User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: What's my type?

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    Are you physically aggressive and prone to exploding in rage?
    I've been told that I have an aggressive body language/conversational style. I used to be more prone to exploding when I was younger, I'm still pretty volatile though.

  2. #12
    Senior Member yeghor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
    I've been told that I have an aggressive body language/conversational style. I used to be more prone to exploding when I was younger, I'm still pretty volatile though.
    that is the Se function

  3. #13
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    that is the Se function
    Where are you getting the Se = angry/aggressive? Or are you referring to SPs being mercurial?

  4. #14
    Senior Member yeghor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Where are you getting the Se = angry/aggressive? Or are you referring to SPs being mercurial?
    I don't know about that. It's just based on my dealings with ESxPs IRL. Se and Ne = id, that is to say, primal desires of the individual like pleasure-seeking and gratification.

    Edit: Se gives such an individual uncontrolled physical impulses, like aggressiveness and promiscuity. Or the other way around, dominant Se function is a representation of such a nature.

  5. #15
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    I don't know about that. It's just based on my dealings with ESxPs IRL. Se and Ne = id, that is to say, primal desires of the individual like pleasure-seeking and gratification.

    Edit: Se gives such an individual uncontrolled physical impulses, like aggressiveness and promiscuity. Or the other way around, dominant Se function is a representation of such a nature.
    You are definitely glomming together disparate concepts, once again.

    While I couldn't find studies available on the MBTI and promiscuity, Big 5 studies indicate that promiscuity is related to extraversion and, to a lesser degree, to low agreeableness and conscientiousness: in approximate MBTI terms it is associated with E, and then T and P. Promiscuity is also related to more openness (approximately N) and neuroticism, but those were weaker links that varied across culture.

    Violence and aggression, on the other hand, seem to be correlated with low agreeableness (~low F: T) and higher openness (~N) and neuroticism, and don't seem to be correlated with conscientiousness (J/P) directly.

    As always, working with correlations of correlations doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, but associating something like "the Id" directly with particular Jungian functions will lead you astray in terms of associations, value judgments and predictions.

    EDIT: as far as the OP goes, I'd go with INTx, as well. Probably introverted (not into more socializing after socializing). Intuitive because of the interest in understand why someone believes what they do, and basing things on probabilistic models. There's also a sense of being at a conceptual remove from experience, which I associate more with N than S (although more info would be helpful). Thinking because of the emphasis on correctness and dislike of the constraints of being polite.

    As far as J vs P, I'd guess P is slightly more likely, but only given statements about wanting to understand deeply BEFORE judging, and then hating to change one's mind after. That sounds a little like more like perceiving. Still, not enough to go on, really.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post

    EDIT: as far as the OP goes, I'd go with INTx, as well. Probably introverted (not into more socializing after socializing). Intuitive because of the interest in understand why someone believes what they do, and basing things on probabilistic models. There's also a sense of being at a conceptual remove from experience, which I associate more with N than S (although more info would be helpful). Thinking because of the emphasis on correctness and dislike of the constraints of being polite.

    As far as J vs P, I'd guess P is slightly more likely, but only given statements about wanting to understand deeply BEFORE judging, and then hating to change one's mind after. That sounds a little like more like perceiving. Still, not enough to go on, really.
    What kind of information are you looking for?

  7. #17
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
    What kind of information are you looking for?
    I guess for J/P, I'd ask about your relationship with deadlines, for one thing. So, let's say you have a long term project that's too big to do in one stretch... how would you typically go about completing it, in practice? How time aware are you generally?

    Also, how directing or informing does your language tend to be? (See communication styles for some examples of directing vs informing, and for how this interacts with type see the interaction styles.)

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I guess for J/P, I'd ask about your relationship with deadlines, for one thing. So, let's say you have a long term project that's too big to do in one stretch... how would you typically go about completing it, in practice? How time aware are you generally?

    Also, how directing or informing does your language tend to be? (See communication styles for some examples of directing vs informing, and for how this interacts with type see the interaction styles.)
    My view on deadlines is that the meaning should be "If you do not finish before it, you will be killed". I hate it when people do not deliver what they've said they'd deliver when they need to deliver it.

    I just landed a $1m+ IT project, and my approach was to figure out what had to be done, how things fit together, and then delegate possible tasks and deadlines to the people involved, so that things got broken down into a measurable chunks, that way I could keep track of where in the process we were, which let me focus on the long-term goals.

    Time is the only finite resource we have, and can't get more of, thus we should make sure to use it in the most efficient manner.

  9. #19
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
    My view on deadlines is that the meaning should be "If you do not finish before it, you will be killed". I hate it when people do not deliver what they've said they'd deliver when they need to deliver it.

    I just landed a $1m+ IT project, and my approach was to figure out what had to be done, how things fit together, and then delegate possible tasks and deadlines to the people involved, so that things got broken down into a measurable chunks, that way I could keep track of where in the process we were, which let me focus on the long-term goals.

    Time is the only finite resource we have, and can't get more of, thus we should make sure to use it in the most efficient manner.
    So, to me that sounds more like Te (J) rather than Ti (P), although one can also learn from experience. How structured/unstructured do you prefer your non-work time to be? If you are planning a vacation, how detailed are you plans? Do you have a longer term life goals, with milestones?

  10. #20
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
    My view on deadlines is that the meaning should be "If you do not finish before it, you will be killed". I hate it when people do not deliver what they've said they'd deliver when they need to deliver it.

    I just landed a $1m+ IT project, and my approach was to figure out what had to be done, how things fit together, and then delegate possible tasks and deadlines to the people involved, so that things got broken down into a measurable chunks, that way I could keep track of where in the process we were, which let me focus on the long-term goals.

    Time is the only finite resource we have, and can't get more of, thus we should make sure to use it in the most efficient manner.
    So, to me that sounds more like Te (J) rather than Ti (P), although one can also learn from experience. How structured/unstructured do you prefer your non-work time to be? If you are planning a vacation, how detailed are you plans? Do you have a longer term life goals, with milestones?

Similar Threads

  1. So what's my type ?
    By entropie in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 11:58 PM
  2. So what is my type ?
    By entropie in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 04:27 AM
  3. What's My Type?
    By MuraKoji in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 09:07 AM
  4. Results are here. What's my type?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 09:46 AM
  5. What's my type,
    By Tigerlily in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 02:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO