• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's my type?

PatBateman

So I found this form being used in different type me threads with a response rate above average, so I figured I'd use it.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

explore-2014-06-15

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scg/14245001268/in/explore-2014-06-15

I'm not sure what exactly impression means, I though about the kinetic energy required to make the wave in the first place, what cause it, was it the wind or perhaps an earthquake along a fault line. The light is being broken like through a prism and you can see some buildings in the background, I wonder who took the picture, and how. The picture appears to be taken under water, so it could be an underwater camera, but it could also be a photoshop illusion or worked in photoshop.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

My first impulse is to curse loudly, the second is to try and work out what happened to the car and figuring out how to fix it. Plus find the guilty party and make sure they never make the same mistake again.

It'll probably be a reaction pattern similar to curse -> face goes dead while I work out what happened -> Tell people how to fix it.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the after party that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I'm pretty sure they're going to be drinking, while means I need to find a second plan for how to get home since they'll most likely be sloshed within the hour. I'm not overly exited about being exposed to people more than I already have been on the car ride there, during the concert, then the party and then on the drive home, but there may be some interesting people there.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I'd most likely start asking questions as to why they hold that belief, inquire into whether or not there is evidence in favor of their belief. I'd get into a discussion about it, go at him/her pretty hard just to figure out why, and if their belief is justified. Anyone can hold a belief, the question is whether it makes sense to hold it, based on a "cost-benefit" paradigm.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I'd research the topic/experience and see if there is information that makes it clear that I should change my belief, if my perception of my experiences were wrong or if my habits have been formed on less than ideal information they should be changed. I think habits, perceptions and beliefs are largely flexible and have to be viewed with a degree of mistrust.

I don't tend to trust experience, because of the subjective nature it has. Your recollection of events is always going to be flawed in some way, and is vulnerable to a range of cognitive bias that tend to mess it up.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Always be well informed if you're arguing or debating something, you are entitled to an informed opinion, not to pull things out of your rear end. Ultimately everything has to be determined by logical soundness, the logic must hold and the facts have to support the logic. If the facts change then the beliefs or values may need to change.

There are fundamental principles out there, such as "keep your knowledge updated", "try to remain objective in a discussion" and "If emotions are just instincts, you can ignore them". However most of what we do or have come to believe is really just a reflection of individual perceptions, and it thus follows that for anything to be truly valuable it has to be available to observe, to test and experiment with.

I think the most important value I hold is to always ask questions and always probe deeper into something. There is a certain reverse correlation between the correctness of what you assert and the certainty with which you assert it.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

A) I take a probabilistic view of everything, and most of the time I find that I "distill" what I read into my own. I'm also stubborn when I've made up my mind, because based on the time and effort I've spent researching a topic, most people haven't put in near the effort so their insight has to be limited. I'm also pretty blunt most of the time.

B) I'd like to be more conscious of my surroundings at times, I'm very good at getting things done, and making things happen. My home can be a mess for weeks, then I clean everything in a 45 minute sprint, only to let it become a mess again, or I'll forget to eat or sleep for a few days.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

A lot of the time I'll have a hunch when I hear or read something, it's sort of like a "He's full of shit" alarm, or "Look here for longer". I tend to take them seriously, and find that I'm usually right when I do my reading on the topic.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

A) I like a lively debate in a small group, I can also do really big groups where I'm talking "at" the group rather than with it. I also enjoy reading, doing word games in my head and simple things like cooking, lifting weights and watching TV.

B) I really dislike big events like social events at work, weddings, birthday parties and so on, I only go if there are good networking opportunities or something I hope to gain from it. The pressure to "be polite" which is a synonym for "Don't speak your mind" really bugs me.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I've been quoted as saying "If you think what I said was horrible, you should have heard it before I toned it down". I'm critical by nature and I'm always poking at things to find things that can be improved, or need to be improved.

Thanks in advance.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You sound INTx to me. Maybe 5w6. :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can you elaborate on why?

Sure. Lots of focus on information and quality and source, as well as awareness of there being so much more information out there to learn and know, suggest T and 5 to me. Tracing reasons, cause/effect, contingency planning, and skepticism suggest w6. Your language seems to link to abstract concepts and principles, hence NT - also being critical by nature and lack of environmental awareness. The affinity for "poking holes" seems specifically NTP, particularly INTP. I also get more of a sense of I than E from what you've said about preferences for interacting with people - either preferring a small group or speaking "at" a larger group ).

