• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Marginal or no preference? Wtf

Hyoid

Do you value those powerful individuals who are physically assertive, hands-on, and wield command over practical logic, or do you value those powerful individuals who are assertive with ideas, abstract reasoning, and are ludicrous in the pursuit of alternative possibilities?
I don't value pursuits of alternative possibilities if they are absurd or foolish, but ideas and abstract reasoning more so than practical logic.

Alea_iacta_est

I don't value pursuits of alternative possibilities if they are absurd or foolish, but ideas and abstract reasoning more so than practical logic.

For one final clarification, are you specifically attracted/drawn to people who open you up to a world of endless possibilities that can all be individually, logically tracked and analyzed for meaning and opportunity?

Hyoid

For one final clarification, are you specifically attracted/drawn to people who open you up to a world of endless possibilities that can all be individually, logically tracked and analyzed for meaning and opportunity?
Perhaps in the beginning of that relationship (any type), but eventually I will feel the need to make my own independent decisions and find new opportunities for myself. If I don't I feel controlled or even babied, and become extremely unhappy. Almost everything in my life I analyze for deeper meaning however. I could stare at a wall for an hour and have some revelation about life.

Alea_iacta_est

Perhaps in the beginning of that relationship (any type), but eventually I will feel the need to make my own independent decisions and find new opportunities for myself. If I don't I feel controlled or even babied, and become extremely unhappy. Almost everything in my life I analyze for deeper meaning however. I could stare at a wall for an hour and have some revelation about life.

Well, this avenue failed at reaching a conclusion. Let's try one that should get the job done.

Of these, which is a source of anxiety?

Negative Possibilities and Worries - What might be coming around the corner in the very near future produces worry and anxiety, as there are too many variables to be prepared for everything. Yearn for physical stability and static environments without much change, as change spawns worries. Represented scientifically by Equilibrium vs Entropy

Negative Realities and Immediate Happenings - What currently is and how to deal with that which lies in the exacting present. Fear of doing something wrong in the immediate environment and receiving negative consequence in the present and blindly stumbling into the near future. Unconfident in everyday situations and situations that require undivided attention.

Hyoid

Negative Possibilities and Worries - What might be coming around the corner in the very near future produces worry and anxiety, as there are too many variables to be prepared for everything. Yearn for physical stability and static environments without much change, as change spawns worries. Represented scientifically by Equilibrium vs Entropy
Yes. A few years ago I occasionally used to have small "attacks" lasting 10 minutes or so where I would have severe anxiety about absolutely nothing except the feeling that some awful, uncontrollable event was going to occur in the future. I also always feel in control and comfortable with present situations, so fortunately this answer is very black and white.

Alea_iacta_est

Yes. A few years ago I occasionally used to have small "attacks" lasting 10 minutes or so where I would have severe anxiety about absolutely nothing except the feeling that some awful, uncontrollable event was going to occur in the future. I also always feel in control and comfortable with present situations, so fortunately this answer is very black and white.

Well, in that case, I conclude that you are an ISFJ. (SEI in Socionics)

Hyoid

Well, in that case, I conclude that you are an ISFJ. (SEI in Socionics)
Interesting. What points towards S instead of N? Each test I have taken today has always always listed Ni as one of the core functions, and I don't fully understand the differences.

Alea_iacta_est

Interesting. What points towards S instead of N? Each test I have taken today has always always listed Ni as one of the core functions, and I don't fully understand the differences.

Well, the anxiety produced by negative possibilities in the near future is symptomatic of inferior Extroverted Intuition, an inferiority complex surrounded around all possibilities present in the environment. The Introverted Sensor seeks to maintain stability and "cling" to the dominant orientation of Si, to reduce the amount of possibilities and therefore negative possibilities in the environment. When the Ne inferior is being integrated and is developing correctly, the Introverted Sensor realizes that not all possibilities are negative, and that spontaneous change isn't necessarily a bad thing after all.

Introverted Sensation deals primarily with interpreting the present dynamics of the environment according to personal experience and knowledge. Therefore, the dynamics of the environment affect the ego (instead of the inverse with Pe users). An example of this would be, as I've mentioned prior, an Si-using ex-con hearing police sirens and immediately associating polices sirens with his personal experience in prison (perhaps he was arrested after a hot pursuit where sirens blared everywhere), possibly evoking emotions such as fear or anxiety even if the police are not actually after him. Usually, Si measures the dynamics of the environment according to how comfortable they are (or how stable they are, to counterbalance the unpredictability of underdeveloped Ne), and in this specific example, the police sirens make the ex-con nervous (environment affects ego).

Introverted Intuition on the other hand, deals with interpreting the hypothetical dynamics of the environment, or, in a more concise manner, why the environment is the way it is now, and where the environment is probably leading to in the future. Introverted Intuitives don't actively pay attention to the dynamics of the present environment then, and are wholly focused on the causation of the environment and the cause-effect relationships between objects in the environments. Usually, Ni analyzes components of the environment via their static, unchanging qualities (Se, static-dynamic is a dichotomy in another system) and attempts to provide a probable perspective of why an object or the environment has those static qualities. A huge dent on the right side of a car for instance, might tell an Introverted Intuitive that the car was involved in an accident where the driver of the car turned left into oncoming traffic (as all other possible scenarios are unlikely and wishful thinking). Introverted Intuitives have an inferiority complex, however, when it comes to affecting the environment in the immediate present (Se inf.).

