• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I ISTP or ISFP? Help please :x

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've taken the tests multiple times, and I usually get ISFP or ISTP.. when I take tests that measure the preference over it, it's usually like 1-2% and I relate a lot to both of the descriptions.. judging by this questionnaire which do you think I am, or do you think I could be something else?

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
I'm 17, female, content and I am on prozac for anxiety.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
photos/hardpan/14006874907/in/explore-2014-05-15

My impression of this photo is that it's summer or spring because there's lightning in the sky which indicates a thunder storm.. and they usually only occurs in spring or summer. It also looked like in rained not too long ago because you can see the ground is wet. It also looks like a serene and peaceful place to live because there aren't any other houses in the area that you can see (if you look closely, you can see a small house in the distance)

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
My initial thoughts would be things like "Why did the car break down?" "Will we still make it to the concert in time?"
My outward reactions would be to check the gas meter, and look to see if the check engine light is on to get a clue as to why it broke down. If anyone in the car was good with cars, I'd rely on them to check the engine and see what's wrong, but if nobody in the car was good with cars, I'd probably be really flustered and panic seeing as we'd be in the middle of nowhere.. but I'd try to call the police or the operator for the nearest mechanic or tow truck and if either of those failed or there wasn't an obvious way to actually get to the concert, I'd be really upset and crestfallen..

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I wouldn't want to go, because no doubt after the concert I'd be really drained, but if everyone else wanted to go, I would too to not cause any conflict. I'd probably just stay with my friends (or a friend) at the party

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
My inward reaction would be indifference, I'm very open-minded and fully aware that other people are going to have different opinions. I wouldn't try to argue with them or try to change their opinion.. I probably wouldn't say anything tbh.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
I'd just do anything to avoid seeing or experiencing whatever I saw again.. as long as it wasn't someone being wrongfully executed or something horrible of the sort, I wouldn't care much.
6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Some of my most important values are fairness (because it bothers me when people feel they are entitled to things other people don't have, and I try to make everything fair), optimism (I hate seeing people who constantly dwell on the negative side of things.. when there is usually quite a lot to be happy about), and individuality (I love seeing people be themselves and not try to conform to society's standards)

I really don't know what came about determining them it's just the way I am I guess.. I don't really think my values can be changed.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
I'm really shy and I barely speak to people.. and everyone describes me as being "quiet." Even when I do speak, people ask me to repeat myself 10 times because they say my voice is too soft.

I'd change the fact I was shy, I really hate it.. it's embarrassing being almost 18 and barely being able to talk to anyone.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I usually follow my hunches or gut feelings, because of the time they are right.. they are triggered when I'm playing trivia games on the Internet and I just have a feeling what the answer is.. and most of the time I'm right, or when I get lost outside taking the buses because I took the wrong bus, my gut feelings on which way to go are triggered a lot.. and sometimes I just get a feeling someone is lying to me about something. (I'm actually usually wrong when I think someone is lying)

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
Activities that energize me include: Using the computer, listening to my favorite artists, watching movies I like, being with my cats, and little kids, doing work I actually understand at school especially in math class (some units I like and that energize me are the finance unit and the exponent unit).

Using the computer energizes me because I feel a lot less alone when I use it, I don't have any friends in real life and I actually have a fair amount on the Internet, I just really love music, I find watching movies I love a great stress reliever, being with animals/little kids energizes me because I've always loved being around them, little kids usually just emit an aura of happiness and joy that can't be emitted by anyone my age or older, and I just love animals. Understanding my school work makes me feel energized because it makes me feel smarter when I actually understand what's going on especially if it's in chemistry or math.

Activities that drain me: Having to wake up early to go to school (I really like to stay up late), doing work I can't understand (thinking too hard drains me really quickly), being around people for too long especially if they are loud.. (I love the quiet).. and yeah not a lot of activities really drain me.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I repress almost everything.. I've been told by multiple people that I'm very difficult to read and understand. I suppose I repress so much because I'm afraid to open up to people because I'm really nervous and awkward around. people in general. I'm not really one to express or tell anyone about my thoughts and instead just talk about other things as a distraction from my thoughts because a lot of my thoughts are unpleasant and I'd rather not share them.

Thanks :3 What type do you think I could possibly be? ISFP, ISTP or something else? I score ISTP and ISFP on tests probably about an equal number of times.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
being with animals/little kids energizes me because I've always loved being around them, little kids usually just emit an aura of happiness and joy that can't be emitted by anyone my age or older, and I just love animals.

Such F. :wink:

Understanding my school work makes me feel energized because it makes me feel smarter when I actually understand what's going on especially if it's in chemistry or math.

I can see why you score T too. Outside school work, how often are you inclined to analyse stuff? Or do you go by feelings more often?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You describe yourself with more ISFP than ISTP traits.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And you seem more 9 than 7.

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And you seem more 9 than 7.

Yeah I just realized that I'm a 973 as opposed to a 794 yesterday after really thinking about it and reading the descriptions over again

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Such F. :wink:

I can see why you score T too. Outside school work, how often are you inclined to analyse stuff? Or do you go by feelings more often?

I always wonder how/why certain things happen and when I watch movies/t.v. shows I point out things in my mind that couldn't be possible in real life (especially in cartoons that are made to be more realistic and such), but I don't think that's really "analyzing."

I think for the most part, I go by feelings, another reason I score T sometimes is when I answer questions like "Do you easily share and talk aloud about your feelings?" etc.. I always answer no, because I find it very painstaking talking about my feelings with other people out loud.. but that could be indicative of Fi over Fe

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always wonder how/why certain things happen

What kind of things?

when I watch movies/t.v. shows I point out things in my mind that couldn't be possible in real life (especially in cartoons that are made to be more realistic and such), but I don't think that's really "analyzing."

That's not analyzing, that sounds like S :p

I think for the most part, I go by feelings, another reason I score T sometimes is when I answer questions like "Do you easily share and talk aloud about your feelings?" etc.. I always answer no, because I find it very painstaking talking about my feelings with other people out loud.. but that could be indicative of Fi over Fe

Silly tests. :p

L

LadyLazarus

I test ISTP too(almost as frequently as I test INFP actually), however it's really apparent I don't use Ti at all. :laugh: So, I'd advise you not to go off the tests as they aren't exactly what I'd call "accurate". Reading about the functions of the types which you are considering would be a better route.

I really related to what you wrote about hunches, it sounded very Fi-Ni to me, not very Ti-Ni at all , especially so when you talked about getting the feeling someone is lying to you.

So, ISFP is my personal verdict.

In regards to your enneagram type, I would say 9 as you mentioned repressing many things.

Anyway, I'm by no means an expert, those are just my two cents, good luck finding your type.

Last edited:

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What kind of things?
Things like the weather, our existence here on planet Earth (I just find it amazing how if the composition of gases in our atmosphere were even slightly different, we probably wouldn't even have ever existed), how and why diseases and syndromes happen, etc.. that kind of thing

Silly tests. :p
Indeed

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I test ISTP too(almost as frequently as I test INFP actually), however it's really apparent I don't use Ti at all. :laugh: So, I'd advise you not to go off the tests as they aren't exactly what I'd call "accurate". Reading about the functions of the types which you are considering would be a better route.

I really related to what you wrote about hunches, it sounded very Fi-Ni to me, not very Ti-Ni at all , especially so when you talked about getting the feeling someone is lying to you.

So, ISFP is my personal verdict.

In regards to your enneagram type, I would say 9 as you mentioned repressing many things.

Anyway, I'm by no means an expert, those are just my two cents, good luck finding your type!

Yeah I'm confused about my enneagram type because a lot of people say that it's all about key motivations and fears, etc.. and less about your personality. I relate a lot more to the personality of a type 9, but more to the motivations and key fears and desires of a type 7.

Thanks for the advice and input :) I'll read more into the functions and see if I can get a better idea of what my type is. People have typed me as an INFP, ISFP, ISFJ and INTP

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Things like the weather, our existence here on planet Earth (I just find it amazing how if the composition of gases in our atmosphere were even slightly different, we probably wouldn't even have ever existed), how and why diseases and syndromes happen, etc.. that kind of thing

Hmm okay. How substantial is this "hobby" for you?

Yeah I'm confused about my enneagram type because a lot of people say that it's all about key motivations and fears, etc.. and less about your personality. I relate a lot more to the personality of a type 9, but more to the motivations and key fears and desires of a type 7.

Tangible personality traits != motivations and key fears and desires. So this is alright IMO. In this case you'd be a core 7. Maybe with a 9 fix or just an introverted MBTI type resembling 9.

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm okay. How substantial is this "hobby" for you?
I spend some time online looking up the climates of different places and things like the hottest/coldest place on Earth and Googling names of diseases on symptom checker, etc.. it's not really a hobby. It's just the kind of stuff I'm interested in learning about (that kind of stuff and psychology).

Tangible personality traits != motivations and key fears and desires. So this is alright IMO. In this case you'd be a core 7. Maybe with a 9 fix or just an introverted MBTI type resembling 9.

I've heard that before too, I for sure have my body type as type 9, because it's the only one I relate to at all... Eight and one don't suit me one bit. I relate to 7, 9, 4 and 3.