• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

One more time...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sass, when you first came here, you were an ISTP, correct?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
People are usually the type they want to be. If you don't want to be ISTJ, you're probably not.

You really believe this? If I want to be a T, I'm a T? If I want to be intuitive, I am? There's some truth to this in the sense that your values are based on your strengths, and you'll continue to develop those qualities in yourself if you value them, but I don't really think you can make such a broad sweeping statement like the one you made. There are lots of people who want to be logical but aren't really familiar with how to do it. Same with sensing OR intuition. There are times I'd like to be way less into my head and more grounded and sensory, but it doesn't just magically appear.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, Jack Flak certainly has a point, especially considering that MBTI measures preference, not ability.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
You really believe this? If I want to be a T, I'm a T? If I want to be intuitive, I am? There's some truth to this in the sense that your values are based on your strengths, and you'll continue to develop those qualities in yourself if you value them, but I don't really think you can make such a broad sweeping statement like the one you made. There are lots of people who want to be logical but aren't really familiar with how to do it. Same with sensing OR intuition. There are times I'd like to be way less into my head and more grounded and sensory, but it doesn't just magically appear.
What's your type? What type do you wish you were?

I'm not talking about changing type--ever, let alone daily. You only get to be one type.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What's your type? What type do you wish you were?

I'm not talking about changing type--ever, let alone daily. You only get to be one type.

I'm untypeable because my preferences and needs change with whatever's going on in my life, and even in my day. Anger will bring out the INT in me. Silliness the ENTP. Calmness the INFP. Tasks will bring out the J in me, too. So I can't answer the first of your questions because I disagree with the statement you made.

As far as preferred type, I can't really say I have a strong preference, and even if I did, it would probably change with time and circumstance. My ideal self has qualities and attributes, but they're not related to any of the stuff MBTI deals with.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I second Edahn as ISTJ.

;)

sassafrassquatch

Sass, when you first came here, you were an ISTP, correct?

I have typed myself first as INTP then ISTP and currently ISTJ. I joined MBTIc right after I retyped as ISTP having spent some months on INTPc and seeing that I had nothing in common with actual INTPs. I went from ISTP to ISTJ once I understood that J meant a desire for closure and certainty rather than being a fastidious neat freak.

I initially thought I was INTP because I had read that geeks and nerds are mostly INTPs and INTJs and I'm a fairly geeky/nerdy guy. I can't do algebra or hack unix but it's close enough.

A Portrait of J. Random Hacker said:
In terms of Myers-Briggs and equivalent psychometric systems, hackerdom appears to concentrate the relatively rare INTJ and INTP types; that is, introverted, intuitive, and thinker types (as opposed to the extroverted-sensate personalities that predominate in the mainstream culture). ENT[JP] types are also concentrated among hackers but are in a minority.

Personality Characteristics

That is where I first heard about MBTI.

I don't suppose enneagram types would help at all? I've tested several times months apart as being equally 5 and 6 50/50 right down the middle.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have typed myself first as INTP then ISTP and currently ISTJ. I joined MBTIc right after I retyped as ISTP having spent some months on INTPc and seeing that I had nothing in common with actual INTPs.

Ah, there's your problem, LOL -- if you are an INTP, you probably just didn't fit into their stereotypical clique.

Did you take the online Keirsey Temperament Sorter? That's actually a good test unlike the Human Metrics test, which is where most people seem to "discover" their type.

You can get an account at Personality Zone and take the test from there. Your full four-letter results will then show up there in your account.

It is probably most pragmatic to take a test before learning about the types. When you do it the other way around, you just wind up falling into stereotypes. And to some extent, when reading the descriptions, I'll identify with all of the types on some level.

sassafrassquatch

Ah, there's your problem, LOL -- if you are an INTP, you probably just didn't fit into their stereotypical clique.

Did you take the online Keirsey Temperament Sorter?

If I recall correctly I read PUM II when I thought I was an INTP and had just joined INTPc. I think I did the sorter and got INTP, I also had my parents do it and they both got ISTJ.

Before I found the INTPc forum I had found and read the great big INTP description on the main INTP Central page and thought it was eerily accurate. Several "how the fuck do you know that?" moments. My initial, pure, virginal impression, having had no contact with or knowledge of MBTI or real INTPs was that I was an INTP.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I recall correctly I read PUM II when I thought I was an INTP and had just joined INTPc. I think I did the sorter and got INTP, I also had my parents do it and they both got ISTJ.

Before I found the INTPc forum I had found and read the great big INTP description on the main INTP Central page and thought it was eerily accurate. Several "how the fuck do you know that?" moments. My initial, pure, virginal impression, having had no contact with or knowledge of MBTI or real INTPs was that I was an INTP.

Based on this data, I'd say you're an INTP, just not an INTPc INTP.

In my experience over there, they seem to doubt anyone's INTP type if they do not adhere to their personal idea of what an INTP should be (it's pretty much the same deal at any type-specific forum). If you look at the Keirsey descriptions of any of the Rational types or even Please Understand Me II, nowhere does it say that they are philosophers, mathematicians, or scientists, per say -- those are merely generalities that a number of people seem to take literally.

It's true that when N and T combine, it results in a strategic intellect. The Rational type is never directly described in terms of being scientific, rather their approach to life is strategic and concerned with efficiency above all else. Hence, they are pragmatic. This same sort of strategic intellect is applied not just to the sciences, but to any profession the NT's mind is set on. Same with any other temperament.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well that's interesting. The sorter on Personality Zone says I'm INTP.

Round and round we go...

Like I said...

I don't think you should dismiss what that sorter says. And apparently, the KTS and MBTI are correlated. They ask the same kinds of questions. I think the real reason MBTI practitioners are critical of the KTS because the KTS is free and draws MBTI customers away.

sassafrassquatch

4 U! :cheers:

cookie.jpg

I guess I'll relabel myself INTP then. Only reason started doubting it in the first place was because of the wankers on INTPc. :wacko:

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I think INTP is the closest you get to a type based on what I've read both here and over at intpc, sass. You have INTJ tendencies and ISTx on occasion, but you still seem closer to INTP. The other tendencies just mean you're more balanced.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
And yes you can type people by behavioral analysis and comparison.
I agree with this.

Behavioral analysis is the surest method -- everything else is the comparison of theoretical values, many of them set in symmetry that could very well be arbitrary.

Strip away the "intuitive sensing thinking judger" or function orders, and one may have a temperament that has been evident in several people known over the years. It's one reason why I tend to use the Enneagram as a final determinant of the general personality, or to distinguish between subtypes that are apparent with some MBTI types.

ISTPs, for example, are people that I've known all my life and, intelligent or average, every single one has behaved, had talents and held values that were remarkably similar. Very few of them could be considered disorganized, each was extraordinarily particular and most of them had adjusted to a level of punctuality required in the working world; their nature of perceiving isn't effectively gauged by most tests.

Behaviorally, expressively, even visually, Sass, you look ISTP.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*facepalm*

I truthfully don't think anyone here is mistyped, especially considering that the type owner is more aware of his cognitive functioning than anyone else. What amounts afterward is what stereotype people put themselves into.

It's just a four-letter code that is supposed to be formed out of a test, not the often inaccurate description that follows.

I think people place too much emphasis on the behavior aspects and not enough on the person's own method of thought processing, which are not necessarily alike.