• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or INFP type

Archaeologist

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hello everyone, I am new to these forums but I am eager to find out whether or not I am actually an INFP or an INFJ. I have taken a lot of MBTI tests that confirm that I am an INFJ but now im getting tests that say I am an INFP. I also tried taking the enneagram tests which consistently tell me I am a 9w1, 5w4, 2w3 although the exact order varies occasionally based on these tests.

I am a young man that has an interest in geography and international relations and I did the temperaments test and am considered a phlegmatic-melancholic.

Ironically thanks to my love of playing strategy games and studying and practicing diplomacy I have been considered an INTJ, and an ISFJ before which I thought was a little interesting.

I excelled in the humanities and social sciences as well as biology and geology as far as class subjects go, I am about to graduate high school soon but I am told that I give off a very pleasant and respectful vibe as well. I personally think I might be an INFP with well developed Ne and Te as well as very solid Fi, but I am not sure, I could also be an Ni-Fe-Ti user as well. Exploring is something that can be quite fascinating to me and I love to swim and hike as well if that makes any difference, though I believe my Se could be a bit weak at least according to cognitive tests.

So I am curious if anyone can perhaps give greater insight and help me determine what my type actually is...

Thank you very much.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You didn't provide any type related info... try harder my fella...do the questionnaire, or describe us your learning/thinking/feeling process

Archaeologist

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Unless your referring to that INFP or INFJ site, in which case I got 50/50 on it so im apparently a blend of the P and J types...

Archaeologist

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Wait, I found a questionnaire I can use to give some more info about myself so here goes.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
infj, infp dont ask things they create drama

Archaeologist

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
I do not have any medications or illness that I believe, I am an 18 year old male that is trying to determine what career that I want to follow after being introspective for the last 2 years. I very much dislike the conflict I had a year ago with my parents, but I have resolved that conflict and I feel quite content and at peace again but I have a desire to explore and learn about the world and about other nations and cultures that I have yet to meet.
1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
photos/hardpan/14006874907/in/explore-2014-05-15

I really admire the scenery there...

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
I would try and assess where I was geographically and then I would try and ask directions from another car coming on the highway about where the nearest repairman was or at least the nearest gas station so we could get something to eat and assess the situation. Perhaps figure out where a tow truck would be if we couldn't quickly fix the car or if it had gas but some internal issue.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do? I would encourage them to go on ahead to the party, and I would try to socialize with the people that arrived at the concert.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
I would listen to their claim and express calmness but internally I would be seeking to challenge them and make a counter claim or mount a defense with passion. I would try to cool this internal anger though and simply nod in agreement politely.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
I would likely question myself as to why I feel so intensely frusturated about the clash to my beliefs but I would express calmness and try to be as agreeable as possible and not make too much of a fuss.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
My most important values are obedience, polite courtesy, intellectualism, honesty, and helpfulness. I determined these values since I have been told I express these values a great deal and I believe that I work to develop these values within myself. I believe perhaps these values could change perhaps if I grew older and left home perhaps I might tend to value independence, ambition, capability, and perhaps a bit of economic restraint as I worked and lived on my own away from my family.
I spend a great deal of time reflecting and being introspective about the morality of my actions and thoughts as well. I once even considered becoming a stoic...

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
I am very respectful and obedient and yet also intellectualist. I wish I could be more assertive and ambitious in pursuing my goals and attaining them and act more aggressive and competitive in order to advance further and grow and become independent of my family. I also wish I was more aware of my external world and didn't make so many clumsy mistakes from not paying attention to the outside world.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I often times listen to my gut feelings and they seem to be triggered in situations where I see people manipulating another person. I also sometimes get quite angry on the inside when I see others treat each other disrespectfully and trick them. I despise dishonesty and manipulation to achieve selfish goals that do not help others.
9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
Activities that energize me include: I really love to counsel and help other people both in 1 to 1 situations as well as in writing. I love to roleplay and write characters and stories online. I love to learn about the world around me and to learn about the different nations and cultures throughout the world.

Activities that drain me: I dislike running too much since I hate the sweat and exhaustion and yet I love swimming since I do not feel the sweat when I am in the water. I also am drained when I have to work with complex mathematical concepts that deal with ways to solve problems quickly. I really dislike doing activities such as driving or cooking since I struggle with hand eye coordination and make mistakes fairly often

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I repress my rather active imagination sometimes when I am around others and I try to act more serious and focused in the present and I try to maintain a calm and peaceful yet charming appearance towards others. I try to repress ideas that are threathening or challenging to the group I am socializing with and I privately explore those ideas on my own time and develop my conclusions quietly and privately and only express them to my closest friends since I trust them to give me solid advice and that they will actually listen to what I have to say, or be polite in correcting me if my ideas are quite incorrect.

