• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me out with my type? infj/infp?

Hufflecherry

I've been struggling trying to figure out my type lately and attempts to do research on the cognitive functions have only served to confuse me even more. Somehow I feel able to relate to all the functions, which probably means I'm just not getting it. I usually get type infp or infj when I do mbti tests online. I'm open to being any type, though!

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental*illness,*medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm a 17 year old girl. So I suppose my age could be an issue? Other than that, nothing that I know of.

1. Click on this link:*Flickr: Explore!*Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

The picture I chose depicted some green fields at sunset (or maybe sunrise?)

It almost looked like a painting. The way the light cast itself on the hills was especially breathtaking. It had a very serene look to it that made me feel very fuzzy inside.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favorite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

At first, a small part of me would probably be a tiny bit relieved since I find events like concerts exhausting. But if I truly were looking forward to it, I would probably feel irritated and apprehensive.

Outwardly, I think I would try to remain calm and keep the mood light, since it just becomes harder to come up with a solution if everyone's freaking out.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I would be very unhappy, and probably say so to the driver. Going to a concert would already have tired me out, going to a party straight afterwards would be overwhelming. If I don't get time to process impressions and things that I've experienced during the day in peace, I become snappy and withdrawn and that's not how I want my friends to see me.

I would probably end up suggesting having a vote. If a majority of the group wants to party, we'll go to the party. If most people just wants to go home, we'll go home.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

It depends on how close we are and how big the 'clash' is.

Unless it's one of my very, very close friends who I'm comfortable calling out, I probably wouldn't say anything, mostly because we would be in an enclosed space and I can get very worked up once I get started. If it would spiral out of control, none of us would be able to take a 'time out' to cool off.

If it's something I feel strongly about (and I do feel strongly about a lot of things) I would almost certainly be fuming on the inside, though. I would probably show my anger by giving the person my 'death glare' and be snappy with them for a while afterwards, just so they know I'm angry about what they said. Of course, this is a really childish and ineffective way to deal with things, since they might not understand what they said to set me off, but it's the only way I feel like I can get out my anger without direct confrontation.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I've always given my beliefs 'the benefit of the doubt', so to speak. I feel so strongly about them, I usually have a hard time accepting that they might be wrong.

I don't think I would dismiss it entirely, though. It could be a valuable 'puzzle piece' if I do feel the need to reevaluate what I think at some point.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

No matter how cliché it sounds: Kindness and understanding.

In general people being nasty to others, especially to individuals and groups who are already damaged and/or vulnerable (I have a serious thing for underdogs) enrages me. I would say that seeing that is wrong is just simple human decency, but then I look at how some people act and I'm not so sure.

I can't really say how my beliefs change. It's such a fluid process I can't really detect it when it's happening.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a) I'm incapable of getting bored. Whenever I'm in a situation others would find excruciatingly boring I just sink into 'fantasy-land', and stay there until something or someone snaps me out of it.

b) I want to be a calmer person. I wish I could have arguments and emotional conversations with my friends without it ending with me bawling my eyes out. I cry when I'm angry, frustrated, sad, happy. I always tear up.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I'm weary of them. To me, acting on a hunch is a leap of faith. It can either go painfully wrong or wonderfully right. To be honest, I feel like my hunches are wrong more often then they're right, which is discouraging.

My hunches are usually triggered in social situations. I'll get the feeling that 'oh, this person wants someone to talk with' or 'that person is angry with me and I should probably leave them alone'. It comes up a lot when I first meet someone. I'll have a feeling about whether I'm going to like this person or not, and that first impression always sticks with me for a very, very long time.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a) Reading, listening to music, sleeping, playing video games and being alone.

b) Socializing and analyzing things (I'll end up analyzing something over and over. Come to a conclusion. Doubt that conclusion. Rinse and repeat until I'm exhausted)

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

Balancing standing up for myself and sparing the feelings of others can be difficult. I don't want others to feel stupid or bad when I don't think they meant to hurt me. So sometimes I'll repress that anger. This means I'll sometimes end up taking abuse until I suddenly just decide that enough is enough and I cut that person out of my life. (Or at least I tell myself I'm going to cut them out but I often end up being too much of a wuss to actually do it)

I hate thinking of myself as mean or unfair, so I always feel incredibly guilty when I think something nasty about someone. I push away those thoughts, more for my sake than others. They don't fit the image of who I want to be.

renaiziphonts

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
9W1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, you definitely sound like an INF, but answer these function questions for me and I can help?