Your instinct stacking is of interest to me. Rare to see more suggestion of soc than sp out of an IxTx, though maybe I'm misreading inferior Fe or something. I don't feel strongly enough about it to make a solid guess. I recommend the variant test at similarminds.com if you have any interest.

PatBateman

Could I interest you in this test?

Free Enneagram Personality Test

Results:

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||| 54%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||| 18%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 4 Individualism |||||||||| 34%
Type 5 Intellectualism |||||||||||||||||| 74%
Type 6 Security Focus |||||||||||| 46%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||| 34%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||| 38%

type score type behavior motivation
5 18 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
8 17 I must be strong and in control to survive.
3 16 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
1 13 I must be perfect and good to survive.
6 11 I must be secure and safe to survive.
9 9 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
4 8 I must be unique/different to survive.
7 8 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
2 4 I must be helpful and caring to survive.

yeghor

Results:

Type 1 Perfectionism||||||||||||||54%
Type 2Helpfulness||||18%
Type 3Image Focus||||||||||||||||66%
Type 4Individualism||||||||||34%
Type 5Intellectualism||||||||||||||||||74%
Type 6Security Focus||||||||||||46%
Type 7Adventurousness||||||||||34%
Type 8Aggressiveness||||||||||||||||70%
Type 9Calmness||||||||||38%

typescoretype behavior motivation
518 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
817 I must be strong and in control to survive.
316 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
113 I must be perfect and good to survive.
611 I must be secure and safe to survive.
99 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
48 I must be unique/different to survive.
78 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
24 I must be helpful and caring to survive.

5w6 8w9 3w4 1w9 = Ti Se Fe Ni ~ xSTP

PatBateman

I did this test over on Keys2cognition just now

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ****************************** (30.7)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************* (25.7)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************ (24.7)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************************** (42.8)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************************************** (47.2)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *************************** (27.8)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********** (11.3)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************** (29.6)
average use

PatBateman

Another one:

ideal you |||||| real you ||||||
Introversion |||||||||||| 43%
|||||||||||||| 56%
Extroversion |||||||||||||||| 63%
|||||||||||| 43%
Intuitive |||||||||||||| 60%
|||||||||||||| 60%
Sensing |||||||||||||| 53%
|||||||||||| 46%
Feeling |||||||||| 33%
|||||| 30%
Thinking |||||||||||||||| 66%
|||||||||||||||| 66%
Judging |||||||||||||||| 70%
|||||||||||||| 56%
Perceiving |||||||||||| 43%
|||||||||| 33%
ideal type - ENTJ, real type - INTJ

type ideal real type behavior
I -2 2 quiet, private, few friends
E 4 -2 outgoing, expressive, many friends
N 3 3 random, mysterious, non linear
S 1 -1 sequential, factual, practical
F -5 -6 emotional, passionate, selfless
T 5 5 willful, stoic, self reliant
J 6 2 planned, regimented, orderly
P -2 -5 spontaneous, playful, fun

yeghor

Another one:

ideal you |||||| real you ||||||
Introversion |||||||||||| 43%
|||||||||||||| 56%
Extroversion |||||||||||||||| 63%
|||||||||||| 43%
Intuitive |||||||||||||| 60%
|||||||||||||| 60%
Sensing |||||||||||||| 53%
|||||||||||| 46%
Feeling |||||||||| 33%
|||||| 30%
Thinking |||||||||||||||| 66%
|||||||||||||||| 66%
Judging |||||||||||||||| 70%
|||||||||||||| 56%
Perceiving |||||||||||| 43%
|||||||||| 33%
ideal type - ENTJ, real type - INTJ

type ideal real type behavior
I -2 2 quiet, private, few friends
E 4 -2 outgoing, expressive, many friends
N 3 3 random, mysterious, non linear
S 1 -1 sequential, factual, practical
F -5 -6 emotional, passionate, selfless
T 5 5 willful, stoic, self reliant
J 6 2 planned, regimented, orderly
P -2 -5 spontaneous, playful, fun

Are you physically aggressive and prone to exploding in rage?

PatBateman

Are you physically aggressive and prone to exploding in rage?

I've been told that I have an aggressive body language/conversational style. I used to be more prone to exploding when I was younger, I'm still pretty volatile though.

yeghor

I've been told that I have an aggressive body language/conversational style. I used to be more prone to exploding when I was younger, I'm still pretty volatile though.
that is the Se function

yeghor

Where are you getting the Se = angry/aggressive? Or are you referring to SPs being mercurial?

I don't know about that. It's just based on my dealings with ESxPs IRL. Se and Ne = id, that is to say, primal desires of the individual like pleasure-seeking and gratification.

