User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    XXFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Default How did you discovered your type?

This thread isn't about me or my type at all. I was just curious to know how did you discover you type. Come on, let me hear some stories and analyzes!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I read Keirsey's "Please Understand Me" way back in my 20's.

I just read all the descriptions. I identified partly with INFP... until I read the INTP description. That was that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

LadyLazarus

The functions. I usually used to test as INFP and ISTP, which is why I mistyped as both for a while. I read up on the functions and figured out I use Fi and Se, not Ti and Se or Fi and Ne. In retrospect, considering my function stack it makes sense that I tested as both of those.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Well I wont say I have discovered a definitive type, but I will tell you how I came across the theory.

I was always a lost person, in that I was constantly seeking affirmation of...well everything. This suggests reliance on others to an unhealthy degree of course, not entirely untrue, but not entirely true either. Anyhow, this resulted in a person who wanted to know about themselves, but who hadn't yet realised that experience and exposure to the world and other circumstances is how one learns.

A naive person who thought that he could understand through a vector of what others thought. Pathetic, a notion opposed to itself really; how can a person understand themselves through outside input? Oh yes I understand mirroring and being influenced by an environment and determinism. But that's just surface, even the most outgoing personality has an idea of self, even if it is wholly manufactured. I wanted to understand what that was in relation to myself.

So I ended up looking into theories of personality, although at the time I was too young to know that was what I was going towards. I started when reading a psychological overview of myself from a school psychologist at the age of around 8. My parents had struggled with me from the day I was born and I was an unpredictable and often stubbornly violent child, with a surface nature of reticence.

I became fascinated by an analysis of myself by this figure, perhaps one of the few times I had genuinely seen what someone else thought of me. Then this lead onto astrology and later in MBTI.

And there you go.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

LadyLazarus

Oh! I also made a human sacrifice to Conan O'brien. I think it may have been the key actually. I take everything I said in my last post back.

If you want to find your type make a sacrifice to a mildly famous, dance-y ginger.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Research, doubt, re-research, doubt, re-research, etc. arriving at the same conclusion every time. If I was deciding between two types, I usually just studied both of them until I found a discrepancy.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

A really simple MBTI test. Read the description, did some research.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Professor (INTJ) told the class to take some quiz for extra credit.

When he saw my results, he was like... woah, you're such a rarity in my class, the majority of the people who seem to take these sort of classes were all INTPs (even the class that I was in.) I was like ...... are you trying to say I'm weird for taking courses that tend to skew heavily towards INTPs?

As for the type, it's debatable, some people believe that what I got that day was my type all along. I think some people here still do (like @Elfboy thinks I'm INFP.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by LanaBanana View Post
    This thread isn't about me or my type at all. I was just curious to know how did you discover you type. Come on, let me hear some stories and analyzes!
    That's why its in the What's my Type? forum.

(Why is there no Wonka emoticon?)

ndovjtjcaqidthi

My friend (INTJ) got into it first. He sent me an INTJ description, thinking I would be interested in reading it.

I was mind=blown by how much I related to it, and thought I was one too for a while, but kind of left it at that. Eventually I started noticing differences between my friend and I, so I began looking into the possibility that I might be another type, eventually winding up with INFJ.