I thank you, which type do you think I am? I did the enneagram test and identified as a 9w1, 5w4, 2w3 tritype and my temperament is that of a phlegmatic-melancholic.
Again the tests seem to indicate that I am either an INFJ or an INFP, but I was once mistaken for an INTJ.

Archaeologist

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Interesting, perhaps I am an INFJ (that is what most of the tests say I am and until recently I was considered that type). I was just curious because I tend to be polite and discreet about my questioning. I was raised by a rather conservative ESFJ father and a conservative INFP mother and sheltered somewhat till I was 12 so perhaps that is influencing me.

yeghor

a 9w1, 5w4, 2w3 tritype and my temperament is that of a phlegmatic-melancholic.
Again the tests seem to indicate that I am either an INFJ or an INFP, but I was once mistaken for an INTJ.

9w1 = Si 5w4 = Ti 2w3 = Fe -> This might be Si-Fe-Ti = ISFJ

My most important values are obedience, polite courtesy, intellectualism, honesty, and helpfulness

This can either be Ni-Fe or Si-Fe.

I repress my rather active imagination sometimes when I am around others and I try to act more serious and focused in the present and I try to maintain a calm and peaceful yet charming appearance towards others. I try to repress ideas that are threathening or challenging to the group I am socializing with and I privately explore those ideas on my own time and develop my conclusions quietly and privately and only express them to my closest friends since I trust them to give me solid advice and that they will actually listen to what I have to say, or be polite in correcting me if my ideas are quite incorrect.

This is Ni-Fe or Si-Fe.

What irritates or causes you personal distress or anxiety IRL? What can't you seem to deal with and have trouble most?

Name one or two book, movie character or real person that you identify with or aspire to?

Could you post this test's results?

http://similarminds.com/test.html

Archaeologist

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Here is the enneagram results of the test, I noticed that I scored high in type 9 and then high in type 2 and then it was a general mix beyond that

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||| 42%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||| 42%
Type 4 Individualism |||||||||||| 50%
Type 5 Intellectualism |||||||||||| 50%
Type 6 Security Focus |||||||||||| 46%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||| 30%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||| 34%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||||| 74%

type score type behavior motivation
9 18 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
2 17 I must be helpful and caring to survive.
4 12 I must be unique/different to survive.
5 12 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
6 11 I must be secure and safe to survive.
1 10 I must be perfect and good to survive.
3 10 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
8 8 I must be strong and in control to survive.
7 7 I must be fun and entertained to survive.

Your main type is Type 9
Your variant stacking is so/sp/sx
Your level of health is average

Your main type is which ever behavior you utilize most and/or prefer. Your variant reflects your scoring profile on all nine types: so = social variant (compliant, friendly), sx = sexual variant (assertive, intense), sp = self preservation variant (withdrawn, security seeking). For info on the flaws of the Enneagram system click here.

I agree with the results that are described here.

Now I tend to identify with very peaceful and yet deep feeling types of people, like Belldandy of Ah my goddess, or perhaps of Miyuki off of Lucky Star, I suppose. I cannot think of that many male characters right off the top of my head that I really identify with.

I get a great deal of distress from conflict between people that I really care about or when I see those that I care about becoming quite down on themselves (it brings out the Fe, I guess and I just feel that I must cheer them up and help them in their issue they are dealing with no matter how long it takes. I also get a great deal of stress from dealing with problems requiring quick hand eye coordination and fast reflexes and responses, so I struggle to deal with being clumsy and slow in situations such as biking or driving or fighting or cooking in a fast food setting.

yeghor

Here is the enneagram results of the test, I noticed that I scored high in type 9 and then high in type 2 and then it was a general mix beyond that

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||| 42%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||| 42%
Type 4 Individualism |||||||||||| 50%
Type 5 Intellectualism |||||||||||| 50%
Type 6 Security Focus |||||||||||| 46%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||| 30%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||| 34%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||||| 74%

type score type behavior motivation
9 18 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
2 17 I must be helpful and caring to survive.
4 12 I must be unique/different to survive.
5 12 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
6 11 I must be secure and safe to survive.
1 10 I must be perfect and good to survive.
3 10 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
8 8 I must be strong and in control to survive.
7 7 I must be fun and entertained to survive.

