• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyped TypeCentral Members

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, thanks for the thought, but I'm actually not gay.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I heard this thread is fostering more doubt than need be

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Gauche, put the E and the F back in. The whole x thing is freaking me out.

G

garbage

Guys, I think I might be ENFP, or at least ENTP :doh:

Engineering school made me way too scheduled and planning (not to mention perfectionistic, withdrawn, and detail-oriented--qualities that I eventually got over), and I'm coming to find that that's really not me at all. I've actually really come to despise unwavering plans, structure and bureaucracy, others' judgmental natures, and an impersonal view on life. I've just felt happier embracing.. well.. exactly the opposite, and also embracing and accepting a lot of contradictions that I've held about my own personality.

My first counselor was quite a listener, and he communicated with me on a very analytical level.. I'd have typed him as INTP if he hadn't outright told me that he was ENFP.

So I might try that one for a while, if you insane Ne-doms will have me. ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
we'll have you. i kinda wondered anyway. :)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you say so. A few of the things you mentioned despising really don't have much to do with being a J, though.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I picked a random page from this thread and there were many lulz. I picked another and they were there again.

EDIT: 50-post pages. :)

G

garbage

If you say so. A few of the things you mentioned despising really don't have much to do with being a J, though.

Oh yeah, I realize that.. a lot of it can be associated with other personality traits.. it's all just part of the same slow realization that I've had about what I've tended to value most in other people, in the work environment, and so on.

The whole idea of ENxPs being "sponges of knowledge" definitely resonates with me, though.. so does the title of "Benevolent Inventor." I went through a phase where I'd read a type description and pretty much take it on as my own, just as I seem to naturally "fit in" with a bunch of different groups of people. My love of psychology and my interest in humanitarian work might lead me to think I'm more F than I am, but I also can't help but feel like I pick up on social cues that others seem to miss. I also naturally start to mirror others' facial expressions and gesticulations as they talk, and I have to stifle that from time to time :doh:

Who knows.. I'll just keep investigating.. :)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see you're reconsidering your type, and I have always sensed that I did not get ENTJ ("Fieldmarshall") vibes. Have you looked a the cognitive processes?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get ENxP for Greed at first glance

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
me too thursday...kinda always have.

G

garbage

Yeah, ENTP pretty well makes sense.. it's becoming apparent that I don't lead with a judging function, at least. I'm not too bothered by the question of my exact type, but I guess it's an interesting discussion at least :)

In college, I thought I couldn't even be around other people.. but when I gave myself the chance, I absolutely loved it. By the same token, once I got over the mindset that I couldn't pick up on my own emotional state or others' cues simply by telling myself that I could, I quickly began to recognize my own emotions and better understand others' indirect communication. It was a weird transition that I don't even really remember happening.. giving myself a chance at it did wonders for me.

I'm described as an analytical person, and I can logically sort things out, but I've noticed that I tend to take criticism personally. In an impersonal realm like engineering, that can be kind of difficult because few people actually have tact ;) It's taken me a few years to correct for that and to stop taking things so personally, but I do get drawn into that mindset from time to time. Depends on the mood I'm in, I guess..

Despite it all, I'm my own harshest critic, I have high standards for myself, and one of my biggest fears is being seen as unreliable and unable to meet others' expectations of me.

What do you mean by this?

This might not all be related to social cues so to speak, but here are some examples of the general concept I'm pointing to..

Just last night, I was at a friend's house with some others I didn't know. One of the others made some small gesticulation toward his wife (touched her leg, or something.. I forget exactly), and I told him "Yeah, I'm with you".. he asked me to clarify what I meant. I knew that he was ready to leave, and so I clarified that I was ready to leave.

I typically play poker first by reading other people, where my other ENTP friend pays more attention to the cards.

I was in a conversation with two other people, and I could sense one's annoyance at the other.. and, well, the other person wasn't fazed at all. I had to indirectly draw him out of the conversation to "save" the other person.

I saw how my ENTP brother-in-law and EnFJ sister were directly communicating in the form of questions to each other and "called them out on it," so to speak. They hadn't really realized what they were doing.

I can also pick up on whether and exactly how I can discuss ideas with other people.. especially in the realm of conflict. When my ENFJ friend and I get into disagreements, I pick up on when we can discuss things and when we can't based upon what I see about our emotional states. This is something I can't get my brother-in-law or my ENTJ dad to realize.. that not everyone means what they directly say, and not everyone is always open to objective discussion of their issues all the time.. that you have to find either the right time or coax them out of their non-receptive state somehow.

People tend to come to me about their problems and seek my advice. Even at work, these seasoned researchers talk to me about issues that they're facing.. grandiose issues such as mass panic about some sort of drastic change that probably won't happen anyway. I end up playing damage control whenever someone says something during a meeting in a way that disturbs everyone else :doh:

I'm told that I can justify anyone's behavior, and I always seek to find a better explanation for situations involving other people. My boss was about ready to blame some other coworkers for something that wasn't done, but my first thought was to try to find an explanation for why their part wasn't completed. I talked to them about it, and it turned out that, due to their circumstances, they couldn't have possibly started on their task. I reported the details back to my boss, and he proceeded to not chew them out over something out of their control :)

Especially if I'm interested in someone, I can size them up pretty quickly. The night I met the girl I'm dating now, I'd pegged her as an artistic, humanitarian, innocent and somewhat sheltered, open-minded person, despite none of this coming up in conversation (and as shy as she was, there was very little conversation :)). Everything I've learned since then has only verified all of that. With some people, I've been wrong about my initial impressions, but I just change them accordingly.. easy and manageable since I don't judge them based on what I first think about them.

Now whether this is all something I've learned to do out of interest, whether I just do it to the degree that normal individuals can, or whether it's something that comes innately? No clue :)

I see you're reconsidering your type, and I have always sensed that I did not get ENTJ ("Fieldmarshall") vibes. Have you looked a the cognitive processes?

I've read all about them, and certain cognitive processes will resonate with me depending on how I'm feeling at the time or what sort of situations I've been exposed to recently. This has happened with type descriptions ranging from ESFJ :)doh:) to ESTP to ENTJ to.. well, a lot of them :)

Thanks for the "journey through type," all.. I definitely appreciate all of the input!!