On a scale of one to ten, how easy is it for you to share emotions?
---Do emotions feel like an important internal part of yourself?

On a scale of one to ten, how easy is it for you to share strong ideas (eureka moments)?
---Do ideas and concepts seem like they define you internally, or the world around you?

On a scale of one to ten, how easy is it for you to logically process data?
---Do you process data in retrospect?

On a scale of one to ten, how easy is it for you for collect data or observe details?
---Does data connect to you on an emotional level?

Hufflecherry

On a scale of one to ten, how easy is it for you to share emotions?
---Do emotions feel like an important internal part of yourself?

I would say 7. I share them quite easily with everyone. I'm very expressive, especially when it comes to facial expressions, so even if I'm not verbalising what I feel I'll (sometimes deliberately) try to express myself with body language and my face.

-Yes. How I think and feel about things are going to effect almost every decision I make.

On a scale of one to ten, how easy is it for you to share strong ideas (eureka moments)?
---Do ideas and concepts seem like they define you internally, or the world around you?

I can be shy about sharing my 'eureka moments' because I don't want people to end up laughing at them (or well, me) especially when I'm, for example, working with others on something. I can't help but be scared that there's a flaw in my idea I've somehow missed and I don't want to seem arrogant either, like I think I have better ideas than everyone else, so I'll mostly keep them for myself. Four.

-My ideas and concepts defines me internally as a person, I think. Even if my ideas are about how things should work in the outside world it's always more 'Oh, so that's what I think about it!' than 'Let's do that!'.

On a scale of one to ten, how easy is it for you to logically process data?
---Do you process data in retrospect?

Six. I'm not a genuis by any means, but I am capable of seeing things from a logical perspective and structuring them in my head. However the meaning and feelings behind things is what I prioritize when I'm looking at anything.

-If something happens too quickly for me to process right away, I usually feel like I have to wait for a while before I truly can begin looking and thinking about it. And then I'll usually regret things I might have decided to do or say, and run the situation through my head again and again, worrying about whether I did or said the right thing. I rarely properly process things when they're happening.

On a scale of one to ten, how easy is it for you for collect data or observe details?
---Does data connect to you on an emotional level?

Details aren't the first things I notice. First I notice the bigger picture or what the principle behind the bigger picture is, then i might see the details. And I really only collect data spontaneously when I find something interesting, otherwise I'm pretty cut off. So four, maybe.

-It depends, of course. If there's actual emotional value in the data I've recieved It'll connect to me in an emotional manner. I'll usually try to discern what something really means and what it mean to me, if that's what you mean.

renaiziphonts

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
9W1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would say 7. I share them quite easily with everyone. I'm very expressive, especially when it comes to facial expressions, so even if I'm not verbalising what I feel I'll (sometimes deliberately) try to express myself with body language and my face.

-Yes. How I think and feel about things are going to effect almost every decision I make.

I can be shy about sharing my 'eureka moments' because I don't want people to end up laughing at them (or well, me) especially when I'm, for example, working with others on something. I can't help but be scared that there's a flaw in my idea I've somehow missed and I don't want to seem arrogant either, like I think I have better ideas than everyone else, so I'll mostly keep them for myself. Four.

-My ideas and concepts defines me internally as a person, I think. Even if my ideas are about how things should work in the outside world it's always more 'Oh, so that's what I think about it!' than 'Let's do that!'.

Six. I'm not a genuis by any means, but I am capable of seeing things from a logical perspective and structuring them in my head. However the meaning and feelings behind things is what I prioritize when I'm looking at anything.

-If something happens too quickly for me to process right away, I usually feel like I have to wait for a while before I truly can begin looking and thinking about it. And then I'll usually regret things I might have decided to do or say, and run the situation through my head again and again, worrying about whether I did or said the right thing. I rarely properly process things when they're happening.

Details aren't the first things I notice. First I notice the bigger picture or what the principle behind the bigger picture is, then i might see the details. And I really only collect data spontaneously when I find something interesting, otherwise I'm pretty cut off. So four, maybe.

-It depends, of course. If there's actual emotional value in the data I've recieved It'll connect to me in an emotional manner. I'll usually try to discern what something really means and what it mean to me, if that's what you mean.

