User Tag List

123 Last

Default Marginal or no preference? Wtf

I recently took the humanmetrics test online, and I keep switching between INTJ and INFJ. The results are always consistent with the I N and J, but it lists my preference for either F or T as 1% depending on what result I get, saying I have marginal or no preference of thinking over feeling or vice versa. After reading both descriptions, I feel that neither really fits me perfectly and that I am a combination of both depending on the situation... However I know this is not possible since the 2nd and 3rd core functions are different for both. Help?

Enneagram

I find these sorts of problems result from a fundamental misunderstanding of the functions. Tests are pretty awful and usually only serve as rough starting points. If I were you, I'd google Jung's descriptions of the functions from Psychological Types.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Definitly magical

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoid View Post
    I recently took the humanmetrics test online, and I keep switching between INTJ and INFJ. The results are always consistent with the I N and J, but it lists my preference for either F or T as 1% depending on what result I get, saying I have marginal or no preference of thinking over feeling or vice versa. After reading both descriptions, I feel that neither really fits me perfectly and that I am a combination of both depending on the situation... However I know this is not possible since the 2nd and 3rd core functions are different for both. Help?
    http://intjforum.com/showthread.php?t=14754

Good thread, read through it...

Yes I tried to determine my type from those. Ni, and a balance of Fe and Te are most applicable to me. Neither Fi or Ti are something that I use consistently from the descriptions that I have read, which is why I took the online test hoping it would provide some clarity.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoid View Post
    Yes I tried to determine my type from those. Ni, and a balance of Fe and Te are most applicable to me. Neither Fi or Ti are something that I use consistently from the descriptions that I have read, which is why I took the online test hoping it would provide some clarity.
    Take a cognitive function test here http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm and C & P your results here. Don't try and determine your type directly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Consider how you operate in daily life - do you use your understanding of interpersonal relations to act in ways that improve your situation, or do you use your understanding of logistics to increase efficiency and efficacy? Everyone does both to some extent, but there is usually a fairly clear answer to whether you tend to "play chess" with people systems or thing systems, and whether you tend to focus on the personal or impersonal. IxxJs often tend to feel like they are strong in both T and F, but typically one is used more mentally to understand the "setup" of the world while the other is put into action more to navigate the external world.

"INTJs have a preference for extraverted Thinking as their auxiliary process. Thus, they are given to "segmenting" -- which includes measuring things with objective criteria. They will naturally calculate how long something will take, how soon the next event will occur, and enjoy telling you about these measurements. They like organizing for efficiency, systematizing, structuring. Their tendency is to provide you with their rationales: "The reason I'm late is because it took me 15 minutes longer on the freeway than it normally does. I was only able to maintain a speed of 25 mph, compared to my normal speed of 40 mph." And so forth. These rationales and measurements are very important to INTJs. They especially love to predict how long something is going to take, and their wristwatch is probably among their prize possessions. They collect trivial facts constantly, and can probably tell you all the contents of their medicine cabinet -- including the proper names for all their pharmaceuticals. Just ask them about their computer -- they'll tell you the processor speed, memory size, hard disk capacity, operating system version, and network capabilities. Chances are they've even memorized the Periodic Table of Elements."

Exactly.

"INFJs have a preference for extraverted Feeling as their auxiliary process. Thus, they tend to be "charming" and are given to "connecting" -- which includes maintaining an extensive web of relationships. They are given to adjusting to and accommodating others, deciding whether something is appropriate or acceptable to others. If she were to dine with others, she would be concerned that the food appeal to everyone's tastes, there are no food allergies, and that the price is within everyone's budget (if it's a restaurant)."

This is also extremely accurate.

"In the INTJ pattern, the tertiary process is for introverted Feeling. Thus, they habitually consider importance and worth, clarify values, and decide whether something is of significance and worth standing up for. ("This doesn't match our priorities so we should refuse that assignment.") They have a strong sense of what's important to them or the project. Sometimes they can be seen as "selfish."

In the INFJ pattern, the tertiary process is for introverted Thinking. Thus, they habitually analyze. They devote energy to deciding whether something fits a framework or model, and will often clarify definitions to get more precision. ("Let's define our terms before we get more deeply involved in this conversation.") They enjoy categorizing, and figuring out underlying principles. Sometimes they can be seen as "critical.""

Neither of these are more accurate than the other. A few aspects of each apply but overall I still am not sure.

"Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
    extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20.6)
    limited use
    introverted Sensing (Si) **************** (16.6)
    limited use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************** (30)
    average use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************************************** (47.2)
    excellent use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************** (34.8)
    good use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.1)
    good use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************************* (43)
    excellent use
    introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************** (18.5)
    limited use
    Summary Analysis of Profile
    By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFJ

Lead (Dominant) Process
    Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
    Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INFJ, or ENTJ"

Socionics
    ILI

@Hyoid, if you wouldn't mind, I'd wonder if you could select two choices from the two questions below, as part of a little typing method I have thought of, which is based off of the perspective of Beebe's archetypes of the anima/animus and the trickster (and their Socionics counterparts, the Suggestive function and Vulnerable function). If none of the following apply, let me know, as these are only 4 of the 8.

What are you most suggestible to? Which of these seem to influence you the most and even attract you?

Are you easily swayed by promises of power, immediate material gain and abundance of resources, or the determination/vindication of another person's argument or cause, as well as trust in straightforwardness and candidness?

Are you easily swayed by the emotional atmosphere put out by others, appeals to social ethics, or physical/vocalized expressions of emotions toward you?

Are you easily swayed by the logical purity of an argument, the mental frameworks and theoretical models presented to you (which are seen as mostly veritable) which have been built by others, or detailed analyses of topics provided by others?

Are you easily swayed by the presence of empirical evidence, knowledge indicative of society (common knowledge), the believed efficiency of systems, logical order and organization, or any argument/claim/evidence made/provided from any source (regardless of credibility, which isn't typically looked at)?

Which of these creates feelings of suspicion and often make you want to turn a blind eye towards?

Displays of power and vindication, promises of power and immediate rewards, straightforwardness or candidness of any kind. It just seems too straightforward and in your face to be taken at face value. (Nothing is as straightforward as it seems)

The perceivable emotional atmosphere, emotions that are being expressed towards you physically and openly(they might be a facade, for instance), any kind of argument derived from social constructs or the general ethics of society, others emotionally supporting (empathizing/sympathizing/relating) what you might value or what they think you value.

Theoretical systems and frameworks that do not possess an actual, realistic manifestation, a lack of trust in most theories as they are seen as too idealistic, models might be seen as over-complicated since they seem to be unable to be related to physical reality (think String Theory, all mathematics, virtually no empirical evidence), detailed analyses made by others.

Empirical evidence put in front of you, common knowledge indicative of society, evidence or arguments provided by sources ("Don't always trust what you read" adequately describes this) of any degree of credibility (be it farmer Joe or Dr. Joseph), the logical organization and management of resources.