Hyoid

Introverted Sensation deals primarily with interpreting the present dynamics of the environment according to personal experience and knowledge. Therefore, the dynamics of the environment affect the ego (instead of the inverse with Pe users). An example of this would be, as I've mentioned prior, an Si-using ex-con hearing police sirens and immediately associating polices sirens with his personal experience in prison (perhaps he was arrested after a hot pursuit where sirens blared everywhere), possibly evoking emotions such as fear or anxiety even if the police are not actually after him. Usually, Si measures the dynamics of the environment according to how comfortable they are (or how stable they are, to counterbalance the unpredictability of underdeveloped Ne), and in this specific example, the police sirens make the ex-con nervous (environment affects ego).

Introverted Intuition on the other hand, deals with interpreting the hypothetical dynamics of the environment, or, in a more concise manner, why the environment is the way it is now, and where the environment is probably leading to in the future. Introverted Intuitives don't actively pay attention to the dynamics of the present environment then, and are wholly focused on the causation of the environment and the cause-effect relationships between objects in the environments. Usually, Ni analyzes components of the environment via their static, unchanging qualities (Se, static-dynamic is a dichotomy in another system) and attempts to provide a probable perspective of why an object or the environment has those static qualities. A huge dent on the right side of a car for instance, might tell an Introverted Intuitive that the car was involved in an accident where the driver of the car turned left into oncoming traffic (as all other possible scenarios are unlikely and wishful thinking). Introverted Intuitives have an inferiority complex, however, when it comes to affecting the environment in the immediate present (Se inf.).

I apologize it has taken me awhile to respond to this, but I have spent the last few weeks in Figi and New Zealand without wifi or a cellphone data plan. From this description of Si vs Ni I don't agree with the ISFJ typing. I do not use Si. I often find myself "looking" at my surroundings but not truly looking at the details or specifics, and realizing that I have no idea what I actually just saw but instead "wholly focused on the causation of the environment and the cause-effect relationships between objects in the environments" as you stated. I often have to give myself a nudge to notice my physical surroundings and details, not just all the thoughts racing around in my head that what I see spawns much like the quote states. I don't seek to maintain stability. I just voluntarily uprooted my life to backpack throughout Figi and New Zealand with a group of Uni students I didn't know, but I have never felt uncomfortable with present situations either. I also do not reference past memories or experiences during my current situation or even think about them really.
I may be very off base but from the descriptions I very strongly feel that I use Ni instead of Si. I thought I mentioned in my reply as well that I was also diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder, which I took medication for for a number of years as well, but if I am off base that could very well have been caused by Si?

"Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20.6)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************** (16.6)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************** (30)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************************************** (47.2)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************** (34.8)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.1)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************************* (43)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************** (18.5)
limited use
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFJ

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.
This also supports my supposed use of N over S

yeghor

I apologize it has taken me awhile to respond to this, but I have spent the last few weeks in Figi and New Zealand without wifi or a cellphone data plan. From this description of Si vs Ni I don't agree with the ISFJ typing. I do not use Si. I often find myself "looking" at my surroundings but not truly looking at the details or specifics, and realizing that I have no idea what I actually just saw but instead "wholly focused on the causation of the environment and the cause-effect relationships between objects in the environments" as you stated. I often have to give myself a nudge to notice my physical surroundings and details, not just all the thoughts racing around in my head that what I see spawns much like the quote states. I don't seek to maintain stability. I just voluntarily uprooted my life to backpack throughout Figi and New Zealand with a group of Uni students I didn't know, but I have never felt uncomfortable with present situations either. I also do not reference past memories or experiences during my current situation or even think about them really.
I may be very off base but from the descriptions I very strongly feel that I use Ni instead of Si. I thought I mentioned in my reply as well that I was also diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder, which I took medication for for a number of years as well, but if I am off base that could very well have been caused by Si?

This also supports my supposed use of N over S

Could you do this test and paste the complete results please?

Free Enneagram Personality Test

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Could you do this test and paste the complete results please?

Free Enneagram Personality Test

Public Service Announcement: This is part of yehgor's "certain enneagram types only go with certain MBTI types, so I can use one to determine the other" approach. While correlations exist between MBTI types and enneagram types, most (including professional enneagram experts) believe that MBTI type and enneagram type are two different things, and therefore (both in theory and practice) multiple enneagram types may go with any given MBTI type.

EDIT: On a more on-topic note, if MBTI preferences are like Big Five preferences, then strength of preference may be distributed in a bell curve. Therefore, many folks might have one (or more) middling preferences. This would be different that the standard MBTI approach that states that preferences are dichotomous, but might be one reason why people have a hard time typing themselves.