• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
because it's annoying when people argue for 5 or so pages back and forth like that... they should take it to each other's walls or pms... especially when it's something totally lame like someone else arguing with someone about THEIR type for that many pages... after a couple of posts it should be clear to the accuser that the argument is pointless :sleeping:

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
So, and think carefully about this; whose problem would that end up being? The analyst's, or the analysand's?
Both..?
because it's annoying when people argue for 5 or so pages back and forth like that... they should take it to each other's walls or pms... especially when it's something totally lame like someone else arguing with someone about THEIR type for that many pages... after a couple of posts it should be clear to the accuser that the argument is pointless :sleeping:
oh.. fair enough yeah, after a couple posts sure, but people here are sounding like if you come across as the least bit confident in your analysis that you might as well have called their mother a polynesian whore.

P.S. JACK FLAK I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN

WHY'D YOU HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING FOR EVERYBODY?!?

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
ok, but there is a difference between 'I don't want to talk about this anymore, so please stop asking' and pages and pages of 'I TOTALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE WOULD EVER QUESTION ANYONE'S TYPE AND PEOPLE WHO DO THAT OR WOULD WANT TO DO THAT ARE IDIOTS AND I HATE THEM'
True. For context, I am thinking about people who go around like it is their mission in the world to tell others that they are mistyped and carry on page after page arguing about it, when it is obvious that the person is not interested in hearing the unsolicited opinion. In my short time here, I have already read some of this, though I can't recall specific threads or members to cite examples.

Making an honest suggestion is one thing, but if they aren't receptive there is no point in continuing and it is just annoying after that.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
True. For context, I am thinking about people who go around like it is their mission in the world to tell others that they are mistyped and carry on page after page arguing about it, when it is obvious that the person is not interested in hearing the unsolicited opinion. In my short time here, I have already read some of this, though I can't recall specific threads or members to cite examples.

Making an honest suggestion is one thing, but if they aren't receptive there is no point in continuing and it is just annoying after that.
ok.

thank you.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Both..?

oh.. fair enough yeah, after a couple posts sure, but people here are sounding like if you come across as the least bit confident in your analysis that you might as well have called their mother a polynesian whore.
What do you have against Polynesian whores?

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9

Correct. :) If you think someone's being defensive, doesn't understand themselves, or whatever the hell, you always have the option to just give it a rest. If someone doesn't want to hear you, whether it's their problem, yours, or a mixture of both, there's not much to be gained from harping on about it, is there? Unless the analyst has an ego-fixation on being right, in which case... rinse and repeat my previous statement on this.

Edit: looks like I've essentially restated Stalemate's post, ah well!

Jaguar

Unless the analyst has an ego-fixation on being right

Which is frequently the case. One of the silliest things I have read in this forum was Elaur's post.
She never revealed the person's name, but someone contacted her in private and said:

"We have to correct your type."

Simply ridiculous.

G

Ginkgo

"We have to correct your type."

Why do you think people do this? Do they find security in it? Are they baiting an argument? It doesn't matter whether they know someone's type or not, or whether it's assessed. And how could you possibly know what someone's type is based upon a few things they've written? I've been on this website long enough to know that there have been people of all varying types, with all varying behaviors, with all varying modes of thought and opinion. While there maybe trends, you cannot use a trend to define the essence of a single person, because a single person does not accurately reflect a trend. This is also why no one should use typology as an end-all be-all to forming opinions about groups of people, because there are so many other underlying factors besides someone's type.

People who do this don't want to get to the nutmeat with interpersonal things. They don't seem to care to.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
There is such indeterminacy in typing one's self that it seems ludicrous to think that you can accurately do it for someone else based on information provided on an internet forum. Even when it has been solicited and is exchanged in a friendly manner.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
There is such indeterminacy in typing one's self that it seems ludicrous to think that you can accurately do it for someone else based on information provided on an internet forum. Even when it has been solicited and is exchanged in a friendly manner.

INFP

(word choices & style, previous choices indicate - INP)
(wants to believe everyone is a special snowflake, doubts legitimacy of typing overall, repeats what has already been said in order to express agreement - F)

:devil:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't think though that when it comes to certain personality traits - notably external ones/behaviors - that outsiders aren't sometimes able to be more objective than you yourself?

I would agree outsiders can't possibly know the inner workings/thought processes, or even motivations, but I do think an outsider would be in a better position to label whether someone was utilizing Te more than Fe, for example. Or Ne vs. Se. I mean, mbti is just a categorical system, anyway - it's not the end all be all. So I guess I've never been offended when others have pointed out something about me... I'm more like, 'Huh? Really?' Now, I may not agree, but it would be interesting to me, as a lot of it can boil down to differing perceptions. So, with that, we also all have different ideas of what constitutes each particular personality type.

As for myself, I guess I've always tended to default my personality type to what everyone else views me as, because for one I don't particularly care, and for another thing, I tend to believe I am not in a position to be completely objective in terms of assessing my own personality -- *in terms of mbti categories* -- although I would agree with those saying it's ludicrous to think strangers can know you better than you yourself do. I'm not trying to contradict myself, I swear. :smile: I know who I am better than anyone else does, BUT I may not be in the best position to objectively place myself into one of 16 categories.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Why is the goal in typing yourself to be objective? It's a preference system isn't it?

"Do I prefer hawaiian or pepperoni pizza? I think I prefer hawaiian but I'll have to ask my friends (or random people on the internet) just to be sure..."

Little_Sticks

INFP

(wants to believe everyone is a special snowflake, doubts legitimacy of typing overall, repeats what has already been said in order to express agreement - F)

kaH_nK.gif

KDude

i'm cool with the opinion of strangers if they seem to know a lot of people or are the same apparent type themselves. not mention if they can discuss mbti well. some people's conceptions are pretty odd tho, and i don't know if they can. it might not even be their fault either. for example, not everyone understands Fi exactly (they hear the words "feeling" and "values" and might conjure up images of Betty Crocker and teddy bears..and it's due to bad wording).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP

More ENTP propaganda. :rolli:

There are as many if not more Ts who make such arguments against MBTI around here.

Let's review: MBTI was created by an INFP.
INFPs are also one of the most common types to be interested in typology. Clearly, we buy into these categories happily.

And that's not even what Orangey's post was saying. She's just saying it's ridiculous to type an anonymous stranger online, especially considering it's hard enough to type yourself. Nothing about uniqueness or questioning the theory.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm clearly an ESFP.

Everyone stop humoring me.