instrument. Fi is hard to directly see.

  9. #9
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Interesting you say this, because I noticed my Te much more than my Fi during my adolescence. It kind of gave me a bit of an edge. I thought I was ENTP for a while because of this, but now ENTP seems preposterous as I enter my mid 20's. I think Te can be very noticeable in ENFP's because it's a very blunt instrument. Fi is hard to directly see.
    You are male, though. Male ENFPs and INFJs I know have a tendency to overdevalop their tertiary, get a bit loopy, and occasionally mistype.

    I don't think MBTI takes gender differences in personality into account enough.

  10. #10
    Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    5,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Interesting you say this, because I noticed my Te much more than my Fi during my adolescence. It kind of gave me a bit of an edge. I thought I was ENTP for a while because of this, but now ENTP seems preposterous as I enter my mid 20's. I think Te can be very noticeable in ENFP's because it's a very blunt instrument. Fi is hard to directly see.
    +1

    (except for mistyping as ENTP. i didn't know mbti when i was young.)
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Similar Threads

  1. Ne or fi dominant, enfp or infp. Could you guys help?
    By Rajko in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-04-2014, 05:50 PM
  2. [INFJ] ENFPs or INFPs- Which are Better for INTJs?
    By Zarathustra in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 436
    Last Post: 11-18-2014, 05:23 AM
  3. [ENFP] ENFP or INFP?
    By raybeijo in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 11:38 PM
  4. ENFP or INFP? Heeeeelp, please!
    By cfs1992 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
  5. Is my brother ENFP or INFP?
    By KarenParker in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO