• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an INTP or INFP?

intpinfp

Hi. So.. I'm wondering if I'm an INTP or an INFP.Or maybe something completely different.

I always test as an INTP but I have doubts about that because I'm very aware of my feelings. I feel deeply but I can logically "dissect" those feelings.For example I've been depressed for a very long time but my sadness is not irrational,I know what makes me feel this way and I know what would stop it.Knowing how to properly behave in a relationship did not come naturally to me.I don't like to gossip or small talk or talk about trivial things unless it can give me some vital information that I need.Even though I may care a lot about people I have a very hard time showing it.I despise the read-memorize-retell sort of education that is promoted in most educational systems.I strongly believe that education should have an individualistic approach and not resemble a factory line.I understand motives beyond most actions(or situations) but I don't understand people enough.I get bored very easily especially in social situations if the conversation is not stimulating enough.I simply cannot study something if it doesn't interest me,I can read for hours and all the information will go right past me but I can spend a lot of time without breaking my concentration if the subject is very interesting to me - no matter how hard the subject is.I get hurt easily but I just as easily brush it off because I don't care enough about what people say.People think I'm weird.I seem cold and aloof and often forget to smile even if I'm happy and I don't get that excited about stuff but through observing how society works I've decided to pretend to be someone a little bit different in social situations to appear more warm and caring.It works alright.I was a very imaginative child but I also loved to take apart radios and clocks to try and figure out how they work.My parents punished me for that so I didn't really pursue my passion for breaking stuff any further and instead turned to arts.I love to write and often create short movies in my head (I'm weird) but I'd be just as interested in searching for a cancer cure if anybody would lend me their high tech lab.
But they don't.

I suck at describing myself so if you need any other information to determine my type I'd gladly answer any questions.Please help me find my type.It's for a moronic but mildly entertaining university assignment that is due next week and I'm completely fucked because I have an obsession with being accurate and I just won't turn my paper in unless I find my as-close-to-reality-as-it-can-get type.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you say you don't understand people enough, you're probably INTP. All the INFP'S I know understand people rather too well. Emotional depth has very little to do with type. You can love deeply and can still be a "T" type. I think it's one of those stereotypes that is most commonly misconstrued in MBTI.

yeghor

Hi. So.. I'm wondering if I'm an INTP or an INFP.Or maybe something completely different.

I always test as an INTP but I have doubts about that because I'm very aware of my feelings. I feel deeply but I can logically "dissect" those feelings.For example I've been depressed for a very long time but my sadness is not irrational,I know what makes me feel this way and I know what would stop it.Knowing how to properly behave in a relationship did not come naturally to me.I don't like to gossip or small talk or talk about trivial things unless it can give me some vital information that I need.Even though I may care a lot about people I have a very hard time showing it.I despise the read-memorize-retell sort of education that is promoted in most educational systems.I strongly believe that education should have an individualistic approach and not resemble a factory line.I understand motives beyond most actions(or situations) but I don't understand people enough.I get bored very easily especially in social situations if the conversation is not stimulating enough.I simply cannot study something if it doesn't interest me,I can read for hours and all the information will go right past me but I can spend a lot of time without breaking my concentration if the subject is very interesting to me - no matter how hard the subject is.I get hurt easily but I just as easily brush it off because I don't care enough about what people say.People think I'm weird.I seem cold and aloof and often forget to smile even if I'm happy and I don't get that excited about stuff but through observing how society works I've decided to pretend to be someone a little bit different in social situations to appear more warm and caring.It works alright.I was a very imaginative child but I also loved to take apart radios and clocks to try and figure out how they work.My parents punished me for that so I didn't really pursue my passion for breaking stuff any further and instead turned to arts.I love to write and often create short movies in my head (I'm weird) but I'd be just as interested in searching for a cancer cure if anybody would lend me their high tech lab.
But they don't.

I suck at describing myself so if you need any other information to determine my type I'd gladly answer any questions.Please help me find my type.It's for a moronic but mildly entertaining university assignment that is due next week and I'm completely fucked because I have an obsession with being accurate and I just won't turn my paper in unless I find my as-close-to-reality-as-it-can-get type.

Can I interest you in this test?

http://similarminds.com/test.html

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Looks INFP to me. I can relate to a lot of that list. Or could, when I was younger.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a type 5 mainly (74%) then a type 4 (64%) and a type 7( 40-something%)

I'm 100% sure this points to INTP. 5=Ti 7=Ne :D

I had to get to this before Yeghor gets to it. I wanna be like him when I grow up!

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel deeply but I can logically "dissect" those feelings. For example I've been depressed for a very long time but my sadness is not irrational, I know what makes me feel this way and I know what would stop it.

INFPs would feel deeply, can even logically dissect their feelings a lot of times too, we know what makes us feel the way we do, and we know what would stop it. BUTTTT we don't lol. Different from INTP, INFP feel and understand everything inside of them, just so that they would doubt everything all over again. Pinpointing why, what, when, where, who and how with us is impossible. Yup, our agony.

I don't like to gossip or small talk or talk about trivial things unless it can give me some vital information that I need.
This simply confirms that you are a positive Introvert.

Even though I may care a lot about people I have a very hard time showing it.
Tell us INFPs about it!

I despise the read-memorize-retell sort of education that is promoted in most educational systems. I strongly believe that education should have an individualistic approach and not resemble a factory line.
The lack of personal interpretation, imagination, creativeness and freedom in knowledge is what most xNxP absolutely despise.

I understand motives beyond most actions (or situations) but I don't understand people enough.
If you have trouble pinpointing your own identity, your needs, wants, your next action, decisions, your worth, values, etc. but can see people through like X-ray scanning, you're an INFP. If it's the other way around, where you can pretty much map yourself out and know where you stand, but have issue gathering and processing data of others, you're pretty much skewing towards INTP.

Being a T does not mean you are incapable of strong feelings and sadness. Being a F does not guarantee the person is "deep" or empathetic.
If you find yourself often act upon impulse, feel so overwhelmed by sadness that it's hard to live/move on over things/people, ignore "what's rational" when it comes to getting an immediate vice, then you could very much be an INFP. However, from what you wrote, you seem like an INTP with borderline T-F to me.

If you say you don't understand people enough, you're probably INTP. All the INFP'S I know understand people rather too well. Emotional depth has very little to do with type. You can love deeply and can still be a "T" type. I think it's one of those stereotypes that is most commonly misconstrued in MBTI.
Can't agree more!

Let's take into account that lots of INFP can appear as Thinkers to people they're not close to.

Last edited: