User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Typing yourself before learning about type.

A mistake?

When I first heard about type, before wishing to learn its intricacies, my ego screamed out to know where it fits first of all. I quickly saw similarity with myself and INTPs and then started learning about the functions.

But it continually occurs to me that if I had typed myself wrong originally, and as I used myself as a tool to understand my stronger functions, then what I've learnt about the functions would be wrong.

For argument's sake, say I was an INTJ but had self typed as an INTP. Then what I learnt to be Ti would in fact be Ni and what I learnt to be Ne would in fact be Te and what I would think was Ni and Te would just be a patchy undeifned mess.

Does anyone else worry about this? Did everyone else select their type easily and start from there, or did they learn about the functions first?

And if most people did select their type before learning about functions, then can we credibly be confidant in their understanding of them supposing the possibility they learned them wrong?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

^ Yes!!

I originally typed as INFP, then learned about the functions after spending ages waxing lyrical about what being an INFP was like. After discovering the functions, I started defining whatever type of F I use as Fi, and whatever type of N I use (hell, it could be S for all I know) as Ne... then I read the many conflicting versions of what Fi, Fe, Ni and Ne are and decided I was probably ENFP or INFJ or INTP depending on what definition you used... and now I'm completely lost and sorta hoping I'm really an ISFP because damn, those guys are cool.

MBTI
    xNTP

Same here. I've thought I was an: ESFP, ENFP, INTJ and INFJ.

What helped me determine my type was seeing the full - all eight - list of functions for every type. When I read that Fi was the ISTPs weakest process it all became clear. Apparently Fi is, among other things the function responsible for self-knowledge, understanding, etc. And because I don't have a good grasp of who I truly am, it is difficult for me to type myself.

... but to answer the OP, nope. It's not that I don't worry, I simply don't care that much about the accuracy of my determination.
    Last edited by JustDave; 07-27-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer the OP

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    I'm completely lost and sorta hoping I'm really an ISFP because damn, those guys are cool.
    You speak truth.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I preliminarily arrived at my type through my comparisons of MBTI/Keirsey with the FIRO-based five temperament theory I was familiar with. I started by first trying to find parallel behaviors in the types. E/I seemed to fit what we called "expressed Inclusion". T/F and J/P both seemed to fit "wanted" or "responsive" behavior, but I wasn't sure exactly how, yet. And then, I didn't know how S/N would fit at all. Finding out about Berens' Interaction Styles helped a lot, as the final key was the third factor she added to the temperament model: structure vs. motive. This I then realized was wanted Control and Directing/Informing wanted Inclusion, and cooperative/pragmatic as expressed Control. I also determined that Keirsey had gotten Choleric and Phlegmatic backwards when he identified them as NF and NT.
    I was then able to designate all 16 types as two-part Inclusion/Control "blends", and from there match one with my I/C combination, which turned out to be INTP. And it really did sound like me, especially on Paul James' page.
    On the group I was discussing my findings in, people were discussing the functions a lot, and I was interested in them, and began learning them slowly, beginning with dom. and aux, and how they shaped factors like D/Inf. So when I suggested I was INTP, others suggested ENFP, because they way I was putting my theory together, they say, looked more like Te in a relief position. I did not yet understand tertiary or below. So I even went along with that for awhile. But then I began studying all the functions and archetypes, and I determined that Ti is really the "hero" and Te the backup (and often "oppositional").

Some of the problem was in understanding the difference between the introverted and extraverted attitudes of both T and F, as well as the difference between Fi "values" and Ti "principles". I too had readily assumed I related to the Fi concepts of "self", but when I took another look at both the cognitive processes test and the Step II subscales, I see I really didn't. And now I remember that whenever people asked me stuff like "who I was" or "what's important to me", it always went over my head. Fi is almost strictly a stress-related function.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

When I first became interested in Meyers Briggs a few months ago, I tested as an INTP.
    Someone else told me, "No, lol, ur an INFP."
    So, I was like, "Okay that fits."
    I went a few months thinking I was an INFP.
    However, I learned a lot about cognitive functions and realized that T's did possess feelings. That was the reason why I was dismissing myself of being a T.
    I also decided that the Ti/Fe combination worked a lot better than the Fi/Te combination.
    I've been a proud NT since.
    Ti/Ne or Ne/Ti?
    I'm not sure yet.. I guess I could still be an ESFJ or something like that.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Same here. I've thought I was an: ESFP, ENFP, INTJ and INFJ.

What helped me determine my type was seeing the full - all eight - list of functions for every type. When I read that Fi was the ISTPs weakest process it all became clear. Apparently Fi is, among other things the function responsible for self-knowledge, understanding, etc. And because I don't have a good grasp of who I truly am, it is difficult for me to type myself.

... but to answer the OP, nope. It's not that I don't worry, I simply don't care that much about the accuracy of my determination.
    Just Dave, ah, so you're back at ISTP. From reading your posts, I think that's the type that fits you best.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    xNTP

Thanks.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Thanks.
    See, I told you we'd save you a seat on the SP train. I kept it warm by interchanging plates of tacos and hot beach babes in the spot until you came back. Now it's all yours!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    xNTP

I'm definitely back on-board.