Thread: What is type?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default What is type?

Here is a draft of an intro section for the FAQ on type in general. Thoughts/feedback?

What is type?

The best way to think about type is that it provides a little bit of information about you as a person. Humans are far too complex to be defined by a series of letters and numbers. Our DNA, our surroundings, the culture we live in, our life experience and choices – these things help to shape us as individuals. Type is merely one way to aid in understanding. The best way to think about it then is that type can provide information or data points about us as individuals.

There are many different systems out there and new ones are being created as time goes on. Some die out. Others gain acceptance and as more is written about them, professional certifications are created related to testing instruments. Some examples of typing systems include the Myers Briggs Type Indicator, Eneagram, Socionics, Gallup StrengthsFinder, Big 5, and DISC. On this forum, the two most popular ones are based on Jungian Cognitive functions (e.g., MBTI™) and Enneagram. There is a wealth of information available about both, which provides a rich set of information for practical use. HR consultants, personal coaches, counselors and others use these systems as a tool in their profession.

These systems have a variety of practical uses or applications but the primary ones are that they provide tools for you to:
    • Understand yourself better
    • Understand others better
    • Understand the dynamics behind conflict between individuals
    • Understand how different types can complement each other
    • Support personal development
    • Facilitate more effective communication and interaction

Some good introductory videos are:

Introduction to Personality Type

Introduction to Typology

Introversion/Extraversion Primer

Introverted and Extraverted Cognitive Functions

Dario Nardi Talks About Cognitive Functions

Introduction to Enneagram

There are a variety of good books out there as well. Some good introductory ones are:

Enneagram

MBTI and Cognitive Functions

Last edited by highlander; 06-27-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Default The Meaning of Typology

Typology is the study of types. Here it means the study of personality types, but typology also means the study of literary types, the study of battle types, the study of musical types, the study of animal and plant types, the study of types of ideas, etc. In fact typology means the study of any kind of type. So we might say typology is the abstract study of type.

Here we call our site Typology Central for political or business reasons. We were told we could not use 'MBTI' in our title, so as second best we called ourselves the anodyne 'Typology Central'.

But actually our title 'Typology Central' is a fraud, quite like astrology or mbti.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Any feedback on this? The idea is to start populating the FAQ this kind of stuff. The forum rules has been separated off into a different tab.

Feel free to edit what I posted.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Good information!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I might add a bit to the "tools provided":

• Provide a better understanding of one's type's typical weaknesses, and how to compensate.
    • Provide a more precise template for discovering how you don't (and do) follow the patterns for your type (rather than general "compared to most folks" approach). This may be grist for additional self reflection and insight.

I'd be also tempted to add a "what type is NOT" section:

• Your type is not complete and precise definition of you, your true self, and all that you are or can be. In practice there are a limited number of types, and at best each is a general pattern or template. You, as an individual, will never match any given type precisely in every detail. Keep in mind the idea "best fit," rather than "perfect fit." Even so, it may be that two types describe you equally well and you may have to flip a coin to decide, or you may just accept that there's not even a "best fit" type for you.
    • Your type is not a way to confer virtues and abilities you wish you had. Deciding on a type will not make you suddenly insightful, selfless, powerful, strong, sensitive, or intelligent. Nor will it, conversely, make you weak and vulnerable.
    • Your type is not a way to excuse all your shortcomings as forgivable and/or unchangeable. You don't get to opt out of areas of life "because you are an INTP" or "because you are an enneagram type 4." We all have to find a balance between who we are and how to successfully adapt to our environment. While your type may allow you step down from judging yourself overly harshly for a particular shortcoming, your type is not a "get out of jail free" card.

I'm sure there're more things others can add.

Enneagram
    9w8

I have watched the first video and found it insightful, especially the analysis of why people type differently at different times in their lives. I'm going to watch the others and may have questions or responses. Thanks for tagging me. This is a worthwhile thread.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I agree with @Seymour -- great idea!

Also, I think there could be something on how no type or function is inferior, but just different.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Type is a habitual attitude of orienting your psyche via some functions over others.

Nuff said . If i were to write some faq on type, i would probably start with that and then start to open what the functions and other stuff are. The video series that you posted one part here too explains all that really well, but maybe some info from jung lexicon or psytypes might be handy as well.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

What the hell is Nardi wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What the hell is Nardi wearing?
    If it wasn't much you could say nardi a thing