I agree with the results that are described here.

Now I tend to identify with very peaceful and yet deep feeling types of people, like Belldandy of Ah my goddess, or perhaps of Miyuki off of Lucky Star, I suppose. I cannot think of that many male characters right off the top of my head that I really identify with.

I get a great deal of distress from conflict between people that I really care about or when I see those that I care about becoming quite down on themselves (it brings out the Fe, I guess and I just feel that I must cheer them up and help them in their issue they are dealing with no matter how long it takes. I also get a great deal of stress from dealing with problems requiring quick hand eye coordination and fast reflexes and responses, so I struggle to deal with being clumsy and slow in situations such as biking or driving or fighting or cooking in a fast food setting.

9w1 score = 28 2w1 score = 27 5w4 score = 24 which means according to my own theory Si - Fe - Ti = ISFJ

Also your lowest score seems to be 7 which I equate with Ne, which means you are an Ne-inferior (i.e. your 4th function is Ne), which seems to fit with ISxJ.

Your enenagram 1 score is low too, which I relate to Ni, so it also fits with your type being an ISxJ.

Check this ISFJ description (and the strength weakness link there) http://www.16personalities.com/isfj-personality

One difference between INFJ and ISFJ would be that ISFJs' S function is higher in the stack than INFJs'. So INFJ would have relatively less aptitude in S type activities. ISFJ would still be able to use dominant Se function (i.e. inverse of his\her dominant Si) when need be.

Se is about impulsivity, rage, ability to deal with high sensory data, robustness of body, good use of body language etc.

á´…eparted

passages
So Hard, what do you think I am then? Rather than challenging yeghor's ideas, do you have an opinion as to who I am type wise? I gave a lot of info out...

That's kind of the problem. Telling Yeghor to take his "theories" elsewhere sort of lends to one assuming I'll type someone. I know the theory, and I know when someone is blatently applying it wrong (as he is), but usually I want to stop there. To be pefectly honest though, I find it to be quite tiresome and I don't enjoy doing it. That said, I see the Fe/Ti axis fairly readily, and I do not see either as the lead. Further, I don't really see much evidence either way for Ni/Se, or Si/Ne. I see a slightly preference for the former, but not by all that much. I'm confidant in saying IxFJ, with INFJ being more likely of two of them.

I do not see Fi as a lead being possible, nor do I see any sign of Te being inferior.

Archaeologist

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
That seems reasonable, and I don't think im too much a sensor on any test I have ever really taken so I think I am an INFJ most likely of all of the types. Thank you Hard for helping me

á´…eparted

passages
That seems reasonable, and I don't think im too much a sensor on any test I have ever really taken so I think I am an INFJ most likely of all of the types. Thank you Hard for helping me

Yeah sorting out the S/N axis is always a little challenging in practice in my opinion. How one absorbs information (which is what N/S does) generally doesn't show up on paper clearly for everyone. I mean, sometimes it does, but other times it does not. Much more so if it's introverted in orientation. It appears over long periods of time in the overall "quality" of the person. FWIW though, a test result can on occasion be misleading. I will test as ESTJ on MBTI tests (close on both the S/N and F/T axis) more often than not, and there are some sensor types here that will test as intuitive. It's a good starting point, but not the end all be all answer.

Archaeologist

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I see, that could explain why it is hard to tell whether or not I use Ni dominantly since it is hard to tell whether one uses sensing or intuition, and doubly so if you are trying to identify introverted intuition.

Alea_iacta_est

Do you see what is hypothetically plausible in the environment under ideal circumstances and with ideal resources? Or do you see what is realistically feasible in the environment under its current conditions and the resources that are currently available in the present?

Do you see the dynamic circumstances that cause the current conditions in the environment, the course the environment is on, and how the environment affects your ideas/insights? Or do you see the dynamic features of the environment in the present moment and its physical impact on your own well-being (physical and mental state)?

Examples:

Do you notice details and surroundings based on how they affect you or how you can affect them, i.e. "I remember that if I aim the ball just right, I can score a strike, due to the fact that I've done it before in that manner and have gotten strikes" (environment affects you) or "With this bowling ball and those pins, I can score a strike if I aim the ball just right" (you affect environment)

Do you hypothesize about what you could be doing hypothetically with ideal surroundings and resources or how the hypothetical dynamic circumstances in the environment affect you, i.e. "If I were to have a bowling ball and some pins (and probably a Bowling Alley), I bet I could score a strike if I were to aim the ball just right" (you affect environment) or "Due to the fact that scoring a strike is possible, there must be a particular angle to aim the ball that would yield a strike once the ball is cast at that angle." (environment affects you)

Of course, the bowling ball example is usually flawed due to the fact that people don't usually think this hard about a simple physical process like Bowling, but accurately explains the thought process. These are just for the perception functions for now.