Okay, this lines up fairly well with INFJs. I know a few, and they all tend to share a few similar traits.
Firstly: All the INFJs I know want to help people with emotional and personal issues, even if at a cost to themselves. If you feel others emotions strongly, that lines up as well.
Secondly: I don't know enough about this to truly explain it, but all INFJs I've known have referred to "walls" inside themselves as emotional barriers and rules to help cope with the world. Does that make any sense?
Thirdly, A lot of INFJs have a tendency to hold emotional value in emotions and senses. Sort of like synesthesia. That might be more an observation than a fact though.

More importantly, your primary function would be Introverted Intuition.
This can be seen in making important discoveries and and innovations in retrospect, rather than in a field. Often it would be easier to think about things alone, or to keep your thoughts to yourself.

Your secondary function would be Extroverted Feeling.
Feelings would be your main method of connecting with the world. You relate best when you can connect to people on an emotional level, but you tend to also take other peoples emotion's personally. Anger and fear may seem directed at you, and anxiety and sadness may become a problem for you to fix in others.

Your third function would be Introverted Thinking.
You would have to process logic internally, and rules would be important for maintaining a stable state of mind. Rules are more a part of you than they are for others, similar to the walls I mentioned above.

Your final function would be Extroverted Sensing.
You would have trouble recognizing or truly receiving sensory data. This could be seen in forgetting details, or ignoring data. It might not be a noticeable problem, or it might be crippling, but you can often supplement it with emotional stimuli. If you build an synesthetic connection between colors and emotions, for example, you could process

Hufflecherry

Wow, this is really accurate.

Firstly: All the INFJs I know want to help people with emotional and personal issues, even if at a cost to themselves. If you feel others emotions strongly, that lines up as well.
Secondly: I don't know enough about this to truly explain it, but all INFJs I've known have referred to "walls" inside themselves as emotional barriers and rules to help cope with the world. Does that make any sense?
Thirdly, A lot of INFJs have a tendency to hold emotional value in emotions and senses. Sort of like synesthesia. That might be more an observation than a fact though.

I always feel very distressed when people around me put themselves down or just if they're having a hard time in general, and my ideal job would involve counseling of some sort, so that fits.

I think I know what you mean by the rules and emotional barriers, but I'm not sure. For example, If I feel like I've been mistreated for too long I won't attempt working it out, I'll just try to cut them off (or well, set up an emotional barrier) as soon as possible. And having rules I expect both myself and others to follow makes relationships easier to navigate.

Your final function would be Extroverted Sensing.
You would have trouble recognizing or truly receiving sensory data. This could be seen in forgetting details, or ignoring data. It might not be a noticeable problem, or it might be crippling, but you can often supplement it with emotional stimuli. If you build an synesthetic connection between colors and emotions, for example, you could process

This was really interesting and relateable. I've always had a bad memory. I have no trouble remembering how I felt or thought about a certain situation but I can never remember how something really played out. This has been a big problem for me, since sometimes I might be holding grudges without really remembering what got me angry in the first place.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean by 'synesthetic connection' but I do tend to associate scents, tastes, colours etc. with memories and/or places that often hold emotional value (both good and bad) to me.

renaiziphonts

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
9W1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wow, this is really accurate.

I always feel very distressed when people around me put themselves down or just if they're having a hard time in general, and my ideal job would involve counseling of some sort, so that fits.

I think I know what you mean by the rules and emotional barriers, but I'm not sure. For example, If I feel like I've been mistreated for too long I won't attempt working it out, I'll just try to cut them off (or well, set up an emotional barrier) as soon as possible. And having rules I expect both myself and others to follow makes relationships easier to navigate.

This was really interesting and relateable. I've always had a bad memory. I have no trouble remembering how I felt or thought about a certain situation but I can never remember how something really played out. This has been a big problem for me, since sometimes I might be holding grudges without really remembering what got me angry in the first place.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean by 'synesthetic connection' but I do tend to associate scents, tastes, colours etc. with memories and/or places that often hold emotional value (both good and bad) to me.
Yeah! That sounds a lot like an INFJ. And I meant Synesthesia. The association between (typically) letters and colors/emotions. I have some synesthesia, but not with letters, but with sounds and feelings. In psychology it can either be a learned association, or a neural pathway shortcut. Either way, that's a big thing for INFJs.

And yeah! You sound a lot like an INFJ though. The structure and the emotional focus are the key things, but if you can read more at Portrait of an INFJ Actually, I have a friend who's INFJ, and she always says that finding out she was an INFJ was one of the most important hings for her. Before that she felt alienated and used the 'walls' to define how she should behave to fit in. I guess knowing that there were others like her meant she didn't have to pretend to fit in.