Edit: Se gives such an individual uncontrolled physical impulses, like aggressiveness and promiscuity. Or the other way around, dominant Se function is a representation of such a nature.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know about that. It's just based on my dealings with ESxPs IRL. Se and Ne = id, that is to say, primal desires of the individual like pleasure-seeking and gratification.

Edit: Se gives such an individual uncontrolled physical impulses, like aggressiveness and promiscuity. Or the other way around, dominant Se function is a representation of such a nature.

You are definitely glomming together disparate concepts, once again.

While I couldn't find studies available on the MBTI and promiscuity, Big 5 studies indicate that promiscuity is related to extraversion and, to a lesser degree, to low agreeableness and conscientiousness: in approximate MBTI terms it is associated with E, and then T and P. Promiscuity is also related to more openness (approximately N) and neuroticism, but those were weaker links that varied across culture.

Violence and aggression, on the other hand, seem to be correlated with low agreeableness (~low F: T) and higher openness (~N) and neuroticism, and don't seem to be correlated with conscientiousness (J/P) directly.

As always, working with correlations of correlations doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, but associating something like "the Id" directly with particular Jungian functions will lead you astray in terms of associations, value judgments and predictions.

EDIT: as far as the OP goes, I'd go with INTx, as well. Probably introverted (not into more socializing after socializing). Intuitive because of the interest in understand why someone believes what they do, and basing things on probabilistic models. There's also a sense of being at a conceptual remove from experience, which I associate more with N than S (although more info would be helpful). Thinking because of the emphasis on correctness and dislike of the constraints of being polite.

As far as J vs P, I'd guess P is slightly more likely, but only given statements about wanting to understand deeply BEFORE judging, and then hating to change one's mind after. That sounds a little like more like perceiving. Still, not enough to go on, really.

PatBateman

EDIT: as far as the OP goes, I'd go with INTx, as well. Probably introverted (not into more socializing after socializing). Intuitive because of the interest in understand why someone believes what they do, and basing things on probabilistic models. There's also a sense of being at a conceptual remove from experience, which I associate more with N than S (although more info would be helpful). Thinking because of the emphasis on correctness and dislike of the constraints of being polite.

As far as J vs P, I'd guess P is slightly more likely, but only given statements about wanting to understand deeply BEFORE judging, and then hating to change one's mind after. That sounds a little like more like perceiving. Still, not enough to go on, really.

What kind of information are you looking for?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What kind of information are you looking for?

I guess for J/P, I'd ask about your relationship with deadlines, for one thing. So, let's say you have a long term project that's too big to do in one stretch... how would you typically go about completing it, in practice? How time aware are you generally?

Also, how directing or informing does your language tend to be? (See communication styles for some examples of directing vs informing, and for how this interacts with type see the interaction styles.)

PatBateman

I guess for J/P, I'd ask about your relationship with deadlines, for one thing. So, let's say you have a long term project that's too big to do in one stretch... how would you typically go about completing it, in practice? How time aware are you generally?

Also, how directing or informing does your language tend to be? (See communication styles for some examples of directing vs informing, and for how this interacts with type see the interaction styles.)

My view on deadlines is that the meaning should be "If you do not finish before it, you will be killed". I hate it when people do not deliver what they've said they'd deliver when they need to deliver it.

I just landed a $1m+ IT project, and my approach was to figure out what had to be done, how things fit together, and then delegate possible tasks and deadlines to the people involved, so that things got broken down into a measurable chunks, that way I could keep track of where in the process we were, which let me focus on the long-term goals.

Time is the only finite resource we have, and can't get more of, thus we should make sure to use it in the most efficient manner.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My view on deadlines is that the meaning should be "If you do not finish before it, you will be killed". I hate it when people do not deliver what they've said they'd deliver when they need to deliver it.

I just landed a $1m+ IT project, and my approach was to figure out what had to be done, how things fit together, and then delegate possible tasks and deadlines to the people involved, so that things got broken down into a measurable chunks, that way I could keep track of where in the process we were, which let me focus on the long-term goals.

Time is the only finite resource we have, and can't get more of, thus we should make sure to use it in the most efficient manner.

So, to me that sounds more like Te (J) rather than Ti (P), although one can also learn from experience. How structured/unstructured do you prefer your non-work time to be? If you are planning a vacation, how detailed are you plans? Do you have a longer term life goals, with milestones?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

So, to me that sounds more like Te (J) rather than Ti (P), although one can also learn from experience. How structured/unstructured do you prefer your non-work time to be? If you are planning a vacation, how detailed are you plans? Do you have a longer term life goals, with milestones?