Also, [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]'s criticism is right, probably because [MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION] is relatively delusional.

S

Society

I see, that could explain why it is hard to tell whether or not I use Ni dominantly since it is hard to tell whether one uses sensing or intuition, and doubly so if you are trying to identify introverted intuition.

you should probably be made aware though, that there are numerious competing sub-theories and definitions.

for many (let's call that MBTI - myber brigs type indicator), Ni is the Si for the intellectual - the abstract thinker showing competence at pattern recognition.
for others (lets call that JCF - jung cognitive functions), Ni and Si do not play in the same realm. everyone can see patterns, infact jungian Si is even described as particularly good at extrapolating repetition on-wards. likewise, any type can be an intellectual, and jugian Si - being the chief function of folklore - can delve in the richness of academia, literature and poetry better then any other function. but the mind of an Ni dom doesn't see patterns in the details it experiences, it is possessed by the metaphors and meanings themselves as the basic of the experience - a condensed source of undifferentiated information slowly unraveling & creating a world view anew with each turn - facts and details aren't the source of the thoughts but rather loosely based footholds for them to sit on.

read this:

would you be able to identify with that woman? is your base experience composed of unraveling intangibles dominating your psyche?

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Off topic bickering removed

Hey, guys,

I've moved the bickering about typological theories to Off-Topic posts. I know it's fun to debate this stuff, but let's do it outside of someone's "type-me" thread. Feel free to say you disagree with another's interpretations - that's entirely normal. It just shouldn't turn into a debate about why theory X is right or wrong.

Thanks,

uumlau

Archaeologist

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I do not identify with the woman that you described, I do not have my base experience as being composed of unraveling intagible thoughts and ideas. I think i am actually an ISFJ, since i am a fairly past oriented and traditional person. I love to reflect a lot and use my past experiences to guide my actions and then I seek to merge witha group. The reason i didn't identify with the ISFJ description is because i am not really a home maker type of person per se, but I love to study the past and see how it affects the present and I like to learn and gather knowledge as well. I do not have a grand vision of how things should be ideally though and I plan and use my current resources to achieve goals that are realistically feasible, I thought I used intution but actually, it was deep reflection of the past that I used in order to make plans for the future. I identify with the caring aspect of INFJ's and I identify with the knowledge seeking aspect, but I tend to seek knowledge to deposit and store it for use in future situations and for amusement and to help others. One of my life goals is to learn and gather knowledge and then use thatknowledge to help others that i care for. I practiced being a counselor as a summer job and I enjoyed that job a great deal since I was able to help other people. I am volunteering as a docent at a nearby historical site and giving tours of the site to locals and telling them about facts and details of the site. One of my dream jobs, before I decided to change based on resource issues was to become an archaeiologist and travel to other countries and examine those sites. I read and did research on the career of an archaeologist and I decided that i want to postpone that goal since they tend to make very little money and live in conditions that I am unsure I want to spend a lot of time in. I am considering instead studying international studies or geography and learning practical information about how to interact in other cultures and how to relate to them and understand them and perhaps get a job working in an international organization where I can do something practical to help other nations and my own understand each other better. I also enjoy studying about economics and enjoy playing strategy games and city builder games where i take the resources that I have and use those to develop my city and make it prosper and trade successfully and I find those as entertaining simulations of the kind of work I could actually see myself doing in 10-15 years possibly. Although I also am interested in being a missionary and providing practical care to others abroad, but I want to go on a trip abroad to a mission field before I confirm my decision (gather some form of experience to refer to in order to come to an effective and conclusive decision).

I guess after some deep reflection and thought from the questions I have been asked, I can be confident in saying that I am an ISFJ, an imaginative ISFJ and a rather intellectual ISFJ, but still an ISFJ all the same. I think that is reasonable, so I am a type 9w1 5w4 2w3 ISFJ, I think that is a very reasonable and well supported conclusion based on reflection and taking into consideration the interests and facts that I know about myself.

Thank you all for helping me officially come to